Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

17 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

So, since SCE are super vulnerable to MWs especially since we’re putting an only an average of 26 models on the table, I‘d like to know if anyone found a way to make our units more resilient? Every MW hurts my soul when playing SCE 🥲

Gardus

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

So, since SCE are super vulnerable to MWs especially since we’re putting an only an average of 26 models on the table, I‘d like to know if anyone found a way to make our units more resilient? Every MW hurts my soul when playing SCE 🥲

Dragons have a solid wound/point ratio and 4+ spell ignore. Combine that with gardus or hammers for a ward save. Hero can be protected by mirrorshield or amulet of destiny.

Gardus or Hammers of Sigmar are probably your best bets for getting wards, but all priests know Bless, which also gives a 6+ ward. Since the Lord Relictor is a pretty good model regardless, it's always nice to know that you can use him to toughen up a unit when he's not busy translocating stuff. The downside is you need to roll, and it's just on one unit, but the upside is it's not locked to a Stormhost.

Edited by Dogmantra
  • Like 1

@PJetskiReally enjoyed the most recent episode. I was curious about your Hallowstrike list on two points:

Which mount trait would you take for the Tauralon if (hopefully) they FAQ him?

Would you consider running Drakescale armor on the Tauralon instead of Arcane Tome on the LRelictor? Or does that take too much away from scoring the battle tactic?

6 hours ago, PJetski said:

The Stormkeep Episode 4 is up

This time we're talking about lists based on our initial review of the book, including two lists submitted by people from the community

Come hang out in our discord for more community events like list writing competitions and hobby nights https://discord.gg/pF28GbESaz

Great content! Question: how viable are the lists if Translocation is FAQed so that the unit cannot move after it? Specifically, are Protectors still strong given their 4" movement? For example, would you swap Protectors for something else in the Hallowstrike list or the final list (9. Grandslammer by Martijn)?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, feadair said:

Great content! Question: how viable are the lists if Translocation is FAQed so that the unit cannot move after it? Specifically, are Protectors still strong given their 4" movement? For example, would you swap Protectors for something else in the Hallowstrike list or the final list (9. Grandslammer by Martijn)?

If Translocate is FAQ'd, then the vast majority of stormcast is no longer viable. Basically only Stormdrake guard lists would be viable.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Champasaur said:

If Translocate is FAQ'd, then the vast majority of stormcast is no longer viable. Basically only Stormdrake guard lists would be viable.

Maybe in high competitives tournaments... but they are going to be good unless SCE take another points nerf or the usual power-creep. Just looking at their warscrolls, stats and first battlereports, SCE can win even making big mistakes.

I was thinking about a vanguard list with a lord aquilor general for bonus flavor, but is it me or a imperarant is better ? Yes he is slower, less resilient and doesn't hit as hard but 1 free command per player turn is way, way, way better than one free command per battle round

Edited by ledha

8 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Maybe in high competitives tournaments... but they are going to be good unless SCE take another points nerf or the usual power-creep. Just looking at their warscrolls, stats and first battlereports, SCE can win even making big mistakes.

Oh for sure. When I say viable, I strictly mean in tournament play. 

2 hours ago, Champasaur said:

A problems with Scrions really being those 9" away is not useful aggressively like GW seems to think it is. 

Protectors and such will not be very useful and I already have no idea what the hype about vindictors is all about, as they do not tank or do the damage that wins games, just overall OK unit, that does not perform in the competitive scene.

Without translocate there would still be some options:

Ranged: Raptors and Judicators are both viable units thanks to double tap as well.

Infantry: Annihilators + imperatant combo will be the only working "deep strike" (do we have a good AoS word for this yet?) mechanism. 

Savalry: Drakes obviously, but even without translocate there is still room for Dracoths I think, they are just solid heavy cav all around.

I think the new Stormcast works best as combined arms the more I play around with lists, having a block of judicators or raptors seem to solve a lot of other problems, such as screens and picking off key characters such as demon princes of khorne, which could completely stop a melee army from doing anything.

A list I am looking at I think could still work without translocate or any of the new models is this one:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Inspired
Aventis Firestrike Magister of Hammerhal (325)*
- Mount Trait: Scintillating Trail
- Spell: Celestial Blades
Lord-Relictor (145)*
- General
- Command Trait: High Priest
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
- Prayer: Translocation
4 x Dracothian Guard Fulminators (460)**
- Reinforced x 1
4 x Dracothian Guard Fulminators (460)**
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Liberators (115)*
- Heavens-wrought Weapon and Shield
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (480)*
- Reinforced x 1
*Battle Regiment
**Hunters of the Heartlands

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 96
Drops: 3

I am warming up to the Tauralon and was actually first looking at this list with a celestant prime, then considering this was a hammers list anyway, it seemed to be more efficient to get Aventis, as he could initially buff up +1 hit on raptors in the shooting phase. He can also cast and unbind 2 spells instead 1 as the regular Tauralon, heal d3 wounds in your hero phase, his warscroll spell is better and even his staff got rend 2. I think that is a fair trade for the points. If not using translocation there are other good prayers for the relictor to do or he could be switched for an incantor og castellant for even more save stacking.

Raptors and libs could be traded to 15 judicators. This sacrifices a bit of versatility from having 2 units, so libs could just stand and hold an obj, it also sacrifices some critical range. The tradeoff is a bit more wounds but also dmg 1, which means the Judicators can deal much better with 2 major meta threats, which is Gotrek and Seraphon thunderlizards, as they all reduce damage from raptors by half.

Edited by Scurvydog

Im am struggling to find a leader for the warlord battalion to get that sweet second holy command.

The only options beside new dragons (which i am not a fan of) seem to a Tauralon or a a Stardrake. Of these two only the Tauralon seems to be an acceptable tax.

What do you guys think? Should i buy a Tauralon? Or is the second holy command not that viable?

42 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Im am struggling to find a leader for the warlord battalion to get that sweet second holy command.

The only options beside new dragons (which i am not a fan of) seem to a Tauralon or a a Stardrake. Of these two only the Tauralon seems to be an acceptable tax.

What do you guys think? Should i buy a Tauralon? Or is the second holy command not that viable?

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but any leader will do to fill the Commander slot, even a Knight Incantor or something. Only subcommanders have to be below 10 wounds, commanders don't have to be above 10 wounds.

1 minute ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys I just noted on new battletom, can we teleport with relictor and after move? Is that intentional? Thx!

Yes. It also worked that way in the FAQ that dropped with 3rd edition. People are speculating it will be changed in the upcoming FAQ, but for now it is pretty clearly intended.

Edited by Dogmantra
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, feadair said:

It would certainly weaken the list from its current state, but Ive been playing it with 4" move models (Prots or Evos) and no movement after teleporting for about 4 years now so I don't think it would totally kill it. 

I don't think the Grandslammer list would work though, the 9" charge (even with a reroll) isnt reliable enough

3 hours ago, ledha said:

I was thinking about a vanguard list with a lord aquilor general for bonus flavor, but is it me or a imperarant is better ? Yes he is slower, less resilient and doesn't hit as hard but 1 free command per player turn is way, way, way better than one free command per battle round

Yeah the Vanguard stuff is underwhelming right now. They didn't even bother giving the VANGUARD keyword to Raptors or the Aquilor.   

7 hours ago, Champasaur said:

@PJetskiReally enjoyed the most recent episode. I was curious about your Hallowstrike list on two points:

Which mount trait would you take for the Tauralon if (hopefully) they FAQ him?

Would you consider running Drakescale armor on the Tauralon instead of Arcane Tome on the LRelictor? Or does that take too much away from scoring the battle tactic?

Either Celestial Instincts to retreat & charge (though it wouldnt let you activate Comet Trail its still nice mobility) or Scintillating Trail to help reduce the chance my spells get unbound.

I went with the Arcane Tome partly to get another WIZARD for the Grand Strategy. I don't think I would swap it out.

Edited by PJetski

5 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but any leader will do to fill the Commander slot, even a Knight Incantor or something. Only subcommanders have to be below 10 wounds, commanders don't have to be above 10 wounds.

Yes. It also worked that way in the FAQ that dropped with 3rd edition. People are speculating it will be changed in the upcoming FAQ, but for now it is pretty clearly intended.

Thanks mate! I didn't knew that the commander could be any hero. That makes my listbuildung a lot easier.😅👍

26 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Ghurian Battlemage is 115pts and gives us a spell that can add 2 to run and charge roles, possible Ally/Auxiliary Hero??

As my other army are Fyreslayers, 4" move with 2" more run/charge doesn't change so much. What really would be great is running AND charging, that let's you maneuver slow units quite good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AR605 said:

As my other army are Fyreslayers, 4" move with 2" more run/charge doesn't change so much. What really would be great is running AND charging, that let's you maneuver slow units quite good.

yes and no. Yes, in terms of general mobility the impact is not that great withouot run and charge. But, if you cast Wildform (the +2 to charge spell in question) and then translocate, it increases greatly your chances of getting a successful charge if the enemy uses Redeploy. It still seems expensive for just this one bonus (which can be unbound)

• Like 1

Paladins would be pretty weak without some means of teleporting in 9" away from the enemy. If only SCE had some means to do that outside of translocation, combined with some sort of aoe charge re-roll it could totally do the trick since with more than one unit it'd be unlikely for all of them to fail. Would be even better if a particularly important unit could be brought in closer, like 7" or something. And I know a flat ability to run & charge or teleport mid-game without needing a roll would be too strong but 1/game abilities like that could go a long way if used tactically. Alas, SCE simply have no mobility tools beyond translocation.

(am i doing it rite? XD)

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, NinthMusketeer said:

Paladins would be pretty weak without some means of teleporting in 9" away from the enemy. If only SCE had some means to do that outside of translocation, combined with some sort of aoe charge re-roll it could totally do the trick since with more than one unit it'd be unlikely for all of them to fail. Would be even better if a particularly important unit could be brought in closer, like 7" or something. And I know a flat ability to run & charge or teleport mid-game without needing a roll would be too strong but 1/game abilities like that could go a long way if used tactically. Alas, SCE simply have no mobility tools beyond translocation.

(am i doing it rite? XD)

Tooth and nail and Apex Predator say hello 

• Thanks 2

Yes exacly. Traslocation is our mobility tool. You can play paladins list with lord imperatant and we got scion with 7" chargefor rerollable for a unit ( still not the best but with ann

hilators with shields not charging is not a big problem). 

Or we can play for exemple 4 fulminators and relictor to teleport and we got 4 fulminators easy 3 " to charge( opponent still redeploy but its still good change to charge) in my opinion teleport 10 protectors is not a good idea, redeploy can be very strong here.

I m thinking about chariot to add mobility. Seems a legit warscroll and interesting to  play. Its tanky ( strange for a chariot), good damage in charge and decent damage without it. It can explode with decent mw output. I wanna test it soon on tts!

Edited by Tizianolol