Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

Hey guys, I'm going to play a mirror match tomorrow against a local Stormcast player. I know he likes Raptors, Evocats, Sequitors, and usually builds his armies around them, so I'm planning in countering with 15 Judicators and a LC Stardrake with Amulet of Destiny. I'm thinking about filling the rest with Gardus, Vindictors (reinforced), Liberators, Gryph-hounds and a Knight Incantor. We are going to play Savage Gains. What do you think?

Of the new stuff theres very little thats great (SDG, draconis), a lot thats maybe okay (chariot, bastian, krondys, annihilators, yndrasta, vindictors, knight-judicator, vigilors, banner, praetors, imperatant) and some straight garbage (vanquishers, knight relictor, knight arcanum, karazai).

The maybe okay stuff can be made more useable with points adjustments, so that's good at least.

If they wanted to push new model sales through OP rules, they've done a really poor job.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Talas said:

Hey guys, I'm going to play a mirror match tomorrow against a local Stormcast player. I know he likes Raptors, Evocats, Sequitors, and usually builds his armies around them, so I'm planning in countering with 15 Judicators and a LC Stardrake with Amulet of Destiny. I'm thinking about filling the rest with Gardus, Vindictors (reinforced), Liberators, Gryph-hounds and a Knight Incantor. We are going to play Savage Gains. What do you think?

I'd be hesitant to leave the mirrorshield at home. We're quite capable of turning a Stardrake with a ward into a pincushion in a single turn with average rolls.

Edit: It would take slightly above average rolls, actually- The expected damage is about 15.8. I suspect his thunderbolt volley will be more likely aimed at crippling yours if he goes first.

Edited by Squark
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

I still cannot believe Lord-Aquilor and vanguard-raptors are missing VANGUARD keyword.

That, and both Celestant-Prime and Yndrasta not being able to issue Holy Command since they have neither the HERO or LORD keyword. 😠

that is crazy and hopefully just typos

Guys I have a question about " cavernous jaws" , about stardrake. 

This ability is used when the model pile in. What happen if ( as exemple) i eat a brute, and they have already attacked, i can brake their coherency. If ( i hope not!) During my normal pile in i kill only 1 brute.. durin shock phase opponent got 3 brutes thet go away? Is this correct? Thx all

15 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys I have a question about " cavernous jaws" , about stardrake. 

This ability is used when the model pile in. What happen if ( as exemple) i eat a brute, and they have already attacked, i can brake their coherency. If ( i hope not!) During my normal pile in i kill only 1 brute.. durin shock phase opponent got 3 brutes thet go away? Is this correct? Thx all

Yes, if your opponent goes before you, you can eat one of his brutes and break coherency, and he won't get a chance to return to coherency.  However, if you eat his brute in such a way that he would be out of coherency, and then throw some more damage at the unit, it should be pretty clear to him where he needs to allocate wounds.

Keep in mind some of the limitations on cavernous jaws though.  First of all, you need to choose 3 models, and you roll 1 die per model.  You don't get to allocate all 3 rolls to a single model to try to "guarantee" its removal.

31 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Ok thx a lot, I thought it was a too broken mechanic, like immagine 60 zombies, i kill like 20 of them, I jaws 1 and he broke coherency losing 34 zombies. Seems too strong imo

*furrows brow in confusion*

Breaking coherency means you remove out of coherency models until all remaining models are in coherency. Provided you organize models into multiple ranks, it shouldn't be possible to lose that many models due to breaking coherency.

Edited by Squark

5 hours ago, Squark said:

I'd be hesitant to leave the mirrorshield at home. We're quite capable of turning a Stardrake with a ward into a pincushion in a single turn with average rolls.

Edit: It would take slightly above average rolls, actually- The expected damage is about 15.8. I suspect his thunderbolt volley will be more likely aimed at crippling yours if he goes first.

I'm building my list with a one drop in mind. So hopefully, I'll be crippling his army first!

Thank you!

Edited by Talas

So I'm likely going to a double tournament in December at a local store and I'm teaming up with a COS player. I'm not 100% sure of what he's running yet, but having played him before, he castled up behind a load of handgunners and greatswords, though he also has some SCE and KO to add in to the mix.

I know for sure I'll be up against a SoB/Kruleboyz combo.

Playing around with 1,000 point lists assuming the CoS will be shooty and defensive, what do you think to these? I'm going to have to buy most of this, so any comments appreciated. 

List 1 - Stormkeep

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
- Grand Strategy: Sacred Charge
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Lord-Commander Bastian Carthalos (300)*
Knight-Incantor (125)*
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Spell: Celestial Blades

Battleline
2 x Dracothian Guard Fulminators (230)*
2 x Dracothian Guard Fulminators (230)*
5 x Liberators (115)*
- Heavens-wrought Weapon and Shield
- 1x Grandweapons

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Additional Enhancements
Holy Command: Steadfast March

Total: 1000 / 1000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 2
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 47
Drops: 1

The view here is that Bastian's Thunderborn ability will be able to chip away at key heroes and those pesky Mega-gargants my mate will be running. If I'm reading that right, it's 35 dice and each 6+ does a MW?

My only concern is Bastian's speed versus the Fulminators. Scion might solve that, but then he's off the table for a hero phase.

Other consideration was whether to put the troops in Hunters battalion instead and forego the one-drop.

List 2 - Scions

Fairly standard right? Assumes the CoS playing will be doing the shooting...

- Stormhost: Knights Excelsior
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Lord-Imperatant (175)*
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Spell: Lightning Blast
Knight-Vexillor (120)*
- Pennant of the Stormbringer

Battleline
6 x Annihilators with Meteoric Grandhammers (480)*
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Protectors (225)*

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Additional Enhancements
Holy Command: Unleash Thy Hatred

Total: 1000 / 1000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 2
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 46
Drops: 1

Not decided on Grand Strategy yet and replaced Relictor w/Translocation with a Vexillor and the Pennant for redeploying the annihilators.

-

The other idea I'm playing around with is a defensive sacrosanct list to hold objectives. 

Otherwise, can Gotrek be allied in at 1K pts and is it worth it?

24 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Since I do not like the Model of the Lord Celestant at all (way too static). I guess I'll use 
Jrg2onc.jpeg

as Lord Celestant ^^ (or simply as somethng else, don't know yet)

There's a helmed version of Gardus, too, which is supposed to be a LC.

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

Has anyone tested the Ghur Battlemage + Translocation combo yet? Im tempted by it for a delivery system for my Stormkeep Protectors 

No testing, just theory so far. This is where I am at: Wildform and Translocate on Protectors is definitely a possibility, but it has its downsides. 

You have to go first and use it on your first turn. Otherwise, the super-fragile Ghur Battlemage will be killed off before he gets to cast Wildform. This requires you to go one-drop, and you must win the die roll against any other one-drop lists.

You have to spend Translocate on the first turn on the Protectors. This means you cannot use it to get your Vanguard-Raptors or Judicators to a good shooting position for a turn one Thunderbolt Volley. Granted, you might not need it especially given the long range that the Raptors have, but if the enemy is able to hide behind terrain, this becomes really important.

Wildform has a fail chance. It is pretty small especially if in Ghur, but together with the chance of rolling below 7 on the charge it does add up. It is also susceptible to being unbound. 

For these reasons, I am going Imperatant and Annihilators instead. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, feadair said:

No testing, just theory so far. This is where I am at: Wildform and Translocate on Protectors is definitely a possibility, but it has its downsides. 

You have to go first and use it on your first turn. Otherwise, the super-fragile Ghur Battlemage will be killed off before he gets to cast Wildform. This requires you to go one-drop, and you must win the die roll against any other one-drop lists.

You have to spend Translocate on the first turn on the Protectors. This means you cannot use it to get your Vanguard-Raptors or Judicators to a good shooting position for a turn one Thunderbolt Volley. Granted, you might not need it especially given the long range that the Raptors have, but if the enemy is able to hide behind terrain, this becomes really important.

Wildform has a fail chance. It is pretty small especially if in Ghur, but together with the chance of rolling below 7 on the charge it does add up. It is also susceptible to being unbound. 

For these reasons, I am going Imperatant and Annihilators instead. 

All good points. Also not thrilled about the additional points investment. Does the Imperatant/Annihilator combo work in a Stormkeep list though?

A superb performance in a Polish 100+ player tournament for this list (I think it went 5-0):

- Stormhost: Celestial Warbringers
- Grand Strategy: Dominating Presence
Triumphs: Inspired
Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (285)*
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
- Mount Trait: Celestial Instincts
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Relictor (145)*
- General
- Command Trait: High Priest
- Prayer: Translocation
Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)*
5 x Judicators with Skybolt Bows (200)*
10 x Judicators with Skybolt Bows (400)*
- Reinforced x 1
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (480)*
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Aetherwings (65)*
*Battle Regiment
Holy Command: Thunderbolt Volley

Total: 1980 / 2000

Shootcast for the win!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The World Tree said:

Such a shame GW ruined the army with the FAQ! 🤡

trolling a strawman, yawn.

Also, if you really do have to troll your fellow players, it would save you some energy to limit the trolling to results which confirm your point, because of course shooting is not hurt by the "no move after translocation" errata 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, feadair said:

A superb performance in a Polish 100+ player tournament for this list (I think it went 5-0):

- Stormhost: Celestial Warbringers
- Grand Strategy: Dominating Presence
Triumphs: Inspired
Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (285)*
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
- Mount Trait: Celestial Instincts
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Relictor (145)*
- General
- Command Trait: High Priest
- Prayer: Translocation
Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)*
10 x Judicators with Skybolt Bows (400)*
- Reinforced x 1
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (480)*
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Aetherwings (65)*
*Battle Regiment
Holy Command: Thunderbolt Volley

Total: 1980 / 2000

Shootcast for the win!

Yep, the Shootcast above list went 5-0 and came second in a 104 player tournament (which must have been one of the largest we have had since Covid).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marcvs said:

trolling a strawman, yawn.

Also, if you really do have to troll your fellow players, it would save you some energy to limit the trolling to results which confirm your point, because of course shooting is not hurt by the "no move after translocation" errata 🤷‍♂️

But that list is hurt by no move after translocation!