The End of Free Warscrolls

HollowHills

There is also an accessibility issue to consider.

I've always been able to download scrolls, and print out large print versions of them, making A3 sized roster sheets with a three or so scrolls all with a larger text size than they appear in the book, let alone on the instruction manuals.

I can cope with the size of print in the books, for the most part, but it slows me down. There is no way I will ever be able to comfortably read something off of a phone screen, and honestly even trying to use an app on a table in the "heat of battle" is going to be uncomfortable and distracting.

I'm sure there aren't a vast number of partially sighted warhammer players, but nonetheless, its always frustrating when a bit of good accessibility is taken away. (Even if it was always accidental in the first place, and no one in power ever considered the issue in the first place). I have no idea how the app would compare to the pdf if using screen readers, but would be interested to know.

So, from my point of view, even if they do remain "free" in some shape or form, they are effectively beyond my reach. I'm not going to pay for an app which I can barely use, and which will adversely affect my enjoyment. As it happens I'm pretty much done with AoS for the time being anyway, so its not a big deal, but its another nail in the coffin for me. I'll be sticking with more accessible games from now on (though I should hasten to add that I'm still excited about the minis/painting, and will be frequenting this community. I'm just burnt out on the game itself, which I barely played anyway).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

37 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

There is also an accessibility issue to consider.

I've always been able to download scrolls, and print out large print versions of them, making A3 sized roster sheets with a three or so scrolls all with a larger text size than they appear in the book, let alone on the instruction manuals.

I can cope with the size of print in the books, for the most part, but it slows me down. There is no way I will ever be able to comfortably read something off of a phone screen, and honestly even trying to use an app on a table in the "heat of battle" is going to be uncomfortable and distracting.

I'm sure there aren't a vast number of partially sighted warhammer players, but nonetheless, its always frustrating when a bit of good accessibility is taken away. (Even if it was always accidental in the first place, and no one in power ever considered the issue in the first place). I have no idea how the app would compare to the pdf if using screen readers, but would be interested to know.

So, from my point of view, even if they do remain "free" in some shape or form, they are effectively beyond my reach. I'm not going to pay for an app which I can barely use, and which will adversely affect my enjoyment. As it happens I'm pretty much done with AoS for the time being anyway, so its not a big deal, but its another nail in the coffin for me. I'll be sticking with more accessible games from now on (though I should hasten to add that I'm still excited about the minis/painting, and will be frequenting this community. I'm just burnt out on the game itself, which I barely played anyway).

If you have issues with sight then you probably dont get much use out of seeing things on youtube on the phone either etc. I would suggest getting a tablet, which you can get for next to no money (considering how expensive anything else is in this hobby). Should make your life much better. You can also get the app on the tablet which makes everything significantly bigger and easier to read.

I dont really get this whining for the sake of whining though - I mean you said it yourself, you are already done with the game, but  your post just makes you come off as a grumpy old man. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, yukishiro1 said:

What I don't understand is why a company that will do that also takes away free warscrolls and in 2021 is actually discontinuing the digital option and trying to force everyone to still buy physical books. It seems so out of keeping with the rest of their IP strategy for them to be like "yeah, go ahead and literally post every page of our book online, that's fine, as long as it's youtube."

3 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

It’s all about building up hype. That’s it. 

2 hours ago, Sarouan said:

Easy to understand, though. With "free warscrolls", it makes the job easier for third party to gather the informations for their own "app" or assimilated.

It's actually very consistent with their IP protection to keep this behind their own app and youtube partners rather than the webstore. Gives more control for them.

Youtube is about building hype, sure. The fact that people end up learning the rules through it is a side effect. I don't buy into the notion that this has anything to do with IP protection, though. This isn't going to deter wahapedia or piracy at all.  In fact this will almost certainly create more demand for piracy, resulting in more IP infringement. The simplest explanation is that they are trying to drive as much traffic as possible to the app, which will then be placed behind a Warhammer + paywall.

Edited by Orbei

4 hours ago, Lurynsar said:

I understand they’re on the app, and the app is in a free beta. Has this changed?

This is still the case. GW has been very cagey about what will be free after the beta. We know that the army book codes will unlock allegiance abilities. We also know that the app will have a subscription component, which will be included with Warhammer +. It's a pretty reasonable guess that this means warscrolls will be locked behind the paywall, otherwise what would you be paying for? This is the existing 40k model so not a reach to think they intend to push AoS in this direction. 

2 hours ago, Kasper said:

I dont get how this discussion reached 14 pages with the subject "The End of Free Warscrolls" when they have a (currently) free app with all the warscrolls on there for everybody to look at. 

Nobody knows if stuff is being locked behind a paywall - At the moment it seems army specific stuff like command traits/artefacts/spell lores are locked behind actually buying the book - Since you currently unlock it by using a code at the back of the new SCE/Orruks physical book, but the warscrolls themselves are free. Literally nothing has changed, except you cant get them off the GW website but the best source has always been using the free app.

A lot literally has changed. What used to be freely accessible will be put behind a monthly subscription. You can access the battletome you buy in the app without a subscription. All the data sheets (or warscrolls) can only be accessed if you pay for a subscription (so saying they are "free" is not accurate). The app won't be free once it goes out of beta.

16 hours ago, Sarouan said:

I'm not, but you wouldn't be hestitating so much to interrupt your opponent during his turn by simply asking him what does his unit do if you weren't at ease with him. ;)

What I mean is that your cases are all hypothetical to find something that may be in your favor about free warscrolls being available anytime. The thing is : they actually don't need to be useful in this situation at all. You can play a game without feeling the "urgent need" to check the free warcrolls on GW's webstore. That kind of information can be answered in game directly by your opponent after all, can't that ?

The point is, just like how you can ask your opponent without interrupting them you can also look rules up during a game without becoming a social recluse. However, both these things, if done excessively, is going to be disruptive. For instance, if my opponent constantly slows down the game by having me read rules back I'm going to get annoyed.

Similarly, if my opponent seem absent minded and staring at the phone all the time it is going to be a pretty dull game. I don't expect perfect knowledge of the game but I don't appreciate players who act aloof and nonchalant towards the game either. There's two since to each coin and it takes two to tango, is what I'm saying.

In other words, it isn't an "urgent need" but it has been a convenience in both making purchases, planning my army, understanding other armies/rules, and becoming a better opponent overall. Having them be put behind a subscription service I have no interest in is a pretty terrible alternative and will very likely lead to even more players looking for alternative sources.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

A lot literally has changed. What used to be freely accessible will be put behind a monthly subscription. You can access the battletome you buy in the app without a subscription. All the data sheets (or warscrolls) can only be accessed if you pay for a subscription (so saying they are "free" is not accurate). The app won't be free once it goes out of beta.

Where has this been confirmed? Because there is zero indication that you will have to PAY for warscrolls, I havent seen or heard anything about this so it seems like pure speculation. Right now you have free access to the warscrolls and you dont even have to signup with a warhammer account, the only stuff that is locked behind a paywall is the usual battletome-specific things that have always been gated behind buying a book - The new app essentially just allows you to have a digital copy of the book.

Just now, Kasper said:

Where has this been confirmed? Because there is zero indication that you will have to PAY for warscrolls, I havent seen or heard anything about this so it seems like pure speculation. Right now you have free access to the warscrolls and you dont even have to signup with a warhammer account, the only stuff that is locked behind a paywall is the usual battletome-specific things that have always been gated behind buying a book - The new app essentially just allows you to have a digital copy of the book.

Pure speculation would be to assume it will work differently from the rest of the service (W+ and the 40k app). Everything we know so far suggests it will follow the same model as below.

Screenshot 2021-10-29 at 13.38.25.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

Pure speculation would be to assume it will work differently from the rest of the service (W+ and the 40k app). Everything we know so far suggests it will follow the same model as below.

Screenshot 2021-10-29 at 13.38.25.png

Right so the thread is just fearmongering. Seems a bit of a misleadng title.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

48 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

The point is, just like how you can ask your opponent without interrupting them you can also look rules up during a game without becoming a social recluse. However, both these things, if done excessively, is going to be disruptive. For instance, if my opponent constantly slows down the game by having me read rules back I'm going to get annoyed.

Hypothetical case again.

Let's take a situation : I play a game with someone and he uses an army I'm not familiar with. I chat with him and inform him that, asking if he can present his army and what they do in game. Usually that's done during the deployment phase, he makes a short resume for units when he places them. ;)

Most of the time, to be honest, main information is asked when the unit does something relevant with a reaction / action from our part. Like when I'm wondering if I do charge with my units or not, and so on.

It's not harassing your opponent to ask him info you're not aware to when it's relevant without being annoying. After all, it's natural if he does the same if he's not familiar with your army either. Or if he's simply a new player. That kind of information should be shared first before the game, I feel.

48 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

In other words, it isn't an "urgent need" but it has been a convenience in both making purchases, planning my army, understanding other armies/rules, and becoming a better opponent overall. Having them be put behind a subscription service I have no interest in is a pretty terrible alternative and will very likely lead to even more players looking for alternative sources.

And like I said before, convenience was never in question...because if it's just that, I'll make you remember that the app exists and you can consult that kind of information the same way on it. Especially because it's something that's clearly made to be consulted on your phone. Actually, in that case, I believe the app is more convenient than browing on the GW webstore after every unit and then click on the link below to get the said warscroll.

For now, since it's in beta and not behind a paywall, the money argument doesn't apply. And if it did...for the kind of situations you brought ? If it's really something that bothers you and you feel better using your phone to "check" on your opponent without disturbing his turn, maybe that could be worth the fee GW may ask for it if it's not too high (or if it's included in Warhammer + and already have a subscription).

32 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Right so the thread is just fearmongering. Seems a bit of a misleadng title.

I guess Hollowhills could have written "The End of Free Warscrolls on GW Webstore" to be complete, but I don't blame the shortcut here.

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kasper said:

I dont really get this whining for the sake of whining though - I mean you said it yourself, you are already done with the game, but  your post just makes you come off as a grumpy old man. 

A human being just told you that their disability makes this hard for them to access and your first thought is to disparage him for talking bad about GW. Look in the mirror because you need to do some serious reflection on what you value and why. Your post makes you come off as any number of things I can't say under forum rules.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

33 minutes ago, The Red King said:

A human being just told you that their disability makes this hard for them to access and your first thought is to disparage him for talking bad about GW. Look in the mirror because you need to do some serious reflection on what you value and why. Your post makes you come off as any number of things I can't say under forum rules.

Removal of free warscrolls on GW webstore has nothing to do with human disabilities. Maybe stop the disingenuous comparisons to try to make something look more outrageous than it is in reality - especially when it leads you to judge someone solely on whathe wrote.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Sarouan said:

And like I said before, convenience was never in question...because if it's just that, I'll make you remember that the app exists and you can consult that kind of information the same way on it. Especially because it's something that's clearly made to be consulted on your phone. Actually, in that case, I believe the app is more convenient than browing on the GW webstore after every unit and then click on the link below to get the said warscroll.

For now, since it's in beta and not behind a paywall, the money argument doesn't apply. And if it did...for the kind of situations you brought ? If it's really something that bothers you and you feel better using your phone to "check" on your opponent without disturbing his turn, maybe that could be worth the fee GW may ask for it if it's not too high (or if it's included in Warhammer + and already have a subscription).

That is what they're hoping for, yes, that people will relent and start a subscription.

Also, why wouldn't the money argument apply to a temporarily free service? Right now it is free because it helps them with testing and getting us used to new habits (making it easier to sell the service once they flip the monetisation switch). The horrible user experience/interface also makes the convenience factor an issue. Especially since the 40k app still is pretty poor.

It doesn't come across like they made this app for the players but more as a part of their sales funnel. Yes, they're a business but for me it is a hobby which has increasingly become more and more expensive. Most recently,  new Underworlds suddenly jumped to $95 (from $75). Maybe they want to be a luxury hobby complete with gatekeepers and shaming people (not saying you do!) who doesn't want to (or are unable to) cough up the dollar dollar bills.

It is all starting to leave a really bitter taste in one's mouth... But I think I'm veering off topic a bit here.

Hypothetical case again.

Let's take a situation : I play a game with someone and he uses an army I'm not familiar with. I chat with him and inform him that, asking if he can present his army and what they do in game. Usually that's done during the deployment phase, he makes a short resume for units when he places them. ;)

Most of the time, to be honest, main information is asked when the unit does something relevant with a reaction / action from our part. Like when I'm wondering if I do charge with my units or not, and so on.

It's not harassing your opponent to ask him info you're not aware to when it's relevant without being annoying. After all, it's natural if he does the same if he's not familiar with your army either. Or if he's simply a new player. That kind of information should be shared first before the game, I feel.

Yeah, there are degrees and I absolutely agree on communication/setting expectations.

• Like 2

Removal of free warscrolls on GW webstore has nothing to do with human disabilities. Maybe stop the disingenuous comparisons to try to make something look more outrageous than it is in reality - especially when it leads you to judge someone solely on whathe wrote.

Sorry, this needs to be addressed, because Red King is right to point it out.

A person writes that the removal of warscrolls from a manipulatable format is a disability concerns, citing their own disability and the difficulty it would impose on them.  

It's responded to with:

"If you have issues with sight then you probably dont get much use out of seeing things on youtube on the phone either etc. I would suggest getting a tablet, which you can get for next to no money (considering how expensive anything else is in this hobby)." 

Followed by:

"I dont really get this whining for the sake of whining though - I mean you said it yourself, you are already done with the game, but  your post just makes you come off as a grumpy old man. "

The responder begins by offering an alternative option, but then immediately frames everything the poster wrote as "whining for whining's sake".  If that isn't minimizing someone's disability, I'm not sure what is.  Does it matter if the poster is "done with the game"?  They raise a legitimate point about moving the files to an app.  The responder wrote what they wrote, it's not disingenuous to take a poster at their word.  It is, after all, all we have to operate on.

Just as I can say that you writing "removal of free warscrolls on GW webstore has nothing to do with human disabilities" is objectively incorrect.  We just had another poster, who has a disability, comment on the effect it would have on them.  You're flatly saying it isn't relevant, when it is relevant, the question is regarding to what degree.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 4

4 hours ago, Kasper said:

We've been over this about five times in the thread already. Their own page literally has a FAQ asking "what is going to remain free after beta" which they specifically decline to answer. The same FAQ says that the "rules" for pre-2.0 books will be "free to access during the beta period."

They've never made a statement about removing warscrolls from the webstore - it's just been total radio silence. The AOS app is currently in a free beta, with notice that many things that are free now will no longer be free once the beta ends. The FAQ for the AOS app carefully declines to answer what is going to remain free. It doesn't take a genius to put the dots together.

If you choose to believe that warscrolls are going to remain free despite GW specifically refusing to tell us that and despite the notice that features that are currently free are not going to remain free, that's your right I suppose. But it absolutely is not "fear-mongering" to interpret things in the opposite way. I will also note that this thread was made before the app went live; at the time it was made, there was no way to access the scrolls through the app. 

edit: Lol, checked the FAQ again today and they changed the wording of that FAQ question. I guess it was embarrassing for them to directly refuse to answer a question that way. Now it just says:

How much is it?

Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App is currently free to download and use right now, and will remain so while in open beta.
Once the open beta period comes to an end, some features of the app will become part of the Warhammer+ subscription service.

Which is the same answer as before, they just changed the wording of the question since they weren't going to answer it.

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sinbin said:

Sorry, this needs to be addressed, because Red King is right to point it out.

For the comment about "whining", Kasper didn't disparage him for his disability, but the fact he said he was already done with AoS anyway so free warscrolls removed or not, it doesn't matter to him anymore.

About the other part, sounds more like an advice than anything else (a bigger tablet is indeed what I'd rather use than my phone for an app, my sight isn't good as well - there are products specifically made for people with a very bad sight, after all). Not very diplomatic, I agree, but what Red King wrote was being rather quick to judge from what he thought he read. Red King's bad reaction isn't better, here.

And anyway...it brings nothing good to the debate in favor of free warscrolls as well.

2 hours ago, pnkdth said:

Also, why wouldn't the money argument apply to a temporarily free service?

Because you can still use "for free" meanwhile, it's thus even more convenient right now for that reason. ;)

We also don't know how long this "open beta" phase will last. As far as I'm concerned, it could take months or even maybe years.

2 hours ago, pnkdth said:

It doesn't come across like they made this app for the players but more as a part of their sales funnel. Yes, they're a business but for me it is a hobby which has increasingly become more and more expensive. Most recently,  new Underworlds suddenly jumped to $95 (from $75). Maybe they want to be a luxury hobby complete with gatekeepers and shaming people (not saying you do!) who doesn't want to (or are unable to) cough up the dollar dollar bills.

Not sure about the claim they didn't make the app for the players but just for the money, actually. The part about making money is indeed here, but reality is rarely all black and white with human intent - it can actually combine both. It's easy to believe GW as a whole is all evil and calculating in their decisions. But to me, the idea of a specific app gathering all the rules needing to play AoS on a mobile (phone or tablet or laptop, whatever) is pretty much what I'd call a player-friendly tool that is relevant to the new tech tendancies. Doesn't mean all players have to use it as well.

Never forget that behind corporations, there are humans. And they're not all evil managers doing nothing but gather lots of money.

Edited by Sarouan

6 hours ago, Kasper said:

If you have issues with sight then you probably dont get much use out of seeing things on youtube on the phone either etc. I would suggest getting a tablet, which you can get for next to no money (considering how expensive anything else is in this hobby). Should make your life much better. You can also get the app on the tablet which makes everything significantly bigger and easier to read.

That's a fair assessment!

"Don't be mean to the poor little mutli million dollar corporations but if someone says they're leaving the game because it is literally not accessible to them then make sure you kick them on their way out the door!" 

I understand this thread has been left up as a concession by the mods to allow for a little negativity and I genuinely appreciate the amount of stress modding this thread must be but boy did it expose some "stark differences in opinion" in the community. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

"Don't be mean to the poor little mutli million dollar corporations but if someone says they're leaving the game because it is literally not accessible to them then make sure you kick them on their way out the door!" 

He didn't say it was because of accessibility he quit the game. He said he was burned out by the game that he barely played anyway.

That's why I keep pointing the mistakes of the "other side" blaming blindly GW for anything, no matter if it's fake or real. Being angry is always understandable. Trying to find false reasons to justify your anger is not. Don't shift the cause on others while you are part of it.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, The Red King said:

I understand this thread has been left up as a concession by the mods to allow for a little negativity and I genuinely appreciate the amount of stress modding this thread must be but boy did it expose some "stark differences in opinion" in the community. 

Thanks for your post, but there is no need to get into an argument on my account.

I'll set the record straight and then say no more on the subject, but suffice to say accessibility is one fairly major component of why I'll be sitting out 3e, along with there not being a local scene for AoS here. Playing the game in general is made harder by eyesight issues, and while there are certainly work-arounds like trying to get the rules on a larger screen, there is always a cost benefit analysis. I would rather they kept the free pdfs, as that way I have a system in place to make those rules accessible. As it stands I'd have to work out a new way of doing things, for relatively little gain.

For everyone's sake I hope that some level of free rules do end up being available in the app. Saving the old warscrolls before they're gone, or having legacy rules in the app is all well and good, but as things evolve and get superseded, that ceases to be good for those who want to stay up to date.

I reckon that my best bet is to stick with AoS2 and the very comprehensive legends stats, for the occasions I persuade someone to play the game. If and when 4e rolls around I'll revisit that decision and see if I want to buy in again. (Chaos Dwarves if they ever come may change my mind for example). Otherwise I'm happy with the legacy version, and know it will continue to work for me.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

I'll set the record straight and then say no more on the subject, but suffice to say accessibility is one fairly major component of why I'll be sitting out 3e, along with there not being a local scene for AoS here.

Ah, my bad for misinterpreting your post, then. Yes, it's true wargame books aren't designed at all for people with bad eyesight or worse. Even with free warscrolls printed at a bigger size, it's still quite a cost in itself in printed material and gaming space so that you have everything available at hand. AoS is already a game that takes a lot of space and money investment, it clearly doesn't help.

Hope you'll keep having fun with the second version.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Ah, my bad for misinterpreting your post, then. Yes, it's true wargame books aren't designed at all for people with bad eyesight or worse. Even with free warscrolls printed at a bigger size, it's still quite a cost in itself in printed material and gaming space so that you have everything available at hand. AoS is already a game that takes a lot of space and money investment, it clearly doesn't help.

Hope you'll keep having fun with the second version.

Thanks! Yes I hope so.

On 10/29/2021 at 12:04 PM, Kasper said:

If you have issues with sight ... I dont really get this whining for the sake of whining though ... your post just makes you come off as a grumpy old man. 

I suppose there's three things to consider:

• To take an action which disadvantages others is not a kind thing to do
  • Is it in the financial interests of a company to exclude or disadvantage a section of it's possible clientele? (yes people with sight-loss or limited motor skills may not be able to paint well, but they may enjoy it none-the-less, and they can probably still play the games)
  • Are there any potential compliance issues? (specifically "reasonable adjustment" under the Equality Act 2010)
On 10/29/2021 at 9:07 AM, Kasper said:

I dont get how this discussion reached 14 pages with the subject "The End of Free Warscrolls" when they have a (currently) free app with all the warscrolls on there for everybody to look at.

Not everyone has a mobile phone or tablet. Not everyone can use a mobile phone or tablet (sight loss, motor skills, etc). For some, a PC is far more disability-friendly device.

• Like 4

On 10/29/2021 at 6:52 PM, Sarouan said:

Because you can still use "for free" meanwhile, it's thus even more convenient right now for that reason. ;)

We also don't know how long this "open beta" phase will last. As far as I'm concerned, it could take months or even maybe years.

Not a solution since we do know the beta will end. Then there's the sub-par user experience and issues with the app (as in battletomes you put the code in disappearing, not showing warscrolls, having to restart/reinstall, updates wiping lists, etc). Sure, it is the beta but the point is it isn't terribly convenient or nice to use and when it does become a solid experience, well, then it goes live.

On 10/29/2021 at 6:52 PM, Sarouan said:

Not sure about the claim they didn't make the app for the players but just for the money, actually. The part about making money is indeed here, but reality is rarely all black and white with human intent - it can actually combine both. It's easy to believe GW as a whole is all evil and calculating in their decisions. But to me, the idea of a specific app gathering all the rules needing to play AoS on a mobile (phone or tablet or laptop, whatever) is pretty much what I'd call a player-friendly tool that is relevant to the new tech tendancies. Doesn't mean all players have to use it as well.

Never forget that behind corporations, there are humans. And they're not all evil managers doing nothing but gather lots of money.

I said more like a sales funnel. There is always a balance, however, in GW's case they've both tried to keep all the good things about the traditional ways of doing things while monetising everything on digital... While making it quite cumbersome to use. Had they developed a seamless experience for the players then it might have been a different story. Going by 40k app I'm not exactly hopeful it will get much better since that also got the "minimum effort, maximum profits"-feel to it.

I also like to think I'm on the side of all the passionate hobbyists and good people at GW since without any outside pressure corporate interest will always prevail. Complacency will only make it worse for the employees and consumers since, much like how we've seen with how they structure releases and price hikes, they won't stop until it starts to hurt their brand or bottom line.

People boycotting GW is getting headlines too, so let's hope this changes things for the better: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boycott-threat-is-a-hammer-blow-to-games-workshop-f976rp0nh I'm putting this one down in the victory column and glad I had a small part in it.

• Like 1