Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

I wanted to share with you the evolution of my army list.
I started with this one : 
Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
 - Stormhost: Knights Excelsior
 - Mortal Realm: Ghur
 - Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
 - Triumphs: Inspired

LEADERS
Lord-Relictor (145)*
- General
- Command Trait: High Priest
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
- Prayer: Translocation
Lord-Imperatant (175)*
Knight-Incantor (125)*
- Spell: Celestial Blades

UNITS
5 x Vindictors (130)**
5 x Vindictors (130)**
6 x Annihilators with Meteoric Grandhammers (480)**
1 x Stormstrike Chariot (165)**
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (480)*

CORE BATTALIONS
*Warlord
**Redemption Brotherhood

ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS
Holy Command: Thunderbolt Volley
Holy Command: Unleash Thy Hatred

I was very happy to play the chariot and smash everything with the annihilator. The dice rolls are part of the beauty of the game and unfortunately during 2 games I missed my charge at 7 rerollable with the annihilators.
I decided to go for something more stable and switch from scions to stormkeep. So I tested this new one : 

- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
 - Triumphs:
LEADERS
Knight-Incantor (125)
Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)
Lord-Relictor (145)
- General
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny
UNITS
4 x Dracothian Guard Fulminators (460)
5 x Liberators (115)
- Heavens-wrought Weapon and Shield
5 x Vindictors (130)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (480)
1 x Stormstrike Chariot (165)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Redemption Brotherhood
**Warlord
ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS
Holy Command: Call for Aid

I preferred playing fulminators to annihilators. They brought more stability and map control with their good movement. 
The arrival of Call of Aid also allows for desperate action with vindictors to clean up/block an enemy that will destroy them before putting them back on the field. 
Only the knight judicator didn't totally convince me because to have a real impact on a turn I think he must be assisted by a second or third. Not being a fan of spam and wanting to make my list more competitive for a tournament, I give you this version:

- Triumphs:
LEADERS
Lord-Relictor (145)
- General
Aventis Firestrike Magister of Hammerhal (325)
UNITS
5 x Vindictors (130)
5 x Vindictors (130)
1 x Stormdrake Guard - Single (170)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Redemption Brotherhood
**Warlord
ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS

I exchange the judicator and incantor for aventis and the chariots for two solo dragons. 
3 more monsters in the list without breaking his spirit. What do you think about it ?

48 minutes ago, Mad Stalin said:

I wanted to share with you the evolution of my army list.
I started with this one : 

LEADERS
Lord-Relictor (145)*
- General
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
Lord-Imperatant (175)*
Knight-Incantor (125)*
- Spell: Celestial Blades

UNITS
5 x Vindictors (130)**
5 x Vindictors (130)**
6 x Annihilators with Meteoric Grandhammers (480)**

CORE BATTALIONS
*Warlord
**Redemption Brotherhood

ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS
Holy Command: Unleash Thy Hatred

I was very happy to play the chariot and smash everything with the annihilator. The dice rolls are part of the beauty of the game and unfortunately during 2 games I missed my charge at 7 rerollable with the annihilators.
I decided to go for something more stable and switch from scions to stormkeep. So I tested this new one : 

- Triumphs:
LEADERS
Knight-Incantor (125)
Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)
Lord-Relictor (145)
- General
UNITS
5 x Liberators (115)
5 x Vindictors (130)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Redemption Brotherhood
**Warlord
ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS

I preferred playing fulminators to annihilators. They brought more stability and map control with their good movement. 
The arrival of Call of Aid also allows for desperate action with vindictors to clean up/block an enemy that will destroy them before putting them back on the field. 
Only the knight judicator didn't totally convince me because to have a real impact on a turn I think he must be assisted by a second or third. Not being a fan of spam and wanting to make my list more competitive for a tournament, I give you this version:

- Triumphs:
LEADERS
Lord-Relictor (145)
- General
Aventis Firestrike Magister of Hammerhal (325)
UNITS
5 x Vindictors (130)
5 x Vindictors (130)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Redemption Brotherhood
**Warlord
ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS

I exchange the judicator and incantor for aventis and the chariots for two solo dragons. 
3 more monsters in the list without breaking his spirit. What do you think about it ?

You can only take a Single Stormdrake Guard Unit for each Knight Draconis. So you have to take a Unit of two.

3 hours ago, readercolin said:

So if you want to run this as the core of your list, you can.  However, you are currently lacking 3 things.

1. Objective Holders.  You need something to sit on the ground and hold objectives for you, which is where something like squads of liberators, or maybe judicators come in.

2. Screen clearing.  Annihilators can do boatloads of damage if they get in.  However, if they get in and hit some chaff... they then don't have the mobility to move on and hit what needs their hammers.  Note, you also have issues with Unleash Hell shooting units that can punch through and kill an annihilator or two.

3. Mobility.  Once the annihilators come down, they are stuck there for the rest of the game.

Finally, you are restricted to only bring 1 squad of annihilators down at 7" per turn, and anything in the skies after turn 3 is dead.  This means that having 3 squads is forcing you to drop a squad per turn, or drop a squad at 9" instead of 7".  This doesn't mean you can't do that, but it does mean that you might want to consider merging 2 of those squads into a single squad of 6.  Or maybe even get another 3 annihilators and run 2 squads of 6.

As for the rest of the army, the first thing that comes to mind is a mixture of objective control and screen clearing.  This can be a squad of vanguard raptors with longstrikes, though that is going to keep your army very fragile.  Or, you can run squads of Judicators with Skybolt Bows.  Alternatively, you can run vanguard raptors + liberators to have separate mixes for clearing and for objective holding.  Finally, the easiest answer for mobility is a Lord-Relictor with Translocate.

This would put the final army like this:

Lord-Imperatant (175)
Lord-Relictor (145)
Knight-Incantor (125)
3 x Annihilators with Meteoric Grandhammers (240)
5 x Liberators (115)
5 x Liberators (115)
5 x Liberators (115)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (480)
- Reinforced x 1

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 87
Drops: 10

This list I would maintain the high drops, grab a hunters battalion for the annihilators, and stick the hero's and raptors into a warlord battalion so you can get an extra enhancement (either extra artefact, or take thunderbolt volley and unleash thy hatred).

Or, if you want a more condensed list that can fit easily into a one drop:

Lord-Imperatant (175)
Lord-Relictor (145)
6 x Annihilators with Meteoric Grandhammers (480)
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
15 x Judicators with Skybolt Bows (600)
- Reinforced x 2
5 x Liberators (115)

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Wounds: 89
Drops: 6

As mentioned, this can easily fit into a battle regiment, and the reinforced grandhammers can punch through even a megagargant in a turn.  You would have to choose between unleash thy hatred and thunderbolt volley though.  An alternative for this is breaking up the judicators into smaller units that can sit on objectives better, and maybe getting a knight-incantor in the mix for the auto-unbind.  Doing that though would mean that thunderbolt volley looks a lot worse, and unleash thy hatred is probably the best as a holy command.

Note here that both cases basically boils down to grabbing a shooting unit and a relictor.  If you would rather run tempestors rather than judicators/vanguard raptors - go for it.  Castigators?  Sure, why not.  Crossbow judicators?  Go for it.  Ballista's... I supposed they work.  As for non-shooting, liberators are nice because they are cheap, but if you want to run vindictors, you can do that.  But you just need something that can sit on objectives while your annihilators go on the offense.

Woah! Thats great! I like the idea of shoOting units, I NeeD To CHecK TheM.

ThanK U AGaiN PaL

• Confused 1

I am considering this list for more "competitive" games at the local club. This is limited by the models I actually have.

Battle regiment Anvils of the Heldenhammer Hold The line Thunderbolt Volley

Lord-Relictor General High Priest Translocation (Mirrorshield if Yndrasta is in the list)

Knight-Incantor Thundershock

Knight-Draconis Amulet of Destiny Celestial Instincts (Yndrasta as an alternative for him)

3x5 Liberators with hammer and shields and one grand hammer

1x10 Judicators with bows (crossbows if Yndrasta is in the list prime has one of two big crossbows)

1x4 Stormdrake Guard with swords

Given that Amulet of Destiny is now 6+ ward what of the two variants of the list would you say is better for "competitive" play. I am not going to tournaments just want to have an option if one of my friends wants to try something with more bite.

Thanks in advance

Edited by frenk_castle

45 minutes ago, frenk_castle said:

I am considering this list for more "competitive" games at the local club. This is limited by the models I actually have.

Battle regiment Anvils of the Heldenhammer Hold The line Thunderbolt Volley

Lord-Relictor General High Priest Translocation (Mirrorshield if Yndrasta is in the list)

Knight-Incantor Thundershock

Knight-Draconis Amulet of Destiny Celestial Instincts (Yndrasta as an alternative for him)

3x5 Liberators with hammer and shields and one grand hammer

1x10 Judicators with bows (crossbows if Yndrasta is in the list prime has one of two big crossbows)

1x4 Stormdrake Guard with swords

Given that Amulet of Destiny is now 6+ ward what of the two variants of the list would you say is better for "competitive" play. I am not going to tournaments just want to have an option if one of my friends wants to try something with more bite.

Thanks in advance

Looks pretty solid, but some comments: Anvils is not a good stormhost. Hammers of Sigmar or Celestial Vindicators or Tempest Lords would be better. I would pick Celestial Blades over Thundershock. I would go with Draconis.

10 minutes ago, feadair said:

Looks pretty solid, but some comments: Anvils is not a good stormhost. Hammers of Sigmar or Celestial Vindicators or Tempest Lords would be better. I would pick Celestial Blades over Thundershock. I would go with Draconis.

Celestial Blades is a good advice. As for stormhosts I picked Anvils based on the lore and they are all painted like that. I am aware rules wise they are the worst stormhost but I will keep it.

Liberators_001.jpeg

Lord_Relictor_001.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, readercolin said:

So if you want to run this as the core of your list, you can.  However, you are currently lacking 3 things.

1. Objective Holders.  You need something to sit on the ground and hold objectives for you, which is where something like squads of liberators, or maybe judicators come in.

2. Screen clearing.  Annihilators can do boatloads of damage if they get in.  However, if they get in and hit some chaff... they then don't have the mobility to move on and hit what needs their hammers.  Note, you also have issues with Unleash Hell shooting units that can punch through and kill an annihilator or two.

3. Mobility.  Once the annihilators come down, they are stuck there for the rest of the game.

Finally, you are restricted to only bring 1 squad of annihilators down at 7" per turn, and anything in the skies after turn 3 is dead.  This means that having 3 squads is forcing you to drop a squad per turn, or drop a squad at 9" instead of 7".  This doesn't mean you can't do that, but it does mean that you might want to consider merging 2 of those squads into a single squad of 6.  Or maybe even get another 3 annihilators and run 2 squads of 6.

As for the rest of the army, the first thing that comes to mind is a mixture of objective control and screen clearing.  This can be a squad of vanguard raptors with longstrikes, though that is going to keep your army very fragile.  Or, you can run squads of Judicators with Skybolt Bows.  Alternatively, you can run vanguard raptors + liberators to have separate mixes for clearing and for objective holding.  Finally, the easiest answer for mobility is a Lord-Relictor with Translocate.

This would put the final army like this:

Lord-Imperatant (175)
Lord-Relictor (145)
Knight-Incantor (125)
5 x Liberators (115)
5 x Liberators (115)
5 x Liberators (115)
- Reinforced x 1

Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Wounds: 87
Drops: 10

This list I would maintain the high drops, grab a hunters battalion for the annihilators, and stick the hero's and raptors into a warlord battalion so you can get an extra enhancement (either extra artefact, or take thunderbolt volley and unleash thy hatred).

Or, if you want a more condensed list that can fit easily into a one drop:

Lord-Imperatant (175)
Lord-Relictor (145)
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
15 x Judicators with Skybolt Bows (600)
- Reinforced x 2
5 x Liberators (115)

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Wounds: 89
Drops: 6

As mentioned, this can easily fit into a battle regiment, and the reinforced grandhammers can punch through even a megagargant in a turn.  You would have to choose between unleash thy hatred and thunderbolt volley though.  An alternative for this is breaking up the judicators into smaller units that can sit on objectives better, and maybe getting a knight-incantor in the mix for the auto-unbind.  Doing that though would mean that thunderbolt volley looks a lot worse, and unleash thy hatred is probably the best as a holy command.

Note here that both cases basically boils down to grabbing a shooting unit and a relictor.  If you would rather run tempestors rather than judicators/vanguard raptors - go for it.  Castigators?  Sure, why not.  Crossbow judicators?  Go for it.  Ballista's... I supposed they work.  As for non-shooting, liberators are nice because they are cheap, but if you want to run vindictors, you can do that.  But you just need something that can sit on objectives while your annihilators go on the offense.

Let me show YoU my test miniature

IMG_20211229_130750.jpg

IMG_20211229_130708.jpg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, frenk_castle said:

As for stormhosts I picked Anvils based on the lore and they are all painted like that. I am aware rules wise they are the worst stormhost but I will keep it.

Very nice paint job 👍

Fair play if you really want to run Anvils. Keep in mind though, in my experience, no one will bat an eye if you run a different Stormhost to what you've painted them. That includes tournies as well. I'm always chopping and changing. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Alpidur said:

Guys, I think a list with draconis, 4 stormdrake and 6 vanguard a raptors with longstrike but I don’t know how to complete…I think to use 2 unit of vindictors to complete the battleline but than? Any ideas?

How about this?

- Army Faction: Stormcast Eternals

- Army Type: Scions of the Storm

- Subfaction: Celestial Warbringers

LEADERS

Knight-Draconis (300)*

- General

- Command Traits: Master of Magic

- Artefacts of Power: Arcane Tome

Lord-Relictor (145)*

- Prayers: Translocation

BATTLELINE

2 x Stormdrake Guard (340)*

10 x Judicators with Boltstorm Crossbows (380)*

OTHER

CORE BATTALIONS

- *Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: 1985/2000

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Need to split the stormdrake in to 2x2 for battle line, but that makes them a bit more belakor proof.

It's 1 drop, got a lot of shooting and a choice of 2 units for thunderbolt volley T1.

However it is super light on scoring bodies and quite fragile with only 85 wounds.

Might be fun to try out though.

Am I missing something on the Darkesworn Templar being awesome? Yes I see the 4+ save but you get a bow that acts like unit of judicators on a good role and the same scary mount. Load it up with the mirror shield relic, -1 to wound in melee trait, and -1 to hit rampage and you are also hard to kill.

4 hours ago, AdamR said:

How about this?

- Army Faction: Stormcast Eternals

- Army Type: Scions of the Storm

- Subfaction: Celestial Warbringers

LEADERS

Knight-Draconis (300)*

- General

- Command Traits: Master of Magic

- Artefacts of Power: Arcane Tome

Lord-Relictor (145)*

- Prayers: Translocation

BATTLELINE

10 x Judicators with Boltstorm Crossbows (380)*

OTHER

CORE BATTALIONS

- *Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: 1985/2000

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Need to split the stormdrake in to 2x2 for battle line, but that makes them a bit more belakor proof.

It's 1 drop, got a lot of shooting and a choice of 2 units for thunderbolt volley T1.

However it is super light on scoring bodies and quite fragile with only 85 wounds.

Might be fun to try out though.

I would go for a unit 4 stormdrakes and 2x5 Judicators, if you really want to play the Judis.

4 hours ago, AmonRa said:

Am I missing something on the Darkesworn Templar being awesome? Yes I see the 4+ save but you get a bow that acts like unit of judicators on a good role and the same scary mount. Load it up with the mirror shield relic, -1 to wound in melee trait, and -1 to hit rampage and you are also hard to kill.

Even if it had the 2d6 shots (average 2 wounds to a 4+ save), why would you invest the command trait, artefact, mount trait and make the general a hero with a 4+ save when for 50pts you can do the same on one with a 3+ save

12 hours ago, Alpidur said:

Guys, I think a list with draconis, 4 stormdrake and 6 vanguard a raptors with longstrike but I don’t know how to complete…I think to use 2 unit of vindictors to complete the battleline but than? Any ideas?

This list did well (4-1, losing in the finals) in a large tournament a couple of weeks ago:

- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar - Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
Leaders
Knight-Draconis (300)*
- General
- Command Trait: Heroic Stature
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Celestial Instincts
Lord-Commander Bastian Carthalos (300)*
Battleline
4 x Stormdrake Guard (680)*
- Drakerider's Warblade
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Liberators (115)*
5 x Liberators (115)*
Units
- Reinforced x 1
Core Battalions *Battle Regiment
Additional Enhancements
Total: 1990 / 2000

Yeah a like i mt but I preferred vindictors than liberators! What do you think about something like this?

- Grand Strategy: 
- Triumphs: 

Leaders
Knight-Draconis (300)
- General
Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds(205)

Battleline
4 x Stormdrake Guard (680)
- Drakerider's Lance
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Vindictors (130)
5 x Vindictors (130)

Units
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Aetherwings (65)

Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Wounds: 91
Drops: 7

Just to check, I've seen several references to having a Lord-Imperatant and Annihilators drop in the same turn to stop the Lord-Imperatant getting sniped. But reading his rules Guided by Lightning triggers at the end of the movement phase if he is on the battlefield so doesn't that mean it won't trigger if they both drop on the same turn as he isn't on the battlefield at the point when the rule triggers?

4 hours ago, Volkmair said:

Just to check, I've seen several references to having a Lord-Imperatant and Annihilators drop in the same turn to stop the Lord-Imperatant getting sniped. But reading his rules Guided by Lightning triggers at the end of the movement phase if he is on the battlefield so doesn't that mean it won't trigger if they both drop on the same turn as he isn't on the battlefield at the point when the rule triggers?

The player whose turn it is decides the order abilities take place in. If you place the Lord first, he's on the table when the Annis are placed, so his rule is in effect.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 10:45 PM, lare2 said:

Very nice paint job 👍

Fair play if you really want to run Anvils. Keep in mind though, in my experience, no one will bat an eye if you run a different Stormhost to what you've painted them. That includes tournies as well. I'm always chopping and changing. 

It is commission painter. I can't paint at all. I took the theme from WD that had Lynus Ghalmorian and Sempiternals and he managed to replicate it marvellously. One of the little details is every hero and Prime has a white paint on the face of his/hers helmet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lucur said:

The player whose turn it is decides the order abilities take place in. If you place the Lord first, he's on the table when the Annis are placed, so his rule is in effect.

So you can declare the rule order Lord-Imperatant deploys using Scions of the Storm > Lord-Imperatant uses Guided by Lightning on Annihilators > Annihilators deploy using Scions of the Storm and the 'if any friendly units with this ability are on the battlefield' requirement for Guided by Lightning checks when it resolves and isn't a requirement for you to declare the rule in the first place then?

26 minutes ago, Volkmair said:

So you can declare the rule order Lord-Imperatant deploys using Scions of the Storm > Lord-Imperatant uses Guided by Lightning on Annihilators > Annihilators deploy using Scions of the Storm and the 'if any friendly units with this ability are on the battlefield' requirement for Guided by Lightning checks when it resolves and isn't a requirement for you to declare the rule in the first place then?

There's no separate "declaration" part of resolving a rule, you just do what it says when you are allowed to, you only care about the game state at the moment you use the rule.

It's the end of the move phase, you can now do anything you want that happens at the end of the move phase. Remember that nothing in AoS happens simultaneously, anything with the same timing that would happen simultanously actually resolves one thing after another, in an order chosen by the player.

First you use Scions of the Storm to drop the Lord Imperatant. Then you choose to drop the Annihilators. Because the Lord Imperatant is on the board when you choose to drop the Annihilators, you can make use of Guided by Lightning.

• Like 3

I'm not a stormcast main, I normally use them as addons for my CoS, I fell in love with the Vigilors kit. I'm making a unit of 5 as rangers to match my ranger themed CoS army, I like to imagine these are what swifthawk agents are remade into. 20211231_042826.jpg.35309e10de911c33179c47a8f1354798.jpg20211231_042843.jpg.5a91b1e37f5e1cc53641be69544f130f.jpg20211231_042900.jpg.23e64d1ebe565c3be5d16c202a9251f3.jpg20211231_042916.jpg.6ad8dac32f9ae495c8c439758309c465.jpg

If I play a narrative campaign I'm thinking that it my hero/general (human ranger with the head) dies, he will be remade into a stormcast. 

20211231_043130.jpg.2b20b4d4bb20a40d014a3e711d956f76.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2