Bonersplitterz in 3rd Edition

Jimmy Bob Jones

On 11/14/2021 at 4:44 PM, Shirtripper said:

Before the first turn, players capture objectives that they have models on that their opponents do not.  The way most missions work, an 8" pre-game move can let your units jump on an objective and capture them before the first turn starts.

Super interesting. But i'm looking at the exact ruling on this: 

After deployment but before the first battle round begins, half of the BONESPLITTERZ units in your army (rounding up) can move up to 5". If both players can move units before the first battle round begins, they must roll off, and the winner chooses who moves their units first.

After set-up is complete but before the first battle round begins, each player gains control of all objectives that are within 6" of any friendly models and more than 6" from all enemy models.

It's nobodies turn, so both effect happen at the same time. After deployement and after set-up seem to be simunaltenous effect? (just looking to have the right argument if this arise in a game haha)

53 minutes ago, broche said:

Super interesting. But i'm looking at the exact ruling on this: 

After deployment but before the first battle round begins, half of the BONESPLITTERZ units in your army (rounding up) can move up to 5". If both players can move units before the first battle round begins, they must roll off, and the winner chooses who moves their units first.

After set-up is complete but before the first battle round begins, each player gains control of all objectives that are within 6" of any friendly models and more than 6" from all enemy models.

It's nobodies turn, so both effect happen at the same time. After deployement and after set-up seem to be simunaltenous effect? (just looking to have the right argument if this arise in a game haha)

The way I've explained it is units are deployed, then we can move. Set-up is completed after deployment and after all other pre-first round effects are resolved. So you deployment > move > set-up is completed > objectives captured.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Shirtripper said:

The way I've explained it is units are deployed, then we can move. Set-up is completed after deployment and after all other pre-first round effects are resolved. So you deployment > move > set-up is completed > objectives captured.

Interesting. Still a bit unclear to me tough. I'm looking at Alpha beast pack, and it's not explicit that end of deployment and end of set-up are different. I feel it could get ruled either way in a tourney.

After armies have been set up but before the first battle round begins, you can make a normal move of up to D6" with each unit in this battalion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, broche said:

Interesting. Still a bit unclear to me tough. I'm looking at Alpha beast pack, and it's not explicit that end of deployment and end of set-up are different. I feel it could get ruled either way in a tourney.

After armies have been set up but before the first battle round begins, you can make a normal move of up to D6" with each unit in this battalion.

True--it'll be up to TO discretion but so far the boths TOs have ruled our way. The trick is I dont think there's a compelling argument to rule against us. But always check with the TO of course. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Yeah nice...would you mind putting up a photo of how you're positioning the Maniaks to get 8 in please?

Keen to copy you!

So I'm away from my minis right now, but this explain it well enough.  Usually I'm able to get them in a line like that.

Another thing you can do is if you encircle something it gets much easier to pile in and maintain coherency, since the boars encircling the model are all in coherency, and the rest just hang out waiting to take their place.

Doesn't work with a gargant or anything else on a pie-plate base, though.  Hope this helps!

Maniaks in combat.png

• Like 3

Played a game with this list last night vs a competitive Bloodtoofs army, batrep incoming...

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz
- Warclan: Icebone
- Grand Strategy: Get Dem Bones!
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (150)**
- Artefact: Glowin' Tattooz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Glowy Green Tusks
Wurrgog Prophet (150)**
- Artefact: Dokk Juice
Savage Big Boss (65)**
- General
- Command Trait: Great Hunter

Battleline
5 x Savage Boarboys (140)**
- Chompas
5 x Savage Boarboys (140)
- Chompas
5 x Savage Boarboys (140)
- Chompas

Units
10 x Savage Orruk Morboys (155)
10 x Savage Orruk Morboys (155)
4 x Savage Big Stabbas (160)*
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Spider Riders (100)
5 x Spider Riders (100)

Behemoths
Skitterstrand Arachnarok (200)
- Allies

Core Battalions
*Hunters of the Heartlands
**Warlord

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1975 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Allies: 200 / 400
Wounds: 187
Drops: 14

Edited by PlasticCraic
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

So for context: I was up against a competitive Bloodtoofs list, with the modern classic double Krusha and pigs.  Important to note though that my opponent is very new to IJ, and learning them for a teams event.  Mission was Savage Gains.

I wrote this list to make use of some cool units that I like (Big Stabbas, Spiderfang) and although it's not cutting-edge competitive, it's not trash either.

Deployment

20211122_201050.jpg.6cd849eae09e7665dda54d354199c679.jpg

Kicking off with the "Shirtripper Special," I pregame moved forward to claim the objectives.  It does come with the substantial cost that you're giving up an easy turn 1 Conquer, but it achieved the goal of spooking my opponent.  Not so much in terms of the alpha strike potential, but in this case moreso that I could run a few units and zone off the centre objectives.  So my opponent took first turn.

The goal was to set up little mini bunkers, with Big Stabbas ready to hit over the top of screens (2.5" back so they are in range to swing, but the opponent's 2" reach can't get to them).  And our boy the Wurrgog Prophet ready to murder people just by looking at them funny when they come up into range - I put the Glowin' Wurggog opposite the Destroyer Krusha, so avoiding the 5++ Amulet shrug on the other Krusha.  The 6++ shrug Wurggog on the other side could either stare at pigs or cast some spells.

Round 1 - Ironjawz

Here they come!  

20211122_202548.jpg.c6ef9002c9217d857dbee3fb0da87fd3.jpg

If there's one good thing about playing against Ironjawz, it's that you know exactly when to call your Bonesplitterz Waaagh.  My opponent went all in on the Alpha, which I believe was both a tactical and strategic error as he finds his way with Ironjawz.  

Tactical because he left the home objective open to my Skitterstrand, strategic because he should probably have attacked in waves (in my opinion).  As it is, a lot of his units were damage 1, and although he massacred large parts of my screens, he did leave himself very open to the counter punch.  Swapping units of 3 buffed pigs for my screens, then building up to the coup de grace, might have been the better play against Bonesplitterz - this build loves to soak up a big combat turn then hit back with a haymaker.

My opponent secured Conquer and both central objectives for a 7-0 start.  My screens were in tatters, but the Big Stabbas had done some reasonable chip damage in return, and we were ready to start staring.

Round 1 - Bonesplitterz

Now you see them....

20211122_210856.jpg.6525f466aeea2c8b8661833192d949ef.jpg

...now you don't!

20211122_210902.jpg.8816150a1e882a649e0f71fd319c33c8.jpg

The main Wurggog stared down a full unit of Gruntas.  Over on the other side, our boy blew himself up after putting out only 2 wounds into the other Gruntas, but we cleaned them up in combat no problem between the Big Stabbas and the Spider Riders that are just about to swing in the photo below.

20211122_212629.jpg.c79a031e9015faec206540ca8e7280bd.jpg

See that little fella up at the top?  Our Skitterstrand jumped right onto the objective and claimed Monstrous Takeover.  He even made the charge, and got into the Warchanter:

IMG-20211122-WA0053.jpg.57a43001a743777750795d87a66a1da9.jpg

Funnily enough, the Warchanter slapped 7 wounds on him with his one activation.  But even more funnily, the Skitter mercked him in return.  We already had that objective thanks to deploying directly onto it with 5 effective models, but killing Warchanters is always a good thing. 

The Destroyer Krusha is bleeding heavily after a few swings from Big Stabbas that are sitting 2.5" away, his own attacks having to go into the Boarboys that have locked him up.  We're sitting at 9-7 and already in a good position, although the Amulet Krusha is untouched and already building up extra wounds and attacks, with Fast Un up his sleeve.

Round 2 - Bonesplitterz

I won priority for the double, and my opponent was very exposed at this point.  The Destroyer Krusha went down, and although the Amulet Krusha is a force of nature, he can't be everywhere at once.

Screenshot_20211122-221635_Gallery.jpg.dded908f729b1b2fa78aa8e769df17e3.jpg

What clinched the game was running those Riders up the edge.  Billy Big Balls could come back and splatter the half-dead spider, but then he'd have to waste another turn moving over to the Spider Riders - otherwise they were poised to step straight back onto his home objective.  My opponent realised he was done, and that's all she wrote!  

Come on you Boyz in Green!

Thoughts on the game, and the army

I'm not going to oversell this, because my opponent really did play into my hands here as he learns Ironjawz.  But I do think it's a great matchup for this particular Bonesplitterz build whoever is at the helm, because they love a combat unit crashing into their screens.  Your opponent will get less value than they should on your 4++ turn, and you can start chipping away from the off with your 3" reach Stabbas.  Then they've stepped right into the lion's den and it's Wurrgog Time.

I loved running the Spiders, and they would be very hard to drop.  There's so much value in 100 point units that can flex between acting as mobile screens (strung out sideways, in this case to prevent superfast Krushas getting in over the top), chip damage mortal wounds to finish off a weakened unit, or fast trading pieces for objectives and Battle Tactics like Savage Spearhead. 

I would consider a unit or two as Allies in pretty much any list I run from now on - they are certainly not an auto-include, but they are most definitely the kind of piece you thank yourself for bringing once the battle is underway.

Similarly the Skitter pulled his weight, even though I picked him for Rule of Cool more than anything else.  He does give you access to Monster Battle Tactics, and the deep striking threat should give your opponent something to think about and keep them honest.

Two Wurggogs felt like plenty and any more is really for meme value in my opinion.  I'd even consider Amulet on the second one, because although you aren't getting full value (since you have a native 6++ ward) it's still a huge step up in survivability when the staring starts.

I am enjoying Bonesplitterz in 3rd, but I have also played them mainly in favourable matchups (ask again when I've been shot off by Dragons or Sentinels).  If I had one (realistic) wish it would be for the exploding 6+s to be army-wide.  It does feel a bit ****** that combat units like Big Stabbas and the Savage Big Boss are frozen out of it.

So thanks for reading, and please do let me know if you've got any feedback on the list. 

It's not set in stone, so I'm happy to develop it further - I don't think this is a truly competitive build, but it can scare the life out of a few who are - and importantly, it's a joy to play!  Lots of key decisions to make for both players, loads of big exciting moments, some of the coolest models in Warhammer and our favourite minigame of staring people off the board (sometimes including ourselves) - what's not to love?

Edited by PlasticCraic
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

41 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Kicking off with the "Shirtripper Special,"

Talk about an honor! I'm glad it worked out for you. That first turn move completely warps how your opponent's play--pure psychological warfare.

I've personally always been a fan of spiders aesthetically, and I'm honestly hoping that we see a points drop for them in the December FAQ.  Personally, I'm looking at 2x Skitterstrands to take advantage of Savage Spearhead with a Monster. The Spider Riders are definitely on the to-test list. In fact, I've got a a casual event coming up that I just might take them to!

Thanks for the write-up as always. Good to see that we can have fun with this army and still do some serious work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shirtripper said:

I've personally always been a fan of spiders aesthetically, and I'm honestly hoping that we see a points drop for them in the December FAQ.  Personally, I'm looking at 2x Skitterstrands to take advantage of Savage Spearhead with a Monster. The Spider Riders are definitely on the to-test list. In fact, I've got a a casual event coming up that I just might take them to!

Yeah I want to test 2 Skitters for the same reason.  It will be hard to give up the Spider Riders but they are just a cheaper version of what we have in Boarboyz, so I will def give double Skitters a crack at some point!

• Like 1

Nice report!

I like the addition of spider! I want to test some monster in my BS list as well (toying between Mangler, Troggboss or Aleguzzler as I don't own Spider). I dont dislike the Rogue Idol, but I find it to be on the expensive side for what it does (and I hate that it doesn't fly)

I think it fit nicely to fill the battle regiment slot (and unlocking a battle tactic, always nice). I also like varying the type of model. A problem i've with pure horde is that it's longer to play, sometime leaving you less time to think over important decision.

• Like 1

So I now had the chance to try every sub-faction. At first, it seemed evident to me that Icebone was the way to go (unlock a good battleline + nice army wide ability). Yesterday I elected to try Bonegrinz for the good old Arrowboy ( I won't report because i was playing against squig and it's almost an autowin), but i did some math hammer before the game to analyse the weight of subfaction, and give rationnal to wich unit fit better in each.

Obviously we all know Icebone now and I will use it as my baseline. To measure the expected damage increase from the allegiance, i've use the simple metric of expected damage against 4+ save, and calculate the increase in damage per attack for different scenario. Depending of the hit and rend of unit, you get a value between 0.0185 and 0.555 extra net damage per attack. 

Translate into a more gamewise aspect, you would get the following value (in extra net damage after save)

- 10 charging boars (assuming 8 in contact): 2.66 

- 10 charging morboys (10 in contact): 2 (2.66 if you give them +1 to hit)

- 4 big stabbas: 0.22

So Icebone basicly act like a flat damage increase for all your army. The better it get the higher the save you're up against. It also lose value on high rend unit (big stabbas, Rogue Idol)

Now let look at Drakkfoot

Drakkfoot is hard to analyse because it can be very good against some army, but useless against other. So you need to consider it first to unlock Morboys, who are IMO plainly better than savage orruk. But to put a value on their ability is quite tough. I think it safe to assume that most army will have at least 1 ward save (amulet of destiny is everywhere). So let's take an army with no ward except the amulet (like Ironjaw or Son of Behemat). So against a Maw Krusha with amulet it can worth an extra 10 damage spike (assuming you're going for the MK kill) or even 20 damage against a Megagargant. But i think that right now the biggest argument for Drakkfoot would be the high prevalence of Lumineth in the meta (they have a 5++ ward save bubble). 

High rend value (Big stabbas and Rogue Idol) gain value elect to go Drakkfoot.

Finally Bonegrinz

Bonegrinz is interesting as it allow you to go for a 30 arrowboys block (as well as boosting them). But how does it translate into damage efficiency? Fortunatly it's relatively easy to calculate.

Imagine you don't want to use bonegrinz, but still want some shooting and elect to use 30 arrowboys (20 + 10). Assume you use all out attack each shooting phase, you're 30 arrowboys will output 11.25 net damage against 4+. That is an extra 4.6 damage per shooting phase over your 20+10 unbuffed arrowboys (with a +1 to hit on the 20 block as well). Moreover, you need to consider the extra potential you'll get from Unleash hell. Sure it's just 6 up, but 90 shoot will still net you 3.75 net damage after save (or 2 more than the 20 arrowboys shooting), or an extra 6.5 per battle round. Not to shabby.

In the list I was using yesterday, I was betting high on triumph for the +1 to wound as well. So the first Arrowboys volley of the game can do 30 damage before save. That is a nice damage spike and will put pressure on lot of army. Since early game damage as more value than late game damage, this can be enough to justify this allegiance over Icebone.

In summary, while Icebone is still the default clan to go (simple overall bonus, good in most matchup), both Drakkfoot and Bonegrinz avec their niche as more specialized list.

Thanks for reading, and hope you learned something :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shirtripper said:

Thanks for this!  I'll be playing a Bonegrinz list with a gargant and 30 arrowboyz next weekend and trying for the triumph each game. I'll report back how it goes!

You use the Aleguzzler Gargant?

Not sure of your exact list, but if you go for triumph you might consider using an extra enhancement for the immune battleshock one. Since we have low bravery, and you can use it after failing a battleshock it's much better than Inspiring presence (and it give you redundancy for 1 turn if you need it)

17 minutes ago, broche said:

You use the Aleguzzler Gargant?

Not sure of your exact list, but if you go for triumph you might consider using an extra enhancement for the immune battleshock one. Since we have low bravery, and you can use it after failing a battleshock it's much better than Inspiring presence (and it give you redundancy for 1 turn if you need it)

Forgot the mega in mega-gargant--I'll be using a kraken eater for kicking objectives. :)

I was planning on a one drop as I'm really big on it, but that triumph idea is tempting. I'll have to give it some thought!

9 minutes ago, Shirtripper said:

Forgot the mega in mega-gargant--I'll be using a kraken eater for kicking objectives.

I'm curious what's the mechanic to include a mega gargant in BS? i didn't know you could!

edit: NM found the rule in SoB tome. Really nice!

Edited by broche

1 minute ago, broche said:

I'm curious what's the mechanic to include a mega gargant in BS? i didn't know you could!

So Mega Gargants can be taken as "Mercenaries" in AOS, with restrictions on which ones determined by your grand alliance. Death can take Gatecrashers, Order Krakeneaters, Chaos Warstompers, and Destruction can take any of them. They dont have the SoB battle traits so they only count as 5 models, and you cant take any other allies, but they're still really good.

My intention is to kick objectives under the 30 arrowboyz and see what happens. :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shirtripper said:

Thanks for this!  I'll be playing a Bonegrinz list with a gargant and 30 arrowboyz next weekend and trying for the triumph each game. I'll report back how it goes!

That is probably going to be one of the best ways to run them to be honest. They need a distraction to keep your opponent from focusing them down, and a Gargant makes a great one. I recommend an Emerald life swarm as well. It will keep the gargant topped off, and can help replenish your brick.

• Like 2

Good write up @broche, I totally agree on Morrboys right now

What's your Kraken-Eater list @Shirtripper?

I came up with this one-drop, which uses the Gatebreaker...you could easily swap him for Bundo and a Triumph bid though:

Spoiler

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (150)*
Savage Big Boss (65)*
- General
Big Drogg Fort-Kicka (525)*
- Allies

Battleline
15 x Savage Boarboys (420)*
- Stikkas
- Reinforced x 2
10 x Savage Boarboys (280)*
- Chompas
- Reinforced x 1
- Chompas
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Savage Boarboys (140)*
- Chompas
- Chompas

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 525 / 400
Wounds: 183
Drops: 1

• Like 1

The Drakkfoot version could be fun:

Spoiler

- Warclan: Drakkfoot

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (150)*
Savage Big Boss (65)*
- General
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Savage Orruk Morboys (155)*

Units
- Chompas
- Chompas
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1965 / 2000
Wounds: 186

• LOVE IT! 1

38 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Good write up @broche, I totally agree on Morrboys right now

What's your Kraken-Eater list @Shirtripper?

I came up with this one-drop, which uses the Gatebreaker...you could easily swap him for Bundo and a Triumph bid though:

Reveal hidden contents

- Triumphs:

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (150)*
Savage Big Boss (65)*
- General
- Allies

Battleline
15 x Savage Boarboys (420)*
- Stikkas
- Reinforced x 2
- Chompas
- Reinforced x 1
- Chompas
- Reinforced x 1
- Chompas
- Chompas

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 183

The event is a more casual affair, so take it with a grain of salt lol.

So I'm going back and forth between these two, both are one-drops so my Arrowboyz dont get tagged. It basically boils down to more bodies or taking an emerald lifeswarm and fishing for a triumph. In the below case, it'd be taking out 10x Orruks for 2x Big Stabbas and an Emerald Lifeswarm, which puts the list at 1960. (Taking Chompas on Orruks since thats what I got.)

Eitherway it comes out at ~200 wounds on either list, which is a lot to chew through even without the Waaagh active.

- Warclan: Bonegrinz
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Savage Big Boss (65)*
- General
Wurrgog Prophet (150)*
Bundo Whalebiter (490)*
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (435)*
- Reinforced x 2
20 x Savage Orruks (330)*
- Chompas
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (145)*

Units
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (290)*
- Reinforced x 1
2 x Savage Big Stabbas (80)*

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1985 / 2000
Allies: 490 / 400
Wounds: 206

Edited by Shirtripper
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

The Drakkfoot version could be fun:

Hide contents

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (150)*
Savage Big Boss (65)*
- General
- Allies

Battleline

Units
- Chompas
- Chompas
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1965 / 2000
Wounds: 186

Now you're talking!

I'm going to proxy this and test it. Since it'll be a 2 drop due to the units, I'd probably trade out the two boarboys with 10x maniaks. They do SO much work.

22 minutes ago, Shirtripper said:

Now you're talking!

I'm going to proxy this and test it. Since it'll be a 2 drop due to the units, I'd probably trade out the two boarboys with 10x maniaks. They do SO much work.

Oh yeah!  It was an adaptation of the first list, so I just defaulted to chucking everything in the Regiment without double checking...oops!  It'll be a little higher drops either way then, but good shout on the 10x Maniaks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Oh yeah!  It was an adaptation of the first list, so I just defaulted to chucking everything in the Regiment without double checking...oops!  It'll be a little higher drops either way then, but good shout on the 10x Maniaks.

There's a world where I want to test out what a Big Stabba centered works like in 3rd. The idea being that in games with 18" deployments, the 8" pregame move + 5" move for Big Stabbas means a 5" charge on average with the entire front line.

If you change the list below to Icebone and swap out Morboys for Boarboys, you free up enough points for Chronomantic Cogs for that sweet +1 to charge.

- Triumphs:

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (150)**
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Power of the Were-boar
Savage Big Boss (65)*
- General

Battleline