AoS3- Big Waaagh!

Dahawi

16 hours ago, Smash said:

How much value do you get from your swampcalla? To me having more boltboyz in msu without buffs seem better than investing in the shaman. 

And is gobsprak good enough? 

I agree with you that screenwise, the list has its weaknesses. It's tough to say how much value the swampcalla brings, on paper he doubles your chance for mortal wounds with a unit of boltboyz. Sometimes i casted with him nasty hex when in range and important or mystic shield when no targets for boltboyz. The thing with MSU boltboyz is (in my oppinion),  they seem to be no real threat to most things, they merely chip away wounds of stuff they target, especially without buffs.

A 6 man unit with swampcalla & snatchaboss buff and gobsprakk unleash hell did for me the two games ~10MW + a bunch of normal wounds - enough to stop several units from charging the ardboyz screening the boltboyz, gobsprakk, swampcalla snatchaboss. On paper without swampcalla, its just ~6MW, without the snatchaboss its ~4MW, MSU only 2 ~MW,  as much as my mathhammer doesnt abbandon me.

When i charge a screen of hobgrots or ardboyz with unbuffed MSU Boltboyz in unleash hell range, i would easily accept the trade and charge when the outcome brings me closer to my objective.

But i agree that the swampcalla feels bad - he just sits there. My thought with the list was, to make three points of contact, the kruelboy ball with ardboy screen, the VF brutes and VF GGs - all points which hit very hard in melee (or unleash hell) and dont seem like juicy targets.  The list crumbles tho without VF and all the kruelboyz buffs, i agree. 

Gobsprakk imo is great, he really benefits from the BW bonus to cast und dispell and there is always something usefull in the swamp lore to cast. Yeeting the snatchboss with sneaky miasma and fast un across the board can be key and i cant state enough how important the 6" reposition is in a cagey, defensive BW list. I've seen so many important repositions fail on the dice roll. Besides that, he is just a fun piece of anti-magic which often lead to people not use spells like mystic shield - something we greatly appreciate due to most of my stuff having -2 rend. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Malakree said:

I overwhelmingly agree with this, I'm just torn between keeping the Ardboys or maybe splashing some hobgrots.

Why is there actually no talks about Hobgrots?

80 points seem fine for a 10 model unit to screen with. The space they can cover should be good and their range attacks seems quite ok. Run and shoot seems fine. The only problem seems to be the low bravery and low save - but they are made for dying, so who cares?

Would be really interessting to compare 80 points hobgrots to 85 points of ardboyz.

Edited by DerZauberer

1 hour ago, DerZauberer said:

Why is there actually no talks about Hobgrots?

80 points seem fine for a 10 model unit to screen with. The space they can cover should be good and their range attacks seems quite ok. Run and shoot seems fine. The only problem seems to be the low bravery and low save - but they are made for dying, so who cares?

Would be really interessting to compare 80 points hobgrots to 85 points of ardboyz.

I think the two big things is that Ardboyz are way more survivable, with a 4+ and conditional 6++ it makes them incredibly tanky, less vulnerable to battleshock and also count for all the orruk keywords. That said the hobgrots being faster and having a shooting attack is a big bonus.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Malakree said:

I think the two big things is that Ardboyz are way more survivable, with a 4+ and conditional 6++ it makes them incredibly tanky, less vulnerable to battleshock and also count for all the orruk keywords. That said the hobgrots being faster and having a shooting attack is a big bonus.

I think the Orruk Keyword is the real bummer here. Not getting Waaagh Points when in combat or the possibility to teleport them with hand of gork is huge. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 9:45 AM, DerZauberer said:

Gobsprakk imo is great, he really benefits from the BW bonus to cast und dispell and there is always something usefull in the swamp lore to cast. Yeeting the snatchboss with sneaky miasma and fast un across the board can be key and i cant state enough how important the 6" reposition is in a cagey, defensive BW list.

So we definetly have the same understanding on how we want to play the list. But Gobsprakk can only make you reroll the redeploy right? And it can only target kruelboyz, so i guess you can redeploy the boltboyz, but I'm not sure i see that as so valuable. But to be fair I have not tried him. 

Ingen beskrivelse er tilgjengelig.

So this is my latest version of big waaagh. Where the two new additions is the Megaboss and Cave-shaman. The list has many drops, so i wont be getting priority, but i feel with 4 ardboyz units I can screen well enough to not be to worried about deep strikes and alpha strike armies. And if i get first turn, I'm happy as I will get my WPs going and have decent range with the boltboyz and shaman spells. The neat thing with the MSU boltboyz is the extra shot, and that i can position them in a way that units with similar range (such as COS crossbow men) only get a few models in range, while i can still shoot full value. I realy dont want my boltboyz getting shot at, since they are so glass cannony. 

Also the teleport is so important, as there are several tricks that can catch your opponent off guard. Either teleport mire-brute and use the fast un to get a reliable charge. Hopefully a monster, so the artifact can help you take something big down. The Gruntas can be teleported 12 inches away from something and then use MD on themselves to get a 3 inch charge. And my favorite, teleport the wurrgogh in to get the stare range the same hero phase. 

I am unsure about the megaboss and cave-shaman, but they are in there to mitigate the cmd point shortage many have mentioned for similar lists. As they also fill the second warlord which i always forget also gives one more cmd point.  

The biggest issue for this list, is that it has no monster. So it is hard to get those bonus victory points, but it has great potential to kill big monsters to get some bonus VPs. And i feel like getting battle tactics done, is pretty easy for this list. That orruk specific one to have more than 24 waagh points is realy easy in one of the later turns. 

On 5/4/2022 at 7:58 AM, DerZauberer said:

I think the Orruk Keyword is the real bummer here. Not getting Waaagh Points when in combat or the possibility to teleport them with hand of gork is huge. 

the screen range is also pretty much similar in end when you spread the ardboys. I don't see any reason to use hobgrot at the moment

On 5/2/2022 at 4:27 AM, DerZauberer said:

Had some nice games over the weekend against Maggotkin and Stormcast and won both with following Big Waaagh List:

I think it has a lot of unique options and takes good advantage of big waaagh with 4 spell casters. It pretty much has all the tools (gorkamorka warcry, hand of gork, nasty hex) and gobsprakk is a great utility piece here as well. You generate good Waaagh Points and have the neceserry redundant warchanters for BW.

I played it slowly and cagey turn 1 and 2 as BW and the chosen units are inherintly slow. Gobsprakks reposition 6" here was very helpful.  You pretty much have 3 major threats, the Brutes with Violent Fury, the Gore Gruntas with Violent Fury and your kruleboyz ball (snatchboss, swampcaller and boltboyz). The ardboyz are primarily for screening the boltboyz, snatchaboss and wizards. The Weirdnob is allways a certain threat with his mask, so thats nice as well.

If you get to +1/+1 hit/wound, all the venom buffs etc. this list is very scary with all the buffing and debuffing going on, but i can imagine it crumbles to alphastrikes, as you can only cover little territory with unleash hell boltboyz (but if they can unleash hell, they are a major threat). Without violent fury and the venom buffs, the damage output of this list is very lackluster. It really shines when getting to 20 Waaagh Points.

No MBMK is ofcourse sad, but i allways use him way to aggressive for BW lists, so skipping him was no big deal for me in BW.

Another issue are command points - you need reposition and unleash hell, but also inspiring presence for your brutes and all out defence. 

Do you guys use the Ere we go Heroic action? Its easy on the first turn (but also gives just one point), but do you use it on the 2+ turn? I cant justify using the hereoic action as command points or finest hour are just to good in this list imo.

Whats your oppinion on the list? Anything you miss? 

Really love your list. It actually solves an issue I had with mine where I was missing another threat and the Snatchaboss fills that purpose + increasing the MWs. 

Have you thought about something like this? In my version I have a fair bit more screens 

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Gobsprakk, The Mouth of Mork (280)
Wurrgog Prophet (150)
- Artefact: Glowin' Tattooz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot (105)
Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast (315)
- General
- Command Trait: Egomaniak
- Artefact: Mork's Eye Pebble
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (115)
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (115)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (340)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Reinforced x 1
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (240)
- Reinforced x 1
*Warlord
**Warlord

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 135
Drops: 12

On 5/9/2022 at 11:44 AM, broche said:

@Jabbuk i like it overall, would probably drop 1 warchanter and 5 ardboys for 1 more hammer if I were playing this (3 more gruntas maybe?)

Good point, thanks for considering it. My reasoning is that I feel like a single Warchanter with an Arcane Tome is a super big target to kill for the opponent and like @derzauberer said, it is the lynchpin to trigger the damage of all IJ units. By having 2, it brings redundancy at least if one were to die early.

I finally got to play with one of my BW list last night. It had been a while I had played and we stopped around turn 4 with a victory on my end, but I can say that this list was really cool to play and felt balanced. My opponent was playing Nurgle with 3 GUOs and Plaguebearers with synergies around summoning. We were playing Marking Territories so the deployment favored me a little I think because we were far apart.

My list:

Spoiler

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)*
- General
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Command Trait: Mega Bossy
- Artefact: Destroyer
Orruk Warchanter (115)*
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (115)**
Wurrgog Prophet (150)**
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot (105)*

Battleline
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)**
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)*
10 x Orruk Ardboys (170)***
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Orruk Brutes (320)***
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- 2x Gore Choppas
- Reinforced x 1

Units
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (240)***
- Reinforced x 1

Artillery
Beast-skewer Killbow (130)

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Warlord
***Hunters of the Heartlands

Additional Enhancements
Artefact
Artefact

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Wounds: 130
Drops: 11

Key Takeaways:

• Big Waaagh points generate MUCH faster than I thought. By turn 2, I was around 20 WPs and was ready to rock. I rolled hot on the D6 from the General and it really helped. Playing BW felt good, even though I was worried it was less powerful than 2.0. 
  • The casting bonus is really good. I had an Arcane Tome on the Warchanter and the Wurgogg and Shaman. I also rolled hot on the spells and unbinds and I denied quite a few spells. 
  • The Wurgogg with Glowing Tattoos is incredibly fun and powerful. He did something like 18 MWs over the course of 2 turns and ended up dying. For this reason, I think it is imperative to go for Warlord batallions for BW lists, so you can really maximize your characters with artefacts, including the Wurgogg who needs to have the ward on 4+ otherwise he'll just die too fast. I rolled way too many 1s and 2s and had to roll D6 MW everytime. The glowing tattoos saved him many, many times.
  • The MawKrusha is still the best hammer possible. We're lucky to have this piece in our army. He delivers upwards of 30 wounds wherever you feel like. With Fast Un as a trait, it ensures you can stay kind of back and wait for the opponent's army to spread out a bit to delete the right target. 36in fly is just crazy. I love this guy.
  • The Killbow performance was mixed. Turn 1, I managed to teleport the Kill bow in the middle of the board, on a terrain piece, which ensured I covered the entire thing and could fire away the next shooting phase. I rolled pretty bad the first 2 turns, to be honest, but he did something like 8-9 MWs in a single shot to a GUO. I mean my opponent was playing the perfect list for me to bring this (3 Monsters) and I whiffed quite a lot with it unfortunately. I still need to play more games to see if it's worth it. Teleporting it in the middle was an OK move, but I couldn't buff it anymore with the poison, though. Not sure if I'll do that again. I wanted to cripple his GUOs as much as possible but it's too swingy.
  • The Boltboyz are really good. Mixing those guys to just stay behind and shoot MWs at the opponent feels really good in the BG list. They were standing behind a wall of 10 ardboys stuck in combat with plaguebearers, and they were just shooting MWs at stuff in the back, weakening a GUO or finishing the Plaguebearers. They are an excellent addition for me and performed as expected. I did however miscalculated my distances quite a lot for Unleash Hell. I need to put these guys even further back in the deployment to make sure I can't get reached easily within 3'.
  • The Shaman with Pot Grot is just a poison factory, as expected. To me, just the fact he empowers the Boltboys justifies his spot in the army.
  • Ardboys are really good screens. I wouldn't consider them chaff because these guys have staying power and are just annoying. I had MWs everywhere because of diseases and, although plaguebearers don't really hit for squats, they kept everything protected for me to rack up points and they did their job well. They do no damage, however. Consider them as excellent screens. They are invaluable for the army imo.
  • Having 2 Warchanters felt really useful. I had my Brutes behind a Ardboys wall and they always had the VF buff every turn, while my MK always had the other one. I was always ready to improvise if I saw an opportunity. This felt really good, instead of having to choose one or the other, and perhaps missing my shot because I chose the wrong unit to buff.
  • This army likes to stay together in a ball and have counter charges and shooting ready. I got lucky because I unbound twice a very harmful spell from Nurgle that increases the disease spread to units adjacent, so this is definitely a weakness of the army. If those had landed, I think things could've went south because I would've a much higher MW count on everyone. Everything kind of needs to stay together and I feel like I can't really split the army efficiently, aside from the MK. 
  • Drawn to the Waaagh is difficult to pull off. The reason why I had a block of 10 ardboys is that I wanted to try the mechanic of Rally on 4+. Rally is really difficult to pull of for melee units. You're always too close to an enemy unit or in combat. I had a single opportunity to do it in 3 turns, to bring back 3 ardboys and I whiffed all 3 dice. It felt really bad to waste a Command Point. Not sure if a unit of 10 is necessary but I kinda liked it.
  • I often felt like I was starved for CP. Or I had just enough. The MK 3units command abilities is incredible and it really helped with spending less CPs. Having the Mega Bossy trait, I'm not sure if I was using it the right way. It says that I can issue MD again even if it was issued in the turn. So I would to MD with a Warchanter on a unit (spend a CP), and then do it with the MK on 3 other units (with a CP). Is that correct? Having the 2 extra CPs from Warlord feels really good though and I made a mistake of using one in the first turn or so. Note to self, always keep the CPs for later turns.
  • 11 drops felt fine because I feel like we play a castle anyway, so I didn't mind starting. He gave me first and I covered some ground, positioned my units and was ready for counter. I believe I won Turn 2 so it really helped.

I think that's it for the takeaways. I'm not sure how to improve this list if I ever drop the Killbow for something else. It puts me in a strange position for points and I can't get close to 2000 with anything. Suggestions are welcomed.

Edited by Jabbuk
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

I finally got to play with one of my BW list last night. It had been a while I had played and we stopped around turn 4 with a victory on my end, but I can say that this list was really cool to play and felt balanced. My opponent was playing Nurgle with 3 GUOs and Plaguebearers with synergies around summoning. We were playing Marking Territories so the deployment favored me a little I think because we were far apart.

My list:

Hide contents

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)*
- General
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Command Trait: Mega Bossy
- Artefact: Destroyer
Orruk Warchanter (115)*
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (115)**
Wurrgog Prophet (150)**
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot (105)*

Battleline
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)**
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)*
10 x Orruk Ardboys (170)***
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Orruk Brutes (320)***
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- 2x Gore Choppas
- Reinforced x 1

Units
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (240)***
- Reinforced x 1

Artillery
Beast-skewer Killbow (130)

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Warlord
***Hunters of the Heartlands

Additional Enhancements
Artefact
Artefact

Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Wounds: 130
Drops: 11

I think that's it for the takeaways. I'm not sure how to improve this list if I ever drop the Killbow for something else. It puts me in a strange position for points and I can't get close to 2000 with anything. Suggestions are welcomed.

I agree with all your takeaways, except maybe how fast the points add up. Wish I had your luck with that, heh.

The Killbow is definitely the fat in the list.

I could very well be wrong about this, but don't you need a commander and 2 subs per warlord? I'm only seeing 5 heroes? 

If I'm right, another character should replace the bow. Another Warchanter is never bad, maybe a Weirdnob or hey what about a Fungoid Cave Shaman for the cp? I actually like the Murknob for the spell defense. 

If I'm wrong then a small unit of Man-skewers for more range poke or Big Stabbaz for more poke over the head of the ard boyz.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tomplex said:

I could very well be wrong about this, but don't you need a commander and 2 subs per warlord? I'm only seeing 5 heroes? 

Oh man... My list is illegal. Nice catch. Well, okay. Back to the drawing board...

Gonna need to think this through. I do have a Fungoid. That could work. I'm just a bit worried I'd lose some damage output. If I could fit like . A breakaboss, now we'd be talking.

17 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

Oh man... My list is illegal. Nice catch. Well, okay. Back to the drawing board...

Gonna need to think this through. I do have a Fungoid. That could work. I'm just a bit worried I'd lose some damage output. If I could fit like . A breakaboss, now we'd be talking.

You could ditch the killbow, which is nothing but a gamble at best.

6 hours ago, Hannibal said:

You could ditch the killbow, which is nothing but a gamble at best.

Right, I agree. I've been thinking about this list here that I'd like to try:

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Gobsprakk, The Mouth of Mork (280)
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast (315)
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot (105)
Orruk Warchanter (115)

Battleline
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (170)
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)

Units
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (240)
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (120)

Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Wounds: 116
Drops: 10

What do you guys think about units of 3 Boltboyz/MSU. What would be the disadvantage of running a small unit compared to larger ones?

I'd like to put them in a unit of 9 but I can't reinforce twice.

I prefer having the MSU boltboyz as you get an extra shot in total and i dont realy use any commands on them even if unleash is strong. And putting them as 6 makes it a more juicy target for you opponent, and they are so squishy that i'd prefer them spending to much and hopefully overkilling my MSUs. 

That said, with the swampcalla and sludgeraker i would probably reinforce them as you get more value from the buffs.

• Like 1

With nurgle and now nighthaunt and daughters able to prevent you from using Inspiring Presence i wonder if it might be worth taking another look at Gutrippaz and a Killaboss to keep them around with All Part of da Plan. 

I really hope they get a points drop...

What do you guys think of Gutrippaz in Big Waaagh? I sometimes have 200pts leftover in my lists and I have a hard time filling it up without leaving too much pts on the table because of weird pts (170 or 160). 

I feel like they would be pretty good, adding quite a few wounds more. Are they worth using even if I don't have a Sludgeraker in the list?

Edited by Jabbuk

37 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

What do you guys think of Gutrippaz in Big Waaagh? I sometimes have 200pts leftover in my lists and I have a hard time filling it up without leaving too much pts on the table because of weird pts (170 or 160). 

I feel like they would be pretty good, adding quite a few wounds more. Are they worth using even if I don't have a Sludgeraker in the list?

Someone here used to ally some Spider Riders or a Skitterstrand Arachnarok. Imho u cant really go wrong with more bodies.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had my Big Waaagh! Vs Soulblight yesterday on Power Struggle. Was a really fun game and tabled them in T3!

T1 - I finished deploying second and was given first turn, I played with the double turn in mind and moved up with the ironjawz castle a bit cagey. He'd put 40 zombies in the grave so I zoned out the forward 2 gravesites and took the central objective with the incarnate and boardboys.

He'd moved up and charged into the ardboys with a unit of 5 black knights, 4 of which died to unleash hell from the 6 boltboyz! Followed up with a Black Coach charge into ardboys and brutes. Radukar the Beast, 5 black knights and the Wight King charged the incarnate, whilst the blood knights charged the boarboys.

The boarboys survived with 1 model left, and the incarnate to 9 wounds altogether, in return it killed 5 black knights and did a few wounds to the wight king, the boar boys killed a single blood knight and did a couple of wounds to Radukar which were healed. SBG failed to make much of an impact at the other side though, plinking off a couple of wounds from a brute, before killing the black knights and duffing up the black coach a fair bit! I inspiring prescence'd the single boarboy to deny his a bonus to Endless Legions and to keep the blood knights stuck there. The incarnate passed and survived.

T2 - This is where it really shunted into my favour though the wurrgog killed himself. I won priority and went first, buffing everything up and revealing that it was the Troggoths birthday! (Their Finest Hour) and using his mount trait to move him up in the hero phase. The boltboyz shuffled around and shot the black coach, doing fine and taking it down to a couple of wounds remaining.

The troll and remaining boarboys charged into the blood knights, killing all but 1, The incarnate finished off the black knights and chunked the wight king a little more. Brutes finished off the black coach fairly easily, the fight back was pretty pillow fisted, killing 4 boarboys and dealing 1 wound to the incarnate.

His turn he charged some grave guard in which were easily dealt with, and radukar was finally taken out by the incarnate, not before killing the Troggoth though.

T3 - He wins priority this time and drops his 40 zombies way in his deployment zone, but still manages a charge with them! At this point the game is pretty much decided, and none of his units really make an impact.

On my turn I declare a Waaagh! Just to secure it, one unit of brutes killing 27 zombies as his general bites the dust too.

We shake hands at this point and declare a good game!

20220614_195615.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Iksdee said:

Question, do our battleline sword (or other 1 inch melee weapon) units get better with these new rules? Thinking about Morboys here.

Yes. The conditions are

• The unit has less than 5 wounds.
  • The unit doesn't have mounts.
  • The unit is battleline.
  • The model is within 1/2" of another friendly model in it's own unit.
  • The other friendly model is within 1/2" of an enemy unit.

Basically infantry can now ALWAYS fight in 2 rows now.