Cursed City Expansions?

Gwill_of_the_Woods

3 hours ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

I think people are working on the assumption that these models were intended for Cursed City expansions but were released independently when Cursed City hit whatever roadblock it did. There is no evidence that that's the case and, personally, I think it's unlikey for most of them but Radukar the Beast seems like a no-brainer for an expansion. Hopefully with some new minions in tow.

I mean it still doesn't fit that he isn't pushfit, as much as he of course thematically makes sense. Also his base is bigger than anything ever done for WHQ. The oval bases for Kritza and Annika also don't make much sense for WHQ.

Far more likely the extremely old rumor engines haven't shown up yet because they're related to expansions.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On the off-chance we get Expansion news soon I’m wanting the crazier Mortal Realms races to pop up if they’re pulling stuff for more one-off character ideas.

An Aetar eagle-warrior princess flying in from Ghur with an invite from the beastly Vyrkos council (who want her animal blood to control their totem transformation). A hulking Gholemkin or mechanical Cogman from Chamon shipped in by the Kharadron hero from his home realm for a clock-meat shield. A void crawler from within a cracked Stormvault awakened from Radukar calling in the Nadir and slithering towards the city. A glimmering hero-ghost questing from the Hallost underworld to save the day. The Sylvaneth embassy having a gentle waterkin Naereid hiding nearby in the harbor and get fished up along with a more sinister Valay squid-smith who begins playing his deadly word games to get his tentacles on more Death realmstone to forge.

There’s all kinds of otherworldly peoples to explore in a city from the Realms. :D

Edited by Baron Klatz

• 4 months later...

Now that this expansion has been confirmed, I'm curious to hear what people think of it. Some people seem upset that the miniatures have to be purchased separately, but seeing as this is coming out so far after the other stuff, I'm not surprised. Many players will already have Annika or Kritza...

GafoiZQwAhmGR6Lp.jpg

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/02/tackle-a-trio-of-terrifying-vampires-in-nightwars-the-upcoming-expansion-for-warhammer-quest-cursed-city/

Yeah I'm really excited and glad the models are not in the box as it will keep the price down. They still need to be careful how they price this. For me this shouldn't be more than £35 (using GW prices) but hoping it's lower to quell some of the disappointment for a lot of the fans that wanted minis bundled in it. This, and a reduced price seperate box for the needed models would go done way to alleviate that. 

This was never the original plan to reduce this as it is. Obviously the issues they had have made them have to cobble this together.

It's the content I'm most looking forward too. New quest book! Brilliant, hoping there's completly new missions to refresh as I've been playing some games to level up to 5 and it is a bit toothless now. The hunt missions are tough as it starts in nighttime but after the initial opening rounds it goes back to the same old (really need new enemies!). I started with Vargskyr ,2x nightguard, 3x bloodborn and 5 zombies. Took one hero out and one to one wound left, I was able to win but once you killl the four starting it becomes a bit easier. Sake issue with scavange as I've bought all the enhancements I want now

Deliverence is too easy now, with the traits I have plus some good gear on with extra move and attack shenanigans it easy to keep clearing rooms at a solid pace. 

New standard missions 

We'll get new decapitations 

I'm hoping for new enemies and encounter cards, fell bats, dire wolves, bigger mixed groups. Even though they're dead I've started allowing the villains to come on just to keep it fresh.

New crises hopefully 

Not sure how the new doom, victory and hunting mechanics and what those eye tokens are for! 

There is a ne empowerment shown and new traits! I'm wondering if you discard the traits you've accrued and start again. The loremaster is split into two paths? If so that's cool. Also that symbol for new the cards looks like a wolfs head? Is that to easily seperate stuff between expansions?

I've really enjoyed the gane so far and I'm so glad expansions are coming. I'm hoping for even more than Blackstone forstress got and with some little story snippets in there. 

Would live to see on top of this some expansions to get more hostiles into your games. Maybe now with nightwars and the fight to rule the city others are trying to grab power.

Flesheater and nighthaunt  expansions with models. New encounters and mission type. Bit of story finishing with a decapitation of the leader. Secret envelope with a rune in. Maybe an expansion like the dreaded ambull with you having to hunt down a terrorgheist (or new undead beast)

I thought radukar the beast would be the final boss but I like the thought of him rampaging around and belladamma could be that instead.

Loads of scope for the future hopefully they pull it off!

Thing is the people who have those models already are likely just the soulblight players. Everyone else has no "reason" to own those models over getting others for their armies. So chances are many people who would otherwise buy a model and rules expansion are currently not owners of those models. The risk with separating rules and models in the case of a boardgame is that one of the attractions of the board game is the model discount ontop of the game parts.

There's an added risk because CC launched during Corona and that royally messed up new games getting actually played for anyone. So there's a graeter chance of there being more than a few sets that sold to eager people who have yet to actually play or play more than a few times. 

I do wonder if GW might do a limited time period bundle deal with models and the game content in one go. It's certainly bold and curious to have a model board game release an expansion with zero models but which requires models to actually use. Especially when those models, if bought on their own right now, easily comes to as much as Cursed City itself with far fewer models and zero boardgame parts. 

Price is going to be a massive consideration on this set and my worry is it might kill CC even more rather than be the spark that brings it back to life. That's a concern for the future as Black Fortress and CC both had great model designs and creativity and i'd hate to see a poor release of CC suddenly destroy the Quest game line as a whole. Especially when GW clearly made great pains to have CC integrate fully into the core AoS game. Suffice to say I'm very on the fence with how this will go down. Its clear that CC is still suffering from whatever disaster(s) caused its problems when it released and that, for whatever reason, things are still not smooth sailing.

It's definitely not smooth sailing but it is back and it is having expansions. This Nightwars expansion was never meant to be released this way. They've had to change tack with it.

I think if it's competitivly priced, there is a separate own the models needed bundle and a speedy move into the next expansion that includes new models then it would and should be fully redeemed in everyone's eyes.

It's unlikely we'll get all three but I feel having a no model box is fine as a one  off, would prefer to see the option of models at a discount in a second box but for me I want to play the game and don't care about proxying so this is better for people like me I suppose as it will cost me less to play more 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sharkbelly said:

It looks like the Nightwars box allows people to play with Radukar the Beast and Fell Bats as well, so that's cool.

warhammer-quest-cursed-city-expansion-ni

But is this it then? Feels like Radugar the beast would the final challange. I would have loved rules for many more units and bosses. Like the Ghouls and vampires from undergrounds. Or more advanced skeleton units then just guards. And what about extra playable characters?

Yeah I don't think they'll be a decapitation of Radukar the beast. That's for a future  expansion surely?

I think this just allows him to roam around the streets as an encounter. I think we'll get the decapitations for the three named vampires. They'll still be more expansions tied to locations and new adverseries like a ghoul court, nighthaunt district etc . Radukar will be final boss

Edited by CDM

On 10/1/2022 at 11:34 AM, Sharkbelly said:

Glad you guys got your copy! Here it is already no longer available online..

Fingers crossed it's back soon and not limited. Zero reason for them to limit expansions for popular games!

Been thinking of future expansions (hopefully everyone's not sick of it by then with all this rubbish!) but although not announced they'll be more coming.

Wishlisting obviously but going by how powerful your heroes are by end of nightwars I think new heroes will be entering the city and once these mini expansions have come out and you e levelled up again they'll be the final showdown with Radukar the beast.

Slay the beast expansion. Radukar the beast maybe a couple more Bloodborne?

Van Denst's expansion. The van Denst's models , dire wolves. New vampire, they've tracked it here from Excelsis? Play with only 2 players. Mini quest book and story. Add components to main game

Slay the Duke. Grymwatch models new heroes (Sylvaneth, kurnoth hunter and tree revenant from sylnaveth embassy) two player campaign with a mini quest book add components to main game.

Slay the briar queen. Nighthaunt models, warrior preist and some acolytes/fanatics. 4 player campaign with mini quest book and use parts in main game.

I'd also like to see some fell guardian type missions like the Vargskyr one. Now they've added bigger base rules in. Could be cool to get these super crisis events linked to found items like the black rose and sword tokens! Kill an abyssal terror before it kills 10 villagers, fight a zombie dragon which is crashing around reducing board tiles as you go. A necromancer who's raising new grave keepers!  

That's obviously a perfect list there for me! I did think this game would end up at the very least as big as Blackstone Fortress. Tie in novels etc. Hopefull they can get their proverbial in to gear and get this mess sorted. Get the stock on the shelves GW!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 11:34 AM, Sharkbelly said:

Glad you guys got your copy! Here it is already no longer available online..

If you happen to be in the UK, Zatu Games claims to have 3+ in stock (it's sold out everywhere else, but they seemed to have a problem with their in-stock marker until today so perhaps people weren't buying it from them): https://www.board-game.co.uk/product/warhammer-quest-cursed-city-nightwars/

On 10/12/2022 at 9:28 PM, DeLewko said:

Now that we know that expansion minis dont have to be push fit do you think Awlrach The Drowner might also be an expansion character? He would fit on the map in the docks area that we got with the original release. 

Can't see any named characters coming in bit would live it if he was a generic nighthaunt boss. Same with the new grave guard underworlds warband. Would live to see am encounter card with those on!

The Nightwars quest book outright states this is first expansion which is great news!

Also looking at the redrawn map it still shows the gheistgale and the clot not occupied by the three vampires and even has a paragraph for both. This makes me think there is still expansions to come for these. 

Although the Barrowmark isn't on the map it mentions shuffling creations of Torgillius roaming the halls. Even mentions Halgrims body dissapeared.

I think it's likely there's three of four mini expansions and two more big ones. One that introduces new heroes and one as the final boss.  Not sure if models included or not though