Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

7 hours ago, Fuxxx said:

Have only played one game against warclans since dominion and that was with the old book - has someone had some experience with playing against kharadrons? 1500P against a lot of sky vessels and flying dwarves. In second edition they always flew out of reach and shot at me... I hardly saw melee. Any suggestions for a list? Don't have the new dragon guys but what units might be good against them? We're not playing competitive but the last game against overlords shocked me quite bad.

There are 3 things you can do against KO.

Option 1 - shoot them off.  A squad of longstrikes with thunderbolt volley will kill an ironclad in a turn, and 30" shooting range + translocate means they aren't safe.  Add some judicator's if you want, or just run a 15 man block of them if you want more durability.

Option 2 - force them into melee.  Dracothian guard, evokitties, prosecutors, and stormdrake guard can all get into melee and ruin a unit pretty easily.  Alternatively, a squad of grandhammer annihilators can ruin an ironclad on a charge, but will then not be able to engage anything for the rest of the game.

Option 3 - ignore them.  Take vindicators, protectors, stardrake, and castellents.  A lot of KO shooting is rend -1, with only a small sprinkling of rend 2 and one or two rend 3 weapons.  Put some base 3+ save units in a stormkeep, then just walk into objectives and ignore your opponent since you have more bodies on objectives and can ignore his dps (it's surprisingly low...).  You aren't going to kill him, but he can't kill you either.  Remember, garrisoned units on boats don't count for objectives.

• Like 3

This list came third (4-1j in a 29 player tournament in Canada:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hallowed Knights (Stormkeep)
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Lord-Relictor (145)*
- General
- Command Trait: High Priest
- Prayer: Translocation
Gardus Steel Soul (160)*
Lord-Relictor (145)*
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Spell: Celestial Blades
- Prayer: Bless Weapons

Battleline
5 x Vindictors (130)**
5 x Vindictors (130)*
5 x Vindictors (130)*
5 x Vindictors (130)*

Units
4 x Dracothian Guard Fulminators (460)**
- Reinforced x 1
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (480)*
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Aetherwings (65)*

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Hunters of the Heartlands

Additional Enhancements
Holy Command: Thunderbolt Volley

• Like 2

No wonder this list performed well, it has like all our best units in: 

• 4 Fulminators will do serious Damage to anything in the game, beeing Hunters protects them while going for the opponents big stuff
  • 6 Longstrikes allow you to kill many targets from distance due to thunderbolt volley. It's a solid ranged hammer
  • 4x5 Vindicators which are our best battleline, improved by the Stormkeep rule
  • Lord Relictor can translocate units for higher mobility/survival
  • Hallowed Knights means even more damage in meele when losses occur

I am not sure about Gardus role in the list but I assume him to be no slouch either

Okay, I checked the Gardus Warscroll. 5++, reroll charge buff to a unit once a game that also provides a bonus attack, can fight for sure after his dead (does this stack with the 4+ fight after death of Hollow Heart? This could triple his combat output in ideal circumstances). He is an insane mix of beatstick and support hero

5 minutes ago, Charleston said:

Okay, I checked the Gardus Warscroll. 5++, reroll charge buff to a unit once a game that also provides a bonus attack, can fight for sure after his dead (does this stack with the 4+ fight after death of Hollow Heart? This could triple his combat output in ideal circumstances). He is an insane mix of beatstick and support hero

the bonus attack is only for HEROES so it doesn't really matter in that list (there are no heroes that you want in combat) and the fight after death doesn't stack with the HK trait because the latter is only for REDEEMERS units. Basically, it's "just" a 5++ bubble, and that's already great :D

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2021 at 2:11 PM, Celestantpants said:

..........you completely misunderstand what I meant by worst battletome release.  It isn't the worst ever as far as being competitive.  It's the worst ever because it has had so many changes in so short a period of time that completely outdate and invalidate a very expensive book.  It's the worst ever due to how half ***ed and poorly they did with internal balance, wording, and play testing.  No Tome should have this many changes this quickly unless it's free.  Certainly not at the price they are asking.  It just shows how incompetent they are that this many changes needed to happen this fast.  The book should have been released in a better state.  

On 11/25/2021 at 2:27 PM, Tizianolol said:

Ah ok! I m playing stormcast and I think they are good now, and fun! It was hard balance an army with 70+ warscroll,  i think they did a good job!

I think these two things can and do coexist. We've got a pretty solid tome that's doing well enough to see us winning tournaments or  hitting top 5. There are also obvious issues with this edition's battletomes so far. Whether rules-wise or how poorly the text is proofread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chronos said:

I wonder if it would be better to have the Knight Incator in this list in case you can't go first to stop any sniping of Gardus?

Yes the Incantor is a key unit any time you're not trying to play for an alpha strike

Jordans list is (imo) a worse version of Hallowstrike

30 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Yes the Incantor is a key unit any time you're not trying to play for an alpha strike

It's pretty tough for me to not include the Incantor making lists now, I think it might be more important than a Relictor now.

Any ideas or thoughts on taking on giants? It almost seems like you have to go one drop or get a super alpha from Annihilators/Raptors if you have to go first.

26 minutes ago, Chronos said:

It's pretty tough for me to not include the Incantor making lists now, I think it might be more important than a Relictor now.

Any ideas or thoughts on taking on giants? It almost seems like you have to go one drop or get a super alpha from Annihilators/Raptors if you have to go first.

Giants is mostly a DPS check army.  Stormcast can handle the DPS check, provided that you bring one or two of the standard heavy hitters (longstrikes/judicators, annihilators, fulminators, protectors).  Even if they go ahead and mystic shield, finest hour, and all out defense on various units, you can still punch through a giant a turn if you focus it.  If you can take 1 down before they can respond, you are in a fairly decent position.  If you can take 2 down, they are going to struggle to hold objectives against you, or pull off their battle tactics.  Then, even if they destroy your hammer units, you should be able to secure enough victory points to take the game.

That being said, this does mean that you are basically required to bring some of those heavy hammer units, and you can't reliably beat them if you decide you want to run one of the more typical durable/grindy setups.

23 minutes ago, readercolin said:

Giants is mostly a DPS check army.  Stormcast can handle the DPS check, provided that you bring one or two of the standard heavy hitters (longstrikes/judicators, annihilators, fulminators, protectors).  Even if they go ahead and mystic shield, finest hour, and all out defense on various units, you can still punch through a giant a turn if you focus it.  If you can take 1 down before they can respond, you are in a fairly decent position.  If you can take 2 down, they are going to struggle to hold objectives against you, or pull off their battle tactics.  Then, even if they destroy your hammer units, you should be able to secure enough victory points to take the game.

That being said, this does mean that you are basically required to bring some of those heavy hammer units, and you can't reliably beat them if you decide you want to run one of the more typical durable/grindy setups.

Yeah focusing is probably the way to go. I have to get better at screening as well.

On another note, I just finished watching the bat rep at Season of War between a list similar to the one above against a double mawa-krusha list and the Stormcast won.

I like the guys a lot(being fellow Canadians) but it was... interesting to hear them talk(complain) about Stormcast so much when both these guys are super competitive and play things like double maw-krusha Ironjaws and Lumineth with a bunch of Sentinels.

I mean, in my game against Host Arcanmum Tzeentch with Archaon and Kairos(really underpowered list there), my opponent just sat Kairos within range of my Longstrikes, so of course I killed him. Even without TV I would have killed him turn one. I don't see how it's Stormcasts' issue when the opponent is going to just put his 4+ save monster within range. If you want to castle up and get all your buffs off as Lumineth turn one, it's not my problem if you are going to have to leave you 740 point god model within range.

I'm just really surprised by good players not feeling like they need to counter-play and change their tactics around as new armies come out.

I also can't believe a Lumineth player would complain about another strong shooting unit that isn't even as good.

Do people really want Stormcast nerfed so they aren't good at anything?

*Edit I should also note that in a previous tournament, the Lumineth player lost Teclis turn 1 but still ended up winning the game... Just a weird take all around.

Edited by Chronos
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Chronos said:

I'm sure some do (a lot of people refuse to play AoS completely because of some combination of WHFB/stormcasts) but personally I think the biggest bugbear in 2.0 Sigmar was shooting, and it cheeses me right off that the problem is if anything even *worse* now. So I'm all for nerfing *everyones* shooting.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, frenk_castle said:

May I get a ruling on Drakescale Armour:

You can re-roll save rolls for attacks made with weapons that have a Damage characteristic of 2 or more that target the bearer.

Does it work on D3, D6, etc damage weapons. It is pretty clear it works on 2, 3, 4, etc damage weapons.

Thanks in advance.

This is unfortunately an ambiguity in the rules. I have sent this question to the FAQ team and would recommend anyone else who wants an official ruling does so too. In the mean time here is a copy paste of a post I made before on the subject:

---

They [d3 and d6 damage attacks] either all count as 1, or you roll the damage before the saves and get to reroll saves for any non-1s.

22.2.4 Random Characteristics says:

Random Attacks or Damage: If you need to know the value of a random Attacks or Damage characteristic for a weapon being used by a unit to make an attack, make the random characteristic roll shown on the unit's warscroll. The roll is the characteristic for that attack. If you need to know the value of a random Attack or Damage characteristic for a weapon at a time other than when it is being used to make an attack, count it as having a value of 1.

So the question is, is a save roll "other than when it is being used to make an attack" and I would say... probably? Because it's an odd break from the usual format to roll damage before the save when it explicitly works the other way around in the usual attack sequence. But I think there's an argument to be made that you very much are doing it at a time when it is being used to make an attack.

I mean, in my game against Host Arcanmum Tzeentch with Archaon and Kairos(really underpowered list there), my opponent just sat Kairos within range of my Longstrikes, so of course I killed him. 

I'm just really surprised by good players not feeling like they need to counter-play and change their tactics around as new armies come out.

*Edit I should also note that in a previous tournament, the Lumineth player lost Teclis turn 1 but still ended up winning the game... Just a weird take all around.

That is... very strange. I guess "no plan survives contact with the enemy" isn't as universal a wargamer mantra as I thought it was.  Sounds like these lads wanted the game to go exactly how it would in their mind. 

16 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

That is... very strange. I guess "no plan survives contact with the enemy" isn't as universal a wargamer mantra as I thought it was.  Sounds like these lads wanted the game to go exactly how it would in their mind. 

Yeah, I don't know. The guys on that channel are really good players with a lot of good insight.

I think maybe the impression I'm getting with the Stormcast "hate" is that the army is too straightforward? For instance with Lumineth or First Prince type armies, the player probably feels like a big brain player because there are a million little rules and when you get all those interactions together and have a really strong army it seems justified, whereas Stormcast have strong scrolls and not a ton of little interactions to make things good. So it seems 'too easy' for a Stormcast player to use the army so therefore shouldn't have the same strength, or something. Like, it is not 'earned'.

Thunderbolt Volley is a command ability, boom, done. Gardus just give a 12" 5++ rather than Teclis having a spell that interacts with his special rules to give 18" 5++. Sentinels cast a spell for extra mortals and then can just shoot over things, meanwhile Lord Relictor Translocating Longstrikes into place and then Thunderbolting is a bit trickier and that's also offside?

Anyway, after two years of painting up and exploring a bunch of different armies at different strengths and having finally settled on Stormcast, it just really has started to bug me when I hear all the complaining, yet see so many other armies with powerful pieces and bags of tricks. Plus SoB.

I think maybe the impression I'm getting with the Stormcast "hate" is that the army is too straightforward? For instance with Lumineth or First Prince type armies, the player probably feels like a big brain player because there are a million little rules and when you get all those interactions together and have a really strong army it seems justified, whereas Stormcast have strong scrolls and not a ton of little interactions to make things good. So it seems 'too easy' for a Stormcast player to use the army so therefore shouldn't have the same strength, or something. Like, it is not 'earned'.

I can definitely see this. Heck even as a SCE player it's still a shock that we got so many warscroll abilities scrapped & too many Stormhosts feel terrible, yet we're consistently hearing good news from tournament play. Even if we consider that biased reporting, there's no denying what GW did worked (for now).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

I can definitely see this. Heck even as a SCE player it's still a shock that we got so many warscroll abilities scrapped & too many Stormhosts feel terrible, yet we're consistently hearing good news from tournament play. Even if we consider that biased reporting, there's no denying what GW did worked (for now).

It is only a shock if you don't really get the game, to be honest. That's perfectly fine, but a lot of the complaints were born out of ignorance, rather than experience. 

(not to suggest that the book is perfect, or that all of teh complaints made about it are invalid!)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chronos said:

Yeah focusing is probably the way to go. I have to get better at screening as well.

On another note, I just finished watching the bat rep at Season of War between a list similar to the one above against a double mawa-krusha list and the Stormcast won.

I like the guys a lot(being fellow Canadians) but it was... interesting to hear them talk(complain) about Stormcast so much when both these guys are super competitive and play things like double maw-krusha Ironjaws and Lumineth with a bunch of Sentinels.

I mean, in my game against Host Arcanmum Tzeentch with Archaon and Kairos(really underpowered list there), my opponent just sat Kairos within range of my Longstrikes, so of course I killed him. Even without TV I would have killed him turn one. I don't see how it's Stormcasts' issue when the opponent is going to just put his 4+ save monster within range. If you want to castle up and get all your buffs off as Lumineth turn one, it's not my problem if you are going to have to leave you 740 point god model within range.

I also can't believe a Lumineth player would complain about another strong shooting unit that isn't even as good.

Hey Chronos!

I wanted to start off by saying thanks for the kind words about us/our show - we're trying our best to rep the Canadian scene well! As a fan of our content I just wanted to clarify my intentions about the comments/discussions we've had about Stormcast, and the points you've mentioned.

First off, as a general blanket statement I didn't mean to imply that any units were grossly overpowered/undercosted or anything when referring to SCE being 'very strong', nor did I want to be derogatory about the army. Like you mention I play Lumineth as well and I would say they are also very strong! I definitely didn't mean any of my comments as complaints, or with the inference that I felt any of the units should be nerfed, have their pts increased, or that the army shouldn't be good at anything.

At this point with AoS I collect/play so many armies that I don't view the game through the standpoint of one specific army, and aim to be fair/impartial in my opinions & comments. That said, I LOVE Stormcast as an army (particularly once I had an idea for how to customize the army hobby-wise) so never meant to disparage the army or anyone who plays it.

In the batrep you mention my goal was to highlight the areas of strength in the faction, not to tear them down but merely to highlight them to hopefully help players the community adjust to a new tome easier - I 100% agree with your comments about needing to adjust your perspective & tactics (and even lists) in response to new battletome or changes in the meta. One of the big goals of our channel is to help prepare those interested in tournament play in AoS, as learning opposing armies can be one of the biggest challenges when starting out - when I was starting there were almost no battle reports featuring the lists I would be seeing when going to events, so we wanted to help fill that gap.

Regarding my comments about Longstrikes and your comparison between them and Sentinels; I again did not mean anything as a complaint about the unit. Playing a similar roles, Longstrikes do outperform 30 Sentinels with power of Hysh, with Sentinels only matching or eclipsing ;) them when considering Lambent Light (generally requiring a combination of 3 spellcasts - and we all know how reliable spells can be at times). I actually think Longstrikes are maybe even slightly harshly pointed for their fragility and weaknesses. All that said, I think the main thing I aimed to highlight with Longstrikes are their 'ease of use' for players to be aware of - there's almost no fail points in the application of their firepower when they're on the board. Regardless, in the end I think Longstrikes are completely fine as is.

The main point I did highlight as a potential concern was Thunderbolt Volley - I do think it is potentially too strong/problematic on my early experience with the army (I admittedly have only played 8 games with them now after the GT). Am I calling for its immediate removal or FAQ? Not at all, but I do think its worth highlighting as something the game designers should keep a close eye on - it is very strong. Again, I'd say the same thing of the Sentinels ability to ignore LoS - I play no favorites!

In the end, I just wanted to clarify my comments to avoid any unintended derogatory sentiment towards the army - so I hope you know that I do not hate the army nor want it to be nerfed into the ground or any such thing. In addition (lol) I've got nothing but love and appreciation for your time and consideration of our content!

13 hours ago, PJetski said:

Hey Paul!

As Chronos first said the Incantor is a great unit and was a strong consideration for the list, to explain my choice and respond to your - justified - thoughts on the list overall its worth considering the context of my choices for the event itself:

- This was a small GT (sub 30 players) with what I expected to be a HEAVY Destruction/Combat presence (indeed 10/26 were destro with another 8 being nearly pure combat armies). Good reasons to go Stormkeep/Hallowed Knights.
- Of those there were 4 SoB players, and I knew to expect at least 2 of the players bringing them to be fighting on top tables. I fought and beat 1, but didn't get the chance to play Yury who won the event. Further good reasons for Stormkeep/Hallowed Knights.
- I expected very few 'Magic Dominant' armies, and also knew the venue had lots of LoS block terrain, so I had little fear of casters picking off Gardus or my other heroes early.

With all those in mind I felt the Arcane tome Relictor would replace the Knight Incantor well as a caster for Celestial blades/mystic shield, and I didn't 'NEED' the auto-unbind. Additionally the Relictor brought the 2+ Bless Weapons prayer, and the extended range as another potential hero from which to trigger Thunderbolt Volley. In the context of this event the second Lord Relictor definitely felt like he provided more value - and in hindsight it was definitely the right decision based on my matchups!

In large part, Stormkeep was also the right call and provided much more value to me/my games than Scions would have (which I think is predominantly the better choice at larger/more varied events).

Also worth noting that prior to list submission I had played 1 game with SCE (the one vs IJ) where I wasn't forced to rely on many dominion units because of my limited collection. I wouldn't claim its a masterful list that can podium at any event - missions and matchups in the final rounds are SO impactful in AoS 3 as Stormkeep does have some significant weaknesses.

All in all, I think it was definitely the right list for the event, and I had a blast playing it - I hope I was able to shed some light on its perceived faults!

Anyways, cheers - keep up the awesome content!

- Jordan

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, SoWJordan said:

Hey Chronos!

I wanted to start off by saying thanks for the kind words about us/our show - we're trying our best to rep the Canadian scene well! As a fan of our content I just wanted to clarify my intentions about the comments/discussions we've had about Stormcast, and the points you've mentioned.

First off, as a general blanket statement I didn't mean to imply that any units were grossly overpowered/undercosted or anything when referring to SCE being 'very strong', nor did I want to be derogatory about the army. Like you mention I play Lumineth as well and I would say they are also very strong! I definitely didn't mean any of my comments as complaints, or with the inference that I felt any of the units should be nerfed, have their pts increased, or that the army shouldn't be good at anything.

At this point with AoS I collect/play so many armies that I don't view the game through the standpoint of one specific army, and aim to be fair/impartial in my opinions & comments. That said, I LOVE Stormcast as an army (particularly once I had an idea for how to customize the army hobby-wise) so never meant to disparage the army or anyone who plays it.

In the batrep you mention my goal was to highlight the areas of strength in the faction, not to tear them down but merely to highlight them to hopefully help players the community adjust to a new tome easier - I 100% agree with your comments about needing to adjust your perspective & tactics (and even lists) in response to new battletome or changes in the meta. One of the big goals of our channel is to help prepare those interested in tournament play in AoS, as learning opposing armies can be one of the biggest challenges when starting out - when I was starting there were almost no battle reports featuring the lists I would be seeing when going to events, so we wanted to help fill that gap.

Regarding my comments about Longstrikes and your comparison between them and Sentinels; I again did not mean anything as a complaint about the unit. Playing a similar roles, Longstrikes do outperform 30 Sentinels with power of Hysh, with Sentinels only matching or eclipsing ;) them when considering Lambent Light (generally requiring a combination of 3 spellcasts - and we all know how reliable spells can be at times). I actually think Longstrikes are maybe even slightly harshly pointed for their fragility and weaknesses. All that said, I think the main thing I aimed to highlight with Longstrikes are their 'ease of use' for players to be aware of - there's almost no fail points in the application of their firepower when they're on the board. Regardless, in the end I think Longstrikes are completely fine as is.

The main point I did highlight as a potential concern was Thunderbolt Volley - I do think it is potentially too strong/problematic on my early experience with the army (I admittedly have only played 8 games with them now after the GT). Am I calling for its immediate removal or FAQ? Not at all, but I do think its worth highlighting as something the game designers should keep a close eye on - it is very strong. Again, I'd say the same thing of the Sentinels ability to ignore LoS - I play no favorites!

In the end, I just wanted to clarify my comments to avoid any unintended derogatory sentiment towards the army - so I hope you know that I do not hate the army nor want it to be nerfed into the ground or any such thing. In addition (lol) I've got nothing but love and appreciation for your time and consideration of our content!

Hey Paul!

As Chronos first said the Incantor is a great unit and was a strong consideration for the list, to explain my choice and respond to your - justified - thoughts on the list overall its worth considering the context of my choices for the event itself:

- This was a small GT (sub 30 players) with what I expected to be a HEAVY Destruction/Combat presence (indeed 10/26 were destro with another 8 being nearly pure combat armies). Good reasons to go Stormkeep/Hallowed Knights.
- Of those there were 4 SoB players, and I knew to expect at least 2 of the players bringing them to be fighting on top tables. I fought and beat 1, but didn't get the chance to play Yury who won the event. Further good reasons for Stormkeep/Hallowed Knights.
- I expected very few 'Magic Dominant' armies, and also knew the venue had lots of LoS block terrain, so I had little fear of casters picking off Gardus or my other heroes early.

With all those in mind I felt the Arcane tome Relictor would replace the Knight Incantor well as a caster for Celestial blades/mystic shield, and I didn't 'NEED' the auto-unbind. Additionally the Relictor brought the 2+ Bless Weapons prayer, and the extended range as another potential hero from which to trigger Thunderbolt Volley. In the context of this event the second Lord Relictor definitely felt like he provided more value - and in hindsight it was definitely the right decision based on my matchups!

In large part, Stormkeep was also the right call and provided much more value to me/my games than Scions would have (which I think is predominantly the better choice at larger/more varied events).

Also worth noting that prior to list submission I had played 1 game with SCE (the one vs IJ) where I wasn't forced to rely on many dominion units because of my limited collection. I wouldn't claim its a masterful list that can podium at any event - missions and matchups in the final rounds are SO impactful in AoS 3 as Stormkeep does have some significant weaknesses.

All in all, I think it was definitely the right list for the event, and I had a blast playing it - I hope I was able to shed some light on its perceived faults!

Anyways, cheers - keep up the awesome content!

- Jordan

Since you had such good knowledge of the local meta I think you made the right call.

How did you find your list matching up against Seraphon? Was the lack of Scions and Incantor an issue?

Looking forward to bumping into you at events again (probably at the top tables, like usual) in the new year! Maybe this time you will be the one playing a stormcast castle list xD

Edited by PJetski