ElectricPaladin

Who is your favorite Mortarch?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which One?

• Arkhan
    • Mannfred
    • Neferata

Has to be Nef for me.

Fluff wise I think she has one of the best stories (the book by Josh Reynolds is incredible).

In game the ability to create Vampire Lords, hit on 2s and protect your units within a big bubble is really powerful.

Arkhan is a good Mortarch but is basically a toned down Nagash. 

Mannfred is a douche. His model looks douchey and he blew up the planet like a massive douche. 

Gotta go Arkhan.  As Stokeyben points out, he is sort of watered down Nagash, but I'm a skellies guy, and so when it get's down too it, I prefer the skellies over the vamps.

Obviously it's purely an aesthetics choice in this case, but I can't help it.  Also, he and Nagash are sort of all that's left of the Tomb King lore, so there will always be a bit of nostalgia for me.

1 minute ago, MechaBriZilla said:

Gotta go Arkhan.  As Stokeyben points out, he is sort of watered down Nagash, but I'm a skellies guy, and so when it get's down too it, I prefer the skellies over the vamps.

Obviously it's purely an aesthetics choice in this case, but I can't help it.  Also, he and Nagash are sort of all that's left of the Tomb King lore, so there will always be a bit of nostalgia for me.

I used to love Arkhan for the same reason but I have now built a while aos army around Nef.

Mannfred, Fun to play in the table top and strong on the table top. Plus he is an interesting character. Even if he did blow up the world nagash still considers him a child/son and is too reckless at the worst of times. 

Plus nagash stating why he value's him so much was quite interesting. 

4 hours ago, MechaBriZilla said:

Calling Arkhan and Nagash sort of all that's left of the Tomb King background is like saying Archaon's sort of all that's left of the Empire background. ;) 

It'll be awhile before I get around to my undead, but thought I'd post!

Arkhan all the way here.  I always love the "right hand dude" archetype (but also enjoyed that in one of the stories he wasn't sure he wanted Nagash back).  I hadn't even heard of him until I started reading the End Times books and then I was like "WTF have I been missing all of my life!?"

I neeeaarly started a Tomb Kings army during the End Times just to play him.  I did go a little crazy and picked up some used VC, and then bought Nagash and him new.  Then Mannfred screwed it ALL UP.

Even though I'm firmly in the Chaos camp with like 5 armies going for them, Arkhan is still my favorite character.

Tactically... I got nothin'. -.-

I just wanted to feel like someone would listen to me *weep*

I probably should elaborate on my vote.

I love Mannfred because of the Bond villain type swagger he has, just before it all goes badly for him. He's a victim of his own scheming and ego.

I also like the models they've made for him, and he was the first character model I ever bought for my army, way back in 6th edition.

Doesn't half hurt that he generally has decent rules. I've blown him up with miscasts so many times in the previous game, I swear I should have just fielded a big chaos vortex on a base.

Definitely Neferata. She was good in end times and in AoS. She seems the most level headed out of all the Death characters left. I like that Nulahmia had mortals living in it. Unlike Nagash and Mannfred she actually tries to work with Sigmar because she's crafty and knows that allies are in short supply.

Plus, her fluff in her rules are great and it's nice to have more ladies in AoS.

Neferata, simply the most charismatic one. 

Followed by Arkan, I loved him moreover in EoT, but also his "classic" Bg is quite awesome.

Mannfred has a noce model, but I see it like low-school bully who tries to appear dangerous and mess itself everything.

Okay... for myself, I'm leaning towards Neferata. I know she has the least reason to be working with my Flesh Eaters, but maybe she appreciates the courtly airs they try to put on? Maybe she's a closer ally of or teacher to my necromancer, who has a connection to my ghoul king?

Anyway, model-wise she's a clear favorite for me - slick, deadly, regal, and a little bit sexy, but not a ******-out bimbo.

Rules-wise... there's issues. She's got scornergy with my Nighthaunts (because her spell just gives them what they already have, but not in a way that stacks) and her ability to spawn vampire lords doesn't really do anything for me. On the other hand, her command ability is good, because with my ghouls getting buffed by a king, debuffing my opponent is great, whereas Mannfred's reroll won't stack with the reroll they get from my king. That said, her rules are probably better than anyone but Arkhan's for my purposes, and I'm just not super excited about his model. It's not bad, but I'm just not really into skeletons. It's part of why I'm not getting Nagash in the foreseeable future.

Don't stop the thread on my account, though! Plus, it's going to be a while before I've got the $80 to blow on a put-together plastic dame, so if you're an Arkhan or Mannfred partisan, you've got time to convince me!

49 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

Don't stop the thread on my account, though! Plus, it's going to be a while before I've got the $80 to blow on a put-together plastic dame, so if you're an Arkhan or Mannfred partisan, you've got time to convince me!

Could always find someone to go halfsies with you on the Start Collecting Deathrattle kit.  The kit is 5 dollars more than Nef on her own, and comes with the skellies and black knights as well.

(It shows Arkhan on the box, but it's the full kit, so you can build Nef or Manfred. )

9 minutes ago, MechaBriZilla said:

Could always find someone to go halfsies with you on the Start Collecting Deathrattle kit.  The kit is 5 dollars more than Nef on her own, and comes with the skellies and black knights as well.

(It shows Arkhan on the box, but it's the full kit, so you can build Nef or Manfred. )

That WOULD be a deal. Or, alternately, I could buy the box, build the black knights as hexwraiths, and use the skeletons as summon fodder...

17 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

That WOULD be a deal. Or, alternately, I could buy the box, build the black knights as hexwraiths, and use the skeletons as summon fodder...

Certainly an option. 

As far as I'm concerned there is absolutely 0 reason to buy a Mortarch model on it's own as long as the Deathrattle start collecting box is a thing.

9 hours ago, Oppenheimer said:

Definitely Neferata. She was good in end times and in AoS. She seems the most level headed out of all the Death characters left. I like that Nulahmia had mortals living in it. Unlike Nagash and Mannfred she actually tries to work with Sigmar because she's crafty and knows that allies are in short supply.

Plus, her fluff in her rules are great and it's nice to have more ladies in AoS.

She is only working with the stormcasts and attempting to be their "friend" in the lord of undeath since she is trying to use it to free herself from servitude to nagash. Which nagash clearly saw and contuined manipulating her through out all her plotting without her knowledge. Plus allying with sigmar is pretty much sigmar slapping you in the face and laughing at you considering the information Mannfred reveals to Nagash what sigmar is doing with the stormcast.

I am with Mannfred that sigmar is an enemy. 

I would like to elaborate on my post I like all three but my favorite is Mannfred. I do recommend for all death players and people who like the mortarch's to read Lord of Undeath. Since you also get nagash's view on three of them. Plus what is the current grand "plan" for nagash. 

Nagash's views on his mortarch's. 

Mannfred 

Likes: Highly intelligent, Great wizard, Resisted chaos the best out of the three. He also has a twisted mind that he appreciates greatly(Who else would see his ploy of getting revenge via killing everyone? Neferata also notes he is the kind of person who would chase you to the end of your days if you wrong him.) which put's him at a higher level of scheming than neferata according to nagash because of how twisted his mind is and how he plots. 

Note:He is the only one he calls child/he also calls him prodigal son. 

Dislikes: He tries to be higher than his station, Reckless and he overestimates himself. 

Neferata. 

Likes: Good at scheming, Great Wizard and her trait that nagash's value's is how she can twist mortals and corrupt them utterly to her service. 

Dislikes: His chief dislike is that all her schemes and plots don't go beyond the flesh and never higher. She either is too conservative or pushes too far with her plans which screws them up. 

Arkhan is kinda funny. 

Arkhan

Dislikes: He is TOO devoted nagash explains he does not really "grow" in a sense or have any sort of ambition. 

51 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

The BL novel Lord of Undeath by C L Werner. Pick it up if you remotely like undead, easily the best AoS novel to date.

Agreed, one of my favourite parts is when the lord celestant has "dinner" with the flesh eater courts that was great. :D If you are a death fan I do recommend the audio drama/mortarch of night(novel version) and lord of undeath. 

Archived