Games Workshop aggressively implementing new IP policy.

HollowHills

1 hour ago, Deepkin said:

No, though I am slightly surprised by the amount of people who think an international corporation deserves their undying loyalty and defense.

There is no such thing as loyalty in a consumer relationship. Only people who are getting enough of what they want for the time being. What you perceive as loyalty is just humans with a different value calculation. I wish we would stop with the solipsisms in here for a week or so. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, whispersofblood said:

There is no such thing as loyalty in a consumer relationship. Only people who are getting enough of what they want for the time being. What you perceive as loyalty is just humans with a different value calculation. I wish we would stop with the solipsisms in here for a week or so. 

Perhaps for you, but it seems others feel quite a bit of loyalty to corporations. Ye who live in solipsistic houses shall not cast not the first stone, et c.

• Like 2

There's a pretty good body of law on this issue (in both the US and the UK), so it will be clear for people in the know to police it properly. A quick shorthand is:

1. You cannot claim something is a product from company X when it is not
  2. You can make similarity claims in the US (the status in the UK and Europe is significantly shakier), e.g. "partially compatible with X or on the same scale as Y"
  3. GW obviously cannot prohibit people from making derivative original products (and given GW's IP itself is largely derivative, should be careful about pushing such claims because wow that's going to boomerang)
  4. What GW can do, and quite frankly, probably should do, is aggressively go after people who are engaging in deceptive marketing, claiming their products are GW products when they are not, or claiming direct compatibility when such products would not be allowed in GW stores / at GW events

So my quick thoughts are basically that a crackdown on 3rd party stuff misrepresenting is good, but GW needs to be careful not to overreach too much or (at least in some US jurisdictions) they could find themselves on the bad end of some counter-suits around anti-SLAPP or anti-commercial interference. With that said, most sellers are also totally uninformed as to how to do things correctly and legally, so it might be a slap fight by incompetents. In reality most platforms will just take things down, people will re-post them, and it will be a perpetual game of whack-a-mole.

Edited by Reinholt
  • Like 7

On 9/24/2021 at 1:04 PM, Deepkin said:

No, though I am slightly surprised by the amount of people who think an international corporation deserves their undying loyalty and defense.

Ah yes those are of course the same thing. Cause obviusly pointing out extreemly clear economic motives is a defence. 

2 hours ago, Zappgrot said:

Ah yes those are of course the same thing. Cause obviusly pointing out extreemly clear economic motives is a defence. 

Yes yes, I'm sure all the primaris lieutenants sleep easy in their boxes at night knowing no evil teenagers will be playing dirty 3d printed models in the utopia of gaming that is the corner GW store.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-09-29-where-is-the-line-between-fan-creativity-and-ip-infringement

this is about videogames, but nevertheless an interesting read as it touches the same topics discussed here. 

On 9/25/2021 at 7:19 PM, Reinholt said:
  1. You can make similarity claims in the US (the status in the UK and Europe is significantly shakier), e.g. "partially compatible with X or on the same scale as Y"

maybe GW should take an approach similar to D&D OGL licesing so people could make stuff (maybe not minis 😅) "compatible with everyones favourite miniatures game"

2 hours ago, Gotz said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-09-29-where-is-the-line-between-fan-creativity-and-ip-infringement

this is about videogames, but nevertheless an interesting read as it touches the same topics discussed here. 

maybe GW should take an approach similar to D&D OGL licesing so people could make stuff (maybe not minis 😅) "compatible with everyones favourite miniatures game"

GW is to the right of Disney and Nintendo in regard of being generous with other people using IP they touched.

17 hours ago, Deepkin said:

Yes yes, I'm sure all the primaris lieutenants sleep easy in their boxes at night knowing no evil teenagers will be playing dirty 3d printed models in the utopia of gaming that is the corner GW store.

Gw stores are about as far from a utopia as realiticly possible. But expecting them to allow 3d printed stuff is eeh........ a wierd stance to  take.