Sylvaneth trait

Tizianolol

Question

11 answers to this question

A redeploy (what a teleport is) isn't a retreat. There are no base rules restrictions on what you can or can't do after a redeploy, but typically, you can do anything except move normally - shooting is fine, charging is fine, etc. The new Translocate doesn't even have the "no moving afterward" restriction, though most of us think that's probably an error rather than something that's intentional. Some redeploys can be used on stuff in combat, some can't, but they will say if you can't - e.g. "choose a unit outside of 3" of any enemy units." If there isn't any of that language, you can do it on a unit that's in combat. 

The sylvaneth one has no restrictions on targeting other than being within range of a wyldwood - so you can do it on a unit in combat - and no restrictions on what you can do afterward except move. So you can shoot, you can charge, whatever. 

Edited by yukishiro1

Do you mean using the teleport, Navigate Realmroots? Yes, you can use it in combat, and you can shoot afterward as normal whether you were in combat or not (you can shoot if you just stay in combat and don't teleport, for that matter, you just have to target what you're in combat with). 

edit: Oops, see below. It looks like you actually can't in 3rd edition any more, due to the change in what counts as a normal move. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, yukishiro1 said:

Do you mean using the teleport, Navigate Realmroots? Yes, you can use it in combat, and you can shoot afterward as normal whether you were in combat or not (you can shoot if you just stay in combat and don't teleport, for that matter, you just have to target what you're in combat with). 

I know that 2.0 had an specific FAQ that said exactly that: a Set-Up ability is not a movement of any type so you could ignore any movement restrictions (as shooting after "retreating"). But that FAQ was removed in the first 3.0 FAQs and instead we have one KO FAQ that talks about that:

Q: If I use the Fly High ability to disengage with a unit, can that unit still shoot or charge later in the same turn?
A: It can still shoot as per the Disengage ability but it cannot charge.

KOs Fly High has the same description as Navigate Realmroots, so I assume that they work the same.

Edited by Beliman

Ok thx guys, so with my bowhunters i can use navigate Realmroots in combat , I can shoot but not charge? I understood correctly? 

Can be the same thing about " traslocation" prey from Stormcast Eternals? I can teleport a unit in combat, after i can shoot but not charge with it? Is the same rule? Thx all a lot

24 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Ok thx guys, so with my bowhunters i can use navigate Realmroots in combat , I can shoot but not charge? I understood correctly? 

If it works as Fly High (I suppose that's the case, both abilities have the same description), you can only shoot after teleporting outside of combat if you have an ability that allows that (Skyvessels have Disengage). Same with charge.

KOs have Disengage, not sure if Sylvaneth have something like that.

24 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Can be the same thing about " traslocation" prey from Stormcast Eternals? I can teleport a unit in combat, after i can shoot but not charge with it? Is the same rule? Thx all a lot

Not sure. Translocate have another description and seems to not be a "movement" or "Instead of movement", so I would say that Translocate will not be affected by movement restrictions like Retreat. But RAW is not clear (we don't have a FAQ anymore that explains how this functions), and only GW knows how it should work (RAI).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong but Navigate Realmroots can only be used "Instead of a Normal Move", so Sylvaneth can't use it when they Retreat

Edited by Beliman

14 minutes ago, yukishiro1 said:

The sylvaneth one has no restrictions on targeting other than being within range of a wyldwood - so you can do it on a unit in combat - and no restrictions on what you can do afterward except move. So you can shoot, you can charge, whatever. 

AoS have diferent types of set ups, and some of them, like Navigate Realmroots and Fly High are worded as:

Instead of making a normal move or retreat with this model, you can say that it will... (name of the ability). If you do so, remove this model from the battlefield and set it up again more than... (restrictions like: ...more than 9" from any enemy models).

Navigate Realmroots only have "Instead of normal move" (no retreat listed I think). In that case, you can't use it when your unit is engaged.

Edited by Beliman

Oh hey, good point. It didn't used to matter because a normal move used to include a retreat, but that isn't true any more in 3.0, and it hasn't been FAQed. I guess that does mean you can't use it in combat any more. Lame. Especially weird given that they FAQed the treelords and tree-revenants so you can do theirs in combat, but it looks like they either forgot to do it for the allegiance ability, or they meant to nerf it. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, yukishiro1 said:

Oh hey, good point. It didn't used to matter because a normal move used to include a retreat, but that isn't true any more in 3.0, and it hasn't been FAQed. I guess that does mean you can't use it in combat any more. Lame. Especially weird given that they FAQed the treelords and tree-revenants so you can do theirs in combat, but it looks like they either forgot to do it for the allegiance ability, or they meant to nerf it. 

Yeah, in 2.0 was totally diferent. A set-up was never affected by the movement that it replaced.
3.0 changed that and now, it seems that's has it has the same restrictions (KO FAQs).

Ok thx all guys so at the end:

- bowhunters can use navigate realmroot in combat, they can t shoot and they cant charge 

- translocation : its in hero phase so I can use it in combat too and I can charge / shoot after

Until they faq something

Am I correct?:)

Edited by Tizianolol

4 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

- bowhunters can use navigate realmroot in combat, they can t shoot and they cant charge 

Navigate Realmroots can only be used when you make a Normal Move and not when you are engaged (you need to make a Retreat).

I suppose that you can still shoot or charge even if you were engaged before Translocate, but that's something that GW should answer. Remember that Translocate doesn't replace any movement, that's why I think it doesn't follow any movement restriction like Navigate Realmroots.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1