Getting back into Aos

Perry89

Hey everyone i have taken abit of a break from Aos for awhile, and im just coming into 3rd edition. I picked up the battletome and been reading through it, and im having some trouble trying to find a 1500 point starter army. Is it hard to find a general all rounder list at this point cost?

4 hours ago, Perry89 said:

Is it hard to find a general all rounder list at this point cost?

Yes, fairly hard, you have too many options

🍷🧛🏻‍♂️👍

Elite VloZd hunting squad with knights and wolves down to the never ending shambling mob… 

and that just gets „worse“ with the special characters like Radukar, belladamma, big boss or the throne.

a well rounded list (imo) was played by mini wargaming Luka on YouTube 

VloZd, 2 vamps, 2x20 guards, 2x20 skellis and 10 wolves with the burning head, if memory serves correctly. The guards are brutal if they get a good charge off.

i personally miss knights and a necromancer but that is just preference.

5 hours ago, Perry89 said:

Hey everyone i have taken abit of a break from Aos for awhile, and im just coming into 3rd edition. I picked up the battletome and been reading through it, and im having some trouble trying to find a 1500 point starter army. Is it hard to find a general all rounder list at this point cost?

In General:

20 Grave Guard Are a good starting point.

If you want damage: Vampire Kord on Dragon

If you like to Troll: Mannfred

If You like wolves: Go Vyrkos with 20+ Dire Wolves.

My usual army consists of:

2x20 Grave Guard

Wight King on steed (general -> makes the Grave Guards Battleline)

1-3 more heroes, depending on taste (Necromancer, if you go Skeletons heavy)

2x 10 Dire Wolves or

40 Zombies + 10 Dire Wolves or

Skeletons

Add some Blood knights /Vargheists

fill remaining points with fell bats or a minimum size skeleton unit

and you are done.

Units you‘ll usually want to bring: Belladama, Mannfred, VLoZD, Grave Guards, bodies.

Edited by JackStreicher

The new christmas battlebox will be a pretty good starting point if you want to go down the path with skellies and zombies. Needs a necromancer to use them, and then you can add another hero of your choice.

The good thing about the book is except for the Black Knights you could probably make a good list with most units so there is not One Good List like some other battle tomes. 

alot of good information here, iv seen mentions of the throne is it a good support peice? 

also with the chrissy box coming out is there a correct Lineage with foot troops like zombies, skellies graveguard?

Edited by Perry89

hey everyone i just through this together to see what i could fit in 1500pts i have no idea with spells, artifacts any help would be awesome.

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords
- Lineage: Legion of Blood
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Wight King on Skeletal Steed (130)
- General
Necromancer (125)
Mannfred von Carstein, Mortarch of Night (380)

Battleline
20 x Grave Guard (280)
- Great Wight Blades
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Grave Guard (280)
- Great Wight Blades
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Deadwalker Zombies (115)
20 x Deathrattle Skeletons (170)
- Reinforced x 1

Total: 1480 / 1500
Reinforced Units: 3 / 3
Allies: 0 / 300
Wounds: 104
Drops: 7

I'd swap to Vyrkos, swap the WK to VL and have him supporting one unit of grave guard for the +1 to wound and +1 attack. You can give the VL the free command point trait or the free 5 wolves one (which is commensurately stronger the lower points you play), as for an artifact you an go amulet (admittedly Blood's artifacts are better than Vyrkos') for the VL but Arcane tome on a necromancer is always a great shout. 

The Necro spells are all fantastic but the ones which are -1 to hit and -1 to attack usually are most effective. 

As for Vampire spells probably just go for Pinions so you can position him wherever is best for his bubbles. 

If you're keen to keep 3 battleline despite it being 1500 points split the skeletons into two units of 10 and use them for screens / objective holding / summons.

(Edit: If you don't have the VL then the WK can grab the amulet and keep the same choice of command abilities above. You can still grab an extra artifact and give the tome to the Necromancer.)

Edited by Wordy9th
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Perry89 said:

i have no idea with spells, artifacts any help would be awesome.

Looks good…

@Wordy9th was faster… and speaks true

(i would throw out the king for a vamp (+1 attack ca) and split the skellis, they are supposed to die as speedbumps for the GG…)

Dynastie most are interesting, for your list I would favor blood or vyrkos.

spells depend a bit on your opponent. From Vamp lore: spirit gale, pinions, transference and orb are to he considered (VloZd with trans vs Giant is nice; gale vs low bravery remember -1 from units; pinions if you want to be quick, orb if opponent brings msu with low hp)

Just too much flexibility in GL for a solid recommendation, you’ll need to try out what works for your mindset/playstyle and against your local meta… 

Edited by Honk