AoS 3.0 - Ogor Mawtribes Discussion

Charleston

10 hours ago, Kadeton said:

What, the tactic where you have to get two units into your opponent's territory - you're spending 320 points for that? Sir, let me introduce you to my good friend Hrothgorn...

Hmmm, is that the Underworlds guy?  I'll have to take a look.  

Besides the deepstrike, the Gorgers provide tiny Ogor MSU for extra MW via charging (since they reroll charge rolls that helps too).

5 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

That's a whole lotta Mournfang action!  Alas, the Marshcrawla guy is not Gloomspite, so we can't have it as an ally.

Did they switch it to Gloomspite: Troggoths? 

For what its worth (probably not much because their apps are buggy) you are able to select Marshcrawla and Mirebrute as allies in their new app thanks to the troggoth keyword

You know what I want to see in the next book? It's really petty, but I want the Beastclaw units to gain Gulping Bites, like all the Gutbusters units have. Currently it's like the Beastclaw culture has some formal code of conduct where it's considered impolite to bite people in combat. Giving equal-opportunity bites to all the Ogors would help to tie them together thematically.

• Like 1

So I just wrapped up my first GT yesterday with Ogors! I was going to take pictures and document it all but once I got there I think I was so antsy to get some games in that I opted not to. I think the beginning of the tournament had me at high nerves so I made some dumb mistakes I otherwise would not have but as the GT progressed I really started to amp up my play with my thunderbellies list. 

Game 1: Apex Pretadors vs Legion of the First Prince

Corner deployment battleplan with three objectives, the middle being on a smaller hill. I deployed from my bottom right side of the map, my opponent deploying diagonally from me. Their list:

Belakor
Khorne Daemon Prince
The Changeling
10 Plaguebearers

All in warlord Battalion

Synessa
The Conforted Epitome
Bladebringer, Herald on Exalted Chariot - Fourfold Blade
10 Plaguebearers
10 Plaguebearers

All in Battle Regiment

Geminids of Uhl Gysh
Soulsnare Shackles

This game was really tough and to compound on a tough list I also was making a lot of knucklehead moves early. He took priority turn 1 and advanced the flying daemon prince right to the middle objective while also using the CA that gives him an 18 inch bubble of halving charges and runs. He advanced the Bladebringer and 10 plaguebearers to the top right objective and then his remaining 10 blocks of plaguebearers set up behind the hill that the daemon Prince was on to give him lookout sir. Belakor went to the bottom left objective and spawned some pink horrors to screen. His mages set up a wide variety of spells and the Geminids. 

My turn 1 I sent 1 unit of 4 mournfang and the Thundertusk to the left to claim the top right objective which was succesful. I then buffed up my mournfang units on the left with some spells. The way I deployed I made it tough for me to do anything turn 1 but I did manage to beat the half charge roll with a unit of mournfang thanks to getting +2 on the charge roll after the halving. I destroy the pink horrors and reduce them down to 5-6 brimstones. my first big knucklehead move here was charging my slaughtermaster in on the daemon prince as mythundertusk had put enough wounds in on him with the ice and vulture that I was sure the slaughtermaster would kkill him on the charge or in combat. I was very incorrect as the charge reduced the daemon to 2 wounds but I was not aware he got to fight first. I also forgot about my cover save bonus here ut I dont think it really would have mattered and the daemon prince deleted him off the board in quick fashion. 

Turn 2 opponent wins priority and sets up another unit of pinks in the bottom left part of the map. Synessa uses their ranged shot to start pelting the Thundertusk. The bladebringer comes in and finishes the job along with taking out 3 mournfang in combat. Being as they were the only two units I allocated to that part of the map I knew I pretty much had to cede that to my opponent for the rest of the game. I finish off the brimstones but take some damage in the process.

My turn 2 the belakor ability worked on every phase for my mournfang unit not in combat with horrors. My stonehorn goes in and eliminates the daemon prince but not before taking a lot of damage. I failed just about every save roll and ward save with him this turn. The mournfang wipe out the unit of 10 plaguebearers. Had I realized how little damage output belakor has in relation to the size of the model I would have charged him instead but it was my first time playing him. 

At this point, I basically needed a double turn to have any chance. I did not get it and while the game went to the 5th round it was never really close and we mainly were playing it out just to get an accurate points total. I lose the game 31-10. I feel like my best bet was to wait out everything a turn and try to win the game in rounds 2-5 but I also think I made a lot of mistaes in this one and forgot many things. 

Game 2: First Blood vs Daughters of Khaine

Opponents List: 

Melusai Ironscale - Curse of the Bloody Handed, Crimson Talisman
Hag Queen - Iron Circlet, Catechism of Murder
Hag Queen - Blessing of Khaine
Morathi-Khaine - Mindrazor
Shadow Queen

2 blocks of 10 Blood Sisters
1 block of 10 Blood Stlakers
5 Khinerai Lifetakers

This was a big terrain map with many big pieces creating many choke points. My opponent was disadvantaged by this and had I got to go first Im almost certain I wouldve won this one solely due to choking them into their own deployment with no way of getting out of it with any of her models. Because of this my opponent opted to go first and rushed for the middle objective as well as the bottom left objective. 

Their turn ends and the way everyone is set up I pretty much have free pickings as to who to kill. I land a charge into the blood sisters on both the middle and bottom left objectives with mournfang. The stonehorn fails its charge with reroll but despite that I felt pretty good about my chances as the middle pack of bloodsisters has received rib cracker for -1 save and the unit that charged them had blood feast. In the combat phase I get some really unfavorable dice rolls and only kill 4/10 sisters in the middle. My opponent answers back by killing 2 mournfang in the bottom left. I turn the tide over there by killing 4 more but Im in trouble a bit here because I needed the middle pack to die to score my battle tactic. 

This is another game where I needed to win priority turn 2 to ensure my third mournfang pack could charge into the middle block and help screen off Shadow Queen for a turn while the stonehorn could mop up bottom left and the thunertusk sit on top right. I lose priority though and my opponent opts to go first. The shadow queen receives mindrazor and charges around the mournfang fighting over the middle objective and into the fresh unit of mournfang waiting to join the fray. She pretty much eliminates them entirely and drop my last mournfang in the unit to 2 wounds left. The middle objective mournfang are killed thanks to the stalekrs+sisters. The left side mournfang are killed thanks to the bloodsisters but luckily that side they only have a couple left and my opponent positioned so that my stonehorn could charge the melusai and hag queen. 

My turn 2 comes and the stonehorn goes in and in combat phase I begin to spike my dice once again, only killing a couple blood sisters and leaving both leaders alive albeit barely. I run my slaughtermaster to the left to help out next turn and my butcher to the top right objective so that my thundertusk can advance and help out in middle, hopefully baiting my opponent to go after that with shadow queen. The thundertusk wipes out the remaining middle objective blood sisters and puts a few wounds on the hag queen with some snowballs+vulture. The lone mournfang left retreats in an attempt to maybe rally and get some back.

I win turn 3 and I feel like I have to go first here despite knowing Ill lose the bottom left objective as a result. My mournfang attempts to rally but I cant find a 6. He goes into the bttom left objective with the slaughtermaster and I am able to kill everything there with the help of my stonehorn. My thundertusk snowballs and vultures the remaining hag queen for the kill giving my opponent only his bloodstalkers and Morathi/Shadow Queen left on the map. 

My opponents turn 3 he gives shadow queen mindrazor. I suspected this would happen so I gave the stonehorn finest hour. Despite this morathi charges in and wipes the Stonehorn out for 20 damage in a single attack. At this point, the game was over as the Stonehorn needed to be able to string along shadow queen for a turn or 2 while I tried to rally the mournfang one more time so that they could charge the stalkers. The stalkers get a lot of mortal wounds in on the thundertusk and drop them. The game ends shortly after this point with a close game but still a major loss 27-17. This was my favorite opponent of the event regardless of the outcome and I felt like they did a good job of capitalizing off my mistakes. This is one where I felt like I was making the right decisions mostly but that the dice just werent falling my way when they needed to and I cant be too upset about that

Round 3 - Savage Gains vs Kharodon Overlords

Opponents List:

Endrin Master with Drigible Suit - Grudgebearer, Phosphorite Bomblets
Brokk Grungsson Lord-Magnate of Barak-Nar
Aether-Khemist - Spell in a Bottle (Vortex)

9 Endrinriggers
5 Gunhaulers - 3 with Sky Cannon 2 with Drill Cannon
1 Frigate - Heavy Skyhook, Breath of Morgrim

This won I won drop and deployed very spaced out to avoid any fly high in my zone. In response my opponent did not move much and called it a turn. Not wanting to play turtle I rushed forward my T1 and took all but his territoy objective. I dropped a few endrinriggers with snowballs and a vulture. 

I knew here that if I won turn priority this one would be over and that if I lost my opponent really couldnt fly high anywhere and not get charged due to the speed of my army. I won prioty and T2 and 3 was spent pretty much destroying model after model of his unit. We called it turn 3  for a major victory though we did have to score the game out as if it were 5 rounds. 45-17 win here.

Round 4 - Power in Numbers vs Seraphon

Opponents List:

Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur - War Spear, Amulet of Destiny
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur - War Spear, Fusil of Conflaguration
Skink Priest - Curse
Skink Priest - Curse
Slann Spellmaster - Stellar Tempest

5 Chameleon Skinks
5 Saurus Knights
10 Skinks
10 Skinks
10 Skinks
30 Skinks

2 Bastilladons with Solar Engines

This map was similar to game 2 with numerous big terrain map pieces. I knew with this one if I could choke them into their own deployment I would win provided I dont take too much damage. I really benefitted here from the skinks not having the ability to fire mortal wounds on 6s to wound. My stonehorn turn 2 took Curse and all 90 shots from the skinks as well as all 27 bastilladon shots and all skink priest shots. In the end it took until the last priest to get the killing blow on the stonehorn but I felt like this was an accomplishment as my opponent blew his entire shooting phase to take him out as well as command points. I used this opportunity to go in and pretty much wipe out all the skinks. 

The rest of the game here was spent just keeping him in his deployment zone. I forced him to burn his objecties early netting him 8 points and the lead for awhile. He won turn priority on 3 and I destroyed his last remaining objective. I waited until turn 5 despite nearly being tabled and burn all 3 of my objectives for 24 points and go on to win via major victory 29-17.

Game 5: Feral Foray vs Ossiarch Bonereapers

Opponents List:

Katakros
20 Mortrek with Spears
20 Mortek with Swords
20 Mortek with Swords
2 Morghast Archai
Boneshaper - Katakros' Chosen, Artificers Blade, Empower Nadrite Weapons
Boneshaper - Reinforce Battleshields
3 Necropolis Stalkers

Fifth game of the tournament where opponent got to go first. This one was over really quickly (Like maybe an hour of gameplay tops) as all ym dice luck flipped around and by the end of turn 2 40 Mortek were dead as well as his stalkers. Byt he end of turn 3 Katakros and both the shapers were dead leaving him a single archai and a handful of mortek. This was a 24-11 major victory. 

All in all I finished up 3-2 in the event. Im disappointed I missplayed a lot to start the event but 3 wins at my first GT is respectable and it got the nerves out of the way. I do think this list is good though and it 100% was forcing my opponents into uncomfortable turn 1's. Ive got two one day tournaments coming up in the next two weekends and I think after that point ill make changes to the list if need be. Initially my feeling is maybe to ditch thunderbellies as the run+ charge very rearely actually came into play and just opt for either bloodgullet for the heals or no tribe and take arcane tome + amulet of destiny. I did come out with the best display board for the event though and won myself a kragnos shy of a 2k gitz army which is great!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So I thought about it some more and instead of running thunderbellies for my next tournament this weekend Im trying something thats probably going to stink but has high reward potential. 

No Tribe
GS: Prized Sorcery

Huskard on TT: Bird, Amulet of Destiny, Keening Gale
Butcher: Blood Feast
Butcher: Molten Entrails
Slaughtermaster: Ribcracker
Huskard on Stonehorn: General, Arcane Tome (Flaming Weapon), Metal Cruncher, Voice of the Avalanche or Nomadic Raider

4x Mournfang w Gargant Hackers
2x Mournfang w Gargant Hackers

Umbral Spell Portal
Chronomatic Cogs

So Basically my thought with this list is I have a few turn 1 options.

If my opponent gives me enough of a distance that the stonehorn can make the charge across map T1 then I drop the portal, ribcrack the unit i wanna hit, and try to give the SH Entrails/Flaming Weapon. I then give everwinters strength to the SH from the priest for the +1 to wound and attempt to make the charge. If it hits, the SH  (who would 100% be getting all out attack in this scenario) would then be at a 6 3+/2+/-2(-3 if its the unit that was ribcracked)/6 and the crushing hooves would be d6 2+/2+/-1 or 2/d3+2) Theres a lot having to go my way here but if it does goes off its got extremely high damage potential to the point where the SH might even be able to kill archaon/nagash in one round of attacks. I can also pop finest hour T1 for the +1 to wound that way and use Keening gale from the thundertusk to give the SH 17 inches of movement

If my opponent or the plan dont allow a good chance to pull that off Im just dropping the portal down as well as the cogs with the intent or trying to hero snipe with my vulture+voracious maw. The combo above gets kept in my pocket but at this point I would use line breakers to let the MF do the heavy lifting for awhile. 

I debate on whether or not I would use Nomadic or Voice of the Avalanche here. Nomadic means I need to shoot for option 1 above so that I can re roll my wound rolls reliably. This is a tough CT though because some of the battleplans in 3.0 have small opponent territories and a lot of no mans land. 

Voice of the Avalanche would be good to gurantee line breakers going off without having to spend a command point. Someone could then give the SH all out attack. 

Like I said I dont expect this list to do too well but its got enough slot machine in it to fall in my alley. 

Edited by Schauer

Gambling is fun! or at least the part until the outcome is revealed.  You'll have memorable matches. 

I was thinking the Portal would be very good to take; gotta try out the Voracious Maw spell on the Butcher with that.  It'll be in my Underguts v1 try-out list tomorrow.  Not sure what my friend is bringing though.  He'll have 3 Gorgers in his backfield, which may or may not do anything at all.  

Got my game in vs the Gitz using my Underguts.  

ME: Tyrant (general, Trophy Rack)/Slaughermaster (Gnoblar Keg)/Slaughtermaster/Butcher/

3x4 Leadbelchers/ 1x4 Ironguts

2 Ironblasters/ 3x1 Gorgers

Warlord and Battle Regiment and Ironblaster =7 drops

HIM: Loonboss/ Arachnarok Shaman/ Fungoid Shaman/ Mangler Squig Boss

2x40 Stabba Spear Gitz/ 1x20 Stabba Spear Gitz

10 Boingrot Bounderz

MISSION:  Tooth n Nail

Alas, I could not deepstrike my scary Gorgers to sneak up and take care of that pesky Loonboss!  I castled my shooty battle regiment to my lower left to go for his A-rok spider, Gorgers and wizards in the center near the Mawpot, and 4 leadbelchers and the Ironguts to the upper right.  Gave him first turn and got the double turn there, then proceeded to win all the turn priority rolls.

Turn 1 I moved up and took off half the spider's wounds and then charged turn 1 (after having to navigate and suffer the most irritating endless spell in the form of the Scuttletide, which would continue to get me through turn 4). 

I moved up the Ironguts and managed to charge his ManglerSquigBoss and keep that right objective....attacked first with the Ironguts and bracketed the SquigBoss, but then the Spider was able to kill my Tyrant with a stunning amount of MW via the fangs (after having been bitten by Scuttletide).  So I lost my general and never got his, failed my Vendetta.  Those foolish blunders cost me the game, as I also failed to do my turn 1 battle tactic of Savage Spearhead (this mission made it tough to actually get my guys over his lines completely, shoulda just done Ferocious Advance with the Gorgers instead turn 1).

My Slaughtermasters rolled Bad Meat 5 times in total througout the game, managed to heal most of it through Heroic Recovery, the Mawpot and Lifeswarm.  Voracious Maw caused 11 MW on some Gitz, that was fun!  

Leadbelchers and Ironguts failed to do much even having D6 shots each when not moving (I had some cold tired dice that day).  But the spells helped them out to some extent. 

He teleported the Fungoid behind me and got all the objectives turn 2 or 3, and I made a decent show of things but couldn't catch him on points.  Pretty fun game even though it was sticky.  Somewhat grindy but things did move around.  Ogors are speedy enough to get places.  

I like Ogor magic, next game will be all my Ironguts in Bloodgullet (with my FLoSH using the Splatter Cleaver) vs Seraphon Thunder lizards.  I'd like to get Lifeswarm and a 3rd Gorger in at that list but that would mean only 1 Butcher and 1 Slaughtermaster....think a 2nd Slaughtermaster is better overall.

FLoSH (Splatter Cleaver)

Butcher (general, either Shrunken Priest Head or Bloodrock Talisman to shut down his spells better)

2 Slaughtermasters

1x8 and 2x4 Ironguts

2 Gorgers

Warlord and Hunters of the Heartlands

• Like 2

I'm going to bring my Ogors for a 1000pt. gaming night in a few days and wanted to hear your thoughts on this list:

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Tribe: Thunderbellies

Leaders
Huskard on Thundertusk (335)*
- General
- Artefact: Shatterstone
- Command Trait: Storm Chaser
- Mount Trait: Fleshgreed
- Prayers: Keening Gale
- Blood Vulture

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)*
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)*
- Gargant Hackers

Other
4 x Leadbelcher
(180)*

Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Endless Spells / Terrain / Triumph
Great Mawpot
Inspired

Total: 995 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 64

The idea would be to keep the Huskard and Leadbelcher in the center as anvil and take advantage of Thunderbellies trait to run & charge from flanks with the Mournfang. Not very competitive, just for fun, but what do you think?
My main doubts would be the triumph, the ideal deployment or which weapon to equip the Huskard with...

I'll send pics and a recap! Still not sure about opponent, maybe Stormcast

On 10/16/2021 at 1:38 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Got my game in vs the Gitz using my Underguts.  

ME: Tyrant (general, Trophy Rack)/Slaughermaster (Gnoblar Keg)/Slaughtermaster/Butcher/

3x4 Leadbelchers/ 1x4 Ironguts

2 Ironblasters/ 3x1 Gorgers

Warlord and Battle Regiment and Ironblaster =7 drops

HIM: Loonboss/ Arachnarok Shaman/ Fungoid Shaman/ Mangler Squig Boss

2x40 Stabba Spear Gitz/ 1x20 Stabba Spear Gitz

10 Boingrot Bounderz

MISSION:  Tooth n Nail

Alas, I could not deepstrike my scary Gorgers to sneak up and take care of that pesky Loonboss!  I castled my shooty battle regiment to my lower left to go for his A-rok spider, Gorgers and wizards in the center near the Mawpot, and 4 leadbelchers and the Ironguts to the upper right.  Gave him first turn and got the double turn there, then proceeded to win all the turn priority rolls.

Turn 1 I moved up and took off half the spider's wounds and then charged turn 1 (after having to navigate and suffer the most irritating endless spell in the form of the Scuttletide, which would continue to get me through turn 4). 

I moved up the Ironguts and managed to charge his ManglerSquigBoss and keep that right objective....attacked first with the Ironguts and bracketed the SquigBoss, but then the Spider was able to kill my Tyrant with a stunning amount of MW via the fangs (after having been bitten by Scuttletide).  So I lost my general and never got his, failed my Vendetta.  Those foolish blunders cost me the game, as I also failed to do my turn 1 battle tactic of Savage Spearhead (this mission made it tough to actually get my guys over his lines completely, shoulda just done Ferocious Advance with the Gorgers instead turn 1).

My Slaughtermasters rolled Bad Meat 5 times in total througout the game, managed to heal most of it through Heroic Recovery, the Mawpot and Lifeswarm.  Voracious Maw caused 11 MW on some Gitz, that was fun!  

Leadbelchers and Ironguts failed to do much even having D6 shots each when not moving (I had some cold tired dice that day).  But the spells helped them out to some extent. 

He teleported the Fungoid behind me and got all the objectives turn 2 or 3, and I made a decent show of things but couldn't catch him on points.  Pretty fun game even though it was sticky.  Somewhat grindy but things did move around.  Ogors are speedy enough to get places.  

I like Ogor magic, next game will be all my Ironguts in Bloodgullet (with my FLoSH using the Splatter Cleaver) vs Seraphon Thunder lizards.  I'd like to get Lifeswarm and a 3rd Gorger in at that list but that would mean only 1 Butcher and 1 Slaughtermaster....think a 2nd Slaughtermaster is better overall.

FLoSH (Splatter Cleaver)

Butcher (general, either Shrunken Priest Head or Bloodrock Talisman to shut down his spells better)

2 Slaughtermasters

1x8 and 2x4 Ironguts

2 Gorgers

Warlord and Hunters of the Heartlands

I swear teleports are the bane of ogor existence! Fight us head on you cowards!.

the mawtribes part of ogors definitely needs a pass through soon though. I feel like weve got a lot of units now that look scary but fail to do much, even ironguts unless youre investing 1000 points worth of them+utility pieces to buff and protect them. 3.0 did not do that part many wonders.

13 hours ago, Ennio said:

I'm going to bring my Ogors for a 1000pt. gaming night in a few days and wanted to hear your thoughts on this list:

- Tribe: Thunderbellies

Leaders
Huskard on Thundertusk (335)*
- General
- Artefact: Shatterstone
- Command Trait: Storm Chaser
- Mount Trait: Fleshgreed
- Prayers: Keening Gale
- Blood Vulture

Battleline
4 x Mournfang Pack (320)*
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)*
- Gargant Hackers

Other
4 x Leadbelcher
(180)*

Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Endless Spells / Terrain / Triumph
Great Mawpot
Inspired

Total: 995 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 64

The idea would be to keep the Huskard and Leadbelcher in the center as anvil and take advantage of Thunderbellies trait to run & charge from flanks with the Mournfang. Not very competitive, just for fun, but what do you think?
My main doubts would be the triumph, the ideal deployment or which weapon to equip the Huskard with...

I'll send pics and a recap! Still not sure about opponent, maybe Stormcast

Bloodvulture is the best for huskards. Hero sniping is great and its an easy way to guarantee rip+tear goes off., 

I will say though I would avoid using huskard as an anvil. Your hero phase is just him, and his 4+ save is going to turn into 5+/6+ real easy. My go to line I tell my opponent in any game Im playing with others is that if im using huskard in melee for anything other than killing something off on the charge the game is probably close to being over or is close to being lost. His value is maximizing shots with ice breath and getting prayers off. If you do want to march him up I would heavily suggest screening with your belchers and then utilizing unleash hell with the thundertusk if anyone charges into the belchers. 

Is 1k played on a smaller map? I forgot. If not, Taco Bell (T-Bellies) is a hard sub-faction to run because A. Corner deployments will be tough to work with and B. with such low model count at 1k its effectively more space you have to cover. A wise opponent may centralize their deployment and because you need to be wholly within 12 inches to R+C you're likely going to need to still roll high for it to land charges. 

I know you said its just for fun, but I figured id give you those little bits to help you out. Love Taco Bell as a subfaction though

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Schauer said:

I swear teleports are the bane of ogor existence! Fight us head on you cowards!.

the mawtribes part of ogors definitely needs a pass through soon though. I feel like weve got a lot of units now that look scary but fail to do much, even ironguts unless youre investing 1000 points worth of them+utility pieces to buff and protect them. 3.0 did not do that part many wonders.

Bloodvulture is the best for huskards. Hero sniping is great and its an easy way to guarantee rip+tear goes off., 

I will say though I would avoid using huskard as an anvil. Your hero phase is just him, and his 4+ save is going to turn into 5+/6+ real easy. My go to line I tell my opponent in any game Im playing with others is that if im using huskard in melee for anything other than killing something off on the charge the game is probably close to being over or is close to being lost. His value is maximizing shots with ice breath and getting prayers off. If you do want to march him up I would heavily suggest screening with your belchers and then utilizing unleash hell with the thundertusk if anyone charges into the belchers. 

Is 1k played on a smaller map? I forgot. If not, Taco Bell (T-Bellies) is a hard sub-faction to run because A. Corner deployments will be tough to work with and B. with such low model count at 1k its effectively more space you have to cover. A wise opponent may centralize their deployment and because you need to be wholly within 12 inches to R+C you're likely going to need to still roll high for it to land charges. 

I know you said its just for fun, but I figured id give you those little bits to help you out. Love Taco Bell as a subfaction though

I'm hoping for a favorable deployment and either an early double turn or a normal move turn 1 and run+charge turn 2.
In case I get pewed at turn 1, I do have the Mawpot to try to get some wounds back via the HoTT.
1k games are still on a 44x60 table which indeed does not favor my chances to charge in fast.
It's a make it or break it kind of deal!

So basically It would be better if I use my Leadbelcher and the smaller Mournfang unit as anvil in the center.
The large Mournfang unit charges asap (again, if everything goes well deployment and initiative wise) and HoTT stays right behind them (mainly to make sure they can Rip n Tear) to be kept as a last resort only charger.
I was thinking to sort of try to rush both flanks but you're right that it's unlikely to succeed with such low body count, so my best chance would probably be try to succeed with charging on one flank and possibly smash through from there.

Thanks for the advise, very helpful!

My next list will be a Bloodgullet list with Butcher, Slaughtermaster and a greasy Gluttons anvil, but I really want to play first with these Beastclaw I recently finished painting... such cool looking minis.

On 10/12/2021 at 4:38 PM, Schauer said:

So I thought about it some more and instead of running thunderbellies for my next tournament this weekend Im trying something thats probably going to stink but has high reward potential. 

No Tribe
GS: Prized Sorcery

Huskard on TT: Bird, Amulet of Destiny, Keening Gale
Butcher: Blood Feast
Butcher: Molten Entrails
Slaughtermaster: Ribcracker
Huskard on Stonehorn: General, Arcane Tome (Flaming Weapon), Metal Cruncher, Voice of the Avalanche or Nomadic Raider

2x Mournfang w Gargant Hackers

Umbral Spell Portal
Chronomatic Cogs

So Basically my thought with this list is I have a few turn 1 options.

If my opponent gives me enough of a distance that the stonehorn can make the charge across map T1 then I drop the portal, ribcrack the unit i wanna hit, and try to give the SH Entrails/Flaming Weapon. I then give everwinters strength to the SH from the priest for the +1 to wound and attempt to make the charge. If it hits, the SH  (who would 100% be getting all out attack in this scenario) would then be at a 6 3+/2+/-2(-3 if its the unit that was ribcracked)/6 and the crushing hooves would be d6 2+/2+/-1 or 2/d3+2) Theres a lot having to go my way here but if it does goes off its got extremely high damage potential to the point where the SH might even be able to kill archaon/nagash in one round of attacks. I can also pop finest hour T1 for the +1 to wound that way and use Keening gale from the thundertusk to give the SH 17 inches of movement

If my opponent or the plan dont allow a good chance to pull that off Im just dropping the portal down as well as the cogs with the intent or trying to hero snipe with my vulture+voracious maw. The combo above gets kept in my pocket but at this point I would use line breakers to let the MF do the heavy lifting for awhile. 

I debate on whether or not I would use Nomadic or Voice of the Avalanche here. Nomadic means I need to shoot for option 1 above so that I can re roll my wound rolls reliably. This is a tough CT though because some of the battleplans in 3.0 have small opponent territories and a lot of no mans land. 

Voice of the Avalanche would be good to gurantee line breakers going off without having to spend a command point. Someone could then give the SH all out attack. 

Like I said I dont expect this list to do too well but its got enough slot machine in it to fall in my alley. 

Got to give this a shot. I did forget to bring my endless spells though so I swapped the huskard out for a frostlord. 

Played Gloomspite Game 1. I had the SH buffed to 5 damage and he missed every single attack and took 7 wounds in the process turn 1 before dying turn 2. Easily the worst ive ever rolled in a game. After that this one was a hard one to win as the heavy hitter was off the board and my opponents fellwater trolls killed about 3x their point value. Great opponent, but I had no chance after whiffing with my stonehorn.

Played FEC game 2 and this was the one where I got my money's worth on the SH. Buffed up to 5 damage again and with charge + metal cruncher my SH dealt out enough damage to kill a GK on Zombie Dragon + 20 Ghouls. Needless to say my dice luck came back around and I ended up easily winning this one. I was helped too by the fact that the terrain was set up in my favor with a large chunk of the middle of the map being pretty much impossible to place terrorgheists and zombie dragons. 

Played Legion on the First Prince game 3 and lost by 3 because we ran out of time turn 3. Not sure how this one plays out if we made it to turn 5 but i think it wouldve been close either way. I did kill a bloodthirster completely on charge damage and metal cruncher alone which was fantastic. I got too cute with not throwing my stonehorn at belakor and had I done that I wouldve probably won the game easily. I did have a few unlucky breks go my way too but all in all this was a really fun and close game and the opponent was a joy to play againt. 

-A side note though, both times I've played Legion my opponent had gotten rules wrong and I didnt realize it until afterwards. at the GT my opponent mistkanely thought strike first came before metalcruncher. I didnt want to be a bad sport and call him out on it but in hindsight i shouldve as it resulted in the SH dying and me losing any chance of getting back in that game. In this game, I believe my opponent was unaware of the recent FAQ regarding bodyguards and ward saves. If Belakor uses the 4+ to pass off the wound to a battleline unit he takes the wound no matter what on a 1-3 because the 4+ counts as a ward save and on top of that the battleline unit does not get to shrug the wound with a ward save if it is dealt one that way.  I thought this was the case at the time but wasn't confident enough to call my opponent out on it. Will definitely remember for next time though!!

This was really only supposed to be a for fun list but I actually really liked how the list played out. Having 4 casts and unbinds with ogors is ridiculous and fixes a lot of issues in hero phases where opponents can get their spells off easily without much recourse. I do think it hinged too much though on the stonehorn survivng so if I did run this again I would likely switch the battleline from 4-4-2 mournfang to 2 mournfang 2 sh beast riders. 

Went to a GT this past weekend at the Crucible in Florida. Took 7th overall and won best the prize for best Destruction.

My list was:

- Mawtribe: Boulderhead

- Grand Strategy: Beast Master

LEADERS

Frostlord on Stonehorn (430)

- General

- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts

- Artefact: Brand of the Svard

- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher

- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn

Huskard on Stonehorn (340)*

- Blood Vulture

- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth

UNITS

2 x Mournfang Pack (160)*

- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists

4 x Mournfang Pack (320)*

- Gargant Hackers

BEHEMOTHS

Stonehorn Beastriders (320)*

- Weapon: Blood Vulture

- Ogor Mawtribes Battleline (Beastclaw Raiders General)

CORE BATTALIONS

*Battle Regiment

TOTAL: 2000/2000 WOUNDS: 86

1st round was a loss against a Stormcast list with archer bunker (TO said they could buy the double shoot holy command twice), and teleport + move evo cats. I failed 6 charges in a row, which lost me the game.

2nd match was against an all troll gloomspite list. Was a fun brawl, but me getting turn 2 double turn sealed it. 1st win.

3rd game was against a triple wind spirit elf army with 30 archers. Lost a stone horn immediately, and lost most of my movement by the wind spirits parking in my path (who then obviously moved away before I could retaliate). I could have turned the game around with a win on the priority roll on turn 2 or 3, but it did not happen. My Frostlord made it into the archer bunker at the end of turn 3, but I rolled super poorly and only killed 15 of them over 2 rounds of combat. Loss for me.

4th game was against a super defensive Bonereaper army. My list and the mission forced him on offense. He conceded at the end of turn 2.

Last game was against an Ironjawz army. I crashed into him hard at the end of turn 1, wiping out two ard boy and 2 boar boy units. This left him with only one more of each, his support characters, and a mawcrusher. The first objective spawned on top of three of my stonehorns, and then I won priority. He conceded before the 2nd turn even started.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

Went to a GT this past weekend at the Crucible in Florida. Took 7th overall and won best the prize for best Destruction.

My list was:

LEADERS

- General

- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts

- Artefact: Brand of the Svard

- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn

Huskard on Stonehorn (340)*

- Blood Vulture

- Mount Trait: Old Granitetooth

UNITS

2 x Mournfang Pack (160)*

4 x Mournfang Pack (320)*

- Gargant Hackers

BEHEMOTHS

Stonehorn Beastriders (320)*

- Weapon: Blood Vulture

- Ogor Mawtribes Battleline (Beastclaw Raiders General)

CORE BATTALIONS

*Battle Regiment

TOTAL: 2000/2000 WOUNDS: 86

1st round was a loss against a Stormcast list with archer bunker (TO said they could buy the double shoot holy command twice), and teleport + move evo cats. I failed 6 charges in a row, which lost me the game.

2nd match was against an all troll gloomspite list. Was a fun brawl, but me getting turn 2 double turn sealed it. 1st win.

3rd game was against a triple wind spirit elf army with 30 archers. Lost a stone horn immediately, and lost most of my movement by the wind spirits parking in my path (who then obviously moved away before I could retaliate). I could have turned the game around with a win on the priority roll on turn 2 or 3, but it did not happen. My Frostlord made it into the archer bunker at the end of turn 3, but I rolled super poorly and only killed 15 of them over 2 rounds of combat. Loss for me.

4th game was against a super defensive Bonereaper army. My list and the mission forced him on offense. He conceded at the end of turn 2.

Last game was against an Ironjawz army. I crashed into him hard at the end of turn 1, wiping out two ard boy and 2 boar boy units. This left him with only one more of each, his support characters, and a mawcrusher. The first objective spawned on top of three of my stonehorns, and then I won priority. He conceded before the 2nd turn even started.

Was wondering how well boulderhead stood against sentinel spam. I think the only chance we would have against it would be if we specifically built to play them and went boulderhed with a ton of huskards on TT to continuously drop down pulversiing hailstorm and snowballs+birds. 

Edited by Schauer

23 hours ago, Schauer said:

Was wondering how well boulderhead stood against sentinel spam. I think the only chance we would have against it would be if we specifically built to play them and went boulderhed with a ton of huskards on TT to continuously drop down pulversiing hailstorm and snowballs+birds. 

Sentinel spam by itself is fine, you can tank the damage. It's the Wind Spirits that really mess up the Beastclaws. Anything that blocks our movement but won't let us charge is really difficult to deal with.

Here's my next game's army list, just tryin' some different combos.  But just to double check, can Destruction take the named Megagargant Mercenaries?  I know Big Drogg is the one Death can take but wasn't sure if ONLY Death can take him.  He can deal with the hordes.

If the mission doesn't prohibit it, deepstriking 4 dudes and having them make some charges would be a pretty sweet surprise.  They suck afterwards but seems fun.

Capture.JPG

I took my Beastclaws to a three-round team tournament on Saturday. Unfortunately we only managed 6th (out of 8 teams) overall, but I went 3-0 in my games so I figured I should talk a bit about the experience. The list was a little different from my usual:

- Mawtribe: Bloodgullet
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (430)*
- General
- Command Trait: Nice Drop of the Red Stuff!
- Artefact: Splatter-cleaver
Huskard on Thundertusk (335)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Universal Prayer Scripture: Curse
Butcher (135)*
- Cleaver
- Bloodgullet 2nd Spell: Ribcracker
- Lore of Gutmagic: Molten Entrails
Hrothgorn (170)*

Battleline
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)**
- Gargant Hackers
- Gargant Hackers

Units
3 x Hrothgorn's Mantrappers (0)*

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Hunters of the Heartlands

Total: 1980 / 2000

Bloodgullet instead of Boulderhead was a big change, and I missed having the additional mount traits (especially Alvagr Ancient on the Thundertusk). I was also pretty disappointed by the Splatter-cleaver! It had worked out well in testing but it just seemed to roll poorly all day and somehow never provided any meaningful healing. On the other hand, the Butcher made an excellent contribution just by putting Arcane Shield on a Frostlord every turn (sometimes Molten Entrails as well), occasionally shutting down an enemy spell, and babysitting the Mawpot so it could be used at the right time. I also wasn't expecting how useful the Nice Drop of the Red Stuff command trait would be for sneaky pile-in shenanigans. Having the little heroes to fill out the Warlord battalion was also really valuable - I hope that we eventually get a battalion we can fill out with mounted Beastclaw heroes that grants Magnificent.

The first game was First Blood against Idoneth Deepkin, a classic eel-spam list that the player freely admitted hadn't really been updated for 3rd Ed: Volturnos, a Soulscryer, 2x3 Ishlaen Guard, 3x3 Morrsarr Guard, 2 Allopexes and a Leviadon. He pushed his tough eels out to take objectives and box in my army, with everything else following up as a second wave. The Beastclaws recaptured all three objectives, killed the first wave of eels mainly just with mortal wounds (snowballs and charge damage), and Nice Drop gave them the mobility to crash through into part of the second wave, which the opponent hadn't expected. He declared Bring It Down on a Frostlord and then didn't manage to kill him with all three units of Morrsarr, and from there the whole momentum of the Idoneth attack stalled and the Raiders chowed down. This felt close to an unwinnable matchup for my opponent, and the 29-6 result was a nice boost to the team's scores.

Second game was Survival of the Fittest against Kharadron Overlords. He brought a Khemist and Navigator, an Ironclad, three Gunhaulers, 3x10 Arkanauts, and Gotrek. I felt confident going in - I've played similar match-ups against KO before, and they don't have the damage to deal with Beastclaws. Except... the Ironclad dropped down behind my General and he just absolutely flubbed his 3+ save rolls and died like a chump, it didn't even take all the Ironclad's firepower. I've seen him tank the shooting of an entire KO army and then heal back up to full, but he was clearly having an off day. Then the Gunhauler drill cannons spiked their mortal wound rolls and killed my Butcher out of nowhere, and suddenly everything was going very badly for me. Fortunately, it was now my opponent's turn to get overconfident - he dropped the Ironclad near my other Frostlord hoping for a repeat performance, but this time the normal thing happened instead: all the guns barely tickled the Stonehorn, the Frostlord smashed the ship out of the sky and stomped everybody on board into paste, and we scored a bunch of VP in the process. Gotrek was far too slow to catch anybody important with Hrothgorn and the Mantrappers running interference. A 30-25 win at the end, and I was very happy to have pulled it back.

Third game was Feral Foray against Slaves to Darkness running Archaon, Be'lakor, a Chaos Lord, one unit of Varanguard, a Warshrine, two units of Iron Golems and the Untamed Beasts. This was one of the longest and most fun games I've played with Beastclaws, with tons of dramatic swings and cunning tactical maneuvers, unexpected heroism (the Huskard tanked Archaon by himself for two full turns like an absolute champ) and a great sideline of comedy as Hrothgorn's gnoblars and the Untamed Beasts had a sideline slap-fight over an objective that dragged out for several turns with no losses on either side. Archaon slew one Frostlord early, then got beaten down by the other. Be'lakor made a clutch play for one of my objectives, but then was hunted down as my surviving Frostlord's second course. It was incredibly close in the end - I pulled 2 VP ahead in the final reckoning because I could score my Grand Strategy and my opponent couldn't after Be'lakor died. Fantastic end to the day.

First time poster here. Really enjoyed following the Mawtribe Discussion here.

Wanted to ask a question from more of a modelling / painting than gaming perspective. How do the Man-eater models - particularly the Pirate, Ninja, and Araby - stand up as models? I remember looking at them years ago and thinking they were cool. Anyone got any experience of the fine cast versions and whether they're still fun to paint compared to more modern designs? Thinking of getting some as a fun painting project, but know older sculpts don't always age well.

Hope it's an appropriate question and appreciate any views. Thanks!

Hello friends, I am thinking of taking one of these two lists to a tournament but I doubt which one would be tougher.
I never played the Kragnos list, the other one is a regular one in my game

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Kragnos, The End of Empires (720)
Huskard on Stonehorn (340)
- General
- Chaintrap
- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher