Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

I don't know if you have Gargants in your local meta but I benchmark against killing a buffed / unbuffed mega (4+ vs 3+/5++). Your toolset looks good my only concern would be that you have to hit them piecemeal a little bit which means they get to activate more in between before you can kill one.  For that reason I keep my Paladins in a unit of 10. In an Unleash round they can almost take a 4+ save mega down in one attack sequence, so if it has taken a little damage already you are golden. I definitely wouldn't take Castigators over Annihilators myself on almost any occasion, but YMMV.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Xeperi said:

I don't know if you have Gargants in your local meta but I benchmark against killing a buffed / unbuffed mega (4+ vs 3+/5++). Your toolset looks good my only concern would be that you have to hit them piecemeal a little bit which means they get to activate more in between before you can kill one.  For that reason I keep my Paladins in a unit of 10. In an Unleash round they can almost take a 4+ save mega down in one attack sequence, so if it has taken a little damage already you are golden. I definitely wouldn't take Castigators over Annihilators myself on almost any occasion, but YMMV.

1 person plays SoB sometimes here. The knights Excelsior ability only activates if target has more models, would that factor into 2x5 vs 1x10? Protectors or Retributors?

I played two 2k point games today with the anvils stormhost ability against ogors and deepkin. The ability never went off against the ogors as he was running all stonehorns which are really high leadership, but it almost always went off against the deepkin. It saved me from a few clutch wounds on my stardrake and vindictors but honestly I'm not sure if just having the hammer's 6+ ward would have been better. overall it's a pretty lackluster ability, but at least it's unique.

any opinions on what's the better stormhost at this point? I'm pretty sure it's hammers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lengthster said:

1 person plays SoB sometimes here. The knights Excelsior ability only activates if target has more models, would that factor into 2x5 vs 1x10? Protectors or Retributors?

Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's a nice bonus if it comes up but Paladins will already blend a lot of hordes so building around getting +1/+1 when outnumbered isn't a concern for me, it's taking down the proliferating big monsters/skyships/etc. The big unit gets the full benefit of Unleash Hatred, All Out Attack, or any other buff available at the time, where the small unit is less buff and Translocate efficient.

5 minutes ago, Champasaur said:

Question for the masses: Since the Holy Commands are enhancements, could we take more than one with the Warlord/Command Entourage battalions?

I can't imagine why not. Magnificent just reads, "...you can pick 1 extra enhancement." Section 27.3 mentions army-specific ("unique") enhancements and doesn't suggest they should be treated differently at all.

• Like 2

Thinking about trying this for a Dragons List;

Allegiance Ability: Watchful Guardians
Stormkeep: Either Tempest Lords or Anvils of Heldenhammer

Holy Command: Probably Call for Aid. Thinking about Steadfast March

General:
Knight Draconis - 255 
-Command Trait: Master of the Celestial Menagerie
-Artifact: Drakescale Armour
-Mount Trait: Celesital Instincts

Krondys, Son of Dracothian: 600
-Spell: Starfall

Lord Relictor - 145
-Prayer: Translocation (Might take Divine Light as an additional enhancement on him instead of an artifact)

2x5 Vindictors - 260

1x5 Sequitors - 145
-3 Grandhammers

1x2 Stormdrake Guard - 285 (Their cost in twos has to be a mistake. Only 5 points more than Dracolines?)
-2x Lances

1x1 Stormdrake Guard - 145
-1x Lance

1x Stormstrike Chariot - 165
-1x Lance

Total Points: 2000
Total Wounds: 104

Idea would be to lean on just enough bodies to play some objectives while having fun with a ****** number of flying monsters. The Sequitors and Chariot would just be another pair of Drakes, but they have to be getting a points hike right?

Edited by Sleepa

26 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I‘ve just realized that the Grandhammer Annihalators cost 40pts more than the shield ones? What!? That‘s an expensive +1 dmg,+1 to wound, +1 rend and -1 armor o.O 

Yes, the point values are weird in this tome.

But consider the Annihilator's role. They're much better suited to do that job. They just wanna drop in, and do as much damage as possible. If they weren't that different in point values, there wouldn't be much reason to take the shield Annihilators.

Edit: Also the maths basically amounts to them doing double damage. Also the 2" reach makes it viable to run them as a block of 6 if you wanted.

Edited by Lengthster

1 minute ago, Lengthster said:

But consider the Annihilator's role. They're much better suited to do that job. They just wanna drop in, and do as much damage as possible. If they weren't that different in point values, there wouldn't be much reason to take the shield Annihilators.

Also, the shield annihilators are almost a completely separate role, in my opinion. With shields they're largely a harassment and disruption unit, meant to slam down, do enough damage to weaken a key target, and then remain a hard-to-shift nuisance in your opponent's lines. Being that they cost so much less you can afford to potentially run a couple units to scare your opponent into spreading thin to zone your drop radius out while the rest of your list capitalizes on concentrating force. The two-hander version is more of a scalpel, meant to trade with high-value lynchpin pieces in your opponent's backline and are too costly to serve as anything more than that.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Sleepa said:

Thinking about trying this for a Dragons List;

Hmm. Do people not think running a second holy command is as good as running a second artefact? Without having played games testing both it seems hard for me to accurately judge. But running Call for Aid and Thunderbolt volley seems very good with the correct unit combos. Or bring in paladins and Unleash Thy Hatred.

3 hours ago, stus67 said:

I played two 2k point games today with the anvils stormhost ability against ogors and deepkin. The ability never went off against the ogors as he was running all stonehorns which are really high leadership, but it almost always went off against the deepkin. It saved me from a few clutch wounds on my stardrake and vindictors but honestly I'm not sure if just having the hammer's 6+ ward would have been better. overall it's a pretty lackluster ability, but at least it's unique.

any opinions on what's the better stormhost at this point? I'm pretty sure it's hammers.

Hammers is very hard to pass up. 12” range covers most of the board, and even if it doesn’t it you want to be on/near objectives most of the time anyway. It also couples very nicely with high saves (*cough* vindictors, dragons) and in stormkeeps, where your redeemers are tanky and x3 scoring.

Last night I was looking strongly at Hallowed Knights for Gardus, but now I’m thinking:

Knight Draconis

lord Relictor 

bastian 

3x2 Stormdrake

1 Stormdrake

10x Vindictors

10 minutes ago, Champasaur said:

Do you think a list needs a spellcaster of some sort? I know spells are tough to get off unless you have an S tier caster right now, but I feel so guilty not running one 🥺

Not really no. Obviously mystic shield is nice but like you said unless you can get a super wizard with bonuses to cast you’re going to fail or get shut down a lot.

The Knight Judicator could indeed be a Knight Incantor. 

Not sure what to do with my collection, as I have:

2x Celestant on Dracoth 

2x Lord Relictor

1x Knight Heraldor

1x 6 Prosecutor with Javelin

1x 6 Prosecutor with Hammers

2x 5 Liberator

5 dudes with Javelin/Spear and no shields (1st Edi conversion, used them Judicators)

1x 5 Protectors

1x 5 Retributors

Enough models and bits to build some more units, like another 5 Javelin-Judicators, Liberators, Vindicators, Heroes or Annihilators (with Shields)

For now looks like I have too much of everything for a single list but I am not in the mood to buy a new army for now

1 hour ago, Kodos der Henker said:

Enough models and bits to build some more units, like another 5 Javelin-Judicators, Liberators, Vindicators, Heroes or Annihilators (with Shields)

Could go Tempest Lords to make all those Prosecutors battleline with some Reinforced Liberators/Vindictors for objectives and then focus on Paladins and Judicators for hitting power.

Could be fun just to test it out.

5 hours ago, Cambot1231 said:

Is the Errant-Questor retired in the new battletome? If not Can he be taken in a tournament list?

I don't think any Stormcast tome actually had them in it. They're kinda loners both in lore and meta since even the app doesn't have any errant character warscrolls.

Just gotta use the Warscroll Builder for points and ask your locals if it's okay or if you should proxy it for someone like Gavriel Sureheart (and gonna be real, I think people are dumping on him too hard. He got a lot of nice stat buffs, can stall a mortal wound machine, still bounces back damage and help himself and other hammers charge better even though it's not as potent as before).

5 hours ago, stus67 said:

Yeah, pretty sure Stormkeep Hammers are gonna be the main Stormcast armies seen everywhere for now.

But hey bonus points on lore immersion with the golden bois crusading in every Realm to push civilization and set up their stylish Stormkeeps to come flying out of. 😎 

warhammer+age+of+sigmar+sylvaneth+artwor

Ride the Lightning!

Edited by Baron Klatz

17 minutes ago, Charleston said:

I just noticed that 2 of 3 SCE Start Collecting Boxes are gone. Also I wonder a bit why hunters are Angelos and not Redeemer as they fill the "Basic troop" trope for Vanguard Chambers. 

Because they aren't redeemers in the fluff!

From a design POV, I would have made Vindictors not redeemer; that would have brought the different options for battleline closer together.

• Thanks 1