Heroes of chaos

Arkiham

I was wondering what other peoples favourite heroes are?

I've recently rediscovered the exalted deathbringer (with the giant axe) and realised how amazing this guy is.

going for the offensive build of ruinous axe and skullgouger this guy if positioned correctly pumps out 5 attacks standard, an with the banner or two that's 6/7, most bloodbound armies run wrathmongers so thats 8. 

and with his offhand ( if you position him in terrain on a 5+ when rolling a save he does d3 mortal wounds, 4+ if you manage to cast mystic shield on him some how.

for 80 points! so cheap you can easily run 2 of them.  

As a Breyherd player: Gorthor the Beast one and only! :D

First because he is cool... No Khrogos Khul will ever be as cool as Gorthor! I mean come on he flayed the shamans to make his own mantle...

In my opinion his synergy with the army is absolutely great. His Command ability is immense on breyherds: turns mediocre gors into nasty little things in a 16 inch bubble which is so good on a horde warband. Add to that the formation special rules that he can benefit from too and his great speed, and what you get is a natural born leader.

As if that wasn't enough you are buying an 8 wound dude with 4+ save, that can regenerate 1 wound per turn or inflict a Mortal one to someone else, who deals d3 Mortal Wounds on a charge, rerolls charge distances, rerolls to wound against heroes, and with the formation rerolls 1s to hit. Oh yeah we're talking abour 6+4+2 attacks (vanilla), becoming 7+5+3 with Furious Breyherd/Wildsalker breyherd formations.

Second on Gorthor, he's the man. Stick him with 30 ungor raiders and get 30 shots with rerolls to hit, he comes out if I'm playing a 2500 game.

For me it's the vanilla Beastlord, he doesn't look like much, but for me that's what makes it for him. I rarely use his command ability, but the fact he can take one of the command traits makes up for it. With a brayherd you are playing inspiring presence every turn anyway, three times if you have the heroes to do it. He runs in my lump of gors, giving them and everything around him extra attacks from the wildstalker brayherd formation on top of the anarchy and mayhem bonus that can grant an additional attack.

If he is stuck in a unit of 30, he's fairly safe, until someone chops through to him...

Getting to the beastlord in a unit of 30 gors pumping out 3 attacks each, with inspiring presence to boot, is not an easy feat. But if you do get to him, there's a good chance he will duff something up with his 7 attacks. Run a BSB with him and you can get 7 attacks, 2s and 2s, rerolling wounds if the GBS is near. He's going to kill stuff.

When he does kill something, he decapitates his fallen foe and everyone around him goes mental! 

Using his command ability with a command trait can grant a +2 to hit, and once I got the unpredictable destruction off on a unit of ungor spearmen, giving a mighty +3 to hit. By far the best spending of 80 points for me. With a general at 80 points, you can get multiple 30 man units going, which is precisely what you want with brayherds. People won't go get him because he's only a vanilla beastlord, but by the time they have realised he is making the entire army go mental, it's too late. Usually because you got a first turn charge in because beastmen are so dam fast, or he came up behind you :D 

I know! Minotaurs suck know, but then they always did. In 8th they did anyway, never played in 7th. I'm loving every game with goats at the moment, and the best bit is I think you still only need two hands to count the proper beastman players in the world, so nobody has a clue what's coming to get them!

My absolute favourite line to pull is "I'm finished." Before I've even deployed anything. No chess game for you. Oh and What's that? A gunline shooting army? From which side of the table would you like me to charge you first turn? This truly is a golden age of goats. Death armies still kick the ****** out of me, but having my sweet revenge on all the stupidly dressed empire, elves and dwarves who have shot me to bits in times past, is sublime.

Glad to see more beastmen players, I seriously considered picking up some dhring end times but I think until they get a battletome I'll hold off.

I get the feeling the beast men army will end up similar to orruks. Ironjawz and bonesplitterz. With the big elite guys and the horde style army.

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently refound the Lord of chaos, having initially written him off as mediocre, 

While building a khorne army I was a bit stumped as to what lord to take, so decided to delve into the slaves to darkness. 

With my current list, I can add a additional 3 attacks per melee weapon,  so 6 total to him. Taking him up to a mighty 12 attacks, likely on a 2+ and he can reroll 1s.

With his main attack doing 2 damage with 2 rend this lord can easily be underestimated and can provide a very hard hitting damage output for a reasonable 100 points 

3 hours ago, Arkiham said:

I wonder if you have to pay for the daemon prince/spawn  thing. As it's replace rather than summon 

I've always done it as replace. You went out of your way for your lord to specifically kill the enemy general and now you're gonna remove him for some more points for free. Its entirely situational. Also a spawn isn't exactly the best unit in GAC so if he dies the spawn definitely will.

I think it's a replacement too. Factored into the points of the Lord and likelihood of him pulling it off.

Ive been looking into Beastmen as well lately. Looks like I'll be putting together an army of them after my Bloodbound, Daemons of Khorne, Warherd and Slaves to Darkness armies. The plan is to put together 2000 of each and then mix and match for all sorts of Khorne-marked Grand Alliance shenanigans.

the Doombull takes it for me. The value he brings in a warherd is immense. Wounding on 2s with -2 rend and getting more attacks on 5s is beautiful. Also while someone up above said minotaurs aren't good I had to stop bringing them here because it wasn't fun to roll over everything with little to no resistance.

Tretch vs Skarbrand - just keep on fleeing on a 2+ every turn - almost as much of a troll as Kemmler!

What is the benefit of retreating strait after charging?? Not being a ******, I'd like to know [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the benefit of retreating strait after charging?? 

He retreats after someone charges him! It's amazing. He's like the king of chaff. He can troll a Khorne army for days.

You could also use it to longbomb onto an objective - move, charge, retreat and run in one turn.

Archived