Terrain sculpting using different modeling putties

Aztok

I'm planning a somewhat simple modeling job of gentle hills and slopes for a swamp-themed basing system. I have both green stuff and brown stuff available to me, but waaaaay more brown stuff. The idea was to form gentle dips, troughs and slopes with corkboard, before softening the edges with the green or brown stuff, before painting over it with mud texture paint and then using UV resin for the water. Do you guys have any good advice for using green or brown stuff as terrain modeling? I can't find Modpodge anywhere near me, or I'd try using that first.

On 2/12/2022 at 7:28 PM, Aztok said:

I'm planning a somewhat simple modeling job of gentle hills and slopes for a swamp-themed basing system. I have both green stuff and brown stuff available to me, but waaaaay more brown stuff. The idea was to form gentle dips, troughs and slopes with corkboard, before softening the edges with the green or brown stuff, before painting over it with mud texture paint and then using UV resin for the water. Do you guys have any good advice for using green or brown stuff as terrain modeling? I can't find Modpodge anywhere near me, or I'd try using that first.

Have you looked at Luke's APS YouTube channel? He has an online shop (geek gaming scenics) that sells terrain modelling compound that sounds like what you're looking for. There may be cheaper alternatives though.

Edited by MarkK

If you're making it for hills, make hills from something else and cover them with the modelling putty. Foam will be a lot lighter and cheaper (which you'll be doing). 

You can mix green stuff and brown stuff, they are all epoxy putty and this will make their properties a mixture of the two.

Brown stuff is more easily sandable and managable with water, but less flexible and shrinks a bit.

UV resin is an option, but I think just pouring acrylic water might work better in the long run, unpainted UV resin can become brittle or change colour over a long time.

Edited by zilberfrid

Thank all of you guys for the replies! This is some great info.

On 2/15/2022 at 12:45 AM, zilberfrid said:

UV resin is an option, but I think just pouring acrylic water might work better in the long run, unpainted UV resin can become brittle or change colour over a long time.

I have some brown coloring, I'm not super worried about it changing color, the pools are very small, and with the coloring they'll look like brown muddy water.

I'll definitely look into the supplies and channels you folks recommend. Thanks again!