Lets Talk Deathrattle

ElectricPaladin

I have just decided that it would be a shame to waste the Wight King I painted for WHFB and to give up on trading my Black Knight bits for Hexwraith bits, so I'll be starting Deathrattle as well - it will be convenient when I get the Start Collection! Skeleton Horde box for all the models plus Mortarch kit that come for an additional $5.

Talk to me about Deathrattle and its strengths and weaknesses. The 1d4chan article is particularly anemic.

Grave guard are amazing, and the wight king banner makes it frustratingly hard to kill things. I've faced it and I couldn't get a major victory because it took forever to chew through the units even with a ghoul King on a terrorgheist. I only managed to kill his grave guard by popping red fury and getting the double turn. But the damage output of anything but grave guard in the death rattle section is pretty poor. Ten ghouls grind down five black knights if neither unit has buffs.

Grave guard are amazing. I recommend the great weapons as our shields are worthless. Black Knights are garbage in almost every way. Skeletons with spears in large numbers with a death hero remotely near by are very good although they collapse under any sustained attack quickly.

Necropolis Knights are our best deathrattle unit and should get all our buffs.

12 minutes ago, Oppenheimer said:

Grave guard are amazing. I recommend the great weapons as our shields are worthless. Black Knights are garbage in almost every way. Skeletons with spears in large numbers with a death hero remotely near by are very good although they collapse under any sustained attack quickly.

I just recently noticed Necro Knights were a part of the gang.

What makes Black Knights so bad? What would make them better but not op?

24 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

I just recently noticed Necro Knights were a part of the gang.

What makes Black Knights so bad? What would make them better but not op?

cost/benefit

skellies are 80 for 10 wounds, BKs are 120.

Yeah, they are more moblile, but skeleton horde is a thing, and skellies tend to be a better choice for this.

Don't discount having a unit of Black Knights though. They are fast. You can keep them back for some late game objective grabbing, or grabbing an objective turn 1. 

If you're playing matched play, it's worth reading the 6 missions and build a list that will help you win.

For example, 1 mission requires heroes, and their are three objectives. If you have less than 3 Heroes you will be at a massive disadvantage for this one. Likewise, there is a mission where your units comes on in parts. If you don't have anything fast moving to put in the group that turns up on the 3rd turn, they could end up doing nothing for you. In short, read the missions :P

2 hours ago, Oppenheimer said:

While I know this is true, the last time I looked, Necropolis Knights were somewhere in the neighborhood of $100usd a box.  Which is a bit much for most of us.

So I sort of feel like we should be looking for solutions elsewhere.  I mean, I have a box I purchased before the end times, and plan to build them, but I don't think I can justify purchasing more at this point.

What are you folks doing about this?  I mean with everyone suggesting them as a viable solution, I can't imagine you are all running around dropping $100 a pop on OOP models.  Are you doing conversions, or just relying on models you had before they went OOP?

For expensive Necros I would recommend 40K Necron wraiths 

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Necron-Canoptek-Wraiths

Can double as Necoknights if you paint them less sci if and put a skeleton with a spear on top.

Black knights have only 1 attack plus mount and their save is destroyed by one rend. They just don't have any hitting power. Even horse archers are better in my opinion because they get ranged while still being fast.

2 hours ago, Denneysman said:

I went with Nid ravagers for my Necro knights. also alot of folks don't notice the war sphinx is a deathrattle too.

Oh snippy snap! Mortarch proxy conversion here I come!!!!

Deathrattle has become the equivalent of 40k Orks. You have to convert everything. Ha!

Re: Black Knights

I don't really get the hate. Returning d3 two-wound models a turn is pretty good, and at 120 per five, you can pretty easily field a unit of ten or more, even in 1k or 2k games. They don't need great saves or Rend resistance when they can just keep coming back. It seems to me that in the context of Deathrattle, a tarpit/harasser that can reach out and touch you is pretty cool. They're sort of like flayers for Flesh Eaters - a distraction/tarpit that can pass as a bully if need be.

Iam a big fan of the blackknights, they just never seem to get whiped from the battlefield. The damage output is lacking but with a buff from the general or magic casters they can do pretty well on the charge, after that their combat ability is abyssal...

It might not be our strongest unit, but strategically they are one of the best.

Archived