The 3rd Edition Positivity Thread!

On 10/4/2021 at 3:52 AM, NinthMusketeer said:

The SCE thread may have turned into another rendition of "talk about the most competitive game-breaking combo possible or GTFO" but it will be temporary; the people passionate about the army still exist and will re-emerge when FOTM dies down.

I have been working on a Stormcast list, it is simply made up of the cheapest models that I can purchase, so far it is Dominion and a unit of easy to build sequitors and the knight incantor that came with a magazine. My friend is looking to sell me some Stormcast for dirt cheap but I only need 300 points so I am thinking of just adding some Celestar Ballista's or Lord-Commander Bastian Carthalos. In other words I want to make 2000 points at a decent cost and take up as little shelf space as possible. Which is a similar theme for my S2D and BCR armies although my Slaves to Darkness get more shelf space. So as you said the meta chaser will leave Stormcast in favour of the new hotness and I will be able to get some dragons second hand for a decent price.

Edited by Neverchosen

@Melbar don't dwell too much on the ratio of positive to negative posts; it's human nature for discussion to center around complaints rather than compliments. Think about it this way; if people are voicing criticisms (generally speaking) that means they still care. While internet toxicity is easily dragged in the core sentiment of voicing criticism is an entirely reasonable avenue for discussion. Positive sentiment is there, but usually drowned out under discussion of flaws. Thus this thread, so positive can have it's own space where it doesn't need to compete.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NinthMusketeer said:

@Melbar don't dwell too much on the ratio of positive to negative posts; it's human nature for discussion to center around complaints rather than compliments. Think about it this way; if people are voicing criticisms (generally speaking) that means they still care. While internet toxicity is easily dragged in the core sentiment of voicing criticism is an entirely reasonable avenue for discussion. Positive sentiment is there, but usually drowned out under discussion of flaws. Thus this thread, so positive can have it's own space where it doesn't need to compete.

Don't worry Ninth, I normally ignore the "internet" - my observation is more about our Scene here in my City/group of friends/Shops. Most people I talked to are more or less burned out by 40k, even if they admit that AoS is the more appealing ruleset (not setting, don't get confused here). I think it will be getting better over the next six months (or summer 2022), but until then it's hard to get them on board. The clunky written ruleset does a lot of damage, as it may be clear and the game fun to play, but it's neither not immersive nor inspiring.

Currently I concentrate on the good stuff, like the miniatures and terrain building and invite the people to game in my man cave. One guy is in the fence already. 😊

But Germany is though when it comes to convince people to something new. 

I will share some images of my armies in the next couple of days.

5 hours ago, Melbar said:

But Germany is though when it comes to convince people to something new. 

Not really, maybe you are just not that convincing? 

I dont have your kind of problem, I have a gaming group of 5 people that play regularly and now 2 more friends of mine started the hobby. 

Positivity can go a long distance. 

Greetings from Germany 😉

Edited by Phasteon

So while GW definitely pulled a classic pendulum swing from bloat to drought when it comes to options, I definitely feel like certain aspects are where they should be. Artifacts for both SCE and OWC seem like an appropriate number to me, and I can see how GW has capitalized on the availability of core enhancements to let army-specific ones be more specialized. And tbh I don't feel like the number of viable artifacts has actually gone down--we just no longer have to sort through three crappy ones for every useful one.

• Thanks 2

Positive things about AoS 3.0? Well.........

Let's start with absolutely gorgeous dragon riders and dragons being brought into the limelight! I love me some dragon riders and even though Stormcast isn't my main army I want those models so bad. GW does show that they have amazing sculpts to make and I can't seem to get enough of some of these new models.

Also, there's the rumors of pirate Ogors which will hopefully flesh out the more Mawtribe side of the Ogors versus the BCR that most people seem to use. I just love to see my chonky boys running around the battlefield trying to take a bite outta everything. MOAR OGORS = MOAR GOOD! Other rumors about chaos dwarves is interesting as well and I'm waiting with baited breath to find out what they do with them.

Finally, more Path to Glory stuff is always welcome in my book. It does need a few fixes but it's still a good move as I loved the crusade rules from 40k so bringing that more into AoS is great.

Had another 4 (!) games today. 

1# 1000p Kruleboyz (W)

2# 2000p Fyreslayers (L)

3# 2000p Stormcasts (L)

4# 3000p Stormcasts (W)

What I really like about the new edition is how interactive it has become if you take the right units. 

Redeploy and Unleash Hell can decide games if used properly and you and your opponent have to account for it. 

Also the double turn around turn 3 is such a gamechanger. I had games where I hoped to win the priority roll to go SECOND just to destroy an important objective thats out of my reach, even if my army took a heavy beating for it.

Then there is the dynamic between all-out attack/defense where you have to choose your activations even more careful and sometimes try to bait out one or the other so that you can get the upper hand somewhere else. 

„Activation War“ has become more relevant to me than before, now that MSU (mostly Stormcast Eternals) are so viable again. 

Sometimes my opponent has to charge 3-4 of my units but loses something important after every activation because of how strong most Stormcast units are.

Sometimes its better to not charge at all. 

There are so many tactical decisions to make, regarding Grand Strategies / Battle Tactics, Command Abilities and Heroic Actions. 

You need to think about scoring, but also about deleting your enemy to stop him from scoring and you need to make all those considerations while building your list. 

Onedrop Alphastrike or multiple Battalions for more flexibility/ enhancements? 

Can I score every battle tactic? 

Can I score most battle tactics with a Monster for bonus points? 

Can I keep my grand strategy while denying my enemies? 

Also I love how the rules are written. Everything is just so clear. 

There was not a single question that wasnt answered via rules or FAQ. 

Bonus points for new army design: 

I like that Hammers of Sigmar give a simple 6+ ward and Dracoth Battleline instead of locked traits and artifact. 

Its so cool to choose a command ability as enhancement rather than being locked into one. 

I really hope new tomes are getting released sooner than later, following this design philosophy. 

For me 3.0 is 10/10 ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 10/8/2021 at 8:00 PM, NinthMusketeer said:

So while GW definitely pulled a classic pendulum swing from bloat to drought when it comes to options, I definitely feel like certain aspects are where they should be. Artifacts for both SCE and OWC seem like an appropriate number to me, and I can see how GW has capitalized on the availability of core enhancements to let army-specific ones be more specialized. And tbh I don't feel like the number of viable artifacts has actually gone down--we just no longer have to sort through three crappy ones for every useful one.

100% this. The Core book has turned to be more complex with new tables and some changes here & there.

But battletomes, rule wise, are perfect. Easy to play with them and really fast to learn.

My only issue is the customization, but that's a personal preference so not a big deal.

• Like 1

Playing games with people who are friendly and having fun.  With models i've painted.

The game is good.  And the honeymoon period is always a trip.  Just so much fun for 6-8 months after an edition drops.  

I'm also excited to learn and discover.  Maybe paint a model that's been kicking around I could use now.

• Like 5

Things I think are an improvement from AoS 2 - AoS 3 

- Unit champions being able to issue orders. Think it's a neat change, it's feel thematic, it means units can hang out by them selves without the need of a hero. Elite units also great.

- Battle tactics, a great way to make the game feel progressive, every turn has an objective rather then the overall game. Helps games feel closer as well. 

- Interactivity between players, between heroic actions, CA's in both players phases, etc I feel like you're more "involved" more of the time.

- Most of the new scenarios, I like the control 1/2/more scoring. 

• Like 2

On 10/14/2021 at 7:47 AM, AaronWilson said:

Things I think are an improvement from AoS 2 - AoS 3 

- Unit champions being able to issue orders. Think it's a neat change, it's feel thematic, it means units can hang out by them selves without the need of a hero. Elite units also great.

- Battle tactics, a great way to make the game feel progressive, every turn has an objective rather then the overall game. Helps games feel closer as well. 

- Interactivity between players, between heroic actions, CA's in both players phases, etc I feel like you're more "involved" more of the time.

- Most of the new scenarios, I like the control 1/2/more scoring. 

100% agree on unit champions - before they were almost irrelevant (+1 attack in most cases), but now if they die it hurts - which it should!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So despite the atrocity that is not including the ability to push enemies into lava (fortunately an easy house rule corrects that error), I am digging the new Warcry rules. I had some concern the special terrain rules would be more complex than fun but they kept things simple and efficient. Also the inclusion of branching campaigns is a great feature I am really excited to have.

• Like 6

Since with the release of the latest musical from our hate-loved big-things (ogors) it was a really hard decision between the ogor mawtribes (mostly gutbusters) and the vampires, that even needed my local club-members helping votes to choose the right army (after all they will be playing against the dead-things)

So since nobody in our club plays any kind of dead-things, I went with the decision to start a gravelord fun/narrative army, with what I hope both sides will enjoy (so I will more then likely stay away from any competitive list, I really just want some fun, and I currently don’t enjoy winning with overly powerful force)

for the more competitive side of the games (like events and tournaments) I will stick with my skaven.

the claw contract of the great horned one, I signed demands it 

Yes-yes, Skreech is mighty-best.

So personally from a fun/narrative sense of the game, I’m really enjoying the age of sigmar system, even if it currently isn’t quite as balanced, as some if us might wish it to be.

• Like 1

Since this is a positive thread let my post my typical cynisme in reverse. 

I freaking hate the  new cohernency rules. Since they bug the game speed down for little actual improvement on the problem of screening. (hack it does nothing to the worst offender horrors) 

But i love every thing else. I love the heroic actions i love the  aditional command points (and the fact that you get more command points for going second) I love the simple command abilities and how they impact the game. I even freaking love the new battle tomes (well not the movements in the hero phase that's just dumb) But the game is shaping up to be an amezing adition. Whit a lot more player interaction in each battle round while not getting bugged down in the huge mess of hundreds of stratagems like 40K

• Like 1