Unpopular opinion thread

5 hours ago, Orbei said:

It's important that the start of every syllable is included in the acronym. To avoid confusion. Hence, SBGL.

Other favorites are HDNOSN, OSABR, LMNRL, and KRDOVL.

Just strip unneccesary words and you're not that much longer. Slaanesh instead of HDNOSN. Easier to read, speak and write.

Just now, EccentricCircle said:

It might just be a certain anti AoS bias, but most people I know are calling them "new vampire counts"

Now that's just inefficient shortening. I also think it sells them short with models like Lauka Vai and the Cursed City models. Though there is a clear callback to the gothic vampires that also inspired the Counts.

If you want an abbreviation, one uppercase letter for main words, one lower case for words like the, and, to etc and perhaps one to avoid confusion.

Like F, Se, Sy, SE, LR, KO, CoS, HoS, DoT, StD, BoC, SoB

But in two+ word factions, only one is enough and I prefer writing words.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Just saw the terrain thread and I got another thing i wanna rant about: the terrain rules in AoS are mostly utter shite. Also, as much as I like the way some of those models look, many of them are highly impractical

Yeah, they are kinda awful. They somehow end up not covering the basics and being too complicated at the same time.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Definitely G-Lords 😎

Source:

I'm a Gravelord, I'm a straight-up G!

The vampire life is the life for me.

Stabbing fools by day, drinking blood by night,

Being a vampire is hella tight!

I love the skaven, just for their much easier way of communication, especially when it comes down to the lesser races.

lumineth (and any other elfs)->pointy ear-things, Orks and goblins-> green-things,

dwarfs-> beard-things, manlings-> man-things,

any chaos faction that isn’t the skaven. ->.        
weak-things, anything that is as big or bigger them an oger-> big stupid-things, anything that ones had a live and currently serves the big meany Nagash->dead-things

there is no better-best (and probably more racist) denomination, then that of the rat folk

Edited by Skreech Verminking

All-out Attack and All-out Defense should cost 2 command points instead of 1.  Not because I play GSG and don't have powerhouse heroes or gargantuan behemoths like everyone else does or anything.  I just enjoy competitive integrity.  No other reason...  

Also Mystic Shield could stand to have a 7+ or even an 8+ cast value for how powerful it is right now!

Edited by Dingding123
  • Like 2

On 11/9/2021 at 7:17 AM, EccentricCircle said:

It might just be a certain anti AoS bias, but most people I know are calling them "new vampire counts"

I wouldn't say AoS bias, but more just a straight up wash and hang of the old vampire counts book.  The cover art has the same pallette, the models are literally vlad von carstein design language and they've just reinvent and resculpt practically all your models from the ground up - skeletons, dire wolves, bats, zombies, blood knights etc.

It's great really, as its what most other factions would kill for. chuck in a good dose of new centrepiece personality models etc and you're good to go.  They truly are the army you can pluck and put straight back into warhammer fantasy and not bat an eyelid.

My money is still on them getting a new zombie dragon at some point as I can't see the golden wonders being the only ones to start dragoning up in the coming age of the beasties where the tithe of 95 bones will be the new normal for such winged frolics.

Unless you're a khorne player, then you can pony up 400 bones... well .. divides by 8 and drives you into a blood crazed raging frenzy innit.

• Like 2

Do not choose an army based on the minis you like. It is a popular thing to say but since this hobby demands your time and money you can easily end up with an army you absolutely hate playing which means you'll never want to actually play again. Do you research, ask around, and get your head in the game and then adapt whatever army you end up liking into the look you like. There's TONS of different themes you can do. Do you like chaos but prefer stormcast models? Use stormcast model and convert/kitbash or simply paint them like the chaos faction you want to play. Anyone who tells you you can't is not worth the time of day.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

Do not choose an army based on the minis you like. It is a popular thing to say but since this hobby demands your time and money you can easily end up with an army you absolutely hate playing which means you'll never want to actually play again. Do you research, ask around, and get your head in the game and then adapt whatever army you end up liking into the look you like. There's TONS of different themes you can do. Do you like chaos but prefer stormcast models? Use stormcast model and convert/kitbash or simply paint them like the chaos faction you want to play. Anyone who tells you you can't is not worth the time of day.

I agree about conversion, definitely do what you want to do and use the models you want to use.

As to picking models you like, rather than ones you'll like playing, I have a counterpoint...

Rules change. What might be fun to play today might not be in six months time. If you buy based on rules and game play, then you will have a solid army right now, but over time it will wax and wane as they all do (except beastmen).

Whereas if you get models you like, then you will have those models forever, and while their star might rise and fall, they will always be what you enjoyed collecting in the first place.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2021 at 4:16 PM, Skreech Verminking said:

I love the skaven, just for their much easier way of communication, especially when it comes down to the lesser races.

lumineth (and any other elfs)->pointy ear-things, Orks and goblins-> green-things,

dwarfs-> beard-things, manlings-> man-things,

any chaos faction that isn’t the skaven. ->.        
weak-things, anything that is as big or bigger them an oger-> big stupid-things, anything that ones had a live and currently serves the big meany Nagash->dead-things

there is no better-best (and probably more racist) denomination, then that of the rat folk

Just admit it, you'd think the Skaven way would be best even if they used really long descriptions for the other races 

12 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

I agree about conversion, definitely do what you want to do and use the models you want to use.

As to picking models you like, rather than ones you'll like playing, I have a counterpoint...

Rules change. What might be fun to play today might not be in six months time. If you buy based on rules and game play, then you will have a solid army right now, but over time it will wax and wane as they all do (except beastmen).

Whereas if you get models you like, then you will have those models forever, and while their star might rise and fall, they will always be what you enjoyed collecting in the first place.

I get and appreciate the hobbyist side but what I mean is it is going to be one heck of a barrier to play a game with an army you end up hating. I think the 'rule of cool' and 'rules change but minis are forever' is something that resonates a lot stronger with people who are already in the hobby as opposed to just starting out. Games got to earn that kind of commitment.

• Like 3

On 11/9/2021 at 4:00 AM, MitGas said:

Just saw the terrain thread and I got another thing i wanna rant about: the terrain rules in AoS are mostly utter shite. Also, as much as I like the way some of those models look, many of them are highly impractical

This definitely does not belong in an "Unpopular Opinion" thread...

Unpopular opinion:

A0S 3.0 didn't make the game better, it just gave more tools to be be bad. The list building isn't straight forward anymore and controlling lists for an event is a mess. The rules book is written in a dreadful way, since the  definition of actions and rules is often all over the place. Rules bloat began with the first AoS 3.0 GH and is still a mess.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Battlefury said:

Unpopular opinion:

A0S 3.0 didn't make the game better, it just gave more tools to be be bad. The list building isn't straight forward anymore and controlling lists for an event is a mess. The rules book is written in a dreadful way, since the  definition of actions and rules is often all over the place. Rules bloat began with the first AoS 3.0 GH and is still a mess.

Agreed 100%. So far AoS 3 has been a gigantic leap in the wrong direction. They really need to hire people that are actually good at game-design if they wanna keep up with the competition. Right now, they got great models and an amazing legacy but that's it. The rules bloat make it tedious for anyone that doesn't know them by heart. it's difficult for new players now.

• Like 6