Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

11 minutes ago, Yor said:

Well, I'm still throwing ideas around, and that's one of the things I like about the book: there are different approaches to take beyond dragon spam.

Stormkeep abilities are quite nice, and Sequitors are well suited to take advantage of them. You park them next to some objectives and you only have to worry about shooting and MW. I think they might work as good or better than Vindictors, as the +1 save won't help you against MW and good rending shooters, while the 5+ ward might increase survivality. Plus, if someone does get closer, you have your own Stormkeep MW plus some nice greatmaces. You could further desincetivize close combat by chosing Hallowed Knights, so killing a sequitor in melee means risking 2MW plus 2 attacks with 3/3/-1/2. Or you could take the safer route and get the Hammers 6+ ward to help against shooting and MW.

But there's no best defense than a good offense, and here you could have one or two squads of evocats sent via Relictor to wreak havoc among enemy ranged fighters. I myself would go for one feline party to be sent to against lower save enemies, while a couple of drakes harass heroes and more resilent enemies.

You'll need own ranged units to cover both your offense and objectives. Ballistae are still nice, or you could go for the tried and tested longbow Raptors. To cover the middleground you can probably squeeze some Castigators, as they are ok now. 

To round up, I'll add some heroes of choice. I favour the Celestant Prime just because. It's versatile, the added 4+ ward gives him a lasting presence, and you could deploy him turn 2-3 whenever he is needed, making your Stormkeep a little Sciony. The Lord Arcanum on dracoline would be another good addition, to be sent with the cat pack for some extra paw.

I think there are still many tricks to find out and the meta will change once and again. The book is not even out yet, and it will take some time of experimenting, which is part of the fun :)

I agree, rule of cool is the only rule we really need :D. Though poor Venator might still sit this one out. At least until he learns to one shoot heroes again...

If you spec that out I think you'll find you hit 2000 points way before you expect to with how expensive our units are now.

Here: I made this on Sunday to mess around until I get the book in my hands and try the app out

*Edit: the app's out today! I don't need to use my google sheet to mock up some lists

Edited by Sleepa

12 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

Anyone saying this battletome is weak are out of their mind 🤨

I don't think the consensus is that it's weak. It's just not complicated. It seems a bit narrow in complexity and opportunity to create tactical synergy. Of course we'll have to see how the new Cities of Sigmar tome affects the Stormkeep builds, but for now the issue with book from my perspective is lack of depth and SEVERE lack of internal balance.

Edited by Sleepa
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sleepa said:

I don't think the consensus is that it's weak. It's just not complicated. It seems a bit narrow in complexity and opportunity to create tactical synergy. Of course we'll have to see how the new Cities of Sigmar tome affects the Stormkeep builds, but for now the issue with book from my perspective is lack of depth and SEVERE lack of internal balance.

I agree. Maybe the reason we're less complicated than other factions is: 

A.  The power level/complexity of the game is designed to go down in 3.0

and/or 

B. If/when Cities gets a new book, we're designed to mix with them for extra complexity/power.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PJetski said:

He doesn't fit in every list, but so far I have found room for him in a Stormdrake MONSTER mash list (see the Drakecast thread) and the Hallowstrike list I posted earlier.

I could never find room for him in any list in 2nd ed, even when using Astral Templars and 4x Ballista he didn't make the cut.

Part of his appeal is MONSTER keyword for scoring Battle Tactics. He is basically worth 2 victory points every game just by being there if your list has no other MONSTER.

Man you made me reconsider my choices.

If everything goes well i might try something like this next monday against a very tough khorne list:

Stormkeep: hammers of sigmar, unique command ability: thunderous volley
Lord arcanum on Tauralon: general, staunch defender, drakescale armor, azyrite halo and celestial instinct
Lord relictor: translocation

4 concussors
3 dracolines
5 vindictors
5 vindictors
6 longstrike raptors
Everblaze comet

All fitting into battle regiment.

In this list my goal is to play arround the Tauralon, his simple presence buff the raptors to helo them hit and wound on 2's and make unleash hell on 3+.
His good save combined with all out defense, finest hour...etc can make him a good anvil on which enemy can break their legs (he can reroll saves against damage 2 attacks, has a good 12w and could be healed but the relictor in case of any problem).
Celestial instinct is here to make sure he can be wherever i want him to be at any time and fill this role.

The rest can stay in a defensive position arround the raptors that i can teleport away from danger thanks to the relictor.
All the army deals MW in some way and the use of staunch defender combined with the good saves of vindictors help me to camp ojectives on my side.

I hope it will go well cause my opponent found a very juicy army build on the internet and we're up for a bloody fight, he will play:

Skarbrand
Be'lakor
Khorne deamon prince
Wrath of khorne bloodthirster
Bloodsecrator

2x10 bloodletters
2x5 flesh hounds
5 wrathmongers

I'll tell you how it went, biggest threat is obviously skarbrand but i also have to worry about control abilities such as the deamon prince and be'lakor.
I'm puzzled about how ot deal with this matchup, i can take the first turn which is probably the only time i could cast the comet out of unbind spell but i expose myself to a double turn and be'lakor will shutdown my raptors for first turn but if i give first turn to my oppnent there's 90% chances that i can't cast the comet, maybe i should remove it....

Edited by jeanfluflu

13 minutes ago, jeanfluflu said:

Man you made me reconsider my choices.

If everything goes well i might try something like this next monday against a very tough khorne list:

Stormkeep: hammers of sigmar, unique command ability: thunderous volley
Lord arcanum on Tauralon: general, staunch defender, drakescale armor, azyrite halo and celestial instinct
Lord relictor: translocation

4 concussors
3 dracolines
5 vindictors
5 vindictors
6 longstrike raptors
Everblaze comet

All fitting into battle regiment.

In this list my goal is to play arround the Tauralon, his simple presence buff the raptors to helo them hit and wound on 2's and make unleash hell on 3+.
His good save combined with all out defense, finest hour...etc can make him a good anvil on which enemy can break their legs (he can reroll saves against damage 2 attacks, has a good 12w and could be healed but the relictor in case of any problem).
Celestial instinct is here to make sure he can be wherever i want him to be at any time and fill this role.

Glad you see the light about the Tauralon!

Unfortunately it can't take any mount traits, since the TAURALON keyword is not included in the list of valid keywords to pick a trait.

• Sad 3

9 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Glad you see the light about the Tauralon!

Unfortunately it can't take any mount traits, since the TAURALON keyword is not included in the list of valid keywords to pick a trait.

damnnit GW, i hope this is something they forgot and we can take at least the "universal" mount traits.
It's a shame cause this combo on a stardrake is possible and even more oppressive since the dude has 18wounds.... so it's not a question of balance or powerlevel.

Anyway thanks for the cruel but true reminder :(.

Edit: i'll swap the comet for a knight vexillor with TP in this case, so he can TP the tauralon out or even the raptors on top of the relictor.

Edited by jeanfluflu

After having had a look at the Warscrolls... Why exactly are the Javelin Prosecutors more expensive than the Hammer ones? And don't tell me it's because 18" is so much better on such a fast unit and they have the stunning damage potential of ... 5 if they have a boss. Even the ones with Hammers could do double. I mean even if the reach is further the damage is so abysmal. Is it to punish me for paying extra to get the better weapon loadout last edition? That must be it, since it's probably a punishment for me that my 3 Palladors which I bought cheap with Handaxes and painstakingly fitted with spears are now worse off than the option that lazy me should have chosen :D

1 minute ago, Fuxxx said:

After having had a look at the Warscrolls... Why exactly are the Javelin Prosecutors more expensive than the Hammer ones? And don't tell me it's because 18" is so much better on such a fast unit and they have the stunning damage potential of ... 5 if they have a boss. Even the ones with Hammers could do double. I mean even if the reach is further the damage is so abysmal. Is it to punish me for paying extra to get the better weapon loadout last edition? That must be it, since it's probably a punishment for me that my 3 Palladors which I bought cheap with Handaxes and painstakingly fitted with spears are now worse off than the option that lazy me should have chosen :D

3+ save mostly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frowny said:

Are people worries about bleeding VPs with the dragon heavy lists? They are solid but they aren't indestructible at only 9 wounds you will lose several. Some lists I'm seeing can easily.be giving up 5 VPs just from losing drake knights. That's enough to win the battle but lose the war.

Nah, the alpha will straight up kill one or two big threats first turn. You will give up a few VP sure, but you'll easily get those back by extra VP from battle tactics.

• Like 1

I am tinkering on a 1k list against Sylvaneth. I have mostly Oldcast and just got me that juicy Gardus model, which is actually awesome now.

I am deciding between this:

hallowed Knights

Gardus

Lord Relictor (Translocation)

10x Liberators

5x Judicators (X-Bows)

2x Concussors

or

Hallowed Knights

Gardus

10x Liberators

5x Judicators (X-Bows)

5x Protectors

What do you guys think? Concussors or Protectors?

1 minute ago, Archibald said:

I am tinkering on a 1k list against Sylvaneth. I have mostly Oldcast and just got me that juicy Gardus model, which is actually awesome now.

I am deciding between this:

hallowed Knights

Gardus

10x Liberators

5x Judicators (X-Bows)

2x Concussors

or

Hallowed Knights

Gardus

10x Liberators

5x Judicators (X-Bows)

5x Protectors

What do you guys think? Concussors or Protectors?

You probably need the bodies the Protectors give you, especially since Gardus can't keep up with the Concussors if you want to take advantage of their speed.

Are you planning to drop down with Scions, or use Stormkeep to let your Liberators hold an objective forever?

1 minute ago, CommissarRotke said:

I didn't think pallador javelins changed from being the better choice? they were always better for what's supposed to be a harassing cav unit

D3 damage axes are way better now. Especially since the pistols got boosted to actually do something

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jeanfluflu said:

3+ save mostly

I did miss that indeed.

What about Neave and the generic Knight-Zephyros. Neave always sounded kinda appealing for her hero-killing-power, it's sad that that's gone. What am I missing for her and the normal knight having the same points though... Yeah we can spam the generic one or give it artifacts. Is there any artifact in there that would give the normal guy a big enough upgrade?

1 minute ago, Sleepa said:

You probably need the bodies the Protectors give you, especially since Gardus can't keep up with the Concussors if you want to take advantage of their speed.

Are you planning to drop down with Scions, or use Stormkeep to let your Liberators hold an objective forever?

I was thinking about Stormkeep, so my Libs count as 3, which sounds awesome. And i could Translocate either Gardus to the Concussors or the Judicators to be in Range.

1 minute ago, Fuxxx said:

I did miss that indeed.

What about Neave and the generic Knight-Zephyros. Neave always sounded kinda appealing for her hero-killing-power, it's sad that that's gone. What am I missing for her and the normal knight having the same points though... Yeah we can spam the generic one or give it artifacts. Is there any artifact in there that would give the normal guy a big enough upgrade?

Could give it the arcane tome and flaming weapon? lol other than that not really

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Put them in units of 4. Problem solved.

Current mood: 

Army Name: Dragons
Army Faction: Stormcast Eternals
Army Type: Stormkeep
Subfaction: Hammers of Sigmar
Battlepack: Pitched Battles
Points Limit: 2000 pts

Core Battalions
    Battle Regiment
        Knight-Draconis (General)
            Battalion Slot Filled: Commander
            Battlefield Role: Leader
            Points Cost: 255 pts
        Stormdrake Guard 
            Battalion Slot Filled: Troops
            Battlefield Role: Other
            Reinforced: Once
            Points Cost: 570 pts
        Stormdrake Guard 
        Lord-Relictor 
            Points Cost: 145 pts
        Knight-Incantor 
            Points Cost: 125 pts
        Vindictors 
            Battlefield Role: Battleline
            Points Cost: 130 pts

Total Points: 1795 pts

205 points spare. Leaning vigilors to get that +1 to hit. Maybe a solo dragon.

I like it. I'm thinking KD, 4xSDG, 4xSDG, 2xSDG, incantor, LAoGC.

Relictor is great, but not sure it'll do much for drakes considering how mobile they already are. Although relictor+5 vindictors could be nice for stealing an objective. Incantor is a steal at 125 and can give out mystic shield or pull off something tricky with starfall. LAoGC is down to 195. Super mobile wizard to keep up with drakes, always threatens empty objective, cycle of the storm is fantastic and his healing spell is great with drakes. Celestial blades on 4x drakes.

KD, 2x4 drakes is the must have base imo. Leaves 605 points to play with.

• Confused 1

I'm thinking about something like this. Not to go for an alpha strike, but to have decent offensive threats plus durability. 

Army Name: Stormcast 2k/with Krondys

Army Faction: Stormcast Eternals
Army Type: Stormkeep
Subfaction: Hammers of Sigmar
Battlepack: Pitched Battles
Points Limit: 2000 pts
General: Knight-Draconis
Grand Strategy: Beast Master
Triumph: Bloodthirsty
Holy Commands: Steadfast March
Units
 Krondys
  Battlefield Role: Behemoth, Leader

Spells: Starfall
  Points Cost: 600 pts

Core Battalions
 Battle Regiment

Knight-Draconis (General)
   Command Traits: Master of the Celestial Menagerie
   Artefacts of Power: Amulet of Destiny
   Points Cost: 255 pts

Knight-Incantor
   Battalion Slot Filled: Sub-commander
   Spells: Lightning Blast
   Points Cost: 125 pts

Stormdrake Guard

Vindictors

Vindictors

Vindictors

Endless Spells/Invocations

Emerald Lifeswarm
  Points Cost: 60 pts

Total Points: 2000 pts

Edited by Sleepa
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Sleepa said:

D3 damage axes are way better now. Especially since the pistols got boosted to actually do something

d3??? ugh I really wish these warscrolls were in an album somewhere already. It's a pain having to sort through a phone app at work

addendum: the stupid app doesn't show up if you search "age of sigmar" on the playstore, only the old one. I had to go to warcom's article and click the direct link.

Edited by CommissarRotke