Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

1 hour ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

Tidbit of Stardrake rumour for Stormcast enthusiasts.

Presumably from someone who has gotten hold of revamped assembly manual.

+2 Wounds for both Lord-Celestant on Stardrake and Drakesworn Templar. 

But Drakesworn Templar now has 4+ Save.

Both weapons for Lord-Celestant(Hammer and Sword) now have Rend -2, with Hammer having Damage 2 and the Sword with Damage 1. The Sword has 6 attacks though. 

Stardrake's claws now have Rend -2 and Damage 2, whereas its tail is now a separate melee weapon with 3" Range, D6 Attacks at 3+ / 3+ / Rend -1 / Damage 2.

Drakesworn Templar's melee weapons stayed unchanged for the most part. 

His skybolt bow however now has 2 attacks instead of 1, hinting the upcoming buff for Judicators.

Sword, hammer and claws still same hit & wound?

If all these infos on stardrake and drakesworn templar are true this is a net buff to these characters (i'm a bit sad about the 4+ save on the templar but if his bow keeps the same rules and has 2 shots now i consider it a win!).

With stacking bonuses on the save our templar will be on a 3+ most of the time, he also got 2 more wounds and the possibility to heal each turn. Add to that the 5+Ward amulet and we get a solid beast, not unkillable but very annoying.

But imagine, we can make an entire army filled with dracothian guard, and this bow allows for +1 to hit against the target it has touched, pretty good.
Dracothian guard are also getting a net buff, more stable attack profile and could be taken as battleline.
This is a gameplay i like personnaly, select someone, mark him and unleash hell upon this foe.

I am not saying this is the best combo ever, we'll need the book for the complete profile, i'm just saying this is juicy stuff and it definitely hype me up!

Edited by jeanfluflu
  • Like 1

Keeping an eye on dracothian guards for sure, I got 4 nice concussors that has done a lot of work for me before. Currently painting up that vandus model just to use as a lord celestant on dracoth. Those guys as battleline and then drake as well in an army is for sure hype. 

Also despite all the dragon hype, I really like vanquishers, so probably getting a box of those as well. Painted up 10 judicators recently as well, so hoping the 200 pts we saw make them a viable artellery unit, and no 2 shots alone wont make them worth 200 pts, perhaps if they all did d6 hits like the prime...

6 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

Keeping an eye on dracothian guards for sure, I got 4 nice concussors that has done a lot of work for me before. Currently painting up that vandus model just to use as a lord celestant on dracoth. Those guys as battleline and then drake as well in an army is for sure hype. 

Also despite all the dragon hype, I really like vanquishers, so probably getting a box of those as well. Painted up 10 judicators recently as well, so hoping the 200 pts we saw make them a viable artellery unit, and no 2 shots alone wont make them worth 200 pts, perhaps if they all did d6 hits like the prime...

Yeah vanquishers and vigilors are really beautiful models, they will look great beside my sacron sanct army (i love the mix of drapery and golden armors, big win to me)

Edited by jeanfluflu

A 4+ save on the Drakesworn Templar is disappointing. Two shots on the bow is great for buffing Dracoths more reliably... Have to wait and see the whole book before drawing conclusions.

If they nerfed Drakesworn save there is a good chance they also nerfed the Maw-krusha save.

13 minutes ago, PJetski said:

A 4+ save on the Drakesworn Templar is disappointing. Two shots on the bow is great for buffing Dracoths more reliably... Have to wait and see the whole book before drawing conclusions.

If they nerfed Drakesworn save there is a good chance they also nerfed the Maw-krusha save.

I don't have any problem with a 3+ save maw krusha, as long as they remove the artifact allow him to worsen the rend characteristic by one.

as a stormcast player we have a variety of options to improve save rolls, orruks only have "finest hour" and "all out defense"

Edited by jeanfluflu

4 minutes ago, jeanfluflu said:

I don't have any problem with a 3+ save maw krusha, as long as they remove the artifact allow him to worsen the rend characteristic by one.

Mawkrushas is fine for their points at 495 and 14 wounds, you got much cheaper Frost lords on stonehorns with 3+ saves and 5 wards, Vampire lords on ZD with the same save and wounds and 6+ ward, not to mention Vengorian lords with 3+ save and -1  rend aura for 280 pts. We could go on, how about Gotrek at 430 with 3+ ward and reduce all dmg to 1? Leviadons with 2+ saves for 380 pts, Alarith 3+ save ignore rend 1-2? 

Reducing rend by 1 is just ok, Amulet of destiny is way better anyway for all monstrous heroes.

If the Templar is 18 wounds and 4+ save with no build in ward he will not be used at any point if at 400 pts or above, unless he has some REALLY good abilities.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

Mawkrushas is fine for their points at 495 and 14 wounds, you got much cheaper Frost lords on stonehorns with 3+ saves and 5 wards, Vampire lords on ZD with the same save and wounds and 6+ ward, not to mention Vengorian lords with 3+ save and -1  rend aura for 280 pts. We could go on, how about Gotrek at 430 with 3+ ward and reduce all dmg to 1? Leviadons with 2+ saves for 380 pts, Alarith 3+ save ignore rend 1-2? 

Reducing rend by 1 is just ok, Amulet of destiny is way better anyway for all monstrous heroes.

If the Templar is 18 wounds and 4+ save with no build in ward he will not be used at any point if at 400 pts or above, unless he has some REALLY good abilities.

I haven't considered all these heroes, yes the soulblight heroes are inssanely resilient (also they can heal with their own abilities and use the heroic recovery as well as having a 6+ ward making them the toughest guys on borad right now).

If the bow keeps the same rules than currently i think it would still be possible to play something cool considering the possibility to get dracothian guards as battlelines right now.
again we don't know how it will work but with a +1 to hit you can laser beam the enemy target with the MW breath of 3 or 4 units before to send something to finish the half baked potatoe standing there.

Also we have currently no idea of how would the new tardrake abilities are working (rain of stars and +1 for friendly casters is a good thing, as well as being able to eat specific miniatures).
The eating thing is particularly good in 3rd edition because without a leader units can't cast command abilities on themselves (or even cast spells in the case of lumineth) so we'll see how it goes but so far Stardrakes were fine, not great but fine thanks to all these synergies with some specific lists (starcasts thread is filled with gold about that).

It seems like the Dracoths lightning breath attack no longer rolls to hit, since there are no missile weapons included in their weapon profiles. The Drakesworn bow loses a lot of value if it only effects melee attacks.

Need to see the full book to make any kind of value judgement.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jeanfluflu said:

I haven't considered all these heroes, yes the soulblight heroes are inssanely resilient (also they can heal with their own abilities and use the heroic recovery as well as having a 6+ ward making them the toughest guys on borad right now).

If the bow keeps the same rules than currently i think it would still be possible to play something cool considering the possibility to get dracothian guards as battlelines right now.
again we don't know how it will work but with a +1 to hit you can laser beam the enemy target with the MW breath of 3 or 4 units before to send something to finish the half baked potatoe standing there.

Also we have currently no idea of how would the new tardrake abilities are working (rain of stars and +1 for friendly casters is a good thing, as well as being able to eat specific miniatures).
The eating thing is particularly good in 3rd edition because without a leader units can't cast command abilities on themselves (or even cast spells in the case of lumineth) so we'll see how it goes but so far Stardrakes were fine, not great but fine thanks to all these synergies with some specific lists (starcasts thread is filled with gold about that).

It is of course all just speculation based on the current rules. We do know though that storm breath for Dracothian guards is now an ability, so +1 to hit will have no benefit to them. Perhaps they remove the breath entirely. 

I need that man reads book soon, the wait is maddening ;)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PrimeElectrid said:

IIRC we were speculating 7/8 wounds and @Whitefang said much higher 😃

Based on this, I wonder if the Stormdrake Guard may be close to Mancrusher Gargants in terms of design space. 

A large, expensive, single model unit, but if they're battleline you can take 3 that deploy at once, which are then considered separate units and count for all your battleline requirements.

4 hours ago, Sagittarii Orientalis said:

But Drakesworn Templar now has 4+ Save.

Personally, I'm not really buying this part of the rumor. A scale encrusted Strardrake toting sigmarite armor has got to be a 3+ save minimum. I don't know if GW would go all the way to a 2+ save, but I can't imagine them dropping it to 4+.

25 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

Personally, I'm not really buying this part of the rumor. A scale encrusted Strardrake toting sigmarite armor has got to be a 3+ save minimum. I don't know if GW would go all the way to a 2+ save, but I can't imagine them dropping it to 4+.

Having 2+ on a unit is very good but not game breaking, they only have access to all out defense and any rend 2 or MW will tear throught them.

Characters, and especially high wounds character can have access to easy 5+ ward, healing each hero phase, all out defense AND finest hour the same turn.
I don't think we'll see big monster character getting that much power, in the current state of the game that thing will be near indestructible.

Edited by jeanfluflu

1 hour ago, jeanfluflu said:

Having 2+ on a unit is very good but not game breaking, they only have access to all out defense and any rend 2 or MW will tear throught them.

Characters, and especially high wounds character can have access to easy 5+ ward, healing each hero phase, all out defense AND finest hour the same turn.
I don't think we'll see big monster character getting that much power, in the current state of the game that thing will be near indestructible.

That really really depends on what your faceing. Lets say your fighing Lumineth. Then haveing a 2+ save is pretty bad for you. Since  most dammage will be MW and will ignore your save but you paid for it.  On the other hand  when facing like say bonesplitters a 2+ save will keep you alive for ever.    GW introducing armies that push mw as on of their biggest sources of dammage really did a number on the game. Cause it leads to a state of play where saves are either to powerfull against most armies if they are cheap. Or to weak against mw armies if they are priced higher.  IMHO mw spamm armies should not exist. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Two more week as to wait guys 

While I am extremely impatient to start working on models, at least we should get man reads book in about a week now. With all those units there should be some content to dig into with the book.

I wonder how long they will drag the release though for the models, somehow I doubt they will release ALL the new stormcast and Kruleboyz in one go...

Do we have any predictions as to what Abilities each Stormhost will have? 

Do we think they will remain the same?

Really torn on colour schemes for my Dominion Stormcast, so hoping rules will swing it for me.

Current choices are Hammers of Sigmar, Hallowed Knights and Celestial Vindicators. 

47 minutes ago, Wraithwing said:

Do we have any predictions as to what Abilities each Stormhost will have? 

Do we think they will remain the same?

Really torn on colour schemes for my Dominion Stormcast, so hoping rules will swing it for me.

Current choices are Hammers of Sigmar, Hallowed Knights and Celestial Vindicators. 

I predict that the old ones are going away hard, and being replaced with weaker ones that often do little or nothing. Look at the Soulblight format and draw comparisons.

Hammers of sigmar might get a bonus for dragon units, like +1 to hit on the charge or something.