Please don't sign up for Warhammer+

I won’t sign up for the single reason that it would be another subscription I’d barely use.

In that regard the amount of content is basically meaningless to me. The quality would be; though. If it had 2 or 3 things I‘d watch or take the time to watch it‘d be no different from netflix or amazon prime for me & hence worth it. 

That point is easily forgotten, so I thought I‘d mention it. For people who are time constraint, quality trumps quantity.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, yukishiro1 said:

There's almost no content at launch, to a degree where I really wonder what they are thinking.

They're hinging on the Vindicare/Warboss selling it for them. Almost all the talk about W+ I saw prior to the model reveals was negative, but offering a sizeable model for £50/70 convinced A LOT of people, particularly the Vindicare statue. 

By the time they inevitably double or triple the cost of a subscription - probably within a year if not less - people will have gotten used to using it, be that for the shows or app and justify the sunk cost that way.

• Thanks 1

I'm personally out on this and haven't bought a single model from GW since they implied they were killing PDFs / online books for AoS 3.0. Waiting to see for sure with the two new books, but I'm not going to give money to a company going backwards on environmental issues and murdering trees in size over misguided and incompetent IP policy in 2021.

If GW can't be bothered to release a PDF and save some trees, I'm not going to be bothered to give them money.

• Thanks 5
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Clan's Cynic said:

They're hinging on the Vindicare/Warboss selling it for them. Almost all the talk about W+ I saw prior to the model reveals was negative, but offering a sizeable model for £50/70 convinced A LOT of people, particularly the Vindicare statue. 

By the time they inevitably double or triple the cost of a subscription - probably within a year if not less - people will have gotten used to using it, be that for the shows or app and justify the sunk cost that way.

If you’re just in it for the minis you should obviously just buy the yearly.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Reinholt said:

If GW can't be bothered to release a PDF and save some trees, I'm not going to be bothered to give them money.

They do release digital army books. Just not for free.

https://www.games-workshop.com/fr-BE/Codex-Adeptus-Custodes-ipad-2018

And honestly, if you think that saves some trees, you should better look on the paper industry and how they recycle books already.

I do believe your concern has nothing to do with trees, though. More about you being angry GW doesn't release all rules of their games for free.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

And honestly, if you think that saves some trees, you should better look on the paper industry and how they recycle books already.

I do believe your concern has nothing to do with trees, though. More about you being angry GW doesn't release all rules of their games for free.

what·a·bout·ism
/ˌ(h)wədəˈboudizəm/

noun
BRITISH
  1. the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counteraccusation or raising a different issue.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

Its logical sicce they already butchered abilities from assembly inscructions. There are only stats block now. 

So based on nothing so far but assumptions they'll do it.

Moving on.

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Red King said:
what·a·bout·ism
/ˌ(h)wədəˈboudizəm/

noun
BRITISH
  1. the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counteraccusation or raising a different issue.

It's not a difficult question, since it's based on nothing in the end. And I actually answered to the accusation here.

Funnily, it's your answer that can be seen as a deflection from my own post statuing GW does release digital books and thus completely undoing that "I do that to save the trees" argument. ;)

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I actually sit somewhere between HollowHills and Overread.  I think it's natural for us to compare subscription services, however Warhammer+ isn't purely a streaming service so to compare it to other streaming services isn't a like for like comparison.  In truth we're better off comparing Warhammer+ to other hobby subscriptions like Duncan Rhodes' Painting Academy, or the plethora of content creators on Patreon - although that's still not a like for like comparison.

I disagree. We should compare it to a subscription like Netflix, since, to be honest, everything apart from the Animations should be free anyways. They basically make us pay for their advertisements 🥲

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

So based on nothing so far but assumptions they'll do it.

Moving on.

This isn't something they would ever officially announce, but you can infer it from their actions.

They would face intense blowback if they officially stated "Hey guys we arent offering free rules any more even though we offered them for free for the last 5 years and it was one of the big selling points on AOS after revamping WHFB"

Instead of making an official statement they will just do whatever they want to do behind the scenes. This creates a situation ambiguous enough that they will have internet midwits defend their terrible business practices because they can't make logical inferences from observable actions and can only form opinions from sanitized corporate press releases

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I disagree. We should compare it to a subscription like Netflix, since, to be honest, everything apart from the Animations should be free anyways. They basically make us pay for their advertisements 🥲

Sure, sure. And Duncan should release all of his painting tutorials videos for free since he's just making us pay for advertising paint sellers, or Miniwargaming because they're just advertising GW products and other miniature game companies in the end. 😂

7 minutes ago, PJetski said:

This isn't something they would ever officially announce, but you can infer it from their actions.

Or you can just wait for the 3.0 battletomes to actually come with the new units, and see on their website if they do indeed remove all the warscrolls / don't update them / don't show the new ones.

Your call, but mine is more minding about facts, not assumptions and trying to present them as "facts" in former implying posts.

Edited by Sarouan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JustAsPlanned said:

Yeah what angers me is the axing of any and all pdfs and free warscrolls. It’s just unnecessary. Wax poetic all you like about how “oh they’re a company and their goal is to make money”, it’s still a stupid and frustrating thing for them to do.

The hilarious part is that I would be happy to pay them the same price for a PDF that I pay for the physical book, and the production cost of the marginal PDF is lower... but they refuse to take my money.

This is the opposite of for-profit behavior. Is GW an anti-profit company?

Also to the person linking the 2018 Custodes book... can you link me to a GW produced PDF, complete with background, rules, etc. and everything in the print version, of the current Necron or Space Marine codices? Just asking. Thanks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sarouan said:

GW stopped doing digital books for 40K with 9th edition. Instead, the physical book comes with a code that unlocks the rules content within the app (note: rules content only, not the lore). As there is no digital Core Rulebook (the full one including the Path To Glory rules) or GHB21, and they’ve said they’re doing the whole code thing with battletomes, it’s safe to assume that gw are no longer doing digital books for 40K or AoS.

additionally, some other recent rulebooks were not released in digital despite the prior ones, for example Warcry:
Agents Of Chaos, Sentinels Of Order, Harbingers Of Destruction, Bringers Of Death, Catacombs and Tome Of Champions 2020 do not have digital releases despite all prior Warcry books being available 

Edited by Joseph Mackay
  • Like 2

Just now, The Golem said:

I have a question for those who actually suscribed to Warhammer+: are subtitles (for deaf/hearing impaired) available in the videos?

Had a look here and the animations have them in various languages, but I don't see them on the battle reports or Masterclass.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Or you can just wait for the 3.0 battletomes to actually come with the new units, and see on their website if they do indeed remove all the warscrolls / don't update them / don't show the new ones.

Your call, but mine is more minding about facts, not assumptions and trying to present them as "facts" in former implying posts.

Fact: They are never updating the old AOS app

Fact: They are locking all warscrolls moving forward behind the new app

Fact: The old app was free, the new one is not

Fact: Reboxed units do not have warscrolls, only the weapon profiles and a stat block (just like in 40k)

Fact: None of the warscrolls from Dominion are posted on the GW webstore. This is the first AOS product ever released that does not have a warscroll download available. This is consistent across all products with these models, such as the starter sets and paint bundle kits.

Fact: There has been no official statement confirming they will carry on their previous business practices.

Fact: There is zero evidence suggesting they will ever release free warscrolls or matched play rules again. All evidence points to the contrary.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PJetski said:

There is zero evidence suggesting they will ever release free warscrolls or matched play rules again. All evidence points to the contrary.

While I do agree that the future of free warscrolls is looking dim, we should also remember that they released all of the core rules for free, and they seem to be keeping Warscroll Builder up too. That doesn't mean Warscrolls will be free, but they have released some free content recently. 

As for no downloadable rules with Dominion - it could be because they're stopping free warscrolls, or it could be because those warscrolls are subject to change and they want to stop confusion.

Regardless, I think we'll know either way when the new battletomes come out.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Fact: They are never updating the old AOS app

Fact: They are locking all warscrolls moving forward behind the new app

Fact: The old app was free, the new one is not

Fact: Reboxed units do not have warscrolls, only the weapon profiles and a stat block (just like in 40k)

Fact: None of the warscrolls from Dominion are posted on the GW webstore. This is the first AOS product ever released that does not have a warscroll download available. This is consistent across all products with these models, such as the starter sets and paint bundle kits.

Fact: There has been no official statement confirming they will carry on their previous business practices.

Fact: There is zero evidence suggesting they will ever release free warscrolls or matched play rules again. All evidence points to the contrary.

Fact : all the current warscrolls are still available on their website for all the previous miniatures.

As far as I'm concerned, that's only what matters. We'll only be really fixed once 3.0 battletomes come with the new miniatures.

I never used the app before, anyway.

Besides, they just released Dominion Warcry profiles for free on their Warhammer Community Website, with a campaign as well, so I'm not leaning to the grimmest case so far.

Edited by Sarouan

44 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Sure, sure. And Duncan should release all of his painting tutorials videos for free since he's just making us pay for advertising paint sellers, or Miniwargaming because they're just advertising GW products and other miniature game companies in the end. 😂

GW is promoting their product with the battle reports. The others are offering quality content. That‘s my opinion and the obvious difference I see.

• Confused 1

On 8/24/2021 at 8:40 AM, HollowHills said:

I am strongly encouraging my fellow AoS hobbyists to avoid signing up to WH+

Reasons

1) There is little to no AoS content at launch. 

2) We have no idea when the AoS app will launch or the state it will be in.

3) We have no idea how often new content will be added.

4) There is no harm in waiting.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY...

5) Put pressure on GW

Thank you for sharing your opinion.  It's good people have the ability to share it on a public forum.  

However,.. GW produces for things that sell.  If you want AoS content, pay for AoS content when it's provided (such as short stories or novels about your favourite army.  

Disney+ was pretty abysmal on launch, it is pretty great now.  I wonder what Netflix was like when it first came out.  My guess is,.. bad.  Your opinion feels like,.. a personal reflection of feeling dismissed by GW.  

If people leave Warhammer+ over time GW will pay attention then.

I watched that first old Bale eye and was pleasantly impressed by it.  

44 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

GW have you lost your mind? Polish prices for Warhammer+ are bigger than in GBP or USD? Are you aware that polish revenues are like 30% of GB's? No way I'm signing for that.

This is ridiculous. 😄

Higher price AND no animations. 😄

Screenshot_2021-08-25-18-19-12-781_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by Aeryenn