Kunning' ruk - the next big thing?

Sadysaneto

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Biggest thing to take from the Warlords event is the sheer number of different armies. There were 7 Moon clan Grot armies which was the most of any one faction. And even those were all identical. 

There are soo many different options, it's what makes this game so awesome!

20 minutes ago, shinros said:

There are ways to deal with it as people noted in the topic. I suspect when the tournament happens again players will be aware they have to deal with such a thing. 

Basically If I had attended my thought process would have been: "Jesus that Kunning Ruk proper scary! Good job nobody is going to be able to paint that many models in time for Warlords."

Hobby blindspot! I'm sure the Facehammer guys probably figured it was a list they'd have to worry about further into the future. 

8 minutes ago, RossMHoward said:

Basically If I had attended my thought process would have been: "Jesus that Kunning Ruk proper scary! Good job nobody is going to be able to paint that many models in time for Warlords."

Hobby blindspot! I'm sure the Facehammer guys probably figured it was a list they'd have to worry about further into the future. 

Well it must of been a lot of green considering the amount of models he has I am sure many thought the same when they attended. :D Honestly I am the weird one in my GW store I keep being attracted to horde armies. -.- Death, Devoted of sigmar and clan pestelins. *sigh*

I think a lot of the hard counters would be fine with a sideboard, but they aren't going to cut it in a fixed list.

You would need at least 4 Fulminators - that's 440 points plus a Vexillor. 640 for which he can get 40 bodies (80 wounds) plus some heroes.

Good as they are - putting so many points in Fulminators is going to cost you badly against other lists and on Battleplans where high model count is vital.

On 12 September 2016 at 4:51 AM, Malakithe said:

Yeah he had 2 Kunnin which is nuts. Buts it's a tournament so that's what it is. 

Would you bring that to a friendly 2k game? No way. 

But yeah even if you kill the hero you still get to deal with 90+ shots twice. Buffs or not you'll kill anything...except for Fulminators lol 

Nope I only had one Kunning Ruk. And yes it is is enough. 

The issue with try army is getting it finished in the time. Also it's not much fun for your opponent. 

If it worked quicker it wouldn't be so bad. The dice rolling just takes forever. 

On 12 September 2016 at 8:58 AM, RuneBrush said:

What I found interesting is that fielding large armies means your games are going to take forever.  The last game of Warlords overran and still didn't have enough time for all five battlerounds...

We were prevented from starting on time due to technical difficulties with the equipment. Was a pain waiting to start knowing how long it would take to get finished. 

8 hours ago, Sedge said:

We were prevented from starting on time due to technical difficulties with the equipment. Was a pain waiting to start knowing how long it would take to get finished. 

That wasn't a dig by the way!  From a spectators point of view we were all keen to start watching dice being rolled :)

Out of curiosity were you finding that on the whole you were able to get all of the game turns in?  One of the comments made in the commentary suggested that games could take a while because of the number of dice being rolled in both the hero and shooting phase.

Sadly not. I was rolling hundreds of dice a turn. Sometimes in excess of 5-6 hundred. 

This is a big issue with the army and may see its limited use in independent events I think. It's a case of watch this space. 

The army was great from a competitive point of view but is beatable with the right tactics and army. 

3 minutes ago, Sedge said:

Sadly not. I was rolling hundreds of dice a turn. Sometimes in excess of 5-6 hundred. 

This is a big issue with the army and may see its limited use in independent events I think. It's a case of watch this space. 

The army was great from a competitive point of view but is beatable with the right tactics and army. 

Are dice rolling apps the future of horde armies?

It´s a strong army but I see so many answers to this. For example my brother will take a combination of the Order Draconis formation Dragonlords host and the Seraphon formation Shadowstrike starhost to a tourney in a month. That army is not constructed to beat this but would absolutely shred it. Masscharging with 15 Dragon blades, a dragon and 6 Ripperdactyls in turn 1 would make a green mess of the orrukks before a single arrow would have hit the air.  

Why would he let you touch the Archers with an alpha strike. Surely 80 wounds of Orruks in a ring to chop through first. 

Also why would you get first turn, they can take a single drop formation for the entire army. 

Also alternating activations - he would shred Rippers if you attacked with Dragon first or vice versa - apoarently they are quite good vs monsters....

I'm pretty sure Sylvaneth could beat it; flood the board with as many wyldwoods as possible which allows for much teleporting, if there's a wood close enough to the arrow boys to get Drycha within 10" in your first turn (and only have to be 9" away with the spirit paths) that's 40 mortal wounds on 3+ right there, which would make for a hell of a battleshock phase if they didn't have inspiring presence. As someone else said, snipe the bosses with kurnoth hunters and once the bosses are dead less dryads are gonna die from shooting with their -1 to hit and 3+ saves in a wood (why wouldn't they be in a wood?). If you can get the branchwych in with her unleash spites spell (and that would be easy with teleporting and the silverwood circlet) that spell alone could do a fair bit of damage. A unit of Revenants could use their waypipes to find the big bosses that are hiding and so on... Perhaps all of this is only doable because Slyvaneth have the newer generation of battletome, I'm sure as and when the other books catch up ways to beat this, and possibly even more "broken" lists, will present themselves. Either way, I'd love to play against this army to test my theories. It was a great game to watch too (for everyone bar his opponent)

Archived