We stride upon the Feasting Plains UPDATE 11/24/16 The Road to Waaaghpaca!!!

Beardbattered

I'm currently running

Frostlord on Stonehorn 460

Frostlord on Thundertusk 420

Mournfang Pack 200

Mournfang Pack 200

Mournfang Pack 200

Gore Gruntas 180

Gore Gruntas 180

Braggoth's Beast Hammer 160

That's 2000 on the dot. "Battlelines?" You may ask, well seeing that the Gore Gruntas are part of a Beastclaw Battalion, they gain the keyword "Beastclaw" when creating an army list. Once in game, they go back to having the Ironjawz key word, hence the 3 x 2 Mournfang Pack for Battleline.

The entire army can be set up as 2 drops: The entire battalion, then the Frostlord on Thundertusk. You can choose to go first and tie ennemies up with a few units while having the rest grab objectives. The whole army is cavalry, speed is the strong point. Turn one, your opponent might have to roll a battleshock test for himself!

1 hour ago, Braggoth said:

I'm currently running

Frostlord on Stonehorn 460

Frostlord on Thundertusk 420

Mournfang Pack 200

Mournfang Pack 200

Mournfang Pack 200

Gore Gruntas 180

Gore Gruntas 180

Braggoth's Beast Hammer 160

That's 2000 on the dot. "Battlelines?" You may ask, well seeing that the Gore Gruntas are part of a Beastclaw Battalion, they gain the keyword "Beastclaw" when creating an army list. Once in game, they go back to having the Ironjawz key word, hence the 3 x 2 Mournfang Pack for Battleline.

The entire army can be set up as 2 drops: The entire battalion, then the Frostlord on Thundertusk. You can choose to go first and tie ennemies up with a few units while having the rest grab objectives. The whole army is cavalry, speed is the strong point. Turn one, your opponent might have to roll a battleshock test for himself!

How much success have you had with this in generals handbook missions from an objective standpoint. 

I have an ironjawz force currently and love the way beast claw look so have been interested in this formation for a while. 

Any insight @Braggoth?  

I haven't played tons of games, so what I have played may be just luck (or my opponents not knowing how to face me), but I have had great success, undefeated in 5 games.

The low model count may be underwhelming, but the fact that you decide when and where close combat will be happening is the major winning factor. In the first mission (Take and Hold I think), a major alpha strike can give you control of the enemies point easily while you can send a few units to tangle up enemies that are coming for yours.

Second scenario is easy to control points if you have first go, and place your units on the borders of the objectives. Or send in 2 Mounrfang or the Stonehorn to get stuck in any huge units your opponents might have.

Escalation is a weird one, played once so not an expert or anything, but how I won is by focusing one of the outer points turn 1 and 2, and rushing everything to the middle point turn 3 with the help of Stonehorn and Thundertusk

Three places of Power is any easy one with 2 heroes that can get there turn 1 and tank a few hits, but use the cavalry (again) to tangle up the enemies as long as possible.

Did not play 5th and 6th mission, but it comes down locking in combat the right units of the enemies (usually the huge units), to grab early points, and a little hero (or key unit) snipping with the thundertusk.

A fun army to play, you can see despair in your opponents eyes when they lose half their army battleround one, due to the pile in and attack twice from the battalion.

On 10/14/2016 at 9:48 AM, Undead4Life said:

I'm starting to think I'm over-painting my characters. In general, how many layers or techniques do you use on Gundalm's skin or the Stonehorn tusks, for instance? I seem to end up with about 6 layers of paint on certain parts of certain models and I just feel there has to be a simpler answer! 

Honestly, for skin in particular I do tend to do quite a few layers.  Skin is just one of those things that you need to put some depth into in order to really sell the look.

But, other than skin I really don't go too crazy.  Most things are just a base coat with a wash and a highlight.  Keeping it consistent and choosing the right colors to achieve the effect you want will go a LONG way.  

The Stonehorn's horns for instance are just a blue, a lighter blue and white for an edge highlight.  Right on top of my black primer.  Get a little sloppy?  No problem.  Just brush on a little bit of primer to tidy it up. 

• 5 weeks later...

It has been far too long since I've posted last.   I've been working to get our local AoS community on its feet.

As part of this, we have a local Armies on Parade event coming up, and I've been hard at work trying to get my Beastclaw to a tabletop standard for it.  Once this is finished I'll be fancying things up for Waaaghpaca!  I am super excited to play and hang out with a load of new people.  Maybe I'll bring my camera along and do a few reports if anyone would be interested.

Anyway, this is the stuff I'm currently speed painting.

Here's a close up of one of the riders. 

20161114_194504.jpg

And all of them together, waiting for their mounts to be finished. 

20161114_194600.jpg

8x Mournfang base coated and getting details tomorrow night. 

20161114_194256.jpg

1x mount for a Huskard

1x mount for beastriders

Heads and tails magnetized.  I should have really magnetized the saddles and weapons of the riders too, but I just got hit with a case of the lazies.  I'll probably regret it down the road. 

20161114_194725.jpg

And the board that I am building for them.  This is my first time doing anything like this, so I made quite a few mistakes.  In the end it turned out okay though.  After the 26th I will also be revisiting the board to add some more fun stuff! 

20161113_155458.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My first 2k points are finally tabletop ready!  I am so excited!  It's been a ton of fun getting these guys painted over the past month.  Now, I know this is far from the most competitive build for the list, but I thought it would look visually striking on the display for my local store's Armies on Parade.

The board itself is contained in an antique humpback chest that was made in about 1850.  The chest was originally about 6 inches too wide to fit into my allotted 2 foot by 2 foot area for the AoP event, so I actually had to shrink it width-wise by 6 inches.  In the end I think it turned out pretty seamless.  Well worth all of the sawing and prying out old rusted nails!

The lid was filled with a banner made of felt, made to represent the Sovanheng Alfrostun, which my force is meant to be a part of.  I think this serves as a pretty nice looking backdrop for the army, and really makes them stand out.  

Now the plan is to get my nose right back to the grindstone and really fancy this up for Waaaghpaca! at the end of January!  Well... maybe right after my Thanksgiving turkey coma, lol!  

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

Archived