Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

3 minutes ago, boyadventurer said:

The foot priests have more W than a Celestant on Dracoth, whuuu?

Their logic is 6 + 2 for gryph hound baked into the profile... Apparently that counts for more than a Dracoth... Vandus seems more in line with 9 wounds, only 7 for the regular celestant for 215 is meh, especially when you can get a knight draconis at 255 who is a giga chad in comparison, so nobody will use the dracoth anyway.

Looking at protectors, they are insane. 5 attacks with rend 2 and 3" reach and +1 to saves in addition to their 3+ save. Grab a unit of 10 with Star Maces, they can have 4 attacks with d3 MW on 2+ and then 31 attacks with rend 2 dmg 1. If they use the holy order that is 8 attacks with d3 MWs on 2+ and 36 attacks on top! Go knights excelsior for potential +1 to hit and wound and make them battleline. Teleport them with a lord relictor on a 2+ and move them forward in the move phase...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

Their logic is 6 + 2 for gryph hound baked into the profile... Apparently that counts for more than a Dracoth... Vandus seems more in line with 9 wounds, only 7 for the regular celestant for 215 is meh, especially when you can get a knight draconis at 255 who is a giga chad in comparison, so nobody will use the dracoth anyway.

Looking at protectors, they are insane. 5 attacks with rend 2 and 3" reach and +1 to saves in addition to their 3+ save. Grab a unit of 10 with Star Maces, they can have 4 attacks with d3 MW on 2+ and then 31 attacks with rend 2 dmg 1. If they use the holy order that is 8 attacks with d3 MWs on 2+ and 36 attacks on top! Go knights excelsior for potential +1 to hit and wound and make them battleline. Teleport them with a lord relictor on a 2+ and move them forward in the move phase...

Starting to think they should have been called the Decimators . . .

48 minutes ago, PJetski said:

15 double tap Judicators do enough damage to kill most big monsters in the game in a single turn, even a 2+/5+ ward 16 wound monster. They are nuts.

Ballistae are good. Makes me want to try that WAR MACHINE list I made in Broken Realms

Vigilors are underwhelming.

How many shots they fire? They can shot down a Mega? And I suppose they can't get All Out Attack.

47 minutes ago, Holy_Diver said:

How many shots they fire? They can shot down a Mega? And I suppose they can't get All Out Attack.

15 judicators are expensive at 600 points and with all out attack they do around 14,5 average damage against a 4+ save (12 vs 3+, 10 vs 2+). With a double tap that should on average kill for example Kragnos.

Of course the double tap is only once per game. Could be good, not sure I would put 600 points into a unit of 15 of them though... Unlike DoK snakes, they are very slow and hard to reposition without translocation.

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

15 judicators are expensive at 600 points and with all out attack they do around 14,5 average damage against a 4+ save (12 vs 3+, 10 vs 2+). With a double tap that should on average kill for example Kragnos.

Of course the double tap is only once per game. Could be good, not sure I would put 600 points into a unit of 15 of them though... Unlike DoK snakes, they are very slow and hard to reposition without translocation.

So around a similar pricepoint to 9 Longstrikes + Aetherwings in 2.0, then. But with more wounds and Battleline. Seems a reasonable tradeoff. 

I'm thinking there might be play for 2x10 as shooting blocks, split up so to cover a lot of board, or 3x5, which loses out on CA power but is more MSU. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mystycalchemy said:

Vanquishers :((((

Stormcast weapons are just wildly inconsistent on what they do... Liberators with great swords got 3+/3+/-1/d2, I would assume vanquishers had that profile, sacrificing +1 save from shields to get a tiny bit more offensive power, but no. I see no reason at all to ever take Vanquishers and Vigilors at 195 pts is a hard sell, but at least they can give somebody else +1 to hit...

A shame, those models really look good, bu eh, going to break the bank on dragons anyway ;)

I’m still digesting this but… I see no reason not to go all in on knights draconis and stormdrake guard. These things are bonkers.

Everything else is just… oof.

Theres a gardus redeemers list, until someone kills gardus and it falls apart.

Theres a double shot list that has one to at winning the game, then falls apart.

Theres an annihilator Imperatant list  that functions the same as gav bombs.

Almost everything oldcast and sacrosanct got shafted. Heroes especially almost all lost something, got worse, or went up in price.

Lord exorcist at 175. What is this madness.

Edited by PrimeElectrid
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

11 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

Stormcast weapons are just wildly inconsistent on what they do... Liberators with great swords got 3+/3+/-1/d2, I would assume vanquishers had that profile, sacrificing +1 save from shields to get a tiny bit more offensive power, but no. I see no reason at all to ever take Vanquishers and Vigilors at 195 pts is a hard sell, but at least they can give somebody else +1 to hit...

A shame, those models really look good, bu eh, going to break the bank on dragons anyway ;)

Yeah, im disappointed. Im getting vanquishers, they look too cool not to, but the rules are sad :(

why not just take protectors for a higher price to get -2 rend, 5 attacks vs everyone, and an extra wound per model?

4 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

I’m still digesting this but… I see no reason not to go all in on knights draconis and stormdrake guard. These things are bonkers.

Everything else is just… oof.

Theres a gardus redeemers list, until someone kills gardus and it falls apart.

Theres a double shot list that has one to at winning the game, then falls apart.

Theres an annihilator Imperatant list  that functions the same as gav bombs.

Almost everything oldcast and sacrosanct got shafted. Heroes especially almost all lost something, got worse, or went up in price.

Lord exorcist at 175. What is this madness.

This probable will be most meta list. Shrug. 

14 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

I dunno, because you can deepstrike Annihilators 7" away from enemy, deal AOE mortals on drop and a built in rerollable charge?

For the same reason that Gav bombs struggled: screening and tooth and nail.*

I don’t see more tools to remove screens and you want tooth and nail in the battleplan because kruleboyz are going to be pushing your stuff into reserve.

*except there’s one more reason now as dragon knights exist and they are incredible 

13 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

For the same reason that Gav bombs struggled: screening and tooth and nail.*

I don’t see more tools to remove screens and you want tooth and nail in the battleplan because kruleboyz are going to be pushing your stuff into reserve.

*except there’s one more reason now as dragon knights exist and they are incredible 

Gav bombs were generally all-in on the strategy, dedicating a huge part of the army to making it work, and against opponents who could screen well it was a huge liability. Having 1-3 units that you really want to deepstrike is not nearly such a liability. Ask any DoK player how useful it is to have even one unit of Khainite Shadowstalkers or Khinerai. Just the threat is very impactful, and even one unit of Annihilators will really strain your opponent's deployment. From my point of view this is synergistic with the new hotness (Fulminators, Stormdrake Guard). These units are also going to be more effective if you can clear screens or force the opponent to leave gaps in their screens. As the opponent moves up the board it will be more and more difficult for them to screen everywhere. If you don't have anything to deepstrike your opponent can concentrate screens more effectively. Few armies have enough chaff to screen in 360 degrees.

Tooth and Nail is definitely a thing, but it's just one battleplan. Not every tournament will use it, and even those that do it's hardly crippling to have a few hundred points tied up in stuff that is worse but not completely terrible if you can't deepstrike.

40 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Overall I am pretty happy with the new book though prices are about 20% too high on the older units.

I am sad about the Lord Heraldor losing his retreat and charge. Overall most heroes seem redundant now. The army will struggle to get enough bodies on the table and your list will pretty fast get to 2k points. Meaning one can't afford heroes that don't really do anything well, especially if they're too highly priced.

Apart from that I am seeing myself playing a list with one chariot, 5 Vigilors, 2 Drakes, 1 Hero Drake, the God Drake and some foot sloggers like Annihalators, Protectors and Vindictors. Maybe some dracoths.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Magnusaur said:

I haven't played much of 3rd and especially not with big models but I struggle to see how 2" could ever beat twice the amount of attacks. Shame, I like the lances more. I like how every Thunderstrike unit has its own kind of weaponry.

Lances have more rend and dmg 2. I think they are better. 

• Thanks 1

From my first impression the book is nice. I really like the option to choose either Stormkeep or Scions of the Storm. Basically it is a new Alligience Ability to pick from. I like also that we have less Enchancements compared to 2.0 book. They removed all the cloggy useless stuff noone picked anyway.

As for Warscrolls: I agree on many heroes beeing pointess picks due to internal balance suffering too many choices. Still I see them played outside of competetive minded groups. In general it feels like most Warscrolls bring something usefull or even unique. I like how versatile the army is and how mixed it can be played. I think I will go for some sort of shooty list with the new bow guys (markerlights), some longstrikes and maybe Paladors.

• Like 1