Stacking

lare2

Question

When rolling to hit, you can only ever be +/- 1, just like with saves, etc. However, and again just like with saves, is it possible to stack plus and minuses? Therefore, could I be on a +2 to hit, which could cancel out a -1 to hit and still give me my +1 to the dice roll? If so, can someone point me to this in the rules? 

2 answers to this question

The sidebar next to 1.5.5 Dice Modifiers (on page 60 of the General's Handbook, I don't know the page number for the core rulebook) says:

In most cases, modifiers are cumulative. However, some dice rolls, such as hit and wound rolls, will specify that the roll cannot be modified by more than +1 or -1. When this is the case, add up all the modifiers that apply, and if the total is more than +1 or -1, treat it as being either +1 or -1 as appropriate.

(emphasis mine)

Thus you can stack as many +1s or -1s onto attack or wound rolls as you want, but ultimately you only care if they are a positive total in which case you get a +1; a negative total in which case you get a -1; or 0 in which case you just take the straight die roll.

Your example of stacking +2 to hit and being affected by -1 to hit is correct, you would take a +1 to hit overall. Similarly if you somehow had +100 to hit and -50 to hit, you would end up taking a +1 to hit overall.

Edited by Dogmantra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

The sidebar next to 1.5.5 Dice Modifiers (on page 60 of the General's Handbook, I don't know the page number for the core rulebook) says:

(emphasis mine)

Thus you can stack as many +1s or -1s onto attack or wound rolls as you want, but ultimately you only care if they are a positive total in which case you get a +1; a negative total in which case you get a -1; or 0 in which case you just take the straight die roll.

Your example of stacking +2 to hit and being affected by -1 to hit is correct, you would take a +1 to hit overall. Similarly if you somehow had +100 to hit and -50 to hit, you would end up taking a +1 to hit overall.

You're an absolute hero. Thank you very much for this. Found it in the GH.