Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

I went 3-0 in a 24 player 1 day tournament today. Played against Morathi Daughters, Kurnoth heavy Sylvaneth and last game was Stormcast - Stardrake with amulet and allied Gotrek. Harsh! 🤣

All great games, and I have to say I'm more than happy with the new battletome🙂.

• Like 3

The Stormkeep Episode 9 is live now!

This episode is an introduction to strategy and tactics in tabletop wargaming. We discuss terms like "hammer", "anvil", "alpha strike", "castle", etc. and now the Stormcast can use these concepts when approaching battles.

The video also features 2 lists (2 alpha strike, 2 castles) and a ranking of every Battle Tactic.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

The Stormkeep Episode 9 is live now!

This episode is an introduction to strategy and tactics in tabletop wargaming. We discuss terms like "hammer", "anvil", "alpha strike", "castle", etc. and now the Stormcast can use these concepts when approaching battles.

The video also features 2 lists (2 alpha strike, 2 castles) and a ranking of every Battle Tactic.

Loving these. Keep me entertained and informed whilst doing the dishes. Keep them coming 👍

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, feadair said:

This means you cannot use it to get your Vanguard-Raptors or Judicators to a good shooting position for a turn one Thunderbolt Volley. Granted, you might not need it especially given the long range that the Raptors have, but if the enemy is able to hide behind terrain, this becomes really important.

How useful is translocating for a thunderbolt volley anyway given you can only translocate the shooting unit and they need to end wholly within 18" of a lord?

16 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

How useful is translocating for a thunderbolt volley anyway given you can only translocate the shooting unit and they need to end wholly within 18" of a lord?

Use the command before translocating the unit. It just lets them shoot in the hero phase, it doesn't say they have to shoot immediately.

• Thanks 1

Another well performing list (4-1) from a Swedish 44 player tournament:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals 
- Stormhost: Celestial Warbringers  (Stormkeep) 
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line 
- Triumphs: Inspired 
Celestant-Prime (325)* 
Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)** Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)** Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)** 
Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)* - Artefact: Luckstone 
Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)* - General 
- Command Trait: Staunch Defender - Artefact: Mirrorshield 
5 x Liberators (115)** 
- Heavens-wrought Weapon and Shield - 1x Grandweapons 
5 x Liberators (115)** 
5 x Liberators (115)** 
5 x Vanari Dawnriders (140)** 
- Allies 
- Allies 
The Burning Head (20) 
*Command Entourage - Magnificent **Battle Regiment 
Holy Command: Call for Aid 
Artefact 
Total: 1995 / 2000 
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4 
Allies: 280 / 400 
Wounds: 88 
Drops: 4
  • Like 2

This will he the First list i will Try. What do you think? Do you think ist can handle competetive enviroments? Or would you change anything? C&c is welcome.

- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
- Grand Strategy: 
- Triumphs: 
Lord-Imperatant (175)*
- General
Lord-Relictor (145)
Lord-Commander Bastian Carthalos (300)
10 x Vindictors (260)*
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Judicators with Skybolt Bows (400)
- Reinforced x 1
2 x Dracothian Guard Fulminators (230)
6 x Annihilators with Meteoric Grandhammers (480)
- Reinforced x 1
*Warlord

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 91

unleash the hatred

volley

Edited by Erdemo86

1 hour ago, Erdemo86 said:

This will he the First list i will Try. What do you think? Do you think ist can handle competetive enviroments? Or would you change anything? C&c is welcome.

- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
- Grand Strategy: 
- Triumphs: 
Lord-Imperatant (175)*
- General
Lord-Relictor (145)
Lord-Commander Bastian Carthalos (300)
10 x Vindictors (260)*
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Judicators with Skybolt Bows (400)
- Reinforced x 1
2 x Dracothian Guard Fulminators (230)
6 x Annihilators with Meteoric Grandhammers (480)
- Reinforced x 1
*Warlord

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 91

unleash the hatred

volley

What's the plan for the Vindictors? 

16 hours ago, feadair said:

Another well performing list (4-1) from a Swedish 44 player tournament:

- Stormhost: Celestial Warbringers  (Stormkeep) 
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line 
- Triumphs: Inspired 
Celestant-Prime (325)* 
Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)** Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)** Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)** 
Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)* - Artefact: Luckstone 
Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)* - General 
- Command Trait: Staunch Defender - Artefact: Mirrorshield 
5 x Liberators (115)** 
5 x Liberators (115)** 
5 x Liberators (115)** 
- Allies 
- Allies 
The Burning Head (20) 
*Command Entourage - Magnificent **Battle Regiment 
Artefact 
Total: 1995 / 2000 
Allies: 280 / 400 
Wounds: 88 
Drops: 4

Man, I hope Knight-Judicator spam does not become the standard. That would be unfortunate.

26 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Man, I hope Knight-Judicator spam does not become the standard. That would be unfortunate.

To me it's actually a very reasonable choice in competitive games. While I do not wish to beat the dead horse by mentioning the latest FAQ, I think Knight-Judicator spam list perfectly epitomises post-nerf Translocation Stormcast lists. Stormcast melee hammers lack mobility, so many competitive lists are shoehorned into using shooting as their "hammer" instead.

Edited by Sagittarii Orientalis

2 minutes ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

To me it's actually a very reasonable choice in competitive games. While I do not wish to beat the dead horse by mentioning the latest FAQ, I think Knight-Judicator spam list perfectly epitomises post-nerf Translocation Stormcast lists. Stormcast melee hammers lack mobility, so many competitive lists are shoehorned into using shooting as their "hammer" instead.

It's not that I find the list unreasonable, it's rather that I think it would be nicer if spamming five copies of the same monopose hero was not an optimal choice in a book with, like, 80 warscrolls.

• Like 6

Hey all, was just looking at the new SCE kits and it seemed like all of the Dominion models besides the Annihilators were the same monopose sculpts as what came in the big box. Is this just my imagination? Can someone with better/sharper eyes than me confirm or deny this based on the photos of the sprues? 

Edit: I guess in reality I’m just saying this about the Vindicators and Praetors since that’s them plus Annihators are all of the units that came in the box. 

Edited by Lior'Lec
Brain ******

1 minute ago, Lior'Lec said:

Hey all, was just looking at the new SCE kits and it seemed like all of the Dominion models besides the Annihilators were the same monopose sculpts as what came in the big box. Is this just my imagination? Can someone with better/sharper eyes than me confirm or deny this based on the photos of the sprues?

Your eyes do not deceive you!

5 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It's not that I find the list unreasonable, it's rather that I think it would be nicer if spamming five copies of the same monopose hero was not an optimal choice in a book with, like, 80 warscrolls.

this 100%, and he already seemed high in points so if GW drops another 10-20 points on him for "balance".....

3 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

this 100%, and he already seemed high in points so if GW drops another 10-20 points on him for "balance".....

I think that will be pretty likely to happen, actually. I'm almost certain they missed the possibility of the Knight-Judicator spammed during play testing. I know that I didn't consider it when we initally saw the warscroll, but he's a huge threat in multiples. This is the kind of thing that's easy to miss if you try to play the game the way it is "supposed" to, in which case you probably think of the Knight-Judicator as a hero sniper whose high damage potential is balanced by swingyness. But of course if you just bring more copies of him, the swingyness gets mitigated and you get to drop a huge mortal wound bomb once per game as a bonus.

If the Knight-Judicator spam list becomes popular, I am almost certain that he goes up in points, since it is very likely too different from what the designers thought Stormcast were supposed to play like. Even the dragon spam list seems more future proof, since it at least seems to be intended.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

This is the kind of thing that's easy to miss if you try to play the game the way it is "supposed" to, in which case you probably think of the Knight-Judicator as a hero sniper whose high damage potential is balanced by swingyness. But of course if you just bring more copies of him, the swingyness gets mitigated and you get to drop a huge mortal wound bomb once per game as a bonus.

The swinginess is also mitigated if you take a tauralon bringing all of your judiknights to 2+/2+ and you add one reroll from celestial warbringers. This is kind of the list I am bringing to a one dayer in december. I didn't expect it to be very good when I wrote it (I started from wanting to play a Stardrake and herohammer) but maybe I have underestimated my own list 🤷‍♂️

Spoiler
- Stormhost: Celestial Warbringers (Stormkeep)
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)*
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Command Trait: Master of the Celestial Menagerie
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Celestial Instincts
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (195)*
- Spell: Starfall
Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)*
Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)**
Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (285)**
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
- Spell: Starfall
Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)**
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Spell: Lightning Blast
5 x Vindictors (130)**
5 x Vindictors (130)*
5 x Liberators (115)
- Heavens-wrought Weapon and Shield
- 1x Grandweapons
*Warlord
**Warlord
Artefact
Artefact

Total: 1970 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 86
Drops: 9

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I don't know why but I really love the Knight-Judicator spam list.

I agree, I hope it doesn't become the defacto list. I haven't seen it or played against it, so obviously hard to judge, but I think the rest of the book has enough bite that we'll see some diversity in Stormcast lists.

I just love that a Warscroll which was almost unanimously panned and thrown aside by most people, myself included, did so well.

I also love the idea of there being No safe space to deepstrike with so many good-gryph boys and shooty boys on guard.

Now to think of 4 cool Knight-Judicator conversions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Horizons said:

Now to think of 4 cool Knight-Judicator conversions.

The concept is basic enough (armoured person with very big bow) that it shouldn't be too hard to get creative. Even without that, the standard mini is on such a big base that one can create a lot of diversity with basing + head swaps

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think that will be pretty likely to happen, actually. I'm almost certain they missed the possibility of the Knight-Judicator spammed during play testing.

On Warhammer Weakly back when book came out Vince had toughts that relatively high points for dude made sense only if they feared him spammed. So who knows?

• Like 1