Competitive Wanderers / Aelves Discussion

Nicard

I'm looking to build a competitive Wanderers army with general support from Aelves. I really like the Wild Rider and Sisters of Thorn models. I haven't had much time to check out the Aelf war scrolls, but wanted to see if anyone had some cool combos or competitive success using Aelves against the current meta and top tier armies.

A wall of (about 30) Eternal guard guarding/blocking your glade guards and sisters of the watch  while your eternal guards were buff by sisters of the thorn. 

A lore master from Eldritch Council to buff the Way finder's hail of doom arrow.

Using heavy cavalry like drakespawn Knights and dragonblades to charge and pin enemy in place while you countercharge with executioners in subsequent turns.

Hey, love anything aelf, so had to comment. I think the sisters' of the thorn spell work great if you can find ways to get +'s to the save rolls, and there is a lot of potential to do that with a Phoenix. When you cast shield of thorn on a phoenix, in addition to the spell effect, you get to add 1 to the save roll via its ability attuned to magic. Then, if you have another caster, say a spellweaver, and cast mystic shield on it as well, you add another 1 for the save roll, and get to add another 1 for attuned to magic. So now, on your Phoenix save rolls, you are adding 3 to the dice roll. So against attacks w/o rend, on a save roll of 3+, you deal a mortal wound. And it could go to a 2+ Save roll causing a mortal wound if another spell goes off(friend or foe) within 12 inches of the phoenix. Not only would the Phoenix be dishing out a high amount of mortal wounds from save rolls, but it would be hard as hell to kill, as you would have your regular save, your reroll save from shield of thorns, and, if you have an annointed on top(which you can mount with no additional point cost), your 4+ ward save. AND, if you picked the flamespyre phoenix, and your opponent happens to manage to dish out 12 wounds to this beast, you have a 50% chance of resurrecting it with full wounds! As such, I think this would be a great model to absorb enemy melee while you shoot away with your many ranged aelf options.

Edit: left out one thing, for attuned to magic to work you have to roll a 2+ for each spell

A lot of my mates tend towards the Ol' rush them forward tactic so I feel sitting back loosing volleys across the battlefield with a block of eternal guard to take the impact of their force works well as defence for that

A block of eternal guard

Block of glade guard and sisters behind

2 units of waywatchers

Noble behind giving them reroll to hits

Maybe a nice cheeky wyldwood ranger unit or two in the flanks to go monster hunting or support the eternal guard

I feel the old days of Wood Aelves being fast hit and runners are gone due to glade riders and wild riders not being what they used to be...

Just my two cents

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On September 13, 2016 at 11:55 PM, Nicard said:

I'm looking to build a competitive Wanderers army with general support from Aelves. I really like the Wild Rider and Sisters of Thorn models. I haven't had much time to check out the Aelf war scrolls, but wanted to see if anyone had some cool combos or competitive success using Aelves against the current meta and top tier armies.

Here is a list I've put together that meets your criteria:

Wanderer/Aelves 2k List

• 280     Flamespyre Phoenix with Anointed [General]

• 260     Frostheart Phoenix with Anointed

• 260     Frostheart Phoenix with Anointed

• 200     Teclis 

• 100     Spellweaver 

• 200     Alarielle the Radiant       

• 220     Sisters of the Thorn

• 200     8 Glade Riders {Battleline}

• 200     8 Glade Riders {Battleline}

• 80       3 Waywatchers {Battleline}

With this build you have the three phoenixes, all with 4+ ward saves, as your primary front line.  More importantly, they are supported by 4 caster units that can out put 7 spells between them, making their armor save a base 5+ with a bonus of +4 to +5 on each one.  For utility: Teclis offers a debuff that halves enemy movement; Alarielle has a heal that heals for 1d6 to a model (i.e. Phoenix) that grants an additional 6++ ward save; the Spellweaver has a spell that restores 1d3 models to one of the Wanderer units (which most are 2 wound cavalry units); and most importantly, the Sisters have the buff that gives a re-roll on failed saves that will almost cause auto-wounds on all saves because of the Phoenix's attuned to magic bonuses).  Your battleline consist of two highly mobile units for grabbing objectives, and a less mobile set of archers (left over points).  Your biggest challenge will be keeping your casters within range of the phoenixes, but this will hopefully be offset for the catchup round by the fact that they gain similar bonuses when enemy casters cast as well.

Archived