New AoS app now available

HollowHills

19 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Apparently there's also an FAQ for the app which is almost comically evasive on future paywall

Screenshot_20210915-150405.jpg.eb8eecbd5a5f20e1a7397878f69680da.jpg

Screenshot_20210915-150617.jpg.1b2db7609f093441b4f19dfd48154a42.jpg

It’s genuinely hilarious how they can’t bring themselves to give a straight answer to anything. See also: how much is it?

image.png.2bc3fd5b1f7e589bdac3ae4fbc1256e8.png

Answer: the app is currently free but some of it won’t be free in the future but we won’t tell you what or how much except it’s part of a subscription service that we’re also trying to sell you but won’t tell you how much that is, even though that information is already out there.

Well I’m enlightened. 

Edited by PrimeElectrid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I think its saying you DONT have to have a subscription to access the rules to the battletome you already paid for. A good thing but we'll see how much of the app stays locked even when you buy the books. It could easily be enough to make it not worth it if you don't pay. Built in inconvenience to market convenience is a well known strategy.

I dont know whats better. Paying for warhammer+ and get access to everything or having to buy all books for all armies so i can use the app. I guess we have to wait and see.

So the 40k app let you have access to ALL rules released before the app came out. So as long as you have a warhammer+ sub, you should be able to see all rules for all battletomes other than Orruks and SCE.

Typically, with locked battletomes, you could only see the basic warscroll and the names of the special rules. 

Whats strange about the AOS app is that you can currently see almost all of the SCE and Orruk special rules. Only a few things like artefacts, mount traits, and command traits are locked. This is probably an oversight or a beta perk. I imagine they will get locked again when it gets out of beta. 

4 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

So the 40k app let you have access to ALL rules released before the app came out. So as long as you have a warhammer+ sub, you should be able to see all rules for all battletomes other than Orruks and SCE.

Typically, with locked battletomes, you could only see the basic warscroll and the names of the special rules. 

Whats strange about the AOS app is that you can currently see almost all of the SCE and Orruk special rules. Only a few things like artefacts, mount traits, and command traits are locked. This is probably an oversight or a beta perk. I imagine they will get locked again when it gets out of beta. 

Could this mean that warscrolls stay free and the rest become locked. Like azyr was? I could be wrong, havent used azyr for a while. Rules behind a buying battletome wall and army building behind a warhammer+ wall.

Edited by Iksdee

Just to clarify for those who aren’t aware, this app appears to be built off the 40K app (layout and functionality appear almost identical)

the way the 40K app is ‘paywalled’ is as follows, and I expect AoS to be the same:
-free access to datasheets/warscrolls to see their stats (abilities however are locked).
-subscription to the app/Warhammer+ gives you access to all the rules for the existing books, points costs and the list builder.
-as a new book is released, the old one is removed. You can access the datasheets to see their stats (abilities however are locked) but need the code from a physical book to unlock the rules content (allegiance abilities, spells, full datasheets etc). You do NOT need a subscription to access the rules content for any books you have a code for, but will not be able to use the list builder without one.

Edited by Joseph Mackay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Just to clarify for those who aren’t aware, this app appears to be built off the 40K app (layout and functionality appear almost identical)

the way the 40K app is ‘paywalled’ is as follows, and I expect AoS to be the same:
-free access to datasheets/warscrolls to see their stats (abilities however are locked).
-subscription to the app/Warhammer+ gives you access to all the rules for the existing books, points costs and the list builder.
-as a new book is released, the old one is removed. You can access the datasheets to see their stats (abilities however are locked) but need the code from a physical book to unlock the rules content (allegiance abilities, spells, full datasheets etc). You do NOT need a subscription to access the rules content for any books you have a code for, but will not be able to use the list builder without one.

Warscrolls are useless without abilities. Doesnt really help anyone imo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Can you clarify what you mean by (abilities not included). You mean like army rules and spells and stuff yeah?

Can you subscribe to the app separately from subscribing to W+ and if so do you know if that has changed since the launch of W+

If they make the warscrolls free and lock the book rules behind purchase of books and the army builder behind a subscription that would be fine with me. Still a step backwards since the battletome rules aren't really equal to a digital battletome but it's also "free" if you buy the 50 dollar book that just went up in cost... this got less fine as I typed. All at what I assume (no proof one way or the other) will be an increased cost.

While it has been a fine quality of life thing that we could use free warscrolls for a few years we are going back to the age of books it seems. I dont see any reason to pay 55 euros a year to use an army building app i already have to buy the rules for. Pen and paper works just as fine. I guess i u really want a "free" model and also play 40k and u like to watch things that are free on youtube it could be worth your money.

Edited by Iksdee

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Can you clarify what you mean by (abilities not included). You mean like army rules and spells and stuff yeah?

Can you subscribe to the app separately from subscribing to W+ and if so do you know if that has changed since the launch of W+

If they make the warscrolls free and lock the book rules behind purchase of books and the army builder behind a subscription that would be fine with me. Still a step backwards since the battletome rules aren't really equal to a digital battletome but it's also "free" if you buy the 50 dollar book that just went up in cost... this got less fine as I typed. All at what I assume (no proof one way or the other) will be an increased cost.

Not sure if you can subscribe separately, but the 40k app by itself use to be $2.99 USD a month while you can get a Warhammer+ sub for $60 USD a year.

I know these are tight times, but the free model, gift voucher, and tv series are worth the extra $2 a month, at least to me. I bet the assassin model will sell on ebay for at least $50. Thats my plan anyway. 

10 minutes ago, Iksdee said:

Could this mean that warscrolls stay free and the rest become locked. Like azyr was? I could be wrong, havent used azyr for a while. Rules behind a buying battletome wall and army building behind a warhammer+ wall.

Yea, you should always be able to see a Warscroll. But the special rules and allegiance abilities on the warscrolls would be locked, if they belong to a battletome released after the app launched. 

So right now literally every rule from every battletome is in the app, other than Orruks and SCE.

Just to let people know,  GW are doing a survey for this to get some feedback: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/3DSRJ8N?utm_source=WarhammerCommunity&utm_medium=Post&utm_campaign=TryOutWarhammerAgeofSigmarTheAppandtheStormForgeArmyList-buildingToolRightNowforFree15092021&utm_content=TryOutWarhammerAgeofSigmarTheAppandtheStormForgeArmyList-buildingToolRightNowforFree15092021

Feel free to to pass on any feedback you have but I would suggest rather than phrasing things like “paywall” try saying that you like having access to all the warscrolls now off the website or in the Azyr app. I can honestly say if you have your feedback in such a negative stance (for example, the app is okay but I hate the way you have put everything behind a paywall), the person reading the feedback will just see it as moaning rather than a genuine comment. It shouldn’t work that way but unfortunately it does. Im not excusing that but if you want a chance of seeing the warscrolls on the basic membership, I would suggest this plan of action. If enough people comment, it may help it.

From my experience with the app, I quite like it and it’s way better than the 40K one (even though it seems the same engine). Quite easy to pick up and use and all the info seems correct. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Just to let people know,  GW are doing a survey for this to get some feedback: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/3DSRJ8N?utm_source=WarhammerCommunity&utm_medium=Post&utm_campaign=TryOutWarhammerAgeofSigmarTheAppandtheStormForgeArmyList-buildingToolRightNowforFree15092021&utm_content=TryOutWarhammerAgeofSigmarTheAppandtheStormForgeArmyList-buildingToolRightNowforFree15092021

Feel free to to pass on any feedback you have but I would suggest rather than phrasing things like “paywall” try saying that you like having access to all the warscrolls now off the website or in the Azyr app. I can honestly say if you have your feedback in such a negative stance (for example, the app is okay but I hate the way you have put everything behind a paywall), the person reading the feedback will just see it as moaning rather than a genuine comment. It shouldn’t work that way but unfortunately it does. Im not excusing that but if you want a chance of seeing the warscrolls on the basic membership, I would suggest this plan of action. If enough people comment, it may help it.

From my experience with the app, I quite like it and it’s way better than the 40K one (even though it seems the same engine). Quite easy to pick up and use and all the info seems correct. 

I will do this. Hope im not the only one XD.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SugarWaterPurple said:

This may be the wrong thread to ask, but for vanari units with wizards...i thought they could obtain a spell from the spell list in addition to the power of hysh? The app doesn't allow you to add a spell to the unit(s).  Was I interpreting this wrong the entire time?

No, you are not wrong. The app is missing that.

The new app is great! It's wonderful being able to see all of the rules and warscrolls in an easily navigatable format, and comes across as a very professional way for GW to make their game accessable. Well done!

This needs to be kept freely available to the player base. I've provided them my feedback saying as such. For me, seeing the rules of models before purchase and fully understanding the rules of opposing armies are non-negotiable to my hobby. I am also unwilling to purchase every single battletome for factions I have no desire to collect, especially with how fast they become obsolete. A free resource like this app is exactly what GW should provide the player base to fully enjoy their game, and will naturally result in making the game more accessible so people spend more money on their core business model... Models!

If this becomes locked behind WH+ I will be very disappointed, as I see that service as exceedingly poor value for the money. I would have to go back to getting all of the rules through other means. 

Edited by Orbei

The in app army builder doesn't seem to be very good. It doesn't seem to understand "battleline if" and reinforcement. 

Otherwise the rules and stuff are fine, I'm not going to pay for it unless they just make all the rules included as part of the sub. 

I will happily pay money for access to rules if it's done fairly, I'm not willing to buy every book that comes out at £30 rrp just to be able to check my opponent's rules. 

2 minutes ago, Sleepa said:

Well this what they announced is available for the 40k app, so hopefully it's at least equivalent to this:

Free vs paid features.png

I think this is exactly what many are worried about, that we will ultimately get the same treatment as 40k. We already had warscrolls for free up until now, and we have a free army builder, too.

The only way I see in which the app could actually improve my AoS experience is by letting me look at all faction rules, not just the ones for armies I already have the battletome for. I'd be prepared to pay the warhammer+ subscription fee for that. But if I am supposed to pay a subscription fee for warscrolls and a list builder, then that's objectively worse than the status quo.

• Thanks 1

The rules portion of the app is surprisingly good, much better than the 40k one. There are still some minor lazy issues like it sending you back to the top of the warscroll list every time you hit back, not where the unit was - which makes comparing two Stormcast battleline scrolls a massive pain since you have to scroll down 40+ entries each time you hit back to get back to where you were - but that's honestly pretty minor stuff. I am pleasantly surprised, this isn't the hot mess most of us were expecting given how the 40k app started. 

The army builder is pretty junky at this point, all sorts of errors and stuff missing. Warscroll builder is much better, and that's just run by one guy. Unfortunately I think it is almost a given at this point that Warscroll Builder is getting squatted, because why would you pay to have access to this inferior app version when there's a better version you can access for free on the GW website? 

Edited by yukishiro1