Packing away your models with magnets

meermouse

Hi All,

Ive been having issues with fiddly models breaking a lot whist moving them. While I was at SCGT this year I noticed some clever sods magnetised their bases then stuck them to (what I assume was) bigger magnets stuck to the inside of plastic tubs. Magnetising bases I can do with magnetic tape from amazon. Any ideas on what I can do to magnetise the storage container?

Cheers

Hi All,

Ive been having issues with fiddly models breaking a lot whist moving them. While I was at SCGT this year I noticed some clever sods magnetised their bases then stuck them to (what I assume was) bigger magnets stuck to the inside of plastic tubs. Magnetising bases I can do with magnetic tape from amazon. Any ideas on what I can do to magnetise the storage container?

Cheers

You don't need to magnetise the container, just line it with metal sheeting. Many people use rare earth magnets in their bases as they're very strong.

On 9/6/2016 at 5:22 AM, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

You don't need to magnetise the container, just line it with metal sheeting. Many people use rare earth magnets in their bases as they're very strong.

This.   The stuff I picked up was referred to as 'flexible iron sheeting' and I used rare earth magnets under the bases.  Works very nicely for large plastic models too as they won't move or tip over with a few magnets spread around the base.

On 09/07/2016 at 7:13 PM, James McPherson said:

What size earth magnets do you find best? I tried 2mm rounds and 4mm donuts recently and it wasn't strong enough to hold them in place?

3mm is usually enough for plastic miniatures, but you need 2 per model and ensure that they're at the bottom (use sprue to pad things out)

I used too strong magnets on some lighter models and didn't position the magnets all middle center-of-base. It causes them often on the field to either repel when I'm positioning them btb, or snap together, flipping over models. I used an epoxy glue to prevent snapoff, and have yet to correct.

So be careful to position them when gluing and don't go too strong for lighter models. For larger or longer models, like monsters or war machines on an oval base, a single strong magnet cannot always stop torque or rotating action, so two magnets can work better.

About base snapping, if the magnet is thin enough that after gluing, the magnet is elevated over the tray or holding magnet, the magnetic field is weaker and its easier to pry the model on an angle off.

And for keeping in your magnetized case: use secondary 'movement trays'.

Either old block style trays or shaped metal sheets large enough to hold a unit at a time, with edges rounded or taped or flocked or whatever is good. Easy to rearrange cases a few units at a time then dozens of models at a time, either the base magnets will work through or clear tape new magnets on, no problem

I'll stop lurking for a second.

I've been magnetizing all my models for a few years now (5+). What I've found works best:

0. Buy some magnets, greenstuff, super glue, and (optional) parchment paper (and of course, some miniatures). I used these http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D31.

1. Make a "reference" base. Make sure all of the bases have the magnet polarity in the same direction. It's very annoying to have them stick bottom to bottom (and often results in one magnet being ripped out). Do this by creating one "reference" base. A base with only a magnet glued to it (see below), and keep a stack of magnets on top of it.

2. Use green stuff and super glue. When gluing the magnet on:

1. Take a pea sized bit of greenstuff. (I lay out 5-10 magnets and 5-10 pea sized bits of greenstuff all at once).

2. Put a dot of superglue in the center of the base.

3. Squash the greenstuff into it.

4. Put a dot of superglue on the greenstuff.

5. Squash the magnet into the greenstuff (keep in mind polarity), not too far .. leave it sticking out above the base.

6. Turn the model over and squash the whole thing down (on a sheet of parchment paper preferably), so the magnet is now flush with the ground.

7. Turn the model on it's side and let dry.

The magnet will be perfectly flush with the ground, and greenstuff and superglue makes a surprisingly strong bond.

3. Really Useful Boxes. There's a line of plastic boxes (in the states you can get them at Office Depot and Staples), that have very flat bottoms. They come in many different sizes. Some that can hold entire armies (around 100+ models, including over-sized ones). Add either Flexible Steel (like a sheet magnet, but not magnetic) or Sheet Magnets. I've even used business card magnets (you can get those at Office Depot too). Get the kind with sticky backs, so you just need to peel back the white backing and stick it in the box.

4. I used to make movement trays, that had had Flexible Steel in the tray and rare earth magnets on the bottom. I could store entire regiments and just pop them out and immediately play. Awesome for my Night Goblin army. That isn't as useful for AoS.

Now back to lurking.

13 hours ago, TerrorPenguin said:

Saw this somewhere else and it thought it might be useful, there's a bit here from the warlords event that shows a guy carrying his miniatures magnetised: https://youtu.be/tc_Q64yOhKk?t=4h31m21s

What a dude! I'd like to see a few more details on exactly how he's done it.

He mentions using baking trays but I've never seen any that big. I guess he's combined a few trays and then covered them with some material?

Archived