Experience with Hinterlands (Co-op)

Ferban

So I was perusing through some of the W+ vault and found an issue of White Dwarf that provided some co-op rules. It's not a full game and probably only marginally balanced (plus written for AoS 2.0). But it looks fun-ish and seems like a great way for my 7 year old to play (she's been wanting to play, but it's a little beyond her just yet).

Anyone try this out or have some experiences or stories to share?

• Like 1

Hinterlands is great! I never tried co-op and only had some test games against myself, but it was easy to get into and a lot of fun. I even ended up creating an advancement/skill system for it, based on the skills in the GHB2019. Then I realized I just built a mediocre Mordheim game and left it all for the original. 😄

Balance shouldn’t really matter all that much in a co-op game. Have some random events ready to tip the scales a bit if needed/wanted, and have fun.

• Like 1

Just wanted to give an update.  I had a chance to play two sessions of Hinterlands with my kids (ages 9, 7, and 5).  It went remarkably well.  My oldest is my main gaming partner, so he was all about it.  But the two younger ones had a blast living out the story and spending time with dad and their older brother.

I picked the Lord-Relictor as my hero, since that gave me access to some nice healing I could spread throughout the party.  And one of my kids picked the Kinght-Judicator so that they got some Gryph Hound friends.  The other picks were a Melusai Ironscale and a Bloodwrack Medusa.  

The battleplans were, perhaps, just a little bit repetitive, but overall pretty fun.  And the cooperative nature really helped to keep everyone involved and feeling good.  Since there was no "loser" all the kids were pretty happy.  

Overall, it was a good experience and the kids are asking to play even more.  If you're looking to introduce wargaming to younglings, I think this is an excellent approach.  

• Like 1