AoS 3.0 - Ogor Mawtribes Discussion

Charleston

1 hour ago, Iamanbo said:

Hello friends, I am thinking of taking one of these two lists to a tournament but I doubt which one would be tougher.
I never played the Kragnos list, the other one is a regular one in my game

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Boulderhead
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Kragnos, The End of Empires (720)
Huskard on Stonehorn (340)
- General
- Chaintrap
- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
Stonehorn Beastriders (320)
- Weapon: Chaintrap
Thundertusk Beastriders (285)

Total: 1985 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 66
Drops: 5

- Mawtribe: Boulderhead
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Frostlord on Stonehorn (430)
- General
- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher
Frostlord on Stonehorn (430)
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Thundertusk (335)
- Chaintrap
- Mount Trait: Alvagr Ancient
- Prayer: Pulverising Hailstorm
2 x Mournfang Pack (160)
- Gargant Hackers

Total: 1995 / 2000
Wounds: 74
Drops: 6

If you have the ability to switch the chain traps to blood vultures I would do so. They are better than the chain trap for purposes of hero sniping. If chain trap was a 3+/3+ I would say use it instead to help clear whatever you're fighting but 2+ mw feels like it pays off more than a 4+/3+

No lookout sir to save a utility hero from the threat of 3 mortal wounds a shooting phase! Also forces them to use their heroic leadership on heroic recoveries which is fantastic.

My biggest concern with both of these lists is your lack of access to healing outside of the t-tusk prayer. Its not a huge deal since youve got the damage in both of these to run people over twice over but if someone is able to tarpit you or get you into attrition with them you may have some trouble.

Both look like fun lists though! Krag list sounds really fun because your stonehorns wont get focused like they usually would be

Edited by Schauer

3 hours ago, Adammck66 said:

I found my old fantasy ogor collection,

1 Tyrant (metal chunky boy)

2x6 Ogors,  8 Irongutz, 6 leadbelchers (missing 2)

I need a butcher, but what else to add? 8 more Irongutz? 6 ogors and 4 irongutz?

Kind of tempted also to maybe get Kragnos.

Thanks for any tips

Ironguts!  Just keep the Gluttons back for objective camping and if you can them to charge something for potential mortal wounds go for it.  But they kinda stink right now.  Adding a Butcher or Slaughtermaster would be excellent (I'd probably go for Slaughtermaster though for the free random cauldron pluckings, though a Butcher can actually fight if needed).  

I have used Kragnos several times, and will say I would not now bother with a Kragnos (sold him off and thankfully got all my money back but had to paint him first).  WAAAAAY too many points for what he may or may not accomplish.  A mercenary Megagargant is better, or a Frostlord on Stonehorn.  I agree with the comment above that double FLoSHs are more worth taking than Kragnos.

On 10/19/2021 at 11:20 AM, Magnus The Blue said:

I'm thinking of getting my Underguts out again for 3.0 and was wondering if anyone has tried out Blocks of 12 Leadbelchers yet?

I love the idea of all out attack for 12D6 3+/3+/-1 shots and enough unleash hell threat to scare off anyone. But the coherency rules really hurt their combat potential.

I might use Leadbelcher mega-block as an alpha strike shock unit IF you take the Soulscream Bridge.  They can teleport into someone's face and blast away not having counted as making a move for max shots, and then charge to tarpit someone or erase a threat.  Even in a tenuous string of zig-zag formation I think all 12 could strike at 1" away if they made a decent charge distance, though they might have to engage a couple units.  But hopefully their blasting did most of the work.  They wouldn't even need to be Underguts for this to work.  Bloodgullet would be good, or just no Tribe at all.

On 11/2/2021 at 6:08 PM, emperorshobbyist said:

First time poster here. Really enjoyed following the Mawtribe Discussion here.

Wanted to ask a question from more of a modelling / painting than gaming perspective. How do the Man-eater models - particularly the Pirate, Ninja, and Araby - stand up as models? I remember looking at them years ago and thinking they were cool. Anyone got any experience of the fine cast versions and whether they're still fun to paint compared to more modern designs? Thinking of getting some as a fun painting project, but know older sculpts don't always age well.

Hope it's an appropriate question and appreciate any views. Thanks!

I saw a ninja and the lady ones at my FLGS a while back.  I think they do add some flavor to what are typically repetitive sculpts of the typical Gutbuster bodies (just right or left foot forward), and have good detail.  The plastic kits we have are quite old, so relative to those I guess they do hold up well.  However, it would be cool, if not tricky, so kitbash some from the plastic Ogor bodies.  My Tyrant is covered in plundered bits from those Stormcast Dracoth guys.  You could make some very good thematic conversions that would possibly be cheaper than the Man-Eater kits.

9 hours ago, Adammck66 said:

So do you think 2x6 gluttons are too many or prob just ok?

8 more Ironguts could be cool, although I wonder if itd work to have any beastclaw stuff.

Just unsure if they fit in alone, and which ones are best

A Frostlord on Stonehorn is a strong inclusion in any Ogor list, regardless of what else you run. They love having the support of a wizard, but they don't really need any specific army synergies to do their thing.

Just be careful - the more Beastclaw stuff you include, the more you'll realise that Beastclaws are way more fun than Gutbusters, and you'll end up with a full Beastclaw army before you know what's happened. ;)

Edited by Kadeton
  • Like 2

Going to join a Path to Glory group with Ogors, with the other players having VERY competitive lists (SBGL, Legion, Troggoth Gitz and Kurnoth Sylvaneth).

I have a lot of available models, but not many Beastclaw. What do you think should be a sufficiently good 600 pt starting list?
Any advice to make my games less frustrating is super welcome!

Here are my models, with a few sample pics attached:

Tyrant (2)
Slaughtermaster
Butcher
Hunter with 2 Frostsabres
Huskard on Thundertusk
Mournfang (8)
Gluttons (6)
Ironguts (8)
Yhetees (3)
Gnoblars (40)
Gorger
Leadbelchers (4)
Great Mawpot

yhetvsglut.JPG

hott.jpg

brawl.jpg

mournfang.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Kadeton said:

A Frostlord on Stonehorn is a strong inclusion in any Ogor list, regardless of what else you run. They love having the support of a wizard, but they don't really need any specific army synergies to do their thing.

Just be careful - the more Beastclaw stuff you include, the more you'll realise that Beastclaws are way more fun than Gutbusters, and you'll end up with a full Beastclaw army before you know what's happened. ;)

Gutbusters are WAAAAAY more fun!  I mean, unless you want to win more games than you lose.  

But seriously, I think a combo Ogors army works very nicely actually.  I think of it like substituting 8 Ironguts for a FLoSH, usually about equal in performance.  Substituting 8 Leadbelchers for a HoTT also about equal in performance.  Substituting 4 Mournfangs for 6 Gluttons however, Mournfangs win all day long with either weapon build.  Even with all BCR stuff I can't imagine not having at least 1 or 2 Slaughtermasters/Butchers in there with them.

• Like 1

Yeah, I probably would end up going full beastclaw raiders lol, thats the fear.

So whats the best way to run a frostlord on stonehorn?

And if I was to put in an allied Mega Gargant instead, is there a general view on which is best? Personally I think the Warstomper is coolest, maybe Gatebreaker next.

Also forgot to ask, are the Huskarls an alternative option that work for lower points? Maybe the one that increases the damage of mournfang pack attacks?

Edited by Adammck66
Forgot

11 hours ago, Adammck66 said:

So whats the best way to run a frostlord on stonehorn?

They don't really have many options, lol. The only real choice is mount trait, and Metalcruncher is by far the best choice there. Everything else is determined by your faction - I'd recommend Bloodgullet, and give the Splatter-cleaver to the Frostlord so he can distribute healing to everyone nearby (this faction also buffs your wizards, benefits Gluttons a bit, etc).

And if I was to put in an allied Mega Gargant instead, is there a general view on which is best? Personally I think the Warstomper is coolest, maybe Gatebreaker next.

They're all pretty comparable, really. The Gatebreaker is probably best in the current meta (highest damage output against Monsters, which are very popular) but go with your heart.

Also forgot to ask, are the Huskarls an alternative option that work for lower points? Maybe the one that increases the damage of mournfang pack attacks?

Huskards are a great option if your friends start to complain that Frostlords are too strong. The points you save are definitely not worth the downgrade - always take a Frostlord instead if you can afford to, unless you're intentionally building a softer list for friendly games.

Your average Mournfang pack probably benefits more from All-Out Attack than from Linebreakers. However, if you're already using All-Out Attack on another unit (e.g. Ironguts) then Linebreakers can be nice to have. I wouldn't take a Huskard specifically for it, though - think of it more like a nice bonus, or a consolation prize for not having a Frostlord.

Rules Question here as I journey into the generic ogor traits and artefacts. Currently looking at Arcane Tome + Touched by the Everwinter to make a do-it-all stonehorn lol. Did come across a particular butcher trait though that might be possible to pull off

So the generic butcher command trait Spell-Eater: Each time this general dispels an endles spell, it may heal any wounds allocated to it. If no wounds were allocated to this model, it may increase its wounds characteristic by 1. Additionally, each time this general dispels an endless spell, they can cast 1 additional spell that phase

If I dispel an endless spell in my opponents hero phase, do I gain the ability to cast a spell myself?

I doubt it works like I would want it to but I think it would be hilarious to take a two butcher combination where one drops down a low cv endless spell like burning head so that in my enemies hero phase I dispel it so I can cast a spell in their hero phase which would 100% be voracious maw. 

Edited by Schauer

22 minutes ago, Schauer said:

Rules Question here as I journey into the generic ogor traits and artefacts. Currently looking at Arcane Tome + Touched by the Everwinter to make a do-it-all stonehorn lol. Did come across a particular butcher trait though that might be possible to pull off

So the generic butcher command trait Spell-Eater: Each time this general dispels an endles spell, it may heal any wounds allocated to it. If no wounds were allocated to this model, it may increase its wounds characteristic by 1. Additionally, each time this general dispels an endless spell, they can cast 1 additional spell that phase

If I dispel an endless spell in my opponents hero phase, do I gain the ability to cast a spell myself?

I doubt it works like I would want it to but I think it would be hilarious to take a two butcher combination where one drops down a low cv endless spell like burning head so that in my enemies hero phase I dispel it so I can cast a spell in their hero phase which would 100% be voracious maw. 

Raw it works, rai probably not, but it hasnt been faqed and its not very op.

burning headwouldnt work because it goes away after it moves.

i wrote up a list that waslike 2 butchers 2fire eaters and flosh with  tome and cogs, spell portal and barrier. 
msu iron guts as bl. Butcher had wl trait +2 dispell artifact

never put it on the table, but could be fun. Might be able to 2-3 with it lol

Looking to take my Ogres for a spin soon with the following list. Mainly a fun game, not looking to be overly competitive but trying not to get steam rolled haha. Any thoughts on the list or tweaks you would make? I also thought about dropping the gluttons and butcher for more leadbelchers and a ironblaster, it seemed more thematic to underguts but a lot weaker.

image.png.0bd1c7894fb8e28dfc7ca91bc3efd575.png

Edited by GrungnisBeard

16 hours ago, GrungnisBeard said:

Looking to take my Ogres for a spin soon with the following list. Mainly a fun game, not looking to be overly competitive but trying not to get steam rolled haha. Any thoughts on the list or tweaks you would make? I also thought about dropping the gluttons and butcher for more leadbelchers and a ironblaster, it seemed more thematic to underguts but a lot weaker.

image.png.0bd1c7894fb8e28dfc7ca91bc3efd575.png

Leadbelchers hold their own surprisingly well in melee and IMO are the better unit between them and gluttons do to their access to rend. Sure you wont get exploding 6's but all the extra hits wont matter as much if youre constantly fighting 3+ 4+ save models. 

If you do opt for another ironblaster i'd reccomend taking trophy rack so that your Ironblasters can hero snipe pretty effectively. 

Seems like a really fun list!

17 minutes ago, Schauer said:

Leadbelchers hold their own surprisingly well in melee and IMO are the better unit between them and gluttons do to their access to rend. Sure you wont get exploding 6's but all the extra hits wont matter as much if youre constantly fighting 3+ 4+ save models. 

If you do opt for another ironblaster i'd reccomend taking trophy rack so that your Ironblasters can hero snipe pretty effectively. 

Seems like a really fun list!

Appreciate it! I may swap the Gluttons for another unit of leadbelchers and a couple of frost sabers (I think those points check out haha). Unfortunately if I drop one of the Butchers for another Ironblaster I won't be able to do the Warlord battalion so no second artefact for me :(. 

☠️next list that I will try...

my question was as I wrote in the other post remove butcher and add ironblaster and lose the trophy 

- Mawtribe: Underguts
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:
Kragnos, The End of Empires (720)
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Mass of Scars
- Artefact: Gruesome Trophy Rack
- Big Name: Fateseeker
Icebrow Hunter (125)
- Artefact: Gnoblar Blast Keg
Butcher (135)
- Cleaver
- Lore of Gutmagic: Blood Feast
4 x Leadbelchers (180)
4 x Leadbelchers (180)
4 x Leadbelchers (180)
2 x Frost Sabres (55)
Ironblaster (130)
Ironblaster (130)

Total: 1995 / 2000
Wounds: 110
Drops: 10

Perhaps, to no one's surprise, I was inspired by the new total war game to make an ogor army. (Been eyeing them up for a while) Unfortunately my area only does high level competitive play where shooting armies and iron jaws reign supreme. Sons and Tzeentch are on the gentler side around here. :P

I wanted to run a very mixed army but centering more around the gutbusters. Would it be possible to make a mixed army work at high level play or am I doomed to continue being curb stomped? (My last army was weak vs shooting. Or at least with my consistently bad rolls they were. :p)

Thanks for any advice. Happy winter to you all.

Edited by TheArborealWalrus

12 hours ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

Perhaps, to no one's surprise, I was inspired by the new total war game to make an ogor army. (Been eyeing them up for a while) Unfortunately my area only does high level competitive play where shooting armies and iron jaws reign supreme. Sons and Tzeentch are on the gentler side around here. :P

I wanted to run a very mixed army but centering more around the gutbusters. Would it be possible to make a mixed army work at high level play or am I doomed to continue being curb stomped? (My last army was weak vs shooting. Or at least with my consistently bad rolls they were. :p)

Thanks for any advice. Happy winter to you all.

If you ran Ironguts I think you wouldnt have too rough of a time but they are points heavy.

The lack of rend and the coherency rules for gluttons makes them hard to suggest. Leadbelchers for some reason have the more consistent melee profile thanks to their rend and their shooting is a nice bonus on top of it. 

Butcher/Slaughtermaster are A+ models though! 

All in all I wouldn't say you would be curbstomped but you will have some tougher games

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Schauer said:

All in all I wouldn't say you would be curbstomped but you will have some tougher games

Thanks for helping this aspiring Tyrant on his way.

What size is recommended for iron guts? 4s or 8s? Really, I suppose that question applies to all the units. I feel like the gluttons need a stat increase or a point drop. 260 for 6 feels bad. That's probably been said before though. :P (I like the idea of a glutton swarm bashing heads, but I don't see that happening. :( {still going to grab a bunch for fun games})

Are units of gorgers/yetis/saber tusks recommended to eat unleash heck? I love gnoblar models, are there any tricks for them or the other infantry? Could try to find a priest to get curse off with. *shrug* Firebellies are cheaper (and sort of fulfil the forgemaster role I had imagined) than butchers. Are they significantly worse? I never see the rhinox artillery being used, are they just not worth the 130pts? I get the impression that we're just rather point starved in general.

I had something like this in mind:      Winterbite is chosen soley to make shooting armies' day harder. I'm open to suggestions otherwise. Leadbelchers are for the idea of 4d6 unleash hell shots. Maybe Underguts then? Fits my theme idea of escaped chaos dwarf slaves better ... The artifact would still be the same, just swapping out for the relevant equivalent. Thoughts?

Spoiler

1975pts - Winterbite mawtribe

160pts - Tyrant - General, required command trait, Sky titan scatter pistols

430pts - Frost lord on Stonehorn - Metalcruncher, Frostfang

135pts - Butcher - Molten entrails

140pts - Slaughtermaster - Blood Feast

240pts - 40 Gnoblars!

245pts - 4 iron guts

245pts - 4 iron guts

180pts - 4 leadbelchers

180pts - 4 leadbelchers

20pts - burning head

Thanks for taking a look. Happy feasting to you!

Edited by TheArborealWalrus