Tzeentch in the desert

Mako

Hi all, 

I'm returning to the hobby after many years (15-20?) out of it and have fallen back to the army I used to collect as a child, Chaos. Having grown up in the ages of square bases and all things Chaos coming in one nice big book I'm a little confused about some of the army building side of things and wanted some advice. Now admittedly I don't own any of the new books, so a lot of my questions could just be answered by "buy the books and look it up" but also having never played a game of AoS, I'd like to test the waters before plunging in. 

I'm definitely more keen on having an army with a theme that I think is cool rather than it be ultra competitive (although I'd still like to win the odd game) so my main plan is to build a sort of desert dwelling tribe who worship Tzeentch. To this end I imagine it being mostly mortal based (and more leaning towards Marauders than Warriors) but with a few of the smaller daemons (horrors, flamers etc) thrown in for fun. Having downloaded the AoS app, I have fiddled around on the Storm Forge section and with my (very basic) understanding of the rules I think I have enough to make a basic 500 point army. I spoke to the guys at the local GW and they said once its all painted I can bring them in for a practise/learning game. Here is what I have so far:

Exalted Hero of Chaos, he will be my general. At present he is represented by one of the Warriors of Chaos from the Start Collecting Box. I grabbed him off eBay as a test model to see if I actually enjoyed painting. Eventually he will join a regiment and become a regular Warrior but for now his different pose (and glowing blue sword that I'm very proud of) mark him out as a bit special. 

Chaos Sorcerer Lord. He is represented by the Corvus Cabal Shrike Talon. I love this model and he fits the vibe of tribal shaman so perfectly.

10 x Chaos Warriors

10 x Chaos Marauders, converted from the rest of the Corvus Cabal box. Really like these models and think they make really cool Tzeentch themed Marauders with all their bird iconography. I want to continue this theme throughout the army, my Hero and all of my warriors have feathers on their weapons and shields and I have decided that all my unit champions will have a bird familiar. 

From my reckoning this comes to 495 points and looks legal right? I know that's probably not too important for a learn to play game but I'd like to start building things in the right direction. My understanding is that I need two battle line units which I have in the Warriors and Marauders and a general. So far so good but I'm still confused by a few things...

Army type: Cabalists, despoilers, idolators etc...I really have no idea what these are and how they affect things.

Other factions: As mentioned above, I'd like to include some of the daemons such as horrors but I think they are part of a separate army. Can I include these in this army and how would I do that? Likewise I want some chaos hounds but they seem to be part of the beastmen so not sure how I squeeze them in. 

Battalions: I've seen people mention these in lists on here, what are they?

Sorry for all these noob questions, just trying to get a bit of a grasp on things as I'm already eager to purchase more stuff to paint and trying to focus my direction a bit! 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2021 at 3:43 AM, Mako said:

Hi all, 

I'm returning to the hobby after many years (15-20?) out of it and have fallen back to the army I used to collect as a child, Chaos. Having grown up in the ages of square bases and all things Chaos coming in one nice big book I'm a little confused about some of the army building side of things and wanted some advice. Now admittedly I don't own any of the new books, so a lot of my questions could just be answered by "buy the books and look it up" but also having never played a game of AoS, I'd like to test the waters before plunging in. 

I'm definitely more keen on having an army with a theme that I think is cool rather than it be ultra competitive (although I'd still like to win the odd game) so my main plan is to build a sort of desert dwelling tribe who worship Tzeentch. To this end I imagine it being mostly mortal based (and more leaning towards Marauders than Warriors) but with a few of the smaller daemons (horrors, flamers etc) thrown in for fun. Having downloaded the AoS app, I have fiddled around on the Storm Forge section and with my (very basic) understanding of the rules I think I have enough to make a basic 500 point army. I spoke to the guys at the local GW and they said once its all painted I can bring them in for a practise/learning game. Here is what I have so far:

Exalted Hero of Chaos, he will be my general. At present he is represented by one of the Warriors of Chaos from the Start Collecting Box. I grabbed him off eBay as a test model to see if I actually enjoyed painting. Eventually he will join a regiment and become a regular Warrior but for now his different pose (and glowing blue sword that I'm very proud of) mark him out as a bit special. 

Chaos Sorcerer Lord. He is represented by the Corvus Cabal Shrike Talon. I love this model and he fits the vibe of tribal shaman so perfectly.

10 x Chaos Warriors

10 x Chaos Marauders, converted from the rest of the Corvus Cabal box. Really like these models and think they make really cool Tzeentch themed Marauders with all their bird iconography. I want to continue this theme throughout the army, my Hero and all of my warriors have feathers on their weapons and shields and I have decided that all my unit champions will have a bird familiar. 

From my reckoning this comes to 495 points and looks legal right? I know that's probably not too important for a learn to play game but I'd like to start building things in the right direction. My understanding is that I need two battle line units which I have in the Warriors and Marauders and a general. So far so good but I'm still confused by a few things...

Army type: Cabalists, despoilers, idolators etc...I really have no idea what these are and how they affect things.

Other factions: As mentioned above, I'd like to include some of the daemons such as horrors but I think they are part of a separate army. Can I include these in this army and how would I do that? Likewise I want some chaos hounds but they seem to be part of the beastmen so not sure how I squeeze them in. 

Battalions: I've seen people mention these in lists on here, what are they?

Sorry for all these noob questions, just trying to get a bit of a grasp on things as I'm already eager to purchase more stuff to paint and trying to focus my direction a bit! 

Thanks!

It's hard to judge a list at 500 points, so finding a local path to glory campaign that lets you slowly build your collection would be your best bet.  If you can't run out and get the books, you can get a lot of details from the AOS app or from Battlescribe (the better armybuilder).  You won't be able to include daemons except as allies. You could potentially bring some of your Slaves to Darkness units as coalition units for a God-specific book that would be daemons, but coalition units can't be battleline or generals, and they lose many of the faction abilities.

The battalions are new force organization for your army. They are explained in the free and available online AOS 3.0 rulebook.

Edited by TerminusRex