AoS 3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Arzalyn

Well for one, I think Sylvaneth was in the same situation a few editions back, with Kurnoth Hunter spam. That did not last.

I don't like armies that lean too much into one unit, it's not fun to paint and in the long run it becomes either boring to play or it becomes obsolete. I'm fully aware that not everyone feels that way!

Cheers!

Edited by Nixon
spelling
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

No points changes for us in the GHB but we finally got Hobgrotz as battleline!

"For each Gutrippaz unit included in your initial army, you can take 1 Hobgrot Slittaz as Battleline unit"

It should make Grinning Blades lists easier to build now with 180 points free from the Gutrippaz tax (assuming you area already including a unit of Hobgrtoz).

• Like 1

Although no point changes feels disappointing, we might benefit a lot from the new bounty hunters battalion.

2 MW on 5+ and 3 on 6+ on Gutrippaz/Boltboyz sounds like it could get us a lot farther than what we currently have.

What do you guys think?

38 minutes ago, Takyz said:

2 MW on 5+ and 3 on 6+ on Gutrippaz/Boltboyz sounds like it could get us a lot farther than what we currently have.

What do you guys think?

The battalion works only with melee weapon sadly, so of those two just the Gutrippaz would benefit. It should help them a by, but I'm a little worried it will also make them even easier to take down as they also receive more damage from units in that battalion.

2 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

The battalion works only with melee weapon sadly, so of those two just the Gutrippaz would benefit. It should help them a by, but I'm a little worried it will also make them even easier to take down as they also receive more damage from units in that battalion.

Pretty much anything that could kill a mega would kill 20 gutrippaz, and that stuff already existed, there might be more of it now, but I don't think its a huge issue.

BH is a good choice for gutrippaz, 20 with a shaman and sludgeraker go from 20MW to ~33, and the kinds of units gutrippaz struggle most with are blobs of wounds, which are usually infantry.

I don't think the changes make gutrippaz good, but its probably a net positive for them.

1 hour ago, Magnus The Blue said:

Such a massive improvement for Grinning Blades, they become the hard counter army for most shooting list and even some magic heavy ones.

Longstrikes you say :D

Yeah this buff is huge! With this buff + Hobgrot counting as battlelines I imagine we will finally see grinning blades becoming more popular. Maybe even surpassing big yellers!

Vulcha killaboss and Gobsprakk were kinda of buffed with this change. The issue two redeploys/reroll the dice becomes a lot better in grinning blades as it can take units outside of their shooting range with a good roll.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

As someone who has dabbled in Grinnin' Blades quite a lot in the last few months, I'm pretty certain that those two changes will do a lot for us. 

There is a list that dealt with shooting armies pretty well and that just got better. A lot better, especially as magic is also affected by the special rule. I'm hopeful!

re gutrippaz I would agree they still look very over-costed but to add to what others have pointed out, the new 2-rank fighting rule also makes it so we can go hakkas for an improved wound roll. 2x10 gutrippaz + 2x10 hobgrots in grinnin blades seems like a solid base for list-building now. 

Hopefully at some point they fix either scare shields (to not be a joke) and/or poison (to be useable also when in combat) and we are looking at a world where the price tag starts making some more sense..

• Like 1

The third unit of Gutrippaz gone is really a big deal. Especially as grinning' blades played hobgrots before so there is no change on that front, you just got 180 more to do stuff with. Especially as 2 units of gutrippaz are enough anyway, even if/as you want to field them.

• 3 months later...

From the meta watch article today:

"At the bottom end, Kruleboyz and Gloomspite Gitz both continue to struggle, and have suffered at the hands of Bounty Hunters. Both factions should expect significant boosts in the next Battlescroll. "

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/29/metawatch-how-the-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-team-uses-tournament-data-to-balance-the-game/

The article says the battlescroll is coming soon, so lets hope we get good enough changes to help us rise from the bottom of the meta

• Like 1

The fact they lay the blame on bounty hunters is a sign they don't understand whats wrong with KB.

The only units even hit by it are boltboyz who die to a stiff breeze, hobgrots who we get killed intentionally, and gutrippaz who everybody avoided playing as much as possible even before bounty hunters.

The army needs significant rewrites, but I don't have any faith in them fixing it.

• Like 1

They did right by nighthaunt eventually. i think kruleboyz can be polished and tweaked. 

One thing that really bothers me is when a model doesn't reflect its stats, Boltboyz have quite a bit of armor on but you're telling me they have the same save as a tiny grot in a robe?... O_o 

At the very least give gutrippaz -1 rend while you're at it. 

On 9/30/2022 at 2:04 PM, Ganigumo said:

The fact they lay the blame on bounty hunters is a sign they don't understand whats wrong with KB.

The only units even hit by it are boltboyz who die to a stiff breeze, hobgrots who we get killed intentionally, and gutrippaz who everybody avoided playing as much as possible even before bounty hunters.

The army needs significant rewrites, but I don't have any faith in them fixing it.

There's a good chance they know that's not it but can't say "we wrote ****** rules".

It's the same when they talk about "margin of error" for the balances to suggest that most armies are actually at a 50% win rate. There's a really good break down of it by the Honest Wargamer.

Anyway, I'd likely think this faction and gits will get the biggest improvements and it's unlikely they actually think it's dounty hunters causing the problem since they have the data. Even if they did though, unless they specifically made a rule that interacts with that key word, making the faction stronger against bounty hunters by making them cheaper or killier or sneakier or whatever, will still improve the win rate.

Kruleboys will need some point drops, but that will be band aids.

As of now they just throw too many dice to maybe get some effects. A lot of streamlining is needed. Maybe even a 3.1. battle tome.

But all in all they’re quite fixable, although they might need a second wave for that.