Original lumineth box - decent intro set to the army?

Praecautus

I was randomly in a craft store when I came across the original lumineth white box when they were first released. 

I was wondering if it would be a decent intro the army? And if so what else is worth adding to get to eg 1000 points?

Second, I currently have about 2500 of idoneth. Are there any interesting combos with the two armies?

Edited by Praecautus
Spelling

• Praecautus changed the title to Original lumineth box - decent intro set to the army?
10 hours ago, Praecautus said:

I was randomly in a craft store when I came across the original lumineth white box when they were first released. 

I was wondering if it would be a decent intro the army? And if so what else is worth adding to get to eg 1000 points?

Second, I currently have about 2500 of idoneth. Are there any interesting combos with the two armies?

So all the units in the box are good. Warden are probably our best unit, Eltharion is a great model, awesome in smaller battles and still quite good in larger ones. Dawnriders are also really useful. Normally, you'd go from there to 1,000 by buying a Cathallar (she provides some of our core interactions if you play with Vanari/Scinari), another 10 Warden and 10 Sentinels. That brings you to just under 1,000 points. If you have Endless Spells already you could throw in a Burning Head or something for good measure. 

In your case, you could experiment with using your Namarti bows instead of Sentinels for example. Then you'd have less to buy. 

Generally speaking in terms of LRL, (almost) all units are viable even in competitive play. So what you buy after 1,000 really depends. Most of us play with a core of around 30 Warden and 30 Sentinels (some use 10 more or less of either). And then either add Teclis and one or max two 5/6 W heroes a group of Dawnrider and/or Bladelords. If you play without Teclis then you can add more of all of those. 

Or you can play with one of the Temples, then you buy a group of either Alarith or Hurakan units and mix them together with normally Warden and Sentinels. In case of Alarith maybe instead of Warden with Dawnriders. And you have a version for that with and without Teclis again. You can also just throw in one or two of the Spirits (either Alarith or Hurakan) into a largely Vanari/Scinari-based army. It's really up to what playstyle you like.

In terms of Idoneth - it depends a bit again. The turtle is probably better than any of the LRL monsters right now, so that's definitely a candidate to try out. If you go for a more control-based list (with Hurakan units for example), net sharks should be good too. And you could always try to use Namarti in a LRL list. LRL don't have priests, so that might also work. I haven't seen many tournament lists though which do that, besides at the end of the 2nd Ed, where people were experimenting with Sharks in Hurukan lists.

Returning to the box. The extras are also really nice. The combat gauge and dice etc. I still use the spell and ability cards, although they are incomplete now. Still a lot of the key abilities are there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much. That is a lot to think. I was trying to avoid the whole new edition new army thing, but my other armies have not transitioned well to 3.0. And feel like they currently would struggle to fight their way  out of a wet paper bag.

So knowing it’s an alright start and not a huge investment to 1000 is really tempting.

thansk so mich

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Praecautus said:

Thanks so much. That is a lot to think. I was trying to avoid the whole new edition new army thing, but my other armies have not transitioned well to 3.0. And feel like they currently would struggle to fight their way  out of a wet paper bag.

So knowing it’s an alright start and not a huge investment to 1000 is really tempting.

thansk so mich

Idoneth don't do well in 3.0? That's surprising. They have been good for so long and the updates during Broken Realms also looked strong. But you are right, I don't remember seeing many Idoneth lists in tournaments doing well. Just hadn't really thought about it. What's the problem? 

LRL are fun to play, lots of choices and play styles, but of course they can also always be hit with a nerf bat. Right now, they are doing good, yeah. You see basically all the subsections in tournament rankings, and also different lists (although it looks like in terms of tournaments, the trend is towards Teclis lists again).

• Like 1