Unpopular opinion thread

1 hour ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Thanks.  From reading several other threads on the site though you start to get the impression that if you sign up for W+ you’ve somehow betrayed the AoS team by crossing the picket line.

And I do fully understand without the 40k app the equation looks different.  As regards the free model I get it not everyone benefits but there are plenty of ways to recoup that cost by selling them.

What I don’t understand is the idea that everyone who is only in AoS and not interested in 40k holding out for more AoS content is a viable strategy.  Spent way too much time around algorithms to have any doubt that if the AoS content they have put out isn’t getting clicks the solution next budget cycle will NOT be to double down on more AoS content.  

Won’t argue with those who want to wait for whatever reason but if what you want is more AoS content good old Lord Algo dictates that you want as many other AoS fans signed up and clicking on AoS content.

Simple really, GW is not a tiny content creator who needs our money and support to get off the ground. They are a business and if they do not have faith in their own product, why should I? Same reason I don't excuse them for their poor QA testing on their rules and so on. The excuses people make for GW would be fine if we were talking a small studio with limited funds but we're talking about the single largest tabletop gaming company on the market who announced record levels of profit.

In other words, if a service is created with 80% content for X and 20% content for Y, you can't stand there surprised wondering why the content for Y is getting a lower amount of clicks. If you focus on your channel on X and then of course the algorithm will favour X over Y (since the demographic for Y will go/be directed elsewhere). Organic growth doesn't just happen on its own, it is an arduous journey most people don't have the will or patience for. 

As for being an unpopular opinion or not; I think once GW releases WHFB then AoS is going to get even less space because WHFB + TW series is going to be a much stronger brand and, more importantly, more sales. Even if it is ends up being closer to 40k/AoS in its design (as opposed to square bases and movement trays).

• Like 2

Here are is one of my own thoughts, not very certain if it is unpopular, but anyways here I go:

for skaven:

doomwheel

needs to get stronger, cheaper and more random.

I would like it to work basically as a warplightning cannon.

basically it can shoot out 3warplightning shots, that go into the nearest unit (friend or foe) that is not this doomwheel,

a single dice is rolled to determine the strength of all 3warplightning shots.

and the player using the doomwheels rolls 6 dice for each warplightning shot.

on a roll equal or higher the first dice roll the unit (friend or foe) suffers a mortal wound.

well that is mostly it.

I personally loved the incredible randomness it had in warhammer fantasy, and would even betray-stab for it to come back

I really don't like the summoning mechanics it just inflates the cost of army and requires more storage space.

I wish all armies with summoning (yes im mostly talking about chaos ones) had something along the lines of the Khorne Bloodtithe Table where you can spend the points on abilities or buffs instead of units.

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

Give us a standalone version AoS which has regimental combat, the battletome and lore always speak of a massive scale of battles. Wouldn't be a huge effort either, at least from a base size, just standard movement trays that hold 32mm or 25mm round bases and go up to large infantry/cavalry.  Having circle inserts in the movement trays would also solve the ranking up problem and the more dynamic miniatures would be fine. 

That's what I want back. 

Middle Earth deserves far more dev time.

The attitude of AoS fans towards Old World fans is far more toxic than the inverse.

Skirmish sized games are more fun than regiment sized games.

Deepkin are the coolest concept yet created for AoS. 

Josh Reynolds was the one true Warhammer author and without him, no one is writing AoS novels worth a damn.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Deepkin said:

Middle Earth deserves far more dev time.

The attitude of AoS fans towards Old World fans is far more toxic than the inverse.

Skirmish sized games are more fun than regiment sized games.

Deepkin are the coolest concept yet created for AoS. 

Josh Reynolds was the one true Warhammer author and without him, no one is writing AoS novels worth a damn.

"The attitude of AoS fans towards Old World fans is far more toxic than the inverse."

Don't see how. I remember when people would get berated and  ganged up on for  merely liking age of Sigmar. Still do some places.

• Thanks 13
  • Confused 1

Hatred towards Aelven factions and their assumed over-supportedness is pretty unreasonable when, in contrast, everybody seems fine with former Vampire Counts branching out into three distinct factions with their own tomes, characters and supported model lines, or Chaos becoming a whopping five factions instead of one. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, xking said:

"The attitude of AoS fans towards Old World fans is far more toxic than the inverse."

Don't see how. I remember when people would get berated and  ganged up on for  merely liking age of Sigmar. Still do some places.

Absolutely still the case in r/warhammer and any Total War social media.

Together with overt unmoderated racism (I reported, nothing happened) in r/warhammer.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Together with overt unmoderated racism (I reported, nothing happened) in r/warhammer.

Really? That's terrifying... care to elaborate (even if slightly off topic)?

My Unpopular opinions - 

-I think Daughters of Khaine are not a very good concept, I don’t like the look of the army. It’s only saving grace is Morathi. I particularly dislike the harpies and Gorgon units.  

-Sigmar should be a Martyr - again. If he’s gonna lead from a throne he should either be dead or dying. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, xking said:

If you don't see it, you might be part of the problem then. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 11

6 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Similar stuff happens here as well TBH.

As for unpopular opinions on AoS:

I prefer first edition along with Skirmish. It was an easy way to build up an army and was a far more entertaining and experimental era of wargaming. Almost every change or release the game has seen since has catered more towards making money from the flighty aspects of the community who meta chase. AoS was better as more sandbox, creative hobby game- even if it wasn't as valuable as an IP.

Bringing Gotrek back was nothing but a cash grab and has actually hurt the narrative of both AoS & the old world.

From the minute the Old world was announced, AoS started a countdown to it's death, even if it did cause a huge increase in people trying the game in the meantime. (GW have proved time and again they can't cope with as many games as they will be juggling soon- which all previously led to huge amounts of games being cancelled)

GWs release schedule/FOMO is terrible for the community for so many reasons and people need to stop defending it.

Cancelling the Eight Lamentations was a trash move on GWs part. Not telling anyone, releasing a short story for it and having the 2nd book up for preorder on amazon for up to almost a year after cancellation was just pure spiteful.

GWs lack of ACTUAL communication is probably the worst in the industry. Its so bad that they pay a social media team to disguise how bad they are at communication with their customer base. 

Almost everything that came out in the first 2-3 years for AoS would have seen life in WFB had it continued on, even if some fans deny that some of these concepts would not fit in the old world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2