The End of Free Warscrolls

HollowHills

2 hours ago, NinthMusketeer said:

I would personally prefer GW, or anyone, run a free open beta, as that will help them fix problems for the full launch. Having a real hard time seeing how one would logically conclude it is a bad thing. Like, even if the app was going to be free this open beta would be the same.

No you're right. The open beta is a good idea. I think I'm just bitter because I know I'm not going to be getting this particular product if it does end up with half of it locked behind warhammer+ to artificially drive subscriptions.

• Thanks 3

If warscrolls do end up behind the paywall of Warhammer+ I genuinely think that's me out the game.

I'm not willing to pay for a subscription service in order to access the rules which inform and enable my purchases of models. I like reading warscrolls and browsing through them to make decisions about which armies and units I invest in. I've always accepted the high price of models without complaint but I object on principle to being forced into paying a monthly fee for the privilege of knowing what those models do before I buy them.

• Like 11

12 hours ago, Orsino said:

If warscrolls do end up behind the paywall of Warhammer+ I genuinely think that's me out the game.

I'm not willing to pay for a subscription service in order to access the rules which inform and enable my purchases of models. I like reading warscrolls and browsing through them to make decisions about which armies and units I invest in. I've always accepted the high price of models without complaint but I object on principle to being forced into paying a monthly fee for the privilege of knowing what those models do before I buy them.

Surely you can just buy the battletome?

I’ve always viewed the free content that GW provide as a bonus to their product rather than an essential part of the games they create. I guess it’s a question of perspective.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It appears that the links to all warscrolls have now been removed from the store.

Argh! I should have put "download the SCE and Sylvaneth warscrolls while you still can" higher up my to do list!

Do we know yet if new or reboxed models will be coming with a printout of their warscroll?

The old AoS app (still available on play store) seems able to show warscrolls when I'm disconnected from the internet, which suggests they are "in" the app and not accessed online through the app. Hopefully this means as long as I remember not to update it I should still have access to the old scrolls for my CoS's coalition units.

But I'm not gonning to buy a Battletome or subscribe to w+ just to have a new chariot or dragon rider join my army, amazingly cool as those models look.

Edited by EntMan

28 minutes ago, EntMan said:

But I'm not gonning to buy a Battletome or subscribe to w+ just to have a new chariot or dragon rider join my army, amazingly cool as those models look.

The 40k app didn't require a subscription to access your codex rules.  The sub just unlocked the army builder element.  No idea if this is still the format they're taking going forward though.

• Like 1

If you ask me this is a total backwards move for GW, and they should feel bad.  We all knew it was coming, but still the freely available scrolls was a HUGE selling point of AOS.  I hope we see a big backlash over this, they deserve it for this sort of ******.

Edited by wayniac
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

The 40k app didn't require a subscription to access your codex rules.  The sub just unlocked the army builder element.  No idea if this is still the format they're taking going forward though.

It's that they've just taken all the Warscroll downloads off the webstore makes me think they'll not be on the free version of the app.

Edited by EntMan

20 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

not your codex rules, but if you need a single warscroll for an ally/coalition from a different codex, the "40k model" would mean that you have to buy an entire codex to access them :(

4 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

not your codex rules, but if you need a single warscroll for an ally/coalition from a different codex, the "40k model" would mean that you have to buy an entire codex to access them :(

Perhaps (and please don't laugh too loudly) GW could make the app so the code for a Battletome would also unlock warscrolls (but not other faction rules) for coalition units?

3 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Perhaps (and please don't laugh too loudly) GW could make the app so the code for a Battletome would also unlock warscrolls (but not other faction rules) for coalition units?

Everything is still possible at the moment and I want to keep an open mind until we have an official comunication about the availability of warscrolls. That's why I wrote "the 40k model". After all, AoS has had a different approach than 40k for quite a while now, so it's not impossible that this will continue. Of course, I am not optimistic, especially after the removal of old warscrolls' pdf from the website, but the fact is we still don't know.

1 hour ago, NinthMusketeer said:

Well before the community had free warscrolls, and GW was providing free warscrolls on their site.

Now the community has free warscrolls, and GW is not providing free warscrolls on their site.

Those financial gains are so intense they make it look like bloodthirsters skip upper body day.

Yeah, all this shift to W+ has done is make me not want to go to GW for my game rules at all, or use their stores for play. And it's actively made me feel worse about W+. I just subbed to OnePageRules' Patreon for the same price, because I'd rather my money go to a small creator who has a fast update time for a cleaner, more-balanced game and a focus on an open community with free materials than to a massive corporation engaging in classic "lock them into our ecosystem with sunk costs" practices.

Edited by acr0ssth3p0nd
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Archeon Everchosen said:

when i searched for archeon everchosens warscroll i got a GW link to the pdf that used to be on the games workshop website, so the pdf's have not been deleted completely

aos_Archaon_eng.pdf (games-workshop.com)

Nice, hopefully I'll get to download a bunch tonight before GW go to step 2 of the purge and remove the actual and not just the links.

2 hours ago, acr0ssth3p0nd said:

Yeah, all this shift to W+ has done is make me not want to go to GW for my game rules at all, or use their stores for play. And it's actively made me feel worse about W+. I just subbed to OnePageRules' Patreon for the same price, because I'd rather my money go to a small creator who has a fast update time for a cleaner, more-balanced game and a focus on an open community with free materials than to a massive corporation engaging in classic "lock them into our ecosystem with sunk costs" practices.

Definitely looks like a good time to diversify your wargaming portfolio and take a look at some model-agnostic games. I have been meaning to give Vince Venturella's game Reign in Hell a try.

2 hours ago, EntMan said:

Nice, hopefully I'll get to download a bunch tonight before GW go to step 2 of the purge and remove the actual and not just the links.

1d4chan still has lots of warscrolls direct-linked in their summary pages if you search for "1d4chan [aos army name] tactics".

• Like 2

Not putting up new free scrolls for new releases was bad enough, but even I am somewhat surprised to see them take down the old free scrolls too. Talk about a kick in the teeth. 

I would note that in addition to sending feedback to the email address provided earlier, you can also submit a complaint to GW if you want, at: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Complaint-Portal

Edited by yukishiro1