Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

My first day looking trough the book for combo's i find myself struggling. Ive waited soo long for this book hoping for some models i love to to see rule changed.. Im looking at knight venator, prosecutors for example only to find them yet again not reworked enough to make them valid. Knight venator putting next to a knight judicator is just painfull. I was hoping for a better rework of the stormhosts to give me atleast acces to reroll casts or extra spells. Right now everything feels a bit bland. A bit boring with soo much missed potential. 

( yes ill understand gw wants us to buy thunderstrike) And yes if you go dragons im happy for you.

8 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Im looking at this on another way

from your winners list
-ordinator didnt get anything special but keeps his + 1 to hit. Not really an improvement.

-tauralon lost 1 spellcast and no + to cast or anything to boost casting besides stardrake. Its really really sad
-judicators. Im sure bowjuds are better but looking at my 15 xbow juds im not sure they come out as winners. Getting less attacks that hit better and lost the d3 mortals is huge in an armour meta. But more range and slightly better profile. While also losing rr1 against chaos. Hard to justify that extra cost. Also hard to find good synergie. Might be Azyros but then the points are just oo heavy that raptors are more solid. ( battleline is all fine but with sce being this expensive and still low damage output im not sure they are winners.
-starsoul maces are nerfed aswell. 

The list of winners is really small for al the non thunderstrike stuff. Im writing lists al morning for some oldcast stuff but damn im missing points, synergies. This book offers no way to go slightly offensive with wizards. 

The reason you take the Tauralon is because he is a fast flying monster with good defensive stats and a strong +1 hit ability. For 285 points and an amulet of destiny that's a really good utility piece.

Azyros total garbage now. 

Starsoul maces are better now. Much better. They have an Attacks characteristic which means you can use buffs that boost attacks on them. 10x Protectors with the holy command is 4 Starsouls is 8 attacks that do d3 mw on a 2+ and 37 glaive attacks.

LRelictor can do a 2+ rerollable translocation to get those Protectors stuck in on the first turn immediately, since you can move after using Translocation.

In Knights Excelsior you can double reinforce the Protectors to get 2 more Starsouls (4 attacks with order) and 18 more Glaive attacks. Then your opponent has to deal with 45 wounds on a 2+ save. Amazing!

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PJetski said:

The reason you take the Tauralon is because he is a fast flying monster with good defensive stats and a strong +1 hit ability. For 285 points and an amulet of destiny that's a really good utility piece.

Azyros total garbage now. 

Starsoul maces are better now. Much better. They have an Attacks characteristic which means you can use buffs that boost attacks on them. 10x Protectors with the holy command is 4 Starsouls is 8 attacks that do d3 mw on a 2+ and 37 glaive attacks.

LRelictor can do a 2+ rerollable translocation to get those Protectors stuck in on the first turn immediately, since you can move after using Translocation.

In Knights Excelsior you can double reinforce the Protectors to get 2 more Starsouls (4 attacks with order) and 18 more Glaive attacks. Then your opponent has to deal with 45 wounds on a 2+ save. Amazing!

starsoul mace.... still do not use attack sequince for an attack made with a starsoul mace. Instead roll a dice.. So no way to buff this and they lost that on a roll of 6+1

Yeah improved armour is nice. But pointbump is really agressive

1 minute ago, Juicy said:

starsoul mace.... still do not use attack sequince for an attack made with a starsoul mace. Instead roll a dice.. So no way to buff this and they lost that on a roll of 6+1

Yeah improved armour is nice. But pointbump is really agressive

You can buff the number of attacks on a Starsoul Mace now. You couldn't before.

2 minutes ago, PJetski said:

It has an Attacks characteristic.

There is a command ability to boost the Attacks of a PALADIN unit.

i might be wrong, but starsoul maces dont use a attack sequince means you cannot boost it.. in 2.0 we couldnt even make it reroll 1. Because of it. Not seing this as a change since the text stays the same. Even tho the profile in located in attack characteristics.. Would be nice tho;)

8 minutes ago, Juicy said:

i might be wrong, but starsoul maces dont use a attack sequince means you cannot boost it.. in 2.0 we couldnt even make it reroll 1. Because of it. Not seing this as a change since the text stays the same. Even tho the profile in located in attack characteristics.. Would be nice tho;)

They don't use the Attacks sequence (hit, wound, save, etc.) but they still have an Attacks characteristic. You Attack twice with a weapon that has 2 attacks.

• Like 1

Well, in the bigger picture i am happy with the battletome, sure some units are useless but at 76 warscrolls i didnt expect every unit to be viable in competive play.

Dragon Army looks really strong. 

What is our best shooting unit now?

15 Judicators for 600p? 570p? Doubletapped they should delete most threats. Noticed that the skyboltbow doesn't do mortals on 6s, only the regulars. 

6 Raptors for 480? Still strong but 12 w seems squishy.

Castigators still just some point filling unit.

Vigilors, not convinced by this hybrid unit.

Ballistas with Lord Ordinator, less dmg than judis and raptors but more resilent.

On the melee sight, paladins could be viable. Protectors really cool as @PJetski mentioned. Still wondering if they will faq teleport prayer. 

3 minutes ago, boombyeyeah said:

Well, in the bigger picture i am happy with the battletome, sure some units are useless but at 76 warscrolls i didnt expect every unit to be viable in competive play.

Dragon Army looks really strong. 

What is our best shooting unit now?

15 Judicators for 600p? 570p? Doubletapped they should delete most threats. Noticed that the skyboltbow doesn't do mortals on 6s, only the regulars. 

6 Raptors for 480? Still strong but 12 w seems squishy.

Castigators still just some point filling unit.

Vigilors, not convinced by this hybrid unit.

Ballistas with Lord Ordinator, less dmg than judis and raptors but more resilent.

On the melee sight, paladins could be viable. Protectors really cool as @PJetski mentioned. Still wondering if they will faq teleport prayer. 

Moving after Translocation is here to stay, get used to being the best teleporting army in the game again

Too soo to say which are the Best Units but the obvious standouts are what I listed in my Winners post earlier

Interestingly the Tauralon buffs CITIES OF SIGMAR units as well as STORMCAST ETERNALS so you can get a lot of value out of buffing a big shooting castle.

Edited by PJetski

I'm a cities player but I just so happen to have 6 dracothian guard (2 fulminators/4 unbuilt) so I'm probably well on my way to having a dragon heavy stormkeep army with the 1 in 4 cities units to fill in gaps. 

What changed with them? The video I saw mentioned fulminators coming in units of 1 but not being battel line?

16 minutes ago, The Red King said:

What changed with them? The video I saw mentioned fulminators coming in units of 1 but not being battel line?

They come in both the regular 2 which is battleline in hammers, but also 1, same for the new Stormdrake Guards. The single model unit is limited to 1 per hero, either celestant on dracoth or knight Draconis. This is purely so there is an option to use the entire kit, as these heroes are built from a 2 model kit, so GW decided to make some kind of use for that leftover model.

Fulminators will be good, they got 5 attacks with rend 2 dmg 1, and have dmg 3 on the charge! A unit of 2 than get 10 attacks with rend 2 dmg 3, and 6 attacks with rend 2 dmg 2, scary for 220 points!

• Like 3

I haven't done any point fiddling yet (squinting at my phone to read changes all morning), but overall I feel happy with the book. Shooting builds seem overall pretty good, got pricier and we lost Aetherwings (RIP), but we gained some solid shooting power (MWs on Judis, all XBows explode, etc) and a MSU shooty build could be back on the menu depending on points. Anvilstrike is basically all but dead - Hero Phase shooting doesn't require Anvils anymore, but without Aetherwings keeping us safe, it's much harder to prevent charges. I guess you could Ally or Stormkeep in some cheap Cities units or Skinks?

Vanguard Chamber getting teleports across the board except Raptors doesn't do a whole lot to make up for their overall low damage, but it is a pretty interesting way to play the game. Imagine trying to pin down a full Vanguard list, seems basically impossible.

Paladins seem pretty solid. I could see some sort of slow push Stormkeep build with lots of Redeemers + Protectors backed up by buffing Heroes. Maybe worth a look.

But most importantly: DRAGONS! Stardrake looks baller now. Excellent Monster build Command Trait. Dracothian Guard look good. The new Stormdrakes feel insanely good, probably will end up picking up 3 boxes for my non-Hammers full Dragon build. The new big boys are certainly solid, but 600 is a pretty tough sell. Even the Celestant on Dracoth seems not terrible. Good time to be a dragon fan.

I'm currently quite optimistic, will try to make some lists today.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, schwabbele said:

Just realized the Knight Judi and Chariot are also push fit kits. Isn't push fit usually only for big box stuff?

They've had a couple of push-fit tie-in products to new edition releases (Primaris, Death Guard, Necrons, Nighthaunt, Stormcast, etc). When the new Necrons and Space Marines books went up last year, they were also accompanied by similar push-fit releases (Doomstalker and Heavy Lokhust Destroyer / Invader ATV and the Firestrike Servo-turret).

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

Brak opisu.

15 double tap Judicators do enough damage to kill most big monsters in the game in a single turn, even a 2+/5+ ward 16 wound monster. They are nuts.

Ballistae are good. Makes me want to try that WAR MACHINE list I made in Broken Realms

Vigilors are underwhelming.