New AoS app now available

HollowHills

Everything to do with battalions in the army builder is a hot mess - how they are displayed on the main screen, how they aren't clearly differentiated if you take more than one of the same battalion, how you choose which slot they go into, etc. 

Also it doesn't let you choose a generic spell lore spell for an ally wizard, which seems wrong to me unless I've played that wrong all this time - ally wizards still get the spell enhancement, don't they? They just can't take from your faction-specific spell lore?

i thought you could take any endless spell in any allegiance but you could only cast them if you had a wizard from that faction but in the stormforge its not letting you take Skaven/StD/BoC endless spells in a nurgle army for example.

Is this intentional and I just interpretted the rules wrong or an oversight?

Edited by TheMuphinMan

I can no longer view allegiance abilities and enhancements for the older battletomes. That was a quick honeymoon. Back to other sources. 😞

On the plus side, it is nice that the warscrolls still show points and that FAQs and core rules are still accessible. I like having these consolidated instead of referencing separate PDFs. 

4 hours ago, yukishiro1 said:

Everything to do with battalions in the army builder is a hot mess - how they are displayed on the main screen, how they aren't clearly differentiated if you take more than one of the same battalion, how you choose which slot they go into, etc. 

Also it doesn't let you choose a generic spell lore spell for an ally wizard, which seems wrong to me unless I've played that wrong all this time - ally wizards still get the spell enhancement, don't they? They just can't take from your faction-specific spell lore?

Nope allies don’t get anything except what’s on their warscroll

Honestly, yea, I kinda do not get why some people said that new app is much better. For rules - sure, it's easier to read them now, once you get used to a simplified version, that's a big plus. But warscrolls are less easier to read due to a new design (too oversimplified), and army builder seems like a pure downgrade if compared to the old one. Units are not organized by their roles, but in the order you take them, you can't see artefacts and spells they take in the main list... Even if this was completely free, I would still use Warscroll Builder or BattleScribe for listbuilding instead.

Edited by Zeblasky
  • Like 2

Yeah, the army builder is really awkward to use. It feels like it was made by someone who doesn't actually play the game and therefore doesn't understand what's actually a useful way to set up an army creator for said game. 

Warscroll Builder is vastly better. Which makes me more and more afraid they're going to axe it because it makes their paid competition look bad. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 2

One thing that bothers me about the new app, didn’t they explicitly say that they built the new app because Path To Glory wasn’t compatible with the old app? And yet the new app doesn’t currently support Path To Glory either, and the 40K app still doesn’t support Crusade.

they should have maintained the old app until Path To Glory was supported by the new app and THEN replaced it.

there are things I like and prefer about each app, but I think overall the old one was better.

the issues I have with the new app are:
-tablet screens not supported, so you end up with black bars around the edges and only half the screen is used
-list builder doesn’t incorporate weapon options 
-list builder by default has all possible ally units listed when you go to add units to your list, you can filter them out, but I think personally it should have been the other way round.
-it has nothing like the My Battle feature of the old app. You can access the warscrolls in the list builder, but it requires an extra step that My Battle didn’t.
-when you exit out of a warscroll, it takes you back to the top of the list of warscrolls (a massive pain for Stormcast who have 50 heroes to scroll through before you get to the other units)
-like the old app, the model image for the Warden King is a very old metal one rather than the current plastic model (not a big deal, just something that’s always bothered me and they carried it forward to the new app as well)
-you need a constant internet connection (wifi or mobile data) to use the app, as it’s programmed to check your subscription status upon opening the app (although the app is currently free, the function of checking subscription status is built into the app, so without internet it will give you an error message and you can’t do anything)

things I like about the new app:
-unlike the 40K one, you can rotate it into landscape rather than locked to portrait 
-unlike the 40K one, when updates apply to a battletome via another book (eg Broken Realms), those changes are reflected in the battletome section as well, proved the update replaced something (eg a new warscroll)
-unlike Azyr, the list builder seems to be mostly correct and functions as intended (I gave up on Azyr and just used Warscroll Builder because there were too many errors and slow to update it)
-I think the presentation is a bit better, and the warscrolls are a big improvement over the old app
-this app feels like more effort has gone into it, despite the few issues it has, which should be a good sign for the future 

• Like 3

Looking around the app, is there somewhere to look up which factions a faction can take allies from? The rules say they are listed at the bottom of the pitch battle profiles but I can't see them there.

So is this info on the app and if so where?

Edit: is it a case of using the army builder and seeing which other units are available? Which seems kind of clunky if that's the only way.

Edited by EntMan

Is the core book (e.g. from Dominion) supposed to have a code to unlock it in the app?  the new app has like Core Battalions locked and says:

If you own a copy of Warhammer Age of Sigmar Core Book you can access this content. Find out more on our official website.

but there's no code.  Just an oversight (pretty big one IMHO)?  I have to say, so far not too thrilled with this app compared to Azyr.  Also the fact there's no way to edit the size/etc. of an army list, you have to delete and recreate it.  

Edited by wayniac

22 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys with warhammer+ i can have new books aviable on aos app? For exemple new stormcast and warcan books?

Only if you buy those books. There is a code in the back of them but at the moment you can make lists and see scrolls. 

All other books you can see but you will need to sign up to the Warhammer+ service once the beta finishes. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there somewhere to report errors in content in the new app to GW? And do we know how often they will be updating it? 

I have noticed in the app that Aetherwings, Gryph Hounds and Flagellants have a save of 0 rather than '-'

I assume this is a mistake rather than Sigmar blessing these loyal servants with sigmarite skin!

Edited by EntMan
  • Like 1