Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

32 minutes ago, Adammck66 said:

So if I just got one, what would you recommend adding? I do like Vigilor's and the Judicator Hero, but they are so expensive poins-wise.

Vigilors right now are probably better served in Warcry itself. The Knight-Judicator is a much stronger pick for points cost than people originally theorycrafted. So you can't go wrong with adding a KJ, and if you want cheap ranged you can pick up some monetarily cheap castigators secondhand. For competitively stong picks: add a box of Vanguard Raptors, or even a block of 10 judis.

Edited by CommissarRotke

1 hour ago, Fuxxx said:

Tell me, which Cities of Sigmar units might be worth allying in? Are there any humans worth it?

Not yet actually tried it, but I am planning on trying a Ghurish battlemage for the +2 to run and charge spell to help speed up a slower Stormkeep list. Combined with the Run + Charge Holy Command or even Translocation for effectively 7" charges I think it will help to mitigate what you lose from not going Scions.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fuxxx said:

Tell me, which Cities of Sigmar units might be worth allying in? Are there any humans worth it?

Looking at Flaggelants for those cheap lives...

The only cities units really worth allying in (and not as a stormhost) would be:

Annointed on Frostheart Phoenix.  This guy gives stormcast a tanky, fast moving monster that also has a debuff aura.  If you bring him in a stormhost, he can also be given the arcane tome and flaming weapon, which is a big upgrade for his damage (and tankyness).

20 Phoenix Guard.  This gives you 20 bodies on an objective for 350 points, and these 20 bodies all have a 4+ save and 4+ ward.  This gives you a tankier anvil than anything that stormcast can run for a similar number of points.

Battlemage (ghur).  Battlemages are pretty good, and a few of them have spells that do things that stormcast don't otherwise have access to.  However, the Ghur battlemage is the best because he gets a +1 to cast (if you are in ghur, aka, you are playing a matched play game), and his warscroll spell gives +2 to run and charge rolls... which turns a teleport into a 7" charge instead of 9", or can get your other units up the board faster.

Everything else is questionable to bring, as there is generally going to be something else in the stormcast roster that does things better.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, readercolin said:

The only cities units really worth allying in (and not as a stormhost) would be:

Annointed on Frostheart Phoenix.  This guy gives stormcast a tanky, fast moving monster that also has a debuff aura.  If you bring him in a stormhost, he can also be given the arcane tome and flaming weapon, which is a big upgrade for his damage (and tankyness).

20 Phoenix Guard.  This gives you 20 bodies on an objective for 350 points, and these 20 bodies all have a 4+ save and 4+ ward.  This gives you a tankier anvil than anything that stormcast can run for a similar number of points.

Battlemage (ghur).  Battlemages are pretty good, and a few of them have spells that do things that stormcast don't otherwise have access to.  However, the Ghur battlemage is the best because he gets a +1 to cast (if you are in ghur, aka, you are playing a matched play game), and his warscroll spell gives +2 to run and charge rolls... which turns a teleport into a 7" charge instead of 9", or can get your other units up the board faster.

Everything else is questionable to bring, as there is generally going to be something else in the stormcast roster that does things better.

There is also that new Fyreslayer Dude that allows to rally on a 4+. Unfortunately his other rules have no synergies with SCE.

---------------------

Short question:

Why don´t I see any Evocators in lists these days? What´s wrong with them?

14 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

Short question:

Why don´t I see any Evocators in lists these days? What´s wrong with them?

Squishy, a bit unreliable since Empower failing or being unbound loses them a fair bit of power, and foot evocators being slow.

I run them fairly often (and just bought another 3 mounted ones), and they do hit hard. The thing is you have to hit first, because if you don't, that 4+ save means you're probably losing a couple of models at the minimum, and losing even one really hurts your damage output. The squishiness means you probably want to add some support with some sort of access to +1s to save, but that's more points you're spending that require you to have a turn first, potentially require succeeding on a roll, and most sources of +1 to save can't keep up with them.

The edge case bonus is that Evocators dealing lots of single damage hits is that they work nicely against Gotrek & the -1 damage from atacks vs Coalesced Seraphon, and people aren't that used to it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

Squishy, a bit unreliable since Empower failing or being unbound loses them a fair bit of power, and foot evocators being slow.

I run them fairly often (and just bought another 3 mounted ones), and they do hit hard. The thing is you have to hit first, because if you don't, that 4+ save means you're probably losing a couple of models at the minimum, and losing even one really hurts your damage output. The squishiness means you probably want to add some support with some sort of access to +1s to save, but that's more points you're spending that require you to have a turn first, potentially require succeeding on a roll, and most sources of +1 to save can't keep up with them.

The edge case bonus is that Evocators dealing lots of single damage hits is that they work nicely against Gotrek & the -1 damage from atacks vs Coalesced Seraphon, and people aren't that used to it.

Plus the Grandstaves going to 1” reach really hurts the ability to run a larger unit that would be worth buffing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, feadair said:

Plus the Grandstaves going to 1” reach really hurts the ability to run a larger unit that would be worth buffing.

When you consider their mortal wounds ability, however, it at least makes running them as a larger unit worth considering, rather than utterly useless. Sure, you don't get the benefit of their weapons, but their lightning is still gonna sting, and the survivability boost is nothing to sneeze at. Not the best option, but certainly not the worst.

This went 4-1 and came 3rd in a tournament in Australia (73 players):

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
– Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar (Stormkeep)
– Grand Strategy: Beast Master
– Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Lord-Relictor (145)*
– General
– Command Trait: High Priest
– Prayer: Translocation
Knight-Draconis (300)*
– Artefact: Luckstone
– Mount Trait: Celestial Instincts

Battleline
5 x Vindictors (130)*
5 x Vindictors (130)*
5 x Vindictors (130)*

Units
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (480)*
– Reinforced x 1
4 x Stormdrake Guard (680)*
– Drakerider’s Warblade
– Reinforced x 1

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Additional Enhancements
Holy Command: Thunderbolt Volley

Total: 1995 / 2000

Edited by feadair
Edited to reflect Jaskier’s post below.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

Is it just me or does the Knight Relictor here look AWFULLY like an updated Liberator? hammer not a maul, shield, and no leg cloth

Gobsprakk-The-Mouth-of-Mork.jpg

I've thought the same thing. Very close in design. I'd love it if an updated Thunderstrike Liberator mirrored that design though, looks freaking amazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

Is it just me or does the Knight Relictor here look AWFULLY like an updated Liberator? hammer not a maul, shield, and no leg cloth

Gobsprakk-The-Mouth-of-Mork.jpg

Why would they do that when they already have  Vindictors, they fulfill the same role.(literally, both in lore and in game) I don't think GW is going to spend money on changing already plastic kits. And no, it's just art.

Edited by xking
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, xking said:

Why would they do that when they already have  Vindictors, they fulfill the same role.(literally, both in lore and in game) I don't think GW is going to spend money on changing already plastic kits. And no, it's just art.

in lore they've said Liberators are mainly guarding cities now, I was under the impression that meant Vindictors were the ones mainly out offensively and with the Dawnbringers? Regardless, it still looks like a Thunderstrike Liberator. "just art" still gets commissioned with specific purposes in mind, GW still has to accept it, etc. Very weird they would have official primary art that is a mashup of two different kits. 

2 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

I've thought the same thing. Very close in design. I'd love it if an updated Thunderstrike Liberator mirrored that design though, looks freaking amazing.

Unfortunately I'd also like to see how the original kits would look with the sleeker armor, even if I don't want Stormcast to get primaris'd.

11 hours ago, feadair said:

This went 4-1 and came 3rd in a tournament in Australia (83 players):

– Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar (Stormkeep)
– Grand Strategy: Beast Master
– Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Lord-Relictor (145)*
– General
– Command Trait: High Priest
– Prayer: Translocation
Knight-Draconis (300)*
– Artefact: Luckstone
– Mount Trait: Celestial Instincts

Battleline
5 x Vindictors (130)*
5 x Vindictors (130)*
5 x Vindictors (130)*

Units
– Reinforced x 1
– Drakerider’s Warblade
– Reinforced x 1

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Additional Enhancements

Total: 1995 / 2000

I can comment a bit on this as I played against it in the last round! This was piloted by the 2-time Australian Master who has been using Stormcast on and off for years. He had been using a 3 or 4 drop list prior to this event but swapped to a 1 drop to try to guarantee the choice of first or second (in our game, he chose second.) The Relictor gets to Translocate on a 2+ re-rolling, notably in conjunction with the Stormdrakes to then use their hero-phase move to threaten the entire board. The mortal wound output is just incredible, especially with the Draconis-Stormdrake combo. His only loss was earlier in the event against the Idoneth player that ended up unbeaten in 1st place - and he mentioned that game was decided by 1 Namarti surviving to block his 4 Stormdrakes shooting the Leviadon thanks to Forgotten Nightmares.

The 1-drop proved the difference in our game as, especially thanks to the narrow battleplan ensuring I couldn't land anywhere near them even with the shoot and scoot (I was using Living City with 4 Fulminators and 4 Stormdrakes) it ensured my hammers could not get to his Raptors or Stormdrakes before they had a turn to maul me first - and maul me they did! Anecdotally, there were not only plenty of Stormcast in the top 10, there were plenty of Stormcast at the event full stop. I know at least three lists went 4-1 using Stormdrake Guard (whether in Stormcast or Cities) including mine, and all three Stormcast lists I faced had 6 Vanguard Raptors. Interestingly, Dave mentioned that he doesn't rate Fulminators as highly as Stormdrakes - at least in Stormcast allegiance - given the sheer utility the Dragons have (i.e. the Translocate + hero phase move + hero phase shoot if paired up with a Draconis) and the fact that their lower burst damage on the charge is offset by their much stronger mortal wound output.

Having just used both units in my Living Cities, I would tend to agree with him - Fulminators might be more "efficient" in Living Cities specifically if they can get stuck into a big target, but my Stormdrakes won me at least two games just based off their hero phase move, tankiness and shooting; the Fulminators aren't nearly as strong if you are unable to get into anything valuable on the turn they drop (which is a very real possibility depending on the battleplan and opposing list.) But yeah, I hope that helps give some insight on how that list functioned and the obvious power and popularity of Stormcast at the moment. 

Just as a side note, the final player count not including the bye-buster and a player that dropped out after one game (I dunno what the story is there) was 73, not 83. 

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 3

Something I've been playing with recently is the Everblaze Comet. I like endless spells as a concept a lot, and the fact this one has 36" range is so appealing.

My current experiments have involved Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger as a general, with Master of Magic & Scintillating Trail. You use the Gryph Charger rather than a cheaper wizard for Ride the Winds Aetheric - this lets you make sure that you can start out of unbind range for your initial cast and then either play keepaway from enemy heroes if you want to dispel and recast it, or simply teleport to where you need to be if you're leaving the comet in play for the -1 to cast on enemy wizards. CV6 with a reroll is pretty reliable if you're out of unbind range, which isn't too hard.

The comet itself does just under 3 MWs on average to everything within 10", and at the start of the game it's pretty easy to find a good location to hit 3+ units. If you're particularly lucky you have a small chance to just straight up delete a foot hero on turn 1 which might scupper your opponent's plans. Spreading damage, while not ideal compared to concentrating all of its damage potential on one target, does have its upsides - hitting multiple units and heroes means that it's not so easy to nullify with Rally & Heroic Recovery, and some damage will stick. I killed Kragnos last night with a couple of Comet casts and 3 grandhammers.

295 points is admittedly pretty steep. And to make it reliable enough for me to be happy with it you do pretty much need Master of Magic, which does mean you're not taking High Priest. I don't think it's necessarily a top tier option, but when combined with Annihilators it seems to be pretty decent. You have several big area MW effects, then MWs on the charge, with the Annihilators' own attacks being enough to finish off a lot of targets.

I don't own Bastian or a suitable proxy, but I think that he might be a nice addition. Currently I'm running Yndrasta with this list because she hits decently and defends quite well (plus a single liberator surviving and getting a mate back is always a great feeling), but I would like to try Bastian in that slot. You lose a little bit of mobility and defenses but you get a slightly stronger attack, another board-wide MW ability, and his ability to re-set up models means you can guarantee that your Gryph Charger is in optimal position for a comet even if you're low-drops.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that I like this spell. It's expensive, but fun. I think more people should try it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

Something I've been playing with recently is the Everblaze Comet. I like endless spells as a concept a lot, and the fact this one has 36" range is so appealing.

My current experiments have involved Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger as a general, with Master of Magic & Scintillating Trail. You use the Gryph Charger rather than a cheaper wizard for Ride the Winds Aetheric - this lets you make sure that you can start out of unbind range for your initial cast and then either play keepaway from enemy heroes if you want to dispel and recast it, or simply teleport to where you need to be if you're leaving the comet in play for the -1 to cast on enemy wizards. CV6 with a reroll is pretty reliable if you're out of unbind range, which isn't too hard.

The comet itself does just under 3 MWs on average to everything within 10", and at the start of the game it's pretty easy to find a good location to hit 3+ units. If you're particularly lucky you have a small chance to just straight up delete a foot hero on turn 1 which might scupper your opponent's plans. Spreading damage, while not ideal compared to concentrating all of its damage potential on one target, does have its upsides - hitting multiple units and heroes means that it's not so easy to nullify with Rally & Heroic Recovery, and some damage will stick. I killed Kragnos last night with a couple of Comet casts and 3 grandhammers.

295 points is admittedly pretty steep. And to make it reliable enough for me to be happy with it you do pretty much need Master of Magic, which does mean you're not taking High Priest. I don't think it's necessarily a top tier option, but when combined with Annihilators it seems to be pretty decent. You have several big area MW effects, then MWs on the charge, with the Annihilators' own attacks being enough to finish off a lot of targets.

I don't own Bastian or a suitable proxy, but I think that he might be a nice addition. Currently I'm running Yndrasta with this list because she hits decently and defends quite well (plus a single liberator surviving and getting a mate back is always a great feeling), but I would like to try Bastian in that slot. You lose a little bit of mobility and defenses but you get a slightly stronger attack, another board-wide MW ability, and his ability to re-set up models means you can guarantee that your Gryph Charger is in optimal position for a comet even if you're low-drops.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that I like this spell. It's expensive, but fun. I think more people should try it.

Yeah comet is still cool, the problem is that it's swingy and distributed, so, at least in my games, felt less impactful than it was in 2.0. I have toyed a bit with a list written in loving memory of 2.0 Starcast to maximize sources of long range MW (Comet, Prime, Slann). Bit of a jank, but I haven't found a rule which would stop the Slann from casting the comet, so you'd have the option of a +2 or a +1 rerolling to cast it, and the Slann's unbind is also very useful (being boardwide). Ultimately, my conclusion was that there's too much stuff in the game which is very tough and requires concentrated damage at the moment

Spoiler
Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Celestial Warbringers (Stormkeep)
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Inspired
Celestant-Prime, Hammer of Sigmar (325)*
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)*
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Spell: Thundershock
Slann Starmaster (265)*
- Universal Spell Lore: Ghost-mist
- Allies
5 x Liberators (115)*
- Heavens-wrought Weapon and Shield
- 1x Grandweapons
5 x Liberators (115)*
- Heavens-wrought Weapon and Shield
- 1x Grandweapons
2 x Stormdrake Guard (340)*
- Drakerider's Lance
3 x The Farstriders (90)*
5 x Saurus Guard (115)*
Everblaze Comet (100)
*Battle Regiment
Holy Command: Call for Aid

Total: 1965 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 265 / 400
Wounds: 84
Drops: 1

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 1

Speaking of Bastian (but not of the Comet), the list below is from the first placed team in a large team tournament in the UK (14 teams of 4 players):

– Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar (Scions of the Storm)
– Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
– Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Knight-Draconis (300)*
– General
– Command Trait: Master of Magic
– Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
– Mount Trait: Thunderous Presence
– Spell: Celestial Blades
Lord-Commander Bastian Carthalos(300)*

Battleline
5 x Liberators (115)*
– Heavens-wrought Weapon and Shield
– 1x Grandweapons
5 x Liberators (115)*
– Heavens-wrought Weapon and Shield
– 1x Grandweapons
– Drakerider’s Lance
– Reinforced x 1

Units
– Reinforced x 1

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Additional Enhancements

Total: 1990 / 2000

It is nice to see repeated success with lists that use some Stormdrakes, but do not just spam them.

Edited by feadair

And here is a 4-1 list from the Netherlands (24 players):

– Stormhost: Hallowed Knights (Stormkeep)
– Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
– Triumphs: Inspired

LEADERS
Gardus Steel Soul (150)*
Knight-Incantor (125)*
– Spell: Celestial Blades
Lord-Relictor (145)*
– General
– Command Trait: High Priest
– Artefact: Mirrorshield
– Prayer: Translocation

UNITS
4 x Dracothian Guard Fulminators (460)*
– Reinforced: Once
15 x Judicators with Skybolt Bows (600)*
– Reinforce: Twice
5 x Vindictors (130)*
5 x Vindictors (130)*
10 x Vindictors (260)*
– Reinforced: Once

CORE BATTALIONS
*Battle Regiment

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up 6 Vanguard-Raptors yesterday alongside Bastian and a bunch of Vindictors; I think I might have just earned the title of 'meta-chaser' 😅 

I have to say though, Bastian - in the two-handed hammer pose and with the helmet - might just edge Karazai as my favourite Stormcast model. He has possibly the coolest pose I've ever seen for a foot infantry model, it's so simple but conveys so much character. 

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 1

Newer to Stormcast. I really like two things about the army, the Drop Style lists and the Stromskeep lists. It lets me play the army two ways, super aggro and super defensive. I've learned a lot about the drop style from guys like, The Stormkeep YT channel, but have people here had experiences running super defensive Redeemers lists? 

I feel like as an outsider to the army, Sequitors could be a bit of a sleepr unit. I understand they are bit overcosted, but in Hallowed Knights Stormkeep Seqs seem pretty interesting to me, especially in min unit size. It's a grindy army. Seqs get to a chance to fight with their 3 hammers on death and can self buff themselves to respond to what you need, not always relying on the 5++ from the Gardus bubble. They also have a chance to do mortals when charged and die. Again, very grindy.

Any thoughts or comments on a list like this? 

Hallowed Knights Stormkeep

- Battle Reg and Redemption Battalion - 2 drop

-Call for Aid

LEADERS
Yndrasta, The Celestial Spear (320)
Gardus Steel Soul (150)
Lord-Relictor (145)
- General
- Command Trait: High Priest
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
- Prayer: Translocation
UNITS
3 x Praetors (165)
5 x Sequitors, 3x Grandhammers (145)
5 x Liberators (115)
5 x Liberators (115)
5 x Liberators (115)

TOTAL: 1995/2000 WOUNDS: 119

1 minute ago, Warbossironteef said:

Newer to Stormcast. I really like two things about the army, the Drop Style lists and the Stromskeep lists. It lets me play the army two ways, super aggro and super defensive. I've learned a lot about the drop style from guys like, The Stormkeep YT channel, but have people here had experiences running super defensive Redeemers lists? 

I feel like as an outsider to the army, Sequitors could be a bit of a sleepr unit. I understand they are bit overcosted, but in Hallowed Knights Stormkeep Seqs seem pretty interesting to me, especially in min unit size. It's a grindy army. Seqs get to a chance to fight with their 3 hammers on death and can self buff themselves to respond to what you need, not always relying on the 5++ from the Gardus bubble. They also have a chance to do mortals when charged and die. Again, very grindy.

Any thoughts or comments on a list like this? 

Hallowed Knights Stormkeep

- Battle Reg and Redemption Battalion - 2 drop

-Call for Aid

LEADERS
Gardus Steel Soul (150)
Lord-Relictor (145)
- General
UNITS
3 x Praetors (165)
5 x Liberators (115)
5 x Liberators (115)
5 x Liberators (115)

TOTAL: 1995/2000 WOUNDS: 119

not sure about the sequitors (still think it's a lot of wasted points) but I like the idea of the list. I toyed with the same build at the beginning of 3.0 just replacing sequitors with vindictors/liberators -the idea was "let's play like the Gargants, but for Sigmar". The problems I encountered were: 1) any AoE damage is really really painful (and in my meta there were Teclis, Warsong Revenant, Bloodthirsters); 2) armies that come at you fast in t1 might just lock you in your deployment, or just screen in front of the objectives if they are in the middle. You will generally out-grind them, but by then it will be too hard to come back in terms of points -also because this army has a hard time scoring battle tactics: no monstruous takeover, hard to ensure a kill for  broken ranks/bring it down/slay the warlord; takes a lot to set up savage spearhead... 3) it was pretty boring 😅

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

not sure about the sequitors (still think it's a lot of wasted points) but I like the idea of the list. I toyed with the same build at the beginning of 3.0 just replacing sequitors with vindictors/liberators -the idea was "let's play like the Gargants, but for Sigmar". The problems I encountered were: 1) any AoE damage is really really painful (and in my meta there were Teclis, Warsong Revenant, Bloodthirsters); 2) armies that come at you fast in t1 might just lock you in your deployment, or just screen in front of the objectives if they are in the middle. You will generally out-grind them, but by then it will be too hard to come back in terms of points -also because this army has a hard time scoring battle tactics: no monstruous takeover, hard to ensure a kill for  broken ranks/bring it down/slay the warlord; takes a lot to set up savage spearhead... 3) it was pretty boring 😅

I hear you, and I can see why it would be boring to some, not being able to kill much or go offensive. I feel like most 1 drop armies aren't the types that have enough bodies to fully block you on all objectives. 

Battle tactics and gargants seem like the biggest hurdle. I feel like when you do the math, Seqs arent that much worse than Libs or Vindictors. The 4+ armor is tough when compared to Libs and Vindicators but 4x Seqs is only 60 more points that 4x Vindictors. I think in this style of list the decision is Libs or Seqs. It's not like in other lists where the points matter more when your just using these slots to fill battleline. 

Maybe you say forget the 2 drop and take a more balanced list with some ranged support. You could go for an extra enhancement and do Call for Aid and Thunderbolt Volley:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hallowed Knights (Scions of the Storm)
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:
LEADERS
Gardus Steel Soul (150)
Knight-Relictor (140)
- General
UNITS
10 x Judicators with Boltstorm Crossbows (380)
3 x Praetors (165)
5 x Sequitors (145)
5 x Sequitors (145)
5 x Sequitors (145)
5 x Sequitors (145)
5 x Liberators (115)
5 x Liberators (115)
TOTAL: 1965/2000 WOUNDS: 109