Unpopular opinion thread

Even though I like many factions and their models and backgrounds, Lumineth Realm-Lords are the thing that actually pulled me in. Haters will continue hating, but I think everything in the faction is awesome, even if there are things I prefer over others (e.g. Mountain over Wind).

• Like 4

AoS has abused the otherwise interesting concept of thematic armies. Oftentimes lists don’t look like armies and are just very spammy (3x units of whatever is meta), including the very odd multiple centerpieces and 2 units of chaff lists.

Fyreslayers could have been find within a dwarf roster but alone suffer from overuse of excessively samey design schemes.

AoS was set up as a skirmish game and has morphed into army level clashes, yet rules remain distinctively skirmish.

Too many different factions have been released and some are now sort of unsupported. 

I could go on :P

• Like 6

Guess here's where I can grouse a bit:

• Godhammer is dumb (not unpopular).  A viable army that can field numerous dragons is even dumber.  Dragons should be the titans, and not the knights, of AoS.  Scary but too costly for their points.  SCE is a bad release.
  • 3rd Edition, with minor tweaks, is actually super solid.  If players went all in on supporting comps at tournies it could be up there in terms of fun at tournies, well above 40k.
  • Introducing actual Gods onto the tabletop is extremely stupid.  Wrecks the scope of what is set up as a skirmish game.  "Why is Nagash stomping around here with only 40 other dudes?".

........Kharadron Overlords are not dwarves.  They're gnomes cosplaying as Dawi and you bet that's going in the book.

Edited by Sinbin
  • Like 4

1. Not all factions need expansions, some (like ironjawz) feel complete even with a small number of kits. We don't need a fantasy/40k arms race where every faction needs a version of every "thing"
  2. AOS 3.0's core rules are far too complex, even if battletomes end up being simpler. Better to have a simple game with complex factions than a complex game with simple factions.
  3. God level characters aren't more interesting than hero level ones
  4. The resin scuttleboss is dated but still looks cool
  5. Dragon ogors should all be bipeds like the shaggoth, rather than the semi quadrupeds that try to fight with their front legs. Its derpy. I'd rather see the plastic dragon ogor kit replaced with something that more resembles the resin shaggoth than get a plastic shaggoth.

6 hours ago, Maogrim said:

I don't know if anyone cares enough to deem this unpopular, but Alarith Stoneguard hammers should do 2 points of damage. They are elite Aelven warrior monks with two-handed weapons. They should do more damage than your standard Vanari with a spear, not less (taking Sunmrtal weapons and Power of Hysh into account).

And I think Morathi is probably the most awesome and interesting character in AOS. I hope she continues winning for the time being and isn't completely overshadowed by her edgelord son once he appears.

Alarith stoneguard hammers to the same as a mancrusher club, are you arguing they should hit as hard as a kraken-eater or warstomper club? 🤣

3 hours ago, Orbei said:

No one should ever play using grand strategies. Nice in concept but when SoB have access to beast master and Lumineth/Tzeench can pick prized sorcery the whole thing can be tossed in the bin.

Prayers and magic should be the same thing with the same mechanics. When you pray to Khorne and he answers that's magic. He's a magical god and just doesn't like other people's magic. There's no need for two systems.

The +1 cap to saves is an issue and should be removed. If a unit starts at 5+ and gets +3 somehow, and no rend is applied, it should save on 2+. The current system makes base 3+ save way too good and units aren't pointed appropriately for the difference between save values.

Sub-faction allegiance abilities should go away and be replaced with a "battle force trait" or something that you pick for each battle. It sucks having rules tied to paint schemes, even if many people ignore that anyway. If I want my army to always be the same sub-faction but also experiment with different allegiance abilities that should be encouraged. Picking your sub-faction should be purely narrative/aesthetic with no impact to the tabletop. 

Agreed Grand strategies don't really add anything interesting given the options. Its also added complexity.

3 hours ago, PJetski said:

Age of Sigmar has never been a skirmish game, it has literally always been about golden demigods punching literal gods

Controversial counter-opinion: Age of Sigmar has always been a skirmish game, just one where many of the people doing the skirmishing happen to be gods and monsters. The lore often describes actual armies - hundreds of thousands of troops waging war over vast battlefields. The actual games are like fifty dudes having a punch-up in a parking lot.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, yukishiro1 said:

Honestly I'd personally prefer if they weren't just big heroes but something fundamentally different. E.g. Gods don't start on the table, they get summoned in based on accomplishing certain things particular to each God and faction. So like to summon Archaon for example you'd need to summon him by earning the favor of the chaos gods - you'd need to get 4 dedication points, one to each chaos god, and you could accomplish them in a variety of ways - an objective you control could be dedicated to a god that matches the mark of one of the controlling units and you get that god's favor, or when you roll on the eye of the gods table that would get the favor of the god corresponding to that model's mark, or there would be a prayer all STD priests know that they could pray for the favor of the mark that matches them, or you could accomplish one specific thing for each god (i.e. wipe out an enemy unit in a single combat to get khorne's favor, cast a spell on a 9+ to get tzeentch's favor, complete a charge with a unit that's taken damage to get slaanesh's favor, heal a model 3 or more wounds or deal 3 or more MW to the enemy to get nurgle's favor). Undivided marked units can earn points for any god (only one per turn per unit, though).

In terms of on the table abilities, they could have roughly the same powers they have now, but with a reduced points cost to account for the fact that they likely won't get onto the table until T3 or later unless the stars align. This makes Gods more interesting and less of an all-or-nothing choice, and also reduces the alpha potential in the game as well. Morathi, Archaon, etc are far less oppressive if they only appear halfway through the battle after you'd had a chance to wear down their followers first, instead of having to deal with a God alpha-striking your army with perfect support. 

I think this is such a brilliant idea and makes the idea of using gods much more interesting and thematic. I do think it would make me want more Gods represented and luckily Morathi's ascension and Kragnos appearance opens up more possibilities. I still don't want the Chaos Gods to physically appear in the game but this might be a good way to use characters like the Twins or even Greater Demons as Avatars of their gods.  

Warhammer+ is the best deal GW has offered in the time I’ve been involved with AoS and the Warhammer TV content is nicely proportioned.

I paid $59.99 up front for Warhammer and I have already received an used the $16 voucher they sent me after my first month, reducing my cost to $43.99.  I was already paying $0.99 a month for Azyr so I net out both the new app and that $11.88 cost as regardless of what they offered I would’ve continued to use and pay for an AoS list building app.  So now I’m down to $32.11.

After failing to get into a local AoS tournament decided to try my hand at the 40K side of it and thus had started paying the $2.99 for the 40K app. So again, net that $35.88 out in both directions and… GW is paying me $3.77 to watch Warhammer TV. 

But wait… I own a Warclans army in AoS and I am playing Orks in 40K which means that I’ll get a nice Megaboss/Beastboss on foot to play with (ideal for either Crusade or PtG I’m thinking).  They currently go for $40.  So even if we assume that they cancel the “free” model deal in year two AND raise the price by $10 that means over two years I will have paid $26.22.  

That averages out to $0.25 a week (apologies if any math errors but doing this all in my head at moment).  Am I getting $0.25 worth of content each week?  Absolutely.

I get the idea that Warhammer TV’s offering is pretty sparse for now.  But so is my free time.  Netflix’s millions of hours of movies and TV doesn’t do me a damn bit of good since I’ll never be able to watch it all.  The real question with Netflix is whether, when I have time to watch, does it have something I want to watch?  And unsurprisingly it does for many people. 

That same question applies to Warhammer TV and after several weeks what I have consistently experienced is that by the time I’ve found time to consume the week’s offerings… it’s Wednesday again and another round of shows is served up for me.

Understand that the AoS content is light and there’s a lot of frustration in how it has gone down but monetarily W+ has been an absolute bargain and content wise I have zero substantive complaints so far.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Warhammer+ is the best deal GW has offered in the time I’ve been involved with AoS and the Warhammer TV content is nicely proportioned.

I paid $59.99 up front for Warhammer and I have already received an used the $16 voucher they sent me after my first month, reducing my cost to $43.99.  I was already paying $0.99 a month for Azyr so I net out both the new app and that $11.88 cost as regardless of what they offered I would’ve continued to use and pay for an AoS list building app.  So now I’m down to $32.11.

After failing to get into a local AoS tournament decided to try my hand at the 40K side of it and thus had started paying the $2.99 for the 40K app. So again, net that $35.88 out in both directions and… GW is paying me $3.77 to watch Warhammer TV. 

But wait… I own a Warclans army in AoS and I am playing Orks in 40K which means that I’ll get a nice Megaboss/Beastboss on foot to play with (ideal for either Crusade or PtG I’m thinking).  They currently go for $40.  So even if we assume that they cancel the “free” model deal in year two AND raise the price by $10 that means over two years I will have paid $26.22.  

That averages out to $0.25 a week (apologies if any math errors but doing this all in my head at moment).  Am I getting $0.25 worth of content each week?  Absolutely.

I get the idea that Warhammer TV’s offering is pretty sparse for now.  But so is my free time.  Netflix’s millions of hours of movies and TV doesn’t do me a damn bit of good since I’ll never be able to watch it all.  The real question with Netflix is whether, when I have time to watch, does it have something I want to watch?  And unsurprisingly it does for many people. 

That same question applies to Warhammer TV and after several weeks what I have consistently experienced is that by the time I’ve found time to consume the week’s offerings… it’s Wednesday again and another round of shows is served up for me.

Understand that the AoS content is light and there’s a lot of frustration in how it has gone down but monetarily W+ has been an absolute bargain and content wise I have zero substantive complaints so far.

I'm genuinely pleased for you 😀

I don't think I ever doubted the value for money for people who already wanted all or nearly all that it was offering.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Many of the older sculpts which people are desperate to see replaced are fine. I really like the old saurus and kroxigor, and think that most of the old Lizardmen resin models hold up pretty well.

Beyond the initial phase when miscasts were a problem, there was nothing wrong with finecast except the pricepoint and the fact that they dishonestly marketed a cheaper material as a premium one. Resin is great for some things, terrible for others.

And while I hate trying to put things together with superglue more than most since I am allergic to it... Metal is great, and makes for far more solid and characterful models than they usual do in plastic. I'd rather have five hero options in metal than one in plastic which gets to be overly detailed and has to be all things to all people. Bring back the days of looking through the blister packs in the shop to find the different variants!

Edited by EccentricCircle
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, EntMan said:

I'm genuinely pleased for you 😀

Thanks.  From reading several other threads on the site though you start to get the impression that if you sign up for W+ you’ve somehow betrayed the AoS team by crossing the picket line.

And I do fully understand without the 40k app the equation looks different.  As regards the free model I get it not everyone benefits but there are plenty of ways to recoup that cost by selling them.

What I don’t understand is the idea that everyone who is only in AoS and not interested in 40k holding out for more AoS content is a viable strategy.  Spent way too much time around algorithms to have any doubt that if the AoS content they have put out isn’t getting clicks the solution next budget cycle will NOT be to double down on more AoS content.  

Won’t argue with those who want to wait for whatever reason but if what you want is more AoS content good old Lord Algo dictates that you want as many other AoS fans signed up and clicking on AoS content.

Edited by Beer & Pretzels Gamer

23 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

Unpopular opinion:  the more balanced/competitive the system gets, the less fun actual gameplay is.

That's saying that the less balanced a system gets the more fun actual gameplay is; Archaon vs a clanrat would be the height of entertainment!

What I think is meant here is 'cutting flavor in the name of balance tends not to be worth it.'

55 minutes ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Thanks.  From reading several other threads on the site though you start to get the impression that if you sign up for W+ you’ve somehow betrayed the AoS team by crossing the picket line.

And I do fully understand without the 40k app the equation looks different.  As regards the free model I get it not everyone benefits but there are plenty of ways to recoup that cost by selling them.

What I don’t understand is the idea that everyone who is only in AoS and not interested in 40k holding out for more AoS content is a viable strategy.  Spent way too much time around algorithms to have any doubt that if the AoS content they have put out isn’t getting clicks the solution next budget cycle will NOT be to double down on more AoS content.  

Won’t argue with those who want to wait for whatever reason but if what you want is more AoS content good old Lord Algo dictates that you want as many other AoS fans signed up and clicking on AoS content.

No worries, as I said I'm pleased for the people it's worked out for. (for me it's too much money for too much stuff I have little to no interest in)

• Like 1