Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

23 minutes ago, Juicy said:

this just blew my mind, its already hard to justify prosecutors. And this even makes it harder. That extra damage on 9+ range didnt hurt anyone. Hated to see this go

Yea not really sure what they are thinking with the Prosecutors, they don't really fit in anywhere. Too pillowfisted to be shock troops, but their 3d6 charge indicates that is what they are meant for. 6 of them costs more than 3 paladors, which are just superior if pure mobility is the goal and just about anything else will do more damage for the points. 

It is a shame, I would rather have them as expensive elite types, expensive flying liberators is not really efficient in any way.

Hello, till now i was mainly reading great posts from you. 

I just want to ask why I am seeing +1 save stacking (castelant, all out defence, mystic shield..), isnt +1 gap in this edition ?

I want to paint some list and play with it for a while, so i did this list...I am not conviced for stormhost and I would apreciate some ideas with listbuilding. I was thinking droping Vindictors for some underworld bands and change retributors for protectors ??, and use spare point for some more magic, but i dont want to lose 2 units. Thx for reading ... (it scions of the storms)

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Lord-Relictor (145)
- General
- Command Trait: High Priest
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Spell: Celestial Blades
- Prayer: Translocation
Yndrasta, The Celestial Spear (320)
5 x Vindictors (130)
5 x Vindictors (130)
10 x Judicators with Skybolt Bows (400)
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Annihilators (200)
3 x Annihilators (200)
5 x Retributors (235)
5 x Retributors (235)
Holy Command: Thunderbolt Volley

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 102
Drops: 9

Edited by Matto3

2 hours ago, Matto3 said:

I just want to ask why I am seeing +1 save stacking (castelant, all out defence, mystic shield..), isnt +1 gap in this edition ?

I want to paint some list and play with it for a while, so i did this list...I am not conviced for stormhost and I would apreciate some ideas with listbuilding. I was thinking droping Vindictors for some underworld bands and change retributors for protectors ??, and use spare point for some more magic, but i dont want to lose 2 units. Thx for reading ... (it scions of the storms)

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Lord-Relictor (145)
- General
5 x Vindictors (130)
5 x Vindictors (130)
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Annihilators (200)
3 x Annihilators (200)
5 x Retributors (235)
5 x Retributors (235)

You can benefit from max +1 save but that’s after modifiers.

If your save is 3+ with +1 save facing rend 1, you go back to a 3+ (+1-1 Net 0 save modifier).

But if you have +2 save bonus you effectively ignore rend 1 and go to a 2+ save (+2-1 net +1 save modifier).

2 hours ago, Matto3 said:

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Lord-Relictor (145)
- General
5 x Vindictors (130)
5 x Vindictors (130)
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Annihilators (200)
3 x Annihilators (200)
5 x Retributors (235)
5 x Retributors (235)

I'm guessing this is a bit more of a casual list, in that case take things with a grain of salt, but right now this list got a lot of slow dudes in small squads and no Lord Imperatant. That means it is very difficult to get these guys anywhere useful, as the annihilators can't drop closer thanks to the imperatant and the relictor can only teleport 1 unit. Even though paladins are tougher now, slogging it across the board with a 4" movement will not amount to much.

I would recommend changing the 2x5 retributors to 10 protectors. They are great to teleport and much more efficinet in a big unit, both for commands, teleporting and they are also tougher with +1 saves, meaning with all out defense they can still sit at a 2+ against rend 1, being very hard to shift.

There is not much wiggle room unless you drop hammers of sigmar and go knights excelsior for paladin battleline, but without a lord imperatant, I do not think you will get much mileage out of the annihilators when they have to drop in 9" away. 

If sticking with hammers, it could be quite fun to drop the vindictors and 1 unit of annihilators and instead get 2x2 fulminators, those guys hurt like hell on the charge so bad even 1 of them might kill a behemoth on its own. You could then send them in waves with the relictor after the protectors lock down their front lines. 230 points of fulminators charging like that are better than even hammer annihilators, as they are much more mobile, hit harder on the charge and can be a bit more flexible during the entire game.

• Like 1

Hello guys I'm writing some lists but idk which one is good or just a dream, I need some help to chose which one is the best:

1'List:

HoS                                                              

Cartalos 300p

Lord relictor 145

Fulminators x4 460p

Fulminators x2 230p

Fulminators x2 230p

Liberators 115p

Vindictors x10 260p

Vindictors x10 260p

2000/2000

2'List

Lord Arcanum on tarragon 285p

Lord Relictor 145p

Judicators x12 480p

Vindictors x10 260p

Vindictors x10 260p

Retributors x10 470p

Comet 100p

2000/2000

3'List

Lord Celestant on Stardrake 500p

Lord relictor 145p

Liberators x10 230p

Liberators x10 230p

Vindictors x10 260p

Judicators x10 400p

Retributors 235p

2000/2000

thx for all your help 

3 hours ago, Matto3 said:

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Lord-Relictor (145)
- General
5 x Vindictors (130)
5 x Vindictors (130)
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Annihilators (200)
3 x Annihilators (200)
5 x Retributors (235)
5 x Retributors (235)

If you're going to run that many units of paladins you might want to go Knights Excelsior for your stormhost. Yndrasta has some nice synergy with 2 squads of retributors to revive, and with MSU you'll get some use out of the stormhost ability. But that isn't important. Retributors are strong without too much support, albeit a bit slow. If you want to be stronger in activation wars, buff efficency and translocation efficiency, 10 protectors might be the better choice. Retributors are probably more versatile for listbuilding, the block of protectors assumes other buffs/translocation etc

If going Knights Excelsior or 10 protectors I would suggest going for a warlord battalion to get an extra holy command for Unleash Thy Hatred. I would probably also put your key melee units into a hunters of the heartland battalion to ensure that Unleash can't be countered.

With the paladins fulfilling your battleline you could drop a unit of vindictors for a knight incantor, gets you your spellcasting and the auto-unbind scroll which is really good. I'm guessing you have all the stuff from dominion, if you don't have a Knight-Incantor, just use the Knight Arcanum, nobody even knows the difference. Can then use a defensive artifact on the lord relictor

One problem however is no lord-imperatant, that makes annihilators much less effective. If you're willing you could swap Yndrasta out for some smaller support heroes Imperatant + Incantor is 300 pts. 

Hello Guys, I couldn´t resist and started with Stormcasts and that´s the models I own right now:

Knight Judicator   205

Stormstrike Chariot  165
2 Fulminators   230
5 Judicators with Skybolt Bows 200

----------

Comes to 800.

Now I wonder what do I need to round out that force. We regularly play 1000 to 1250 points.

What is your advice for additional models? I couldnßt get my hands on a Battletome right now, therefore I can´t search for synergies or units that fit my collection.

Thanks in advance.

- Stormhost: Hallowed Knights
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: 

Leaders
Gardus Steel Soul (160)*
Lord-Relictor (145)*
- General
- Command Trait: Staunch Defender  
- Artefact: Mirrorshield  
- Prayer: Translocation
Celestant-Prime (325)*

Battleline
15 x Judicators with Boltstorm Crossbows (570)**
- Reinforced x 2
10 x Liberators (230)**
- Heavens-wrought Weapon and Shield
- 2x Grandhammers
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Liberators (115)*
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
4 x Dracothian Guard Concussors (440)**
- Reinforced x 1

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Hunters of the Heartlands

Additional Enhancements
Holy Command: Call for Aid

Total: 1985 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 104
Drops: 7

I will be playing this list tomorrow against a tree friend friend. Really looking forward to test the Gardus castle and the 15 Xbow Judicators (finally get to test them out after all of the praising @Juicydid😄).

Edited by Archibald
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ordered some Paladins for a list I am building. Gonna build them as Protectors and run them as a block of 10. I was wondering if the starsoul maces are worth it or if I should just build all 10 with the glaives? At a glance it appears the consistency from all glaives is desirable, but does Unleash Thy Hatred giving +1 attacks push the Starsoul maces back into "worth it" territory? Or are they already worth it and I am reading into it wrong?

Edited by DanteAlighieri

Just now, DanteAlighieri said:

Ordered some Paladins for a list I am building, wondering if the starsoul maces are worth it or if I should just build all 10 with the glaives? At a glance it appears the consistency from all glaives is desirable, but does Unleash Thy Hatred giving +1 attacks push the Starsoul maces back into "worth it" territory? Or are they already worth it and I am reading into it wrong?

I‘d go for 4 Starsoul Maces in a unit of Protectors, just for flexibility reasons. 

51 Attacks (if all 10 get to strike) or 31 Attacks with almost guaranteed 4D3 MWs is not that much of a difference against Hordes for example, but against something like Kragnos with All out Defense you will need those Starsouls Maces with Unleash thy Hatred to get him down. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

I‘d go for 4 Starsoul Maces in a unit of Protectors, just for flexibility reasons. 

51 Attacks (if all 10 get to strike) or 31 Attacks with almost guaranteed 4D3 MWs is not that much of a difference against Hordes for example, but against something like Kragnos with All out Defense you will need those Starsouls Maces with Unleash thy Hatred to get him down. 

Gotcha that makes sense. How about the order of pulling models as they die? I'm assuming I should pull 1 of the 6 glaives first to maintain the+1 to save ability, but after that what should I do? Should I alternate pulling starting with maces then glaives? Is the MW output or +1 to save more vital? Or is it more of a situational thing

16 minutes ago, DanteAlighieri said:

Ordered some Paladins for a list I am building. Gonna build them as Protectors and run them as a block of 10. I was wondering if the starsoul maces are worth it or if I should just build all 10 with the glaives? At a glance it appears the consistency from all glaives is desirable, but does Unleash Thy Hatred giving +1 attacks push the Starsoul maces back into "worth it" territory? Or are they already worth it and I am reading into it wrong?

For Protectors you want the starsoul maces, if you were going Retributors they're better off without them.

47 minutes ago, DanteAlighieri said:

Gotcha that makes sense. How about the order of pulling models as they die? I'm assuming I should pull 1 of the 6 glaives first to maintain the+1 to save ability, but after that what should I do? Should I alternate pulling starting with maces then glaives? Is the MW output or +1 to save more vital? Or is it more of a situational thing

definately situational.

If you need to survive you pull the maces, if you need to deal MWs you pull glaives. 

• Like 1

Hello, fellow armor-Thors!  So, I hate list building and am also bad at it.  I end up just grabbing whatever models and doing poorly. I was wondering if anyone here who actually LIKES making lists might suggest a decent one (2k) to me. I currently have painted and ready to go:

• lord celestant on stardrake
  • lord arcanum on tauralon 
  • lord relictor
  • lord arcanum on gryph-charger
  • lord castellant
  • knight incantor
  • knight heraldor
  • 10 liberators (sadly the old box ones with no grandhammers)
  • 20 sequitors
  • 10 judicators w/ bows
  • 9 castigators
  • 1 ballista
  • 3 longstrikes 
  • 5 retributors
  • 5 evocators 
  • all the stormcast spells

It feels like there should be something coherent in all that, but I haven’t found it. I should have a couple chariots too, but those preorders sure aren’t coming in, are they?  Anyway, thank you in advance for considering allowing me to foist my job on you ;) 

11 hours ago, Mark8 said:

Hello guys I'm writing some lists but idk which one is good or just a dream, I need some help to chose which one is the best:

1'List:

HoS                                                              

Cartalos 300p

Lord relictor 145

Fulminators x4 460p

Fulminators x2 230p

Fulminators x2 230p

Liberators 115p

Vindictors x10 260p

Vindictors x10 260p

2000/2000

2'List

Lord Arcanum on tarragon 285p

Lord Relictor 145p

Judicators x12 480p

Vindictors x10 260p

Vindictors x10 260p

Retributors x10 470p

Comet 100p

2000/2000

3'List

Lord Celestant on Stardrake 500p

Lord relictor 145p

Liberators x10 230p

Liberators x10 230p

Vindictors x10 260p

Judicators x10 400p

Retributors 235p

2000/2000

thx for all your help 

1st List: You don’t necessarily need the Vindictors or Liberators because the Fulminators are battleline in HoS. The points could go elsewhere if you wanted. 

2nd list: Don’t run Retributors in a group of 10. Their 1” range will prevent you from getting them all in to combat max Either run two groups of 5 retributors or 1 group of ten protectors.

3rd list: Honestly I’d skip the Retributors and bring the judicators up to x15. Then with the spare points upgrade one of the x10 Liberators up to Vindictors

11 hours ago, Archibald said:

- Stormhost: Hallowed Knights
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: 

Leaders
Gardus Steel Soul (160)*
Lord-Relictor (145)*
- General
- Command Trait: Staunch Defender  
- Artefact: Mirrorshield  
- Prayer: Translocation
Celestant-Prime (325)*

Battleline
15 x Judicators with Boltstorm Crossbows (570)**
- Reinforced x 2
10 x Liberators (230)**
- 2x Grandhammers
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Liberators (115)*
- 1x Grandhammers

Units
4 x Dracothian Guard Concussors (440)**
- Reinforced x 1

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Hunters of the Heartlands

Additional Enhancements
Holy Command: Call for Aid

Total: 1985 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 104
Drops: 7

I will be playing this list tomorrow against a tree friend friend. Really looking forward to test the Gardus castle and the 15 Xbow Judicators (finally get to test them out after all of the praising @Juicydid😄).

Hahahaha, let me know how it went! and dont forget to PRIME that big xbow. I went hardcore into sylvaneth yesterday. He had a hard time vs the xbow juds. Even tho his warsong killed a lot of Sce. 

I like how this looks. Not sure about effectiveness but it will look cool. All the drake things are spitting some form of MW. Currently my thought was Hammers but I could probably move them to something else. Make the Draconis the General to give me 3 battleline still so im still good no matter what.

Command Entourage:
Knight-Draconis, Amulet
Lord-Relictor, General, High Priest, Translocation
Knight-Incantor, Chain Lightning

Redemption Brotherhood:
Fulminators x2
Fulminators x2
Fulminators x2
Fulminators x2

Hunters of the Heartlands:
Stormdrake Guard x2
Vindictors x5
Vindictors x5

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

I like how this looks. Not sure about effectiveness but it will look cool. All the drake things are spitting some form of MW. Currently my thought was Hammers but I could probably move them to something else. Make the Draconis the General to give me 3 battleline still so im still good no matter what.

Command Entourage:
Knight-Draconis, Amulet

Redemption Brotherhood:
Fulminators x2
Fulminators x2
Fulminators x2
Fulminators x2

Stormdrake Guard x2
Vindictors x5
Vindictors x5

I think this list will do great vs most matchups

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Is staying as Hammers good or should I swap to another host?

giving fulms battleline is both good and bad.. Its easier acces for your opponent on scoring an extra vp when they have to kill a battleline, But on the other hand. you could totaly drop the 2x5 vindictors as they wont participate a lot, could also free up 30 points to switch them to liberators and go for that triump.

Edit:i used to LOVE celestial vindicators on fulminators but now im not so sure. I think celestialvindicators have something for them to boost that damage output of the fulminators still. Hammers gives you a bit of objective play. Im not sure our 2 fulminators doing a lot of overkill damage and really need that extra hit.

Edited by Juicy

2 hours ago, Juicy said:

giving fulms battleline is both good and bad.. Its easier acces for your opponent on scoring an extra vp when they have to kill a battleline, But on the other hand. you could totaly drop the 2x5 vindictors as they wont participate a lot, could also free up 30 points to switch them to liberators and go for that triump.

Edit:i used to LOVE celestial vindicators on fulminators but now im not so sure. I think celestialvindicators have something for them to boost that damage output of the fulminators still. Hammers gives you a bit of objective play. Im not sure our 2 fulminators doing a lot of overkill damage and really need that extra hit.

Yeah lots of battleline could be bad. But I figured lists like mine and the heavy drake lists still need units to hang back and hold stuff, hence the Vindictors. 

If i change from Hammers to something else I could Make the Knight the General and that would still give me 3 battline in the form of the 2x Vindictors plus the drakes. I need the book cuz I dont remember what all the hosts do

5 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Command Entourage:
Knight-Draconis, Amulet

Redemption Brotherhood:
Fulminators x2
Fulminators x2
Fulminators x2
Fulminators x2

Stormdrake Guard x2
Vindictors x5
Vindictors x5

So, I like Fulminators as much as the next guy, but I really don't like spamming 4 different 2 man squads of them.

Why?

Power application.  If you have a single squad of 2, you can expect it to put out ~19 damage on the charge before saves (12 to a 3+).  This is enough to clear a screen or a small elite unit, but anything bigger is going to brickwall them, and you have no way to retreat and charge, which means the following turn you are going to be doing only 10 damage before saves (~7 to a 3+).  Basically, a bigger unit can more effectively punch through something harder with less chance of being bogged down.

Second, fight order.  Combat is done in I go you go order, and if you charge with 2 units of fulminators, you are going to go with one unit, and then your opponent gets to go before you can use your second unit.  This leaves you with a pretty good chance of getting that unit either killed, or losing a model before it can swing and do any damage.  However, if you take and put them in 2 blocks of 4, now you can apply all the damage of your charge without having to worry about combat order because you just have that one unit in.

Third, buff application.  You are using the Relictor Translocation trick, which is a nice trick, but doing it to a single squad of 2 fulminators is a bit underwhelming.  A squad of 4 on the other hand is a threat that can take down Archaeon or a Megagargant.  In addition, a squad of 4 carries buffs better, whether that is Celestial Blades, Mystic Shield, All Out Attack or All Out Defense.  All of those buffs will only affect a single unit, and can only be used once per turn or once per phase, and putting them on a squad of 4 is more impactful than putting them on a squad of 2.

Basically, I'm saying that I think your list would be improved by running 2 squads of 4 instead of 4 squads of 2.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1