Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

Evocators worked in two scenarios: Gavcharging 10 of them or translocating 10 of them.

They no longer function in a unit of 10 due to loss of reach. They also lost reroll 1's vs missiles. +1 to wound spell is bad when we can already get that from Celestial Blades.

So they can no longer do the thing they were used for before.

Also, even if they could, we have better units for the role now. Other paladins. Dracoth. Dragons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maturin said:

I'm aware, still ugly :). The black hero from the first Warhammer Quest had a much better done face. Hence GW sucks at women's faces :). Maybe it's a scale problem ? Anyway that was just my two cents on something not really interesting!

its not just a scale problem their high contrast 'eavy metal paint style isnt suited to painting womens faces. Like check out the Sisters faces or the Drukhari faces, they look grotesque

• Like 2

Had a 2000 pt. game last night against Seraphon which I've lost. I tested: 2x5 Vindictors, Lord-Imperatant (Arcane Tome), 3 Annihilators with meteoric grandhammers, Lord-Relictor (Translocation, High Priest), Gotrek, 2 Stormdrakes and 10 Protectors (4 Starsoul Maces).

My opponent castled up his Lord Kroak, Oracle on Troglodon, Starpriest, Priest and Battle Standard Bearer behind terrain and 3x20 skinks, 2x5 Saurus Knights, 10 S-Warriors and let 2 Salamanders infiltrate later. I gave him first turn and hid a bit and the only exposed unit was the not-so-tanky Stormdrakes. I lost half of the unit to buffed skink venom (teleport) and a couple of magical MWs (although Kroak started the game with his first spell being a dud [2 ones and 2 MWs for him, his other spells got converted to summoning points]).

In my first turn, I scioned down the annihilators next to kroaks skink-shield and failed the rerollable 7-inch charge. The translocated Protectors attacked 2x40 skinks, the warriors and one unit of knights and I completely messed up the rolls.. 4x D3 MWs on 2+ netted me 2 MWs, 31 attacks on 2+ (AoA), 3+, -2, D1 only killed about 3-5 Skinks, 1 Warrior and no Knights at all. Bad save rolls on 2+ killed one protector. The Stormdrake failed his flame stream but successfully hero-phase-charged the buffed skinks (->no Unleash Hell) and the other knight unit and together with some vindictors thus scored the primary objective (only 5 knights contested it before and 4 died).

As my first turn was plagued with bad rolls, I took the chance of a double turn and charged the unlucky annihilators (besides failing their charge beforehand, they also did only 1 mortal wound from crashing down) into the skinks and the first one died to UH. Awesome. The protectors whiffed their attacks again and another one got hurt (at least he lived..). The surviving Stormdrake did nothing (and got eaten by the troglodon in the following turn) and Gotrek shreddered some more skinks (18 out of 20 in TWO turns and 4 activations T_T; I swear, my rolls are bad on a universal level) but 2 survived and passed their battleshock test in two consecutive turns. 

This is when the game completely turned on me and Kroak started to wreck me in their second turn. Celestial Deliverance wiped out half of my army (as every single unit and all 3 objectives) were inside of his 18" radius. The rest of the game can be told very briefly: Kroak took another turn to kill every stormcast safe from a heavily damaged Lord-Imperatant, a half-dead Relictor, 1 brave vindictor and 2 equally brave (but pillow-fisted) Starsoul Mace Protectors. And Gotrek. Boy was this dwarf angry. I guess that's what kept him alive (at least I could make 3+ Ward save rolls).

Together they killed Kroak in a single Combat Phase (21 allocated wounds) but they still could not kill the troglodon which first regenerated wounds and then teleported out of combat to contest the new primary objective. Well, the game was lost with 10 to approx. 22 VPs but Gotrek still did not die while the whole of the SCE force was massacred and beaten back to azyr. I like the new sturdyness of our golden bois, but MW-heavy lists still prove a big hurdle. Next game I will try out Hammers of Sigmar instead of Knights Excelsior and Fulminators (which hopefully will prove to be more of a hammer than protectors. At least if i manage to roll better.) instead of Protectors. Wish me luck, folks. On paper, the dragons sure are good but they have specific problems which were pointed out earlier and some army's will simply outmanouver you. If I could have I would have like to use draconic onslaught to fly over skinks and then attack Kroak or the other buffing heroes but it was utterly impossible. I should have used "unleash thy hatred" on the protectors in the first turn instead of saving it up until they were diminished by Kroak. Looking forward to testint Fulminators now. According to statshammer they should do way more damage while still counting for 8 models (to the protectors 10) for objective contesting and are more likely to successfully charge after a translocation.  

Edited by Kaleydoscope

3 hours ago, macrake said:

They no longer function in a unit of 10 due to loss of reach. They also lost reroll 1's vs missiles. +1 to wound spell is bad when we can already get that from Celestial Blades.

So the weird thing about Evocators is unlike Celestial Blades it CANT be used on Dracoths, Paladins etc, just REDEEMER

BUT it can also be used on any SACROSANCT, which means shooter castigators, and Ballistas (for rapid fire wounding on 2s). Theyre good, just not a spammable death star

1 minute ago, macrake said:

Big sigh. Was hoping I'd have them for a tourney 23-24th october.

Yea got an event for 09/10 which is now impossible to get a couple of drakes to. Then 2 competitive events in November which will be a true stamina test of painting, that is if they come up for preorder next and are not delayed even further... this GW release schedule is just infuriating, especially with 0 communication or expectations set, they just let people hope in vain.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

Yea got an event for 09/10 which is now impossible to get a couple of drakes to. Then 2 competitive events in November which will be a true stamina test of painting, that is if they come up for preorder next and are not delayed even further... this GW release schedule is just infuriating, especially with 0 communication or expectations set, they just let people hope in vain.

It’s honestly infuriating 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jhamslam said:

So the weird thing about Evocators is unlike Celestial Blades it CANT be used on Dracoths, Paladins etc, just REDEEMER

BUT it can also be used on any SACROSANCT, which means shooter castigators, and Ballistas (for rapid fire wounding on 2s). Theyre good, just not a spammable death star

You'd have a point if castigators and ballistas weren't trash tier. :P

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

45 minutes ago, macrake said:

You'd have a point if castigators and ballistas weren't trash tier. :P

ohh but theyre not, it just seems like it

A unit of 6 castigators in a sacrosanct themed list, empowered by evocators is 6d3 + 1 shots at  2+ 2+ -2 rend 1 damage
For 210 points that is pretty efficient

As for the Ballista the 2+ 2+ -3 rend D6 damage will terrify support heroes for 140 

Empowering the Rapid Fire to 3+ 2+ -2 1 damage aint bad, the problem with the ballista is mainly variance

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

ohh but theyre not, it just seems like it

A unit of 6 castigators in a sacrosanct themed list, empowered by evocators is 6d3 + 1 shots at  2+ 2+ -2 rend 1 damage
For 210 points that is pretty efficient

As for the Ballista the 2+ 2+ -3 rend D6 damage will terrify support heroes for 140 

Empowering the Rapid Fire to 3+ 2+ -2 1 damage aint bad, the problem with the ballista is mainly variance

Yeah good luck with that in a competitive setting. Spending 230 points on evos to empower 6 castigators or a single ballista? At current points, they are worthless if you actually want to compete in a tourney.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, macrake said:

Right, lets see how many 3+ win SC lists bring castigators, ballistas or evocators. I wouldn't hold my breath.

As someone who owns lots of Evocators, ballista and castigators, and no Dracoths, protectors or Longstrikes, and can’t buy any big hammer annihilators or dragons because GW won’t sell them, and somehow has to write an event list, this really hurts. 😔

Like where do I even start?

Edited by PrimeElectrid
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

As someone who owns lots of Evocators, ballista and castigators, and no Dracoths, protectors or Longstrikes, and can’t buy any big hammer annihilators or dragons because GW won’t sell them, and somehow has to write an event list, this really hurts. 😔

Haha, I'm in much the same boat. At least I have longstrikes though, that should carry me a long way. You could hope that I'm wrong and Pj/jham are right.

10 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

I got you, play this in Stormkeeps or Scions, its pretty decent

842476987_ScreenShot2021-09-19at4_03_10PM.png.abd3bb78936b0e4050a6120094fff60e.png

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Off the top of my head you could do something like this

2x3 Dracolines

Arcanum on Dracoline

Gardus

Ordinator

4 Ballista

3x5 Libs

1955/2000

Can set up as a castle, or be aggressive with Dracolines and drop Gardus into play near them for that juicy 5+ Ward

If you don't want to play Gardus/HK you could use a Relictor instead

• Like 2

Just now, PJetski said:

Off the top of my head you could do something like this

2x3 Dracolines

Arcanum on Dracoline

Gardus

Ordinator

4 Ballista

3x5 Libs

1955/2000

Can set up as a castle, or be aggressive with Dracolines and drop Gardus into play near them for that juicy 5+ Ward

If you don't want to play Gardus/HK you could use a Relictor instead

No Dracolines or gardus either 🤷‍♂️ 

Just now, PrimeElectrid said:

No Dracolines or gardus either 🤷‍♂️ 

Lord-Relictor (translocation, general: reroll, Arcane Tome: Celestial Blades)

Lord-Ordinator

Knight-Incantor

2x5 Evocators (or 1x10 for stronger Translocation charges)

3x5 Libs

4x Ballista

1x6 Castigators

1975/2000

Any stormhost works

• Like 3