AoS 3.0 - Ogor Mawtribes Discussion

Charleston

1 hour ago, Schauer said:

Rime Shroud got a bit better but yeah the loss of metalcruncher really dampens the viability of boulderhead now. 

Also not because we lost the hag but i really dont like these point costs ending in 5s. Feels like a gotcha way of balancing the game

More than one metal cruncher was always going to get removed. It was an oversight the first time. I still think boulderhead is viable with the right build. Dual Frostlord still works with Metalcruncher (gets Brand of the Svard) and Black Clatterhorn (takes a different artifact as needed). The Battleline versions will just be less effective.

On that note, I have 1xFLoSH, 1xHoTT, and I have just built a normal Stonehorn beastrider to boost my force. I have another kit, and I was thinking about diversifying into a Thundertusk Beastrider or perhaps a second HoTT for the dual priest prayer boost as well as more mortal wound options. What are peoples thoughts on which way to go?

3 hours ago, Mokoshkana said:

More than one metal cruncher was always going to get removed. It was an oversight the first time. I still think boulderhead is viable with the right build. Dual Frostlord still works with Metalcruncher (gets Brand of the Svard) and Black Clatterhorn (takes a different artifact as needed). The Battleline versions will just be less effective.

On that note, I have 1xFLoSH, 1xHoTT, and I have just built a normal Stonehorn beastrider to boost my force. I have another kit, and I was thinking about diversifying into a Thundertusk Beastrider or perhaps a second HoTT for the dual priest prayer boost as well as more mortal wound options. What are peoples thoughts on which way to go?

Assuming the fact the FAQ ruined ward saves I'd probably go FLoSH with Metalcruncher and Amulet of Destiny for a tanky load out and a FLoSH with Brand of Svard and Black Clatterhorn as an offensive option.

If in doubt on a behemoth magnetise, it's deceptively easy to do and will give you a lot more flexibility

I will be shocked if Stone Skeleton stacking with Amulet of Destiny (and all the other not-ward-saves stacking on top of each other) is allowed to continue for any longer than it takes them to scramble to fix it. It's a ruling that threatens to break the game completely.

2 hours ago, Kadeton said:

I will be shocked if Stone Skeleton stacking with Amulet of Destiny (and all the other not-ward-saves stacking on top of each other) is allowed to continue for any longer than it takes them to scramble to fix it. It's a ruling that threatens to break the game completely.

Theres worse offenders too than this. 

GK on a Terrorgheist with the right load out gets a save and then 3 separate opportunities to shake wounds. Now, Im not sure if it is THAT big of a deal, but this ruling is a weird step GW has taken with their rules when atleast I thought that the idea was to simplify these ward saves so that they are all under the same blanket. 

Speaking of Ironguts, does anyone have any thoughts on using Ironguts in a Boulderhead list instead of Mournfang? I feel like unless I'm going for a monster-mash its tough to fit in units of 4 Mournfang, but it's quite easy to fit 3x4 Ironguts. Of course this means you need a butcher or tyrant general, but that's not a huge issue to me, I don't think. What I was thinking is something along the lines of:

FLoSH - Brand, Metalcruch

FLoSH - Rune-tokens, Frost-hoof or Clatterhorn

Butcher(Gen) - Entrails

Butcher - Bloodfeast or Ribcracker

Firebelly - Billowing Ash

3x4 Ironguts

Comes to 1990 points, so I could run three Butchers. This is legal right? I find Mournfang tough to fit in and also don't gain a ton from Boulderhead as it is.

1 hour ago, Schauer said:

Theres worse offenders too than this. 

GK on a Terrorgheist with the right load out gets a save and then 3 separate opportunities to shake wounds. Now, Im not sure if it is THAT big of a deal, but this ruling is a weird step GW has taken with their rules when atleast I thought that the idea was to simplify these ward saves so that they are all under the same blanket. 

I'd guess the post-Ward save options will be singular. So once allocated after a failed Ward you get the one chance to stop it. Not multiple instances. That would help streamline without removing the perk entirely. 

Wow, I think a FLoSH with Amulet of Destiny could be tanky enough to withstand direct combat with a Gatebreaker now.  With double Warlord or Command Entourages, one could have another FLoSH with Manticore Venom for extra smashy horns.  

Gotta tinker with this, but I also like the idea of having Ironguts as Battleline, just because.

.....nevermind, the points don't work out.  Can't have double Warlord with 3 FLoSHs either.  

Edited by Lord Krungharr

So I played a game against my friend's Khorne with that list I had above, and we are both newer to AoS although played wargames and WHFB/40k most of our lives, but aren't by any means great players.

His list was basically Bloodthirster Insen. Rage with 2+ hit axe, Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury with Amulet, 2xSlaughterpriests, Skullgrinder, Secrator, 20 Blood warriors, 2x5 Flesh hounds, 5 Wrathmongers, 5 Skullreapers.

We played Tectonic Interference, so objective was the far right on my side, he moved up, took all the objectives, but my turn I activated the Rune tokens, got mystic shield off on that FL, and best day ever, moved 15" towards Ins Rage Bloodthirster, , moved the other FLoSH with Molten Entrails towards 20 blood warriors, and Ironguts moved up on the left side of the board and center.

Charged his Thirster and killed him with Horns and Spear, put the rest into some Flesh hounds, other FL took out 15 Blood warriors and 4 wounds back, ironguts killed 5 flesh hounds contesting the left beta objective, capturing it getting my Tactic(he also got Agr Expansion his turn).

His other Bloodthirster piled in and with him, the Skullcrushers, and flesh hounds did 2 wounds. The tokens are pretty crazy, and with 1+ save, rerolling, wow.

He won the roll off and essentially charged my FLoSH who killed the Blood Warriors with his wrath mongers and Skullgrinder in the center(which was the new alpha objective), failed his Blood Boil on him, and I failed my heal on the Token FL.

He attacked with the Skullgrinder and I used OOD and saved 4 3+ against him, which would have been 3 damage each, so definitely lucky. That was pretty much game, but then I killed his other Bloodthirster, because Tokens are still active, killed his Skullgrinder, his Wrathmongers left my center FL with 6 wounds left and the Token FL had still only taken 2.

So we called it 1.5 turns in. Our last three games have all been over in 1.5 turns, he won the first and I won the last two. I was playing the prior games with FloTT and the Frost Lords but I found I didn't miss him this game. Getting the Rune-Tokens on a Frost Lord is insane, although maybe moreso against melee armies.

I really have to get paying against other opponents and armies but it's been difficult with covid. Oh well.

• Like 1

Khorne must be pleased with that battle!  The Bloodthirster heavy armies can be pretty deadly for the unwary opponent, especially with a properly used Blood Tithe and Slaughterhost effects.  But Ogors have the Beastclaw toughness which is a great counter to much of the Blood God's tricks.  

If you can find some other battletomes on the cheap you could proxy-hammer for practice.  Not ideal but can be useful.

17 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Anybody using Gnoblars at all for screens?  They went up in points for some reason, but wondering if I should bother assembling my bag of 12 and getting a few more to make a unit.  Frost Sabres can be screens but when I take those I like to have them deepstrike with my Hunter usually.

I think Gnoblars are too expensive for what they provide. However if you decide to build some to flesh out the remaining eight you need, and you don't want to go with the generic ones from all of the Gutbuster kits, you can scratch build some the scraplauncher bits if you built a cannon. The seated Gnoblar looks pretty good one top of a treasure chest.

19 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Khorne must be pleased with that battle!  The Bloodthirster heavy armies can be pretty deadly for the unwary opponent, especially with a properly used Blood Tithe and Slaughterhost effects.  But Ogors have the Beastclaw toughness which is a great counter to much of the Blood God's tricks.  

If you can find some other battletomes on the cheap you could proxy-hammer for practice.  Not ideal but can be useful.

They can.

on the last tournament I went to a friend of mine, who played a bloodthirster of insensate rage, was able to activate his aoi mortal wounds ability 6 times, against a lumineth player in a single combat phase.

He did about 18mortals wounds to each lumineth unit

• Haha 1

For the Gutbuster purists, what mileage are folks getting out of Trophy + Ironblasters and larger squads of Leadbelchers in Underguts?

I'm working on my Underguts and have a few lists I'm going to try once they're all painted up (and hopefully by then COVID is under control so I can even play!). 

On 8/29/2021 at 7:42 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Yeah, the game he beat me his Insensate Rage Thirster really put in a lot of work, but he deployed wrong and didn't screen it properly this time so I just charged right in with my FLOSH with the Rune-tokens.

I started back into Warhammer/AoS in 2019 so over Covid jumped around a few armies from IJ to Tzeentch to IDK to Fyreslayers and finally settled on Ogors, so at least I've got some idea how other armies work.

My FLGS is opening up games during the week so I'm going to be getting in there to play, for sure. I think my strategy to start is just going to be charging first and asking questions later, but I'm worried about an opponent who can screen effectively. I'm prepared to lose a lot, but that's the best way to learn.

4 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I have yet to experience the Fyreslayers.  The Duardin might be my Order army assuming they get a unified tome someday.  

After my Sons of Behemat events coming up, I'll give a FLoSH with those Runes a try.  Timing is such a nuanced skill in gaming and life in general.  

Dude, I think we play the same armies. Fyreslayers, Ogors and Sons of Behemat! 

I remember reading about Yhetees being good on this forum, and found this link on BoLS about them winning something.  

AoS List Of The Week: Winterbite Beasts Win Big - Bell of Lost Souls

Got Kragnos in there, but might it be better to switch him out for perhaps a Hunter/6 Frost Sabres, maybe a SHBR or another Thundertusk for improved prayers, and something else?  

Yhetees seem so squishy but are so fast.  Their models are kinda meh and expensive though.  Trying to think of decent conversion opportunites for them.  But in the mean time I could proxy something to try them out.

For such a fast alpha strike type of unit I'm thinking at least Battle Regiment/Warlord for a 4 drop would be the way to go but might require like 2 Slaughtermasters/Butchers, which are never a bad thing to have.  But a lower drop shooty/magic army could melt all the ice before it can strike.

On 9/2/2021 at 9:29 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

I remember reading about Yhetees being good on this forum, and found this link on BoLS about them winning something.  

AoS List Of The Week: Winterbite Beasts Win Big - Bell of Lost Souls

Got Kragnos in there, but might it be better to switch him out for perhaps a Hunter/6 Frost Sabres, maybe a SHBR or another Thundertusk for improved prayers, and something else?  

Yhetees seem so squishy but are so fast.  Their models are kinda meh and expensive though.  Trying to think of decent conversion opportunites for them.  But in the mean time I could proxy something to try them out.

For such a fast alpha strike type of unit I'm thinking at least Battle Regiment/Warlord for a 4 drop would be the way to go but might require like 2 Slaughtermasters/Butchers, which are never a bad thing to have.  But a lower drop shooty/magic army could melt all the ice before it can strike.

I think Yhetees are really good because they give you a cheap battleline with a TT general, and also can avoid your army being Unleashed Helled by piling in 6".

• Like 1