Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

Trying to compete with a list based on dominion + Longstrikes+ Vigilors + Knight Judicator in my local meta but damn, that is some uphill battle, especially with Vigilors leaving little to no reason to be played at all at current point value. First iteration of the list was not able to keep up against OBR but was at least to shot down Katakross in 1 1/2 turn of Longstrikes. The new one will field the birbs as chaff/longstrike buff and instead of Yndrasta I pack some Annihilators. Todays Game is vs a fast and Mortals-Focused Hedonites list. I would love any sort of feedback or suggestions.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Celestial Warbringers
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)*
- General
- Command Trait: Skilled Leader
Lord-Imperatant (175)*
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Spell: Celestial Blades
Knight-Vexillor with Banner of Apotheosis (160)
5 x Vigilors (195)**
5 x Vindictors (130)**
5 x Vigilors (195)**
5 x Vindictors (130)**
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (480)*
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Annihilators (200)
3 x Aetherwings (65)**
3 x Aetherwings (65)**
*Warlord
**Redemption Brotherhood
Holy Command: Thunderbolt Volley

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 92
Drops: 11

What are you using the Warlord battallion for? Doesn't look like you've picked an extra enhancement, and if so, I'd just say throw the warlord units into a battle regiment and become a 2-drop so you have a lot more chance of controlling initiative and being able to shoot off an important unit with the longstrikes.

I couldn't decide on the second enchancement and tought to pick it before the game. Well, guess who forgot about this :( I got the initiative anyway so little harm here. As my buddy has forgotten to bring some models he had to adjust his list and in the end we both ended up around 2100 points, with me taking a Knight Arcanum instead of a flock of aetherwings

The game was fun and tense. Had to fight loads of Deamonettes, 2x5 Slaanesh chosen guys, Dexcessa, KoS, some archers and 5 Slickblades. We had 2 double turns, one in my favor and one in my opponents but neither really toppled the balance. In the end I lost due to some bad target selections and positioning errors.  

Lessons learned:

• Knight Vexillor - Won't be picked anytime soon again. I tought he was great to provide Annihilators a charge reroll. Guess what unit already has a built in reroll...
  • Lord Impertant - Guy is solid with an Arcane tome. Casting SCE Spells on 18" was neat. But this also left the Knight Arcanum look even worse then she already looks. Also I overlooked his CP generation until turn 5. So I basically lost 4 CP to this.
  • Longstrikes are lame and carried a lot of my VP. I tought it would be wise to set them up via scions teleport which was a huge mistake. 
  • Vigilors...well I gave them another chance and was once again disappointed. Hell, I love the models, I love the Warscrolls but as long as they don't drop to 120-140 pts I see no real use for them, even in my rather casual meta. 
  • Vindictors are okay, but I felt like a unit of 5 is not enough to really compete for an objective. Both units disappeared within mere seconds once my opponent hit me.
  • Annihilators are solid. Dropped in 7" they allowed me to take and burn an objective turn 2, putting me in a quite nice position.
  • I really missed a Lord Relictor with Translocate or another highly mobile choice.

I think the dream of a "ranger" themed list is dead as I do not want to play Judicators and Vigilors are simply such a roadblock that it is no fun. Maybe I will go more for the Paladin-Heavy-Approach with some Retributors and more Annihilators instead. Dragons are currently not a real option as I do not want to bother with transportation of the models

Edited by Charleston
  • Sad 1

I got my "Warrior" box yesterday, and the Stormcast women lost their wedge heel! They can fight now!

Oh, and Stormcast have come such a long way from the distended Fantasy Marines they originally were. They look humanoid now, and are usable outside of just being statues!

Edited by zilberfrid

10 hours ago, Charleston said:

I think the dream of a "ranger" themed list is dead as I do not want to play Judicators and Vigilors are simply such a roadblock that it is no fun.

Was my dream, too. And I was so excited when seeing the new Knight Judicator and Vigilor models, but I basically came to the same conclusion as you. I have 10 Vigilors, 5 with hooded heads and they look so ****** good, but they are so massively overpriced. We have a pretty hard meta locally since most people play a lot of tourneys and are always practicing and trying out the newest hot stuff, not the best environment to play 10 Vigilors in. :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martinwolf said:

Was my dream, too. And I was so excited when seeing the new Knight Judicator and Vigilor models, but I basically came to the same conclusion as you. I have 10 Vigilors, 5 with hooded heads and they look so ****** good, but they are so massively overpriced. We have a pretty hard meta locally since most people play a lot of tourneys and are always practicing and trying out the newest hot stuff, not the best environment to play 10 Vigilors in. :D 

Our days of Vigilor-Glory will come one day :D

• Like 2

Wanting to use a specific unit in Stormcast is tough because every role is quadrouple stacked with largely interchangeable units whose main difference is just strict performance on the table. I feel this pain because I want to play sacrosanct, but doing so deliberately just means hamstringing myself in a bunch of dimensions all at the same time and gaining nothing in exchange :/

10 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

I got my "Warrior" box yesterday, and the Stormcast women lost their wedge heel! They can fight now!

Oh, and Stormcast have come such a long way from the distended Fantasy Marines they originally were. They look humanoid now, and are usable outside of just being statues!

Only the best armor for the best weapon ;) but yes, good to see those gone. and for as much as I like the bare-armored look of Judicators, the sleeker armor of Thunderstrike is a bonus for sure.

18 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Only the best armor for the best weapon ;) but yes, good to see those gone. and for as much as I like the bare-armored look of Judicators, the sleeker armor of Thunderstrike is a bonus for sure.

Not a fan of the skinny armor, but Annihilators are aright.

1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

Why don't you visit the discord anymore? 

I went 3-0 at a one day 30 player tournament today👍

First game was against Tzeentch with 3 pink horror blobs, second against Coalesced Thunder Lizard Seraphon and final game against Living City with Stormdrakes and Fulminators!

List:

- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Lord-Relictor (145)*
- General
- Command Trait: High Priest
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
- Prayer: Translocation
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (195)*

- Mount trait : Aetheric Swiftness

Yndrasta, The Celestial Spear (320)*

Battleline
10 x Judicators with Boltstorm Crossbows (380)*
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Vindictors (130)*
5 x Vindictors (130)*

Units
10 x Protectors (450)*
- 4x Starsoul Maces
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Retributors (235)*

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1985 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Wounds: 107
Drops: 1

Was a really good event and luckily I was able to swerve both of the 11 dragon lists!🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AdamR said:

I went 3-0 at a one day 30 player tournament today👍

First game was against Tzeentch with 3 pink horror blobs, second against Coalesced Thunder Lizard Seraphon and final game against Living City with Stormdrakes and Fulminators!

List:

- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Lord-Relictor (145)*
- General
- Command Trait: High Priest
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
- Prayer: Translocation
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (195)*

- Mount trait : Aetheric Swiftness

Yndrasta, The Celestial Spear (320)*

Battleline
10 x Judicators with Boltstorm Crossbows (380)*
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Vindictors (130)*
5 x Vindictors (130)*

Units
10 x Protectors (450)*
- 4x Starsoul Maces
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Retributors (235)*

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1985 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Wounds: 107
Drops: 1

Was a really good event and luckily I was able to swerve both of the 11 dragon lists!🤣

Tell us more! (If you can/ want). How did the games go? I am particularly curious about the game Vs living city

4 hours ago, Marcvs said:

Tell us more! (If you can/ want). How did the games go? I am particularly curious about the game Vs living city

Living Cities list was...

Black Ark Fleetmaster - General, Druid of the Everspring.

Knight Draconis - Arcane Tome, Flaming Weapons

Doralia ven Denst - Generals Adjutant

Freeguild General on Griffin - Spear of the Hunt, Soaring Guardian.

6x1 Scourge Runner Chariots

2 Fulminators

2Stormdrake Guard 

10 Phoenix Guard.

Warlord, Hunters and Battle Regiment. 8 drop.

Battleplan was Survival of the Fittest.

I set up covering 2 (centre and right) objectives with Relictor, Judicators, 1 vindictor unit and the lord Arcanum on the board. He had everything on board except for Draconis, drakes and Fulminators, with his Griffin screened grim any translocation shooting.

I took first turn.

Translocated the judicators right on to the central objective and thunderbolt volleyed Doralia. Then ran my vindictors towards the right hand objective, and auto 6" ran my Arcanum toward the chariot that was covering it. 

Brought down the other half of my army with scions - Protectors in front of the Judicators, Yndastra to their left and the Retributors further left still. The last vindictor unit I stuck on the far right objective.

Shooting phase, the judicators slew a chariot, can't remember if yndastra did anything. Maybe couple of phoenix guard.

Charge phase, and the only one I got off was the Retributors in to a chariot, which they killed but that took them out of Yndastras's bubble. Used the 6" pile on from Aetheric Swiftness to get my Lord Arcanum into the other chariot which he killed.

In my opponents turn 1 he moved his  Griffin up to take on the Retributors, chariots up to shoot at the Judicators and then brought in the knight draconis and the stormdrake guard on the top right of the board, ready to get broken ranks on the vindictors there.

in his shooting phase the chariots bounced off the judicators, but my Arcanum ate 5 mortal wounds from dragon breath.

then in the charge phase the dragons all charged the vindictors, with the stormdrake guard also tagging in my relictor. The vindictors were wiped out, with my relictor taking a wound from a guards warbladwarblade.The Griffin made its charge on the Retributors, but only managed to kill one and in return they did enough damage to kill it outright! However the soaring guardian trait popped it back up on a wound down in the far right corner of my deployment zone.

Turn 2, and I held priority, which was probably key. Hero phase I translocated the relictor out of combat with the Stormdrakes and stuck him next to the judicators. Got off Healing light on the Arcanum to boost him back to 6 wounds.

Moved Yndastra and the protectors towards the stormdrake guard, the judicators toward the Griffin and the Retributors toward another Chariot. Rode the winds Aetheric b9" away from the Griffin with the Arcanum 

7 judicators were in range of the Griffin, who duly removed its final wound, with the other 3 killing a couple of phoenix guard. yndastra did some wounds to the Stormdrakes with Thengevir.

in the charge phase the protectors went first into the Stormdrakes and Draconis, taking a casualty from unleash hell, then Yndastra followed up. The Retributors made it into a chariot. Combat saw the Stormdrakes slain and the Knight Draconis wounded for the loss of another couple of protectors. The Retributors took out the chariot easily with no losses.

In his turn 2 he moved up the remaining chariots within 9" of my Relictor  and followed them up with the phoenix guard to claim the centre objective. The Fulminators moved on from the right board edge into the space left by the Stormdrake guard. They failed with their breath attacks but closed up for a 3" charge on the protectors. All-out defence saved them and I think they only lost 1 model. I know they didn't get reduced below 6 and Yndastra kept bringing one back every round. In return the protectors finally slew the draconis and did a couple of wounds to the Fulminators.

Almost forgot, in the shooting phase one of the scourgerunner chariots got a double 6 followed by a 5 and a 6 and mortal wounded my Lord Relictor off the board!

Turn 3 Double Turned!

He went first, so I removed the far left hand objective, freeing up the vindictors to try and get some payback for their downed warlord!

He didn't have much movement left, and in the shooting phase again his Fulminators failed to hit. The remaining chariots shot at the Judicators who weathered it again.

In the combat phase the Fulminators were slain by the Protectors for no losses in return.

My Turn 3 the Arcanum teleported into my opponents deployment zone, 9" away from his warlord, the Retributors ran toward a chariot, the vindictors toward the other chariot and the judicators and Yndastra towards the Phoenix Guard.

Judicator shooting failed dismally against the phoenix guard, si they charged them, along with Yndastra, who also tagged a chariot. The Vindictors made it into the other chariot and the Arcanum longbombed the Fleetmaster, but only wounded him. Yndastra and the judicators reduced the phoenix guard to 2 and the vindictors slew the last chariot. 

At the end of turn 3 with only a chariot, 2 phoenix guard and a wounded Fleetmaster left, my opponent called it.

Man that looks long!🤣

TLDR; dragon shooting can be spikey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hello all! New to Stormcast. I'm drawn to the army for the awesome new Annihilator models and because it's a low model count army. I'm soon to be a dad of 2, so pushing my SBGL 120 zombie list around isnt great for time! 

I saw a list I really liked at LVO. Does anyone here have advice for running a drop list like this?

• Do you try to be conservative with dropping Annihilators or usually drop all 3 units at once?
  • Does this army have enough damage to deal with Mega Gargants? 
  • Any general advice/tips for first time player using this Scions of the Storm type of list? 

- Stormhost: Knights Excelsior
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
LEADERS
Lord-Imperatant (175)
Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
Knight-Incantor (125)
- Spell: Lightning Blast
Lord-Relictor (145)
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Artefact: Arcane Tome
- Spell: Thundershock
- Prayer: Translocation
UNITS
3 x Aetherwings (65)
3 x Aetherwings (65)
3 x Annihilators with Meteoric Grandhammers (240)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (480)
TOTAL: 1980/2000 WOUNDS: 75

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

Hello all! New to Stormcast. I'm drawn to the army for the awesome new Annihilator models and because it's a low model count army. I'm soon to be a dad of 2, so pushing my SBGL 120 zombie list around isnt great for time! 

I saw a list I really liked at LVO. Does anyone here have advice for running a drop list like this?

• Do you try to be conservative with dropping Annihilators or usually drop all 3 units at once?
  • Does this army have enough damage to deal with Mega Gargants? 
  • Any general advice/tips for first time player using this Scions of the Storm type of list? 

It's like reading about myself! I'm a dad of 2 (soon to be 3) and moved over from Legions of Nagash for the low model count and a love of SCE models. Coincidentally, I predominantly run 3x3 Annhilators as well. To answer your questions:

1. Drop a unit per turn. The imperatant only allows 1 unit per turn to be 7 inches away. This means you have to drop a unit on turn 1, 2 and 3. If any are left in the sky at turn 4, they're dead. 

2. Very much so yes. Thunderbolt volley the raptors, shoot with the raptors in the shooting phase, and then charge in some Annhilators. Bye bye giant. 

3. My biggest issue with running a list like this is board control. When I lose it's mainly because I'm playing catch-up as my opponent's scoring off the primaries. It's a fun way to play though as you cause crazy precision damage. Just sit back and shoot with the raptors, forcing your opponent to come to you, and drop Annhilator bombs on them as they come. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, lare2 said:

It's like reading about myself! I'm a dad of 2 (soon to be 3) and moved over from Legions of Nagash for the low model count and a love of SCE models. Coincidentally, I predominantly run 3x3 Annhilators as well. To answer your questions:

1. Drop a unit per turn. The imperatant only allows 1 unit per turn to be 7 inches away. This means you have to drop a unit on turn 1, 2 and 3. If any are left in the sky at turn 4, they're dead. 

2. Very much so yes. Thunderbolt volley the raptors, shoot with the raptors in the shooting phase, and then charge in some Annhilators. Bye bye giant. 

3. My biggest issue with running a list like this is board control. When I lose it's mainly because I'm playing catch-up as my opponent's scoring off the primaries. It's a fun way to play though as you cause crazy precision damage. Just sit back and shoot with the raptors, forcing your opponent to come to you, and drop Annhilator bombs on them as they come. 

Thanks and congrats! I have to change the way I think about the game. I played BigWaagh and Bonespliterz with 200 wounds in 2nd ed and big hoard SBGL armies so far in 3rd. Looking forward to a new way of playing and not breaking my back haha. 

It seems like a fun army because it forces your opponents to make hard decisions about deployment. They want to castle up to protect against dropping Annihilators but that then plays into your aoe mortals. Then Raptors, like you said, demand attention so they have to push out to get to you. 

On 2/7/2022 at 2:46 PM, Warbossironteef said:

Looking forward to a new way of playing and not breaking my back haha. 

The worst was 2 day tournies. I used to run 120 skellies. My back by the end of Sunday... man, that's pain. Every now and then I look at the SBGL range and think I'll start again but then I'll play with SCE and the ease, physically on my body, is a big sell. Good luck with it! Let us know how it goes. 

On 2/7/2022 at 7:19 AM, feadair said:

Columbus Brewhammer (40 players): Hammers win (5-0) and come sixth (4-1). 

The winning list:

Army Faction: Stormcast Eternals
– Army Type: Scions of the Storm
– Army Subfaction: Hammers of Sigmar
– Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
– Triumphs: Inspired

LEADER

Lord-Relictor (145)*
– General
– Command Traits: High Priest
– Artefacts: Mirrorshield
– Prayers: Translocation