The 1000 Point Army Respository

Gaz Taylor

I have edited my original post to include some reasoning why I think the list I posted is good for beginners. Because it has definitely become apparent that different people in this thread suggest lists for very different reasons, haha. I personally want to suggest lists that offer a good compromise between cost, availability, hobby potential and mechanical strength, while hopefully not locking you into a specific archetype from the get-go. But I do think that it's also valuable to have lists in here that excell in only a few of those categories, like the ol' Beastclaw two start collecting boxes for cost or the Blood Knight spam list a few posts above for mechanical strength.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, micahaphone said:

To check, is there any general good idea list building benchmarks, like ~60-70 wounds per 1000 points, or anything like that?

My take on benchmarks for AoS would be as follows.

1. The 60ish wounds per 1000 points is a good starting point (obviously some exceptions. Looking at you BCR)
2. Have 1-2 good sources of MW per 1000 points (with the lack of good rend options I really have to recommend MW to get past good armor saves)
3. Have some sort of movement shenanigans (It could be a unit that moves faster than the standard 6 inches or can teleport around the board but being able to move and move quickly is very important. Turtling only works with a minority of factions)

Beyond those I think it comes down to your personal playstyle and army.

• Like 1

Okay after playing once (and probably making a bunch of mistakes) I'm second guessing my earlier posted list. Stormfiends are great but in a 1k list they're 1/3 of your army. Someone at the shop suggested I either go all in on big mates or all in on swarms, so here's the lists again:

Current:

Warlock Bombardier

Clawlord

2x Clanrats

Storm Fiends

Warp Lightning Cannon

76 wounds, 990 pts

Proposed:

2x Warlock Bombardier

2x Clanrats

Stormvermin

3x Ratling Guns (hidden in the infantry of course)

Warp Lightning Cannon

77 wounds, 1000 pts

In my first game I definitely didn't get the best value out of my stormfiends or the clawlord, but I'm trying to gauge how things work

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 9:29 PM, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Here's a 1000 point Soulblight Gravelords list I would feel good about recommending to new players:

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords
- Lineage: Vyrkos Dynasty
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos (200)
- Lore of the Vampires: Soulpike
Vengorian Lord (280)
- General
- Command Trait: Hunter's Snare
- Artefact: Sangsyron
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon

Battleline
10 x Dire Wolves (135)
20 x Deathrattle Skeletons (170)
- Reinforced x 1

Units
5 x Blood Knights (195)

Total: 980 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 74
Drops: 5

The idea behind this list is that every unit should be a staple that has a high chance to go into whatever 2000 point list you might eventually want to build. Also, I wanted to include only models from the most recent release.

I believe the list is a good representation of the intended SBGL play style, a mix of cheap summonable battleline, elite troops and strong support heroes. While I selected Vyrkos for this list, it can also be played in Kastelai or Legion of Night to give you the opportunity to test out multiple play styles. Artefacts and spells are selected to signpost possible fun combos and interactions.

EDIT:

Cost and availability: 3/5

No start collecting or other bundles, but all units are regularly available (not out of production, not locked in starter boxes...) and you don't need to jump through any hoops to put the list together.

Painting and modelling: 4/5

All kits are new and fully plastic. While the list is somewhat high in models (Soulblight are a horde faction, after all), the horde portions of the list are easy to paint. The elite units offer a bit more of a challenge, but no to the point of being unmanagable.

Start with the Direwolves and learn the basics of basecoat-wash-drybrush. Belladamma Volga can be done similarly, and you can also get used to layering with her clothes and skin.

Skeletons can be painted quickly and easily by drybrushing them completely in a bone colour, using a contrast paint for the cloth and metallics for the armour.

Blood Knights are visually impressive and offer a good opportunity to practice edge highlights. The Vengorian Lord is a matching centerpiece to try whenever you feel up to it.

Mechanics: 4/5

The list is tuned enough to be fun, but not overwhelmingly strong. It participates in all phases that Gravelords can participate in and makes use of every Gravelords allegiance ability. Since the list does not rely on subfaction-locked battleline and has a generic hero that can be your general, you can give all the different Gravelords subfactions a try to see what you like. It should give you a good impression of at least Vyrkos, Kastelai and Legion of Night.

Expansion potential and future proofing: 5/5

I think this is where the list really shines. You can expand this list into any of the tournament viable archetypes: Vyrkos horde, Kastelai Blood Knights, Legion of Night with Mannfred, Nagash...

Since the list runs a large variety of units, future battletomes are unlikely to invalidate it completely.

Run this list if...

...you want a solid, generalist foundation for a Soulblight army that lets you test out various playstyles and offers opportunities to practice painting, while being decently powerful on the tabletop at the same time.

Curse you! I’d almost persuaded myself it would be too difficult to start a SBGL army, but now… hmmm… looks so easy…

• Haha 1

Ok, so here’s my attempt, variation of a list I’ve been using.  Key points:

- based on speed, punch (knights and curse prayer) and reliability (lots of re-roll buffs, and +1 to prayers), but not great in long brawls and if key charges fail it all falls apart - so you might get tabled but it won’t be boring! 

- Not many models to buy/build/paint, no need for extras for reinforcements, all fairly core StD units, easily available etc etc 

- List includes priests, a wizard and a monster (with token shooting attack) so you can try out all those rules 

- could switch the crusher and marauders to upgrade the lord on mount to karkadrak lord and chariot to gorebeast chariot (or for 10 chaos warriors) if you wanted to make it cheaper/simpler

- Marked as Khorne but you can change the mark for variety - single mark for whole army for starters is easier (not sure how I feel about giving arcane tome to a Khorne lord, it’s legal as far as I can tell, but…)

9FD57E6C-A5F5-418F-9939-24F391F6552C.jpeg.aab196885ad2956fdc8f727694a94d95.jpeg

I'd run something like this. All the fun gitz stuff and some good looking models imho. Got some of everything to get used to the rules.

LEADERS
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110) - General - Moon-cutta

UNITS
12 x Squig Herd (160)
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)
1 x Boggleye (38) 1 x Brewgit (38) 1 x Shroomancer (38) 1 x Spiker (38) 1 x Scaremonger (38)
3 x Fellwater Troggoths (155) or 3x Rockgut Troggoths (145)

BEHEMOTHS Skitterstrand Arachnarok (200) (or a Dankhold Troggoth (190))

TOTAL: 995/1000
WOUNDS: 94

• Like 1

Tooling around with a few lists with SCE for an upcoming (told its friendly) 1000 pt campaign/tournament.  Finding it pretty tricky at 1k but here goes:

Stormhost-Hallowed Knights, Scions of the Storm

Battallion: Brotherhood Command (Magnificent bonus- extra holy command-Unleash thy Hatred)

Triumph-Inspired, Holy Command-Call for Aid

General:  Lord Relictor,  Command Trait: Envoy of the Heavens, Prayer: Translocation

Hero: Lord Arcanum on Griff Charger- Artifact-Arcane Tome, Spells- Chain Lightning, Celestial Blades, Mount Trait:  Aetheric Swiftness

Endless Spell-The Burning Head

Battleline:  

5 Sequitors (3 grandmaces)

5 Sequitors (2 maces and Redemption Cache)

Other:

5 Vanguard Hunters (with astral compass)

5 Protectors (2 Starsoul Maces)

Grand Strategy-Hold The Line

1000 pts, 6 units/drops, 59 Wounds

I'd like to share the list I have come up with for an upcoming 1000 point campaign. It is not quite in the same style as my other lists, as this list focuses on doing everything it can to allow the main hero of the list, a carnosaur scar vet named Atzi The Swift, the best chance of glory through killing of heroes and monsters. This small band represents a hero hunting Scar Vet  and his supporting cast, and the way this narrative is to be structured awards points to this list when Atzi successfully engages and slays the strongest hero in the opposing army, he embodies a tracker/hunter trope in the story I was putting together.

Coalesced Thunder Lizards

Warlord Battalion for artifact

Saurus Scar-Vet on Carnosaur: General- Prime Warbeast, Mount Trait-Beastmaster, Artifact- Blade of Realities (On Jaws- which one can do, only the skink chief stipulates artifacts can only affect the skink in stead of the mount) 215 

Skink Starseer 145

Slann Starmaster 265 - obligatory fusil of conflagration

Saurus Guard 115

Saurus Knights 110

Kroxigors 150

1000/1000 Points

This represents a force that can hold an objective with the slann/guard while providing some spell based mortal wound output to soften targets and give fly and +1 save to Atzi, Kroxigors to deal with screens that may otherwise bog him down, Knights to move up rapidly with him to protect him from massive countercharges, and a starseer to give an extra rend to his attacks on the chosen target and 3d6 charge. He should get to choose his engagements with his mobility, the movement and charge buffs, and the mount trait if necessary to get him to the hero he is hunting. When he gets there he can pop his own command trait for exploding 6s, beastmaster's extra attack (if he didn't need to to get in), use prime warbeast, the great drake asterism, the additional jaw attack from coalesced, and either titanic duel for an extra +1 to hit, or roar to turn off all out defense if the target has 7 wounds or less (which gives a carnosaur an innate +1 to hit). This results in 7 attacks hitting on 3s exploding on 6s, wounding on 3s with rend -3, 6 damage against a hero with full buffs/spells/conditions. It is far from the most competitive way to set up an army, but in this story, Atzi is only counting his kills, with even the objectives and mission secondary to this goal. I think this list showcases the stacked buffs mentality seraphon must embody to succeed, and allows an interesting character a chance for a spotlight that is normally second fiddle to the skink chief in lists. Give it a try if you want to see the carnosaur that often whiffs and does nothing have a moment of glory. 

Edited by jjb070707