Managing the balewind vortex.

Arkiham

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree changing to 100pts and 7+ is not the best solution.

My expectation is balewind can help weak wizards to be considered again, but not that beneficial for those powerful ones due to lost their melee ability. The old Balewind is Ok but just need some restrains on a few models like Archaon on horse and Korak. I am really willing to see some dark elf sorceress greatly enhanced to be shown again.

Now this change actually remove the possibility for lesser wizard to use it. They are not even 100pts by themselves and they are very likely to fail 7+.

However, Korak is least impacted by this change. He just got 20% more points to trade for double range and immune to  charge, which I think still usable. Actually he even gets a lower chance to fail the caste.

It does if you fail to cast it. they updated it,

I'm fairly sure that this was always the case. It was never entirely risk free.

My expectation is balewind can help weak wizards to be considered again, but not that beneficial for those powerful ones due to lost their melee ability. The old Balewind is Ok but just need some restrains on a few models like Archaon on horse and Korak. I am really willing to see some dark elf sorceress greatly enhanced to be shown again.

Now this change actually remove the possibility for lesser wizard to use it. They are not even 100pts by themselves and they are very likely to fail 7+.

Yeah - they've legitimised Kroak abuse (thankfully long out of fashion) and made it harder to use the Balewind for debuff wizards which really need it. Now I can only see the Daemonsmith plus Balewind Vortex combo being a pricey sideboard choice against Bonesplitterz. It was in a pretty good spot right before they added the points cost. My solution of a garrisoned building but without points was better.

I see Festus and the skaven archmage as being pretty good on these. Also, the lowly rot bringer sorcerer becomes almost unkillable if he gets a couple spells off (+1 wound on a 4+) Could be an arcane bolt threat, at least.

I'm really thinking of running two of these. One with Sayl, and one with some other schmo. IDK, maybe a herald of Tzeentch?

I'm quite happy with the changes, because I love my Tzeentch wizards but prior to the nerf (OTT as it might be) packing one of these felt too dirty to really stomach. Now I'm paying a cost for it, but getting a boost that my favourite models really need - particularly the new Gaunt Summoner. He lives to get annihilated by Judicators and Warp Lightning Cannons as it is: he deserves one last ride on the magic tornado before he goes.

Archived