Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

Hi, long time lurker.

Im finally starting my first army with 3.0.  Id like to use first generation models stormcast for the core. Ive got a few newbie questions base on the new battletome.

For my first 1000 points i was thinking

Army Faction: Stormcast Eternals
Army Type: ???
Points Limit: 1000 pts

Leader
    Lord-Relictor (TP/Curse/Bless)
        Battlefield Role: General
        Artefact: Arcane Tome
        Points Cost: 145 pts
    Knight-Incantor (Auto Dispell)
        Battlefield Role: Leader
        Points Cost: 125 pts

Battleline
    Liberators 
        Battlefield Role: Battleline
        Points Cost: 115 pts
    Liberators 
        Points Cost: 115 pts
    Judicators with Skybolt Bows 
        Points Cost: 200 pts

Elite (1 of 3 units)
    Decimators
        Battlefield Role: Other
        Points Cost: 215 pts
    Protectors 
        Points Cost: 225 pts
    Retributors 
        Points Cost: 235 pts

Endless Spells/Invocations
     Dais Arcanum (Either Relictor / Incantor)
        Points Cost: 55 pts

Core Battalions
    Battle Regiment (1 drop)

Triumph
    Indomitable (Battleshock Immunity)

Total Points: 970-990 pts

i realise this is list unlikely to set the word alight, and battleline like vindictors may be seen as better than liberators.  But is a reasonable army core in 3rd edition?

My rationale:

My choice of Paladin would change to suit the opponent. im matching 

Decimator vs hordes

Protector vs high rend opponents (defensive play style)

Retributor vs high rend opponents (offensive play style)

What other factors should i consider when choosing a paladin?

I chose judicators over long-strike raptors as my primary ranged unit primarily due to number of wounds.

I havent seen the new book yet so, im open to changing the Relictor’s artefact, but for now arcane tome lets him buff his save on the Dais.

What would you add next?  

I was thinking Yndrasta would be a good support piece in the defensive army featuring protectors. Meanwhile, Celestant Prime would work well as a free agent in the offensive army with retributors.  What offers further anti horde functionality?

Any thoughts on how this build could work. Which subfactions should i consider when i get the book?

TIA

2 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

Rules Question: 

If I give the Arcane Tome to my Lord Imperetant..

1. Does he count as Stormcast Wizard and get a spell from the Lore like other Wizards?

2. Does he count as „Lord“ for ranges?

RAW yes, but it sounds a little cheesy

That’s my understanding, yes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OG SCE said:

That’s my understanding, yes.

Well, I‘m having my first new tome match tomorrow - going for the following:

Lord Imperatant (General)

- Master of Magic (reroll cast)

- Arcane Tome (Thundershock? Spell that lets me roll for each enemy unit within 18“ (cuz he is a Lord) and on 3+ its -1 to wound)

For 175p I get all of the value for my Annihilators, a free cp and a buffed up Lord-Level caster! Sounds pretty nice. 

Rest of my List looks like this: 

Knight-Arcanum (Celestial Blades)

Vexillor w/ Apotheosis Banner

Praetors (to guard my General)

in a Warlord. 

1. Hunters of the Heartlands

5 Liberators

5 Liberators

10 Judicators (with Double Tap Command) 

2. Hunters

3 Annihilators

5 Retributors (+1A command)

10 Vindictors

+ pretty efficient General

+ nice burst damage with double tapping Judicators

+ almost everything is immune to monstrous rampage 

+ i‘m super hyped about new Retributors

Its pretty much my old List minus Yndrasta and Gavriel but with Retributors. 

Its a trade off I can live with tbh, as I dont like Yndrasta that much.

Bastian will be hard to fit in though, not sure whats going to be replaced for him in the future, but he is a MUST buy from the point I saw the preview of this awesome model. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lengthster said:

Speaking of the LAoT, and I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but does his comet trail affect himself?

I know there was a paragraph in the 2.0 core book that confirmed aura abilities do apply to the source, as long as the wording didn’t say “other friendly units.” Haven’t looked for it in the 3.0 core book but I bet it’s there. 

1 hour ago, Phasteon said:

Well, I‘m having my first new tome match tomorrow - going for the following:

Lord Imperatant (General)

- Master of Magic (reroll cast)

- Arcane Tome (Thundershock? Spell that lets me roll for each enemy unit within 18“ (cuz he is a Lord) and on 3+ its -1 to wound)

For 175p I get all of the value for my Annihilators, a free cp and a buffed up Lord-Level caster! Sounds pretty nice. 

Rest of my List looks like this: 

Knight-Arcanum (Celestial Blades)

Vexillor w/ Apotheosis Banner

Praetors (to guard my General)

in a Warlord. 

1. Hunters of the Heartlands

5 Liberators

5 Liberators

10 Judicators (with Double Tap Command) 

2. Hunters

3 Annihilators

5 Retributors (+1A command)

10 Vindictors

+ pretty efficient General

+ nice burst damage with double tapping Judicators

+ almost everything is immune to monstrous rampage 

+ i‘m super hyped about new Retributors

Its pretty much my old List minus Yndrasta and Gavriel but with Retributors. 

Its a trade off I can live with tbh, as I dont like Yndrasta that much.

Bastian will be hard to fit in though, not sure whats going to be replaced for him in the future, but he is a MUST buy from the point I saw the preview of this awesome model. 

I love that general. My thoughts went in the same direction, including the Praetors, but I haven’t formulated an actual list yet. Keep us updated

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phasteon said:

Rules Question: 

If I give the Arcane Tome to my Lord Imperetant..

1. Does he count as Stormcast Wizard and get a spell from the Lore like other Wizards?

2. Does he count as „Lord“ for ranges?

RAW yes, but it sounds a little cheesy

Forgive the question, as my tome won’t arrive until Monday. But what is the interaction with spell effect ranges and being a LORD? Is that just the particular spell?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Souleater said:

Forgive the question, as my tome won’t arrive until Monday. But what is the interaction with spell effect ranges and being a LORD? Is that just the particular spell?

Thank you.

Most spells have 12“ range for KNIGHTS (e.g. Knight-Incantor) and 18“ range for LORDS (e.g. Lord-Arcanum), same goes for the unique command abilities - probably to make the Lords more valuable. 

• Thanks 1

"Once per battle, in your hero phase, you can pick one friendly Stormdrake Guard unit wholy within 12" of this unit. That unit can shoot."

Saw someone on facebook say that this means the SDG unit can shoot later in the hero phase and doesn't have to shoot instantly. I'm not sure personally. Seems absurdly strong. Opinions? Thunderbolt Volley, for a similar example, has the wording ".. can shoot in the hero phase." So for that ability, it seems more reasonable that the unit can wait untill later in the hero phase.

8 hours ago, Maturin said:

GW hasn't been doing a great job with female faces, that's a fact. But I think this is one is really ugly, that's just my point of view :). Lena Stormspire's face was also a pain for the eyes.

Still my personal taste, I think some old metal cast or wfb mini were better when it came to female faces. But that's just me

I think the face is meant to be non European.

23 minutes ago, macrake said:

"Once per battle, in your hero phase, you can pick one friendly Stormdrake Guard unit wholy within 12" of this unit. That unit can shoot."

Saw someone on facebook say that this means the SDG unit can shoot later in the hero phase and doesn't have to shoot instantly. I'm not sure personally. Seems absurdly strong. Opinions? Thunderbolt Volley, for a similar example, has the wording ".. can shoot in the hero phase." So for that ability, it seems more reasonable that the unit can wait untill later in the hero phase.

Why does it matter when in the hero phase they can shoot?  How is it any different than picking to use the command ability in the end of the phase vs the beginning vs the middle?

If they're arguing that it can shoot in a different phase maybe thats a bit different?  But really not that game breaking either for a once per battle ability. Its definitely a bit vague and a RAW vs RAI argument for sure.

7 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

Why does it matter when in the hero phase they can shoot?  How is it any different than picking to use the command ability in the end of the phase vs the beginning vs the middle?

If they're arguing that it can shoot in a different phase maybe thats a bit different?  But really not that game breaking either for a once per battle ability. Its definitely a bit vague and a RAW vs RAI argument for sure.

Because SDG can then potientially recieve the ability, then get teleport somewhere by translocation, and then shoot. Would make it impossible for opponent to avoid the hero phase shooting.

11 minutes ago, macrake said:

Because SDG can then potientially recieve the ability, then get teleport somewhere by translocation, and then shoot. Would make it impossible for opponent to avoid the hero phase shooting.

They already have a 30" threat range in the hero phase once per battle.  Its not THAT much different if they get ported to a flank or fly over to it.  Either way I doubt thats the intended interaction so may get FAQ'ed.

13 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

They already have a 30" threat range in the hero phase once per battle.  Its not THAT much different if they get ported to a flank or fly over to it.  Either way I doubt thats the intended interaction so may get FAQ'ed.

The threat range on their hero phase shoot is 24". If they can shoot at later point in the hero phase, after recieving the ability, then that hero phase shoot threat range is basically boardwide.

So I'm trying to figure out a list for Bastian, but I can't seem to come up with anything tbh. (Or at least, no lists besides just throwing him in a dragons list). 

Mostly I think I'm just unsure of what we've got in the ways of Hammers and Anvils.

Hammers:

4x Stormdrake Guard + Knight-Draconis

10x Protectors + Lord-Relictor (Translocation)

4x Fulminators

Anvils:

Liberators, Sequitors, Vindictors, Protectors in Knights Excelsior (?)

Let me know if I missed anything! (I'm sure I did)

18 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Anyone going stormkeep and just loading up on battleline? Might be cool to have 3x10 Vindictors back up by a LRelictor and LCastellant. Stab stab for MWs

i'm trying to do this yeah, I got the Knight Judicator for extra Judi/casti support, going for Bastian and the dragons to use as substitutions if I don't like how my Soul Wars+Dominion collection shakes out. Got some hunters and raptors as well :) it'll probably end up a fluffy list but I'm not really aiming for 2k anyway

1 hour ago, mystycalchemy said:

So I'm trying to figure out a list for Bastian, but I can't seem to come up with anything tbh. (Or at least, no lists besides just throwing him in a dragons list). 

Mostly I think I'm just unsure of what we've got in the ways of Hammers and Anvils.

Hammers:

4x Stormdrake Guard + Knight-Draconis

10x Protectors + Lord-Relictor (Translocation)

4x Fulminators

Anvils:

Liberators, Sequitors, Vindictors, Protectors in Knights Excelsior (?)

Let me know if I missed anything! (I'm sure I did)

857724172_ScreenShot2021-09-18at7_24_36PM.png.c64ea298f803e2c43b6ddba39736ba2f.png

Maybe something like this

What is everybody's thought on evocators? 

I really loved them in our previous tome, even in groups of 5. But now that they lost the - 1 to hit for shooting and flexibility of casting other spells than Empower, I find it hard to justify them. Especially compared to the older Paladin units we have. 

I feel that if they would have the paladin keyword they would instantly become better, but now... 

4 minutes ago, Geoffreyvt said:

What is everybody's thought on evocators? 

I really loved them in our previous tome, even in groups of 5. But now that they lost the - 1 to hit for shooting and flexibility of casting other spells than Empower, I find it hard to justify them. Especially compared to the older Paladin units we have. 

I feel that if they would have the paladin keyword they would instantly become better, but now... 

So, loss of reroll 1s against shooting, grandstaves are 1" reach, no spell lore, empower is +1 to wound instead of reroll. Not only did they get worse, but all the similar options got better. Retributors have better raw damage with good rend, and do just as many mortal wounds. Evocators have the utility of being able to unbind, selecting a different unit to receive their mortal wound output (which is pretty good), and are 1" faster. But 3+ vs 4+ save, and retributors can be battleline and can receive the Knights excelsior subfaction ability. Also Unleash Thy Hatred is really strong.

If you really need some combat tricks, an unbind, or support for your sacrosanct/redeemers, evocators are okay.

Evocators got slightly worse and Paladins got much better thats the only reason there is a choice right now. 

There is nothing wrong with Evocators, they seem so bad now because they were an absolute nobrainer compared to Paladins before. 

They still do what they do, Paladins just got a real Warscroll now. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

I think the face is meant to be non European.

I'm aware, still ugly :). The black hero from the first Warhammer Quest had a much better done face. Hence GW sucks at women's faces :). Maybe it's a scale problem ? Anyway that was just my two cents on something not really interesting!

Edited by Maturin