Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

On 7/12/2022 at 9:38 PM, feadair said:

Have there been any successful Stormcast lists since the nerfs? There have been at least a few two-day tournaments with a decent number of players (From the Ashes, Kingdom of Skrappa Spill, South Coast Series, Summer on the Coast), but no Stormcast success that I have been able to detect. But perhaps I am missing something?

At one of the lastest tournaments articles at Goonhammer they write about 2 very different Stormcasts lists to decide the winner of one of those tournaments:

https://www.goonhammer.com/competitive-innovations-in-the-mortal-realms-analysing-armies-in-aqshy/

I moved over to my NH for a bit when their book came out. Started up with SCE again though as have a couple tournies coming up and want to have a low model count. Played my first game in a while with them against, ironically, NH. Lost the game but had great fun doing so. Gonna focus moving forward on developing my grandhammers list. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 11:52 PM, Jaskier said:

how's everyone's hobby going?

It's been pretty quiet over here. Our competitive people formed their own group so no "real" tests on my end. Some interesting fights with stormkeeps vs skaven and slyvaneth though. I finished building my warcraft stormkeep army and started a dark elf themed, scions of the storm, force. ... I don't have an obsession for conversions ... That's crazy talk. Currently working on a chariot and annihilators made from the male dracoline riders. ... Crazy talk.

Competitively, I feel that scions are better, (mobility and denial are king) but I also like the slow grind approach. I find that it keeps taking my opponents off guard. Take first turn and set up on objectives. Simply refuse to die and respawn as able. I need to get an invite back to the competitive tables to test out both my favorite lists. I may throw my current scions list against my current stormkeep army. See who wins. That's for later though.

I'd also be interested to know what y'all are working on! I hope you're having a good week! For Sigmar!

I've got 2 tournaments coming up end of this month and start of next. Running something like this:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar (Scions of the Storm)
- Grand Strategy: No Place for the Weak
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Knight-Incantor (125)*
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Spell: Celestial Blades
Lord-Relictor (145)*
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
- Prayer: Divine Light

Battleline
4 x Dracothian Guard Fulminators (460)*
- Reinforced x 1
4 x Dracothian Guard Fulminators (460)*
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Judicators with Boltstorm Crossbows (190)*

Units
3 x Aetherwings (65)*
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (240)*
3 x The Farstriders (90)**
3 x Castigators (105)**
6 x Gryph-Hounds (110)**

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Redemption Brotherhood

Additional Enhancements
Holy Command: Thunderbolt Volley

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 108
Drops: 2

I'm enjoying it so far, packs a punch, lots of versatility, plays well into everything so far 

I also tried a 12 fulminators list last night and I'm thoroughly whelmed, it's not terrible but it's (unsurprisingly) one dimensional 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 1:31 AM, Mattrulesok said:

Running something like this

Looks very deadly. How do you keep objectives though? I dig the inclusion of the gryph hounds. A shame they got reduced to 2 wounds. Always good to have both melee and shooting. What's the castigators and farstriders job? Glad you're having fun with it!

I wanted to get thoughts on my latest scions of the storm list. Something I haven't been able to get a good read on is the stormhost. I like anvils of heldenhammer for some damage mitigation vs non undead/daemon armies. The knights excelsior offer gally vet paladins and that bonus vs larger units. I more wanted it for the battle tactic of a gally vet killing a gally vet. Not sure if the extra damage taken is too much of a risk though. Insights from those experienced fighting more types of foes would be appreciated. (skaven, slyvaneth, StD, and nurgle daemons so far with stormcast)

List 1: 

Spoiler

Stormhost: Knights Excelsior, Scions of the storm

Grand Strategy: Have more units in enemy territory

Holy Command: Call for aid

**Warlord Detatchment:

- 175pts - Lord Imperitant - general, shock and awe, mirror shield

- 205pts - knight judicator

- 205pts knight judicator

- 125pts knight incantor

- 65pts - 3 aetherwings

- 65pts - 3 aetherwings

% -Expert Conquerors: 

- 115pts - 5 liberators - shields, grand weapon

- 125pts - vanquishers

- 230pts - 5 retributors (no starsouls)

#Bounty Hunters: 

- 165pts - stormstrike chariot - spear

- 240pts - 3 grand hammer annihilators

List 2:  Had another very similar list. Feels like it'll do brutal damage. I don't like not having a wizard though. No changes needed to switch between stormhosts. The dreaded purple sun meta could make it a glaring weakness.

Spoiler

Stormhost: Knights Excelsior, Scions of the storm

Grand Strategy: Have more units in enemy territory

Holy Command: Call for aid, Thunderstrike volley

- 240pts - 3 vanguard raptors

**Warlord Detatchment: - Holy command

- 175pts - Lord Imperitant - general, shock and awe, mirror shield

- 205pts - knight judicator

- 205pts knight judicator

- 65pts - 3 aetherwings

- 65pts - 3 aetherwings

% -Expert Conquerors: 

- 130pts - vindictors - banner

#Bounty Hunters: 

- 165pts - stormstrike chariot - spear

Any advice would be appreciated and have a lovely weekend!

For Sigmar!!

Not having a wizard is going to hurt with so many Purple Suns going around... well, I guess it depends on your local meta.

I have a question of my own, what's the consensus on Battle Regiment for Stormcasts? I really want to run Liberators in Expert Conquerors, but I'm not sure if having 3 or 4 drops is enough to make a difference or should I just scrap it and go full Bounty Hunters and Command Entourage for another holy command?

I feel like some lists can get away with no Incantor. For example, I'm looking at a list that has a Lord Relictor with Arcane Tome, an Imperatant, 3x3 Annihilators, 2x5 Liberators and 1x6 + 1x3 Longstrikes. I'm not concerned about a Purple Sun or etc because the idea is my hammers get 'delivered' before they are hit back (and I expect them to die after they are delivered anyway) while the Raptors play keepaway, using Translocate and Liberator screens to survive. Most lists probably should think about it very strongly though. 

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, lare2 said:

Purple Sun really doesn't bother me. I run an Incantor, Relictor and Imperatant. I'm not that bothered if any get insta-killed... it's not game breaking. 

yes and no. Losing the (otherwise pretty safe) relictor can be a big blow, and even losing one dracothian guard/stormstrike chariot/annihilator/raptor/stormdrake guard (although this one is half as likely) can be impactful. Considering that this comes on top of the actually very powerful effect (-1 saves), the spell is probably at least undercosted by a fair margin

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, how do you guys rate the Krondspine for Stormcast in your games? The big lug getting a seperate release has really piqued my interest, but I'm not sure if the role it fills is one Stormcast actually want filled in most cases (or that 2 Stormdrakes couldn't semi-fill.) I know how strong it is elsewhere like in Slaanesh but not sure how well it fits a typical Stormcast list. 

Edited by Jaskier

20 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Hi all,

just a short question: Are the (now) seperately sold Vindictors the same models like the ones in the 3rd edition starter set?

Do they have 1 or 2 banners in the sprue per 10 men troop?

Yes, they're identical. I found that very disappointing. Consequently, you can choose to have 2 banners, just like the starter boxes. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 11:51 AM, Jaskier said:

Out of curiosity, how do you guys rate the Krondspine for Stormcast in your games

I haven't used it with stormcast, but in an army strapped for points it's a hard sell. It has overlap with fulminators and dragons. I could picture some cavalry force rolling around with it and that working. (Awfully small army) Stormcast just have enough overlap that many would think it better to stick in our book for similar points. 

It could work. Who doesn't love a 2 turn Morathi stomping around? It's very deadly and if your opponent doesn't have shooting or get lucky, it can solo an entire army. (If you're careful) Stormcast just have a number of equal or better hammer units for similar or less points. It also can't deepstrike. In a stormkeep army I think it could be good.                                             Those are my thoughts without having tested any of it.

Hey guys what do you think of this list? I’m desperate for a semi-competitive Sacrosanct themed list for Facehammer GT in six weeks and I think this is the Strongest I can come up with from the models I have painted. It basically revolves around a Lauchon Evo-bomb to get them up close, whilst Vandus buffs the Sequitors. It also has movement options with Translocation. I just just want an army that can kill things!

Suggestions welcome, I still have time to paint a couple of things.

Let’s talk about Seqs…and Evos 

6012008A-8189-43DB-A9BF-8956CF73A4DE.jpeg

One minor optimisation note: you only need one troops option in Warlord. I'd say put the Castigators in the troops slot, and the two units of 5 Sequitors in Expert Conquerers. No change to number of drops but it makes them a little bit better at holding objectives.

I think it's a bit of a scorcher but I'm not sure the Lord Relictor is going to do all that much for you. You have Lauchon already, plus the LA on Gryph's inherent mobility. Personally I say switch out for a Knight Incantor. With Purple Sun being so powerful and common, being able to deny it even just once a game will be huge. You also save the arcane tome artefact, either letting you pick up something else (I quite like steadfast march for evos on dracs although it always feels bad when you roll a 1 for that run), or swap the Warlord for a Battle Regiment and be able to control the turn 1 initiative better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lare2 said:

Do you have 3 more evocats and a battlemage? Lauchon one unit and mage the other... that'd hit hard. 

By the bye, I'll be there as well running my SCE. Excited for it!

No I don’t have 3 more Cats unfortunately- I don’t think I could finish them in time either- the last ones took me ages! I’ll definitely think about it though - would you say they are better than normal Evos?

Battlemage sounds interesting. What does he do?

what kind of list are you taking?

See you there!

Edited by Percivael
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

One minor optimisation note: you only need one troops option in Warlord. I'd say put the Castigators in the troops slot, and the two units of 5 Sequitors in Expert Conquerers. No change to number of drops but it makes them a little bit better at holding objectives.

I think it's a bit of a scorcher but I'm not sure the Lord Relictor is going to do all that much for you. You have Lauchon already, plus the LA on Gryph's inherent mobility. Personally I say switch out for a Knight Incantor. With Purple Sun being so powerful and common, being able to deny it even just once a game will be huge. You also save the arcane tome artefact, either letting you pick up something else (I quite like steadfast march for evos on dracs although it always feels bad when you roll a 1 for that run), or swap the Warlord for a Battle Regiment and be able to control the turn 1 initiative better.

Good points! Thanks for that. Yes I went to Mancunian Carnage last weekend and Purple Suns were pretty prevalent- about half the armies there have them although I was lucky enough not to face one. Battle regiment is definitely a good shout to reduce the drops too. I have a Knight  incantor painted so that won’t be a problem.

14 minutes ago, Percivael said:

would you say they are better than normal Evos?

Aye, Evos are still in a pretty bad place. If you could make them battleline that would solve a lot of their problems but, alas, you can't. Evocats, however, are still pretty savage. 

15 minutes ago, Percivael said:

Battlemage sounds interesting. What does he do?

Battlemage of Ghur adds 2" to the charge roll. Can cause all kinds of mayhem. 

17 minutes ago, Percivael said:

what kind of list are you taking?

I'll be bringing my Annhilators. Love them. Aiming for something along the lines of the following:

Knight-Incantor, Lord-Imperatant, Lord-Relictor, Vindictors x5, Grandhammers 3x3, birds x3, prosecutors x3, longstrike 2x3.

This will be 2 drops. I find GV to be a trap and 2 drops almost guarantees you priority first turn. 

• Like 1

Just now, lare2 said:

Battlemage of Ghur adds 2" to the charge roll. Can cause all kinds of mayhem.

To add to this: it's a cities of sigmar model, so not strictly keeping in the sacrosanct theme. The spell also adds 2 to run rolls, which is a nice combo with Steadfast March for 4" extra threat range.

• Like 2

Here’s my long planned and finally executed female Lord Celestant conversion for my Sacrosanct themed Stormcast. I’ll also be using her as my Vandus Hammerhand (Vandessa Bladehand?) It was made using the Astreia Solbright body on Vandus’s Dracoth along with a load of other Stormcast spares and a Dark aelf banner. The hardest part was removing the Vandus legs. She has a little “Servo Skull” friend to take the reigns whilst she delivers righteous wrath!

95FC95B8-0C54-4DFE-8B3C-22A479BF7475.jpeg

9D5FD4D4-65E0-4461-BE78-E1EFCADB6405.jpeg

F74B8786-E6F7-43CE-8F28-3CB2D4971F39.jpeg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 5