Bonersplitterz in 3rd Edition

Jimmy Bob Jones

Thinking about going first vs going 2nd, playing for a double turn, etc.  with Bonesplitterz, is it ever worth taking anything but a Battle Regiment or 2?  Besides Glowin Tattooz, not real sure any of the artefacts, even the generic ones, are worth taking.  We already have the 6+ ward save all over the place, and the heroes are not gigantic beatsticks who would greatly benefit from Manticore Venom.  Or does it depend on the build for us somehow?  With the Tireless Trackers I'm just seeing fast and furious being the best option, since we're not super tanky.

40 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Thinking about going first vs going 2nd, playing for a double turn, etc.  with Bonesplitterz, is it ever worth taking anything but a Battle Regiment or 2?  Besides Glowin Tattooz, not real sure any of the artefacts, even the generic ones, are worth taking.  We already have the 6+ ward save all over the place, and the heroes are not gigantic beatsticks who would greatly benefit from Manticore Venom.  Or does it depend on the build for us somehow?  With the Tireless Trackers I'm just seeing fast and furious being the best option, since we're not super tanky.

I think having the choice of 1st turn in BS is indeed strong. However there is some drawback to it as well like often having to drop your whole army before your opponent.

Personally I think the strongest enhancement choice for Bonsesplitterz are the extra triumph. The after-battleshock triumph is super good for us and both the reroll charge and +1 to wound are good as well (+1 to wound especially good if you use arrowboys or big squad of big stabbas)

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 11:54 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

Besides Glowin Tattooz, not real sure any of the artefacts, even the generic ones, are worth taking.  We already have the 6+ ward save all over the place, and the heroes are not gigantic beatsticks who would greatly benefit from Manticore Venom.  Or does it depend on the build for us somehow?  With the Tireless Trackers I'm just seeing fast and furious being the best option, since we're not super tanky.

Yeah, last edition Mork's Boney Bitz was a decent pick, as you could reliably get a +3 to cast, which put us in A tier when it came to spell battles. Now it is only situationally not useless. Amulet of Destiny was a good pick, but it's pointless for us now. I guess Lucky Bone could be ok, but I wouldn't go out of your way for it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bonzai said:

Please tell us how it does! 

Just saw that there was exactly 1 Bonesplitterz list in the LVO. Looking forward to seeing how they perform.

1-2 going into Saturday-- He lost to 60x Irondrakes Hallowheart and Varanguard + Archaon but won against SCE with 6x Longstrikes + Stormdrake guard

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dang it, now I need another 40 Arrowboys?!  

I will post my battle report here from last night (also in the new Bonesplitterz thread in the Warclans forum.

Did a practice-learning game with my Dispossessed vs my new Bonesplitterz last night.  I went with Greywater Fastness but pretty much forgot to use anything from there.  Bonesplitterz were Icebone.  Mission: Apex Predators.  Realm: Purple Vortex Carpet Land

Dwarves: Warden King (general, Seat on the Council, Amulet of Destiny)/ Runelord (Curse)/ Runelord (Guidance)/ allied Runesmiter/ LordArcanum on Gryph/ 30 Longbeards w Great Axes/2x10 Irondrakes w torpedoes/10 allied Hearthguard Berzerkers w poleaxes/2 Fulminators/ 3 Gyrocopters.

Orruks: Savage Big Boss (general, Great Hunter for the extra pregame move)/ Wurgogg Prophet (Glowin' Tatooz)/ Wurgogg/ Wardokk/ Wardokk/ Maniak Weirdknob (Green Glowy Tusks)/ 2x10 Savage Orruks w stikkas/5 Boarboys w stikkas/10 Boarboy Maniaks/2x4 Big Stabbas/20 Arrowboys

Deployment

Deployment.jpg

Both armies had 2 Battle Regiments, but the Dwarves won the side choice and decided to go first to try to nab those objectives before the Orruks could.....but the Orruks moved up 8" before the game and had a big bunch of heroes near the center.

Tireless Trackers.jpg

The Lord-Arcanum and Fulminators had no trouble getting to that far objective and wiping out the 5 Boarboys.  Runesmiter and HGBs high-tailed it to their side objective trying to block the feeble priest with their hulking beard-saves.  The wall of Longbeards and Irondrakes and heroes marched quickly as they could to the center but could not charge because they ran for Ferocious Advance.  Probably shoulda tried to charge instead.  Gyrocopters flew up to do some hurt to the Maniaks and got rid of 3 of them (as I've never run cavalry before I gave myself a mulligan on their coherency, otherwise they would have lost 3 more from that!  Noob mistake).  Ferocious Advance achieved plus max objective points!  5 points total for dwarves.

End of Round 1.jpg

Then bottom of turn 1, things get ugly, or beautiful, depending on your species.  Savage Boss, 10 stikkaboys, and 4 Big Stabbas get Ferocious Advance.  General Wurgogg rolls a 1 to stare down the Warden King 😛  Maniaks get their Glowy Green Tusks and Mystic Shield, whilst a Wardokk gives +1 save to 10 stikkaboys who aim to charge the Fulminators as the Wardokk moves towards the Lord-Arcanum's objective.  Arrowboys went all out attack on the Longbeards for 2 dead Longbeards.  Maniaks charge the Longbeards=12 dead Longbeards and in return 3 dead Maniaks (as the Longbeards had the Rend-2 prayer on them AND the Ancestral Shield  6+ ward save).   Stikkaboys charge and kill exactly 1 Fulminator BUT I gave the Dwarves a mulligan here as I noticed the Lord-Arcanum has something called Cycle of the Storm, which negates a wound/MW that would kill a Stormcast model nearby.  5 dead stikkaboys I think after that.  Orruks at 3 points as a Wurgogg stepped a bit to capture the center objective, and they got Ferocious Advance.

Big Scrum Turn 2-3.jpg

Orruks get Turn 2 Priority!  1 Wurgogg whiffs his mask again, but the other manages to stare at the Longbeards long enough to wipe them out!  Arrowboys move towards the Lord-Arcanum, all out attack and DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  Maniaks charge some Irondrakes, and get hell unleashed upon their faces, and 2 dead Maniaks.  However the Savage Big Boss and Big Stabbas charge the HGBs, the big boss piles in 3" to nail the Runesmiter dead with his mighty Gorktoof axe, and then the Stabbas immediately get to attack the HGBs for 4 dead there.  But then the HGBs strike back and kill a couple Big STabbas AND the Savage Boss.  Big Stabbas fail to kill any Duardin heroes in the center.  So 2 points for Broken Ranks, plus 1 point for the center objective.  Total of 6 for the Orruks now.

Arrowboys have a target.jpg

Then the Warden King fails to generate CPs twice, decides to stand on his Oathstone.  But a Runelord does Guidance for a CP, the other gives some Drakes a 6++.  Lord-Arcanum casts Healing LIght on the Fulminators on a 10......but the Wardokk says Mork sez NO and rolls a natural 11!  No Healing Light.  So he rides the aetheric winds over to the objective by the HGBs, but fails the charge so he doesn't capture that objective.  Irondrakes kill off the Maniaks and a unit of Big Stabbas,  HGBs fail to do any MW to the remaining Stabbas and they lived.  The Wardokk actually kills a Fulminator before dieing himself WOOT!   0 points as they failed to Conquer, and no objective points.  still 5 points for Dwarves.

Turn 3 Orruks go first again.  Dwarves burn the center objective.  Wurgogg gets Slay The Warlord with a good healthy staredown!  Sorry Warden King.  Maniak Weirdknob retreats cuz he's fast to go over towards the Fulminator's objective.  Arrowboys shoot and charge that Fulminator to finish him off.  HGBs kill the Stabbas.  So 2 points for the Slay the Warlord but no objective points.  8 points for Orruks total.

Turn 3.jpg

The Gyrocopters retreated and zipped deep into enemy territory to achieve Savage Spearhead, but no objective points are gotten.  So 7 total for Dwarves

After Bottom of Turn 3.jpg

Turn 4 I just went fast mode and rolled for Priority, Dwarves got it!  So the last Runelord with a CP run could have gotten the objective point but not achieved any other Battle Tactics, so figure another Dwarf point for 8 total.  Plus Hold the Line for 11.

The Maniak Weirdknob would get the other far objective and the center heroes probably could have nabbed Savage Spearhead themselves for another 3, so figure 11 total for the Orruks.  Plus Prized Sorcerery for 14.

Close HARD game, staving off brainfog by learning 2 armies at once.   Good stuff!  Orruks get dibs on next painted units. (plus they're primed and the Dwarves are not yet, it's winter).

• Like 3

Thinking about Drakkfoot builds vs Icebone. 

I favor Icebone generally cuz it's always on, but units with few attacks perhaps aren't as useful for lack of extra hits, and thus less MW potential.  So perhaps units like Savage Big Bosses and Boarboy Maniaks are better, but what about battlelines....would Boarboys always be the choice over Stikka-boys on foot?  I mean the Boars are battleline for Icebone anyways but the model count is higher for the foot troops, and they still get to hit mostly from the 2" range.

For Drakkfoot, guess I'd use the Stikka-boys for battleline, but then I'm thinking switch to Big Stabbas, more Wurrgoggs and a Rogue Idol.  For ignoring ward saves, might as well ignore armor right?  

Just wondering if others were thinking similarly for the army lists for each subfaction.  Would love to fight Nurgle, that Daughters of Khaine one, Fyreslayers Hearthguard spam, and Phoenix Temple with Drakkfoot :D

On 2/3/2022 at 7:57 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Thinking about Drakkfoot builds vs Icebone. 

I favor Icebone generally cuz it's always on, but units with few attacks perhaps aren't as useful for lack of extra hits, and thus less MW potential.  So perhaps units like Savage Big Bosses and Boarboy Maniaks are better, but what about battlelines....would Boarboys always be the choice over Stikka-boys on foot?  I mean the Boars are battleline for Icebone anyways but the model count is higher for the foot troops, and they still get to hit mostly from the 2" range.

For Drakkfoot, guess I'd use the Stikka-boys for battleline, but then I'm thinking switch to Big Stabbas, more Wurrgoggs and a Rogue Idol.  For ignoring ward saves, might as well ignore armor right?  

Just wondering if others were thinking similarly for the army lists for each subfaction.  Would love to fight Nurgle, that Daughters of Khaine one, Fyreslayers Hearthguard spam, and Phoenix Temple with Drakkfoot :D

I think Icebone's the clear winner between sub Factions for us, as it doesn't depend on what your opponents bringing. That being said, I have run Drakkfoot since 1st edition,and will continue to do so. My current list is:

- Army Faction: Orruk Warclans
     - Army Type: Bonesplitterz
     - Subfaction: Drakkfoot
     - Grand Strategy: Get Dem Bones!
     - Triumph: Bloodthirsty
LEADERS
Wurrgog Prophet (150)*
     - Artefacts of Power: Glowin’ Tattooz
     - Spells: Gorkamorka’s War Cry
Wardokk (80)*
     - Spells: Power of the Were-boar
Savage Big Boss (65)*
     - General
     - Command Traits: Great Hunter
BATTLELINE
10 x Savage Orruk Morboys (155)*
BEHEMOTH
1 x Rogue Idol (430)*
OTHER
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (290)*
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (290)*
2 x Savage Big Stabbas (80)**
2 x Savage Big Stabbas (80)**
ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
1 x Emerald Lifeswarm (60)
CORE BATTALIONS
 -  *Battle Regiment
 -  **Hunters of the Heartlands
TOTAL POINTS: 1990/2000
Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

I was running double Idol for a while, but I felt it was lacking in force projection and needed more units. So I dropped one, and some extra characters. Now I feel like the list is a little more balanced, but can still pull off all of the tricks that I used to. 

Now my list is 3 drops. I have more speed with the 2 maxed Boar units, two of the Moreboys will be backed up with big stabbas, with the third screening my characters. Still have my healing and caster buffs, as well as a monster to try and grab bonus points with. I will probably change my Grand Strategy, but I need more games with it before I settle on one.

This is my 3rd list attempt with the new book. Hopefully this one will work out better.

• Like 1

I can almost hear their screaming warcries! 

I have 12 Big Stabbas on my painting bench right now;  went ahead and did all the Gorkteef an icy blue, figured a good contrast to the green and will look interesting on the table too.  

While previous incarnations of Bonesplitterz aren't familiar to me, they seem pretty solid in the new book compared to other armies I've played and played against.  Does seem like Morboys and Boarboy Maniaks should be getting the +1 to wound AND the +1 attack on the charge, maybe another 20 points or so?  I mean, they're the same as plain Savage Orruks but without the shield, so crappier save but MOR attacks make sense, but no MOR woundyness? 

Double Rogue Idol would be neat.  Thought they used to be like 380 points back when I was trying Gloomspite and considering getting 1 for an ally.  Then we could run 3, with a Wardokk behind each one, and 3 minimum Boarboys, and a Wurgogg.  Guess that would be pretty low on models though.  Still, if I find enough random bits, I might have to make another idol.

Another fun project would be more Savage Bosses, Predatorruks, that look like Predator but Orky with boney blade claws and a spear.  Guess 1 could be Wurgogg with a shoulder mounted magic-laser-mask :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

While previous incarnations of Bonesplitterz aren't familiar to me, they seem pretty solid in the new book compared to other armies I've played and played against.  

First edition we had a few things going for us. Point for point, we had some of the cheapest wounds that we could flood the board with. We had an incredible list of spells, and lots of ways to boost our casting upto to a +3. Monster hunters was a fun and flavorful rule that let us compensate for not having any of our own. Another common theme we had was multi activations, which was balanced by the fact that the stats on our units were really lack luster for the most part. The one exception was Arrowboys who could have three shots and with kunning rukk could also fire in the hero phase. It was so much better than anything else in the book that was pretty much all you saw. Either as a pure Bonesplitterz list, or as a component in a grand alliance destruction list that was a top performer at the time. Subfactions at the time were seldom used due to having to pay points for them. Overall we were very competitive, but got a lot of flack due to our shooting phase taking forever.

Second edition saw a slight points increase, but we no longer had to buy our Subfactions. Our Battalions were nerfed a bit, but our statlines were boosted so it evened out. We also got access to rogue Idols. Kunning Rukk was still a thing, but two maxed squads of arrowboys had the same output. The Subfactions were all used, and played very differently. Bonegrinz focused on the tried and true tactics of flooding the board with boys with shields. You could stack save bonuses on them with a spell and Wardokk, and then re'roll 1's with mystic shield. 60 wounds with a 3+/6+ rerolling ones was a tough brick to shift, and their Subfaction ability would help keep them in place. Icebone was the calvary choice, though probably the least used. Drakkfoot was the most common choice, and was the caster forward choice and often used arrowboys and Idols for the heavy lifting. Overall we weren't as competitive a choice as we were in 1st edition, but we had a lot more versatility and had much better internal balance.

Early 3rd edition we had an extremely powerful list that accidentally popped up. Wardokks had the Priest tag, so they could do the curse prayer. Combined with a maxed squad of arrowboys, Drakkfoot, and monster hunters we were surprisingly scary. Scary as in tabling Gargant lists in 2 turns scary. In that short time we had some top place wins, mainly because we fed on son's of Behemet, but it was pretty strong all around.

Now with the new book we are basically running Icebone and last time I checked the stats, no one has placed better than 3-2 in a 5 round event. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If I can muster the will and stamina to do another 5 round event later this year (not doing Adepticon unfortunately) then I will aim to go 4-1!  Many diverse armies in my area with many good players for good practice.  Shame we lost the Priest keyword on anything.  Seems like the Wardokks fit that role precisely, and yet, are not.

Lol, my last post got me all nostalgic. Went and dug up some of my old lists. It was fun to see how things evolved over time.

1st edition list.

Heroes
Wurrgog Prophet (General): Glowing Tattoos, hand of gork, Squirmy war paint140
Wardokk: Big Wurrgog Mask, brutal beast spirits 80
Wardokk: mystic Waaagh paint, Bone Krusha 80
Wardokk: Gorkamorka’s war cry 80
Wardokk: Squiggly curse 80

Battleline
30 Moreboys 360
30 Moreboys 360
5 Savage Boarboy Maniacs 160
5 Savage Boarboy Maniacs 160

Behemoth
Incarnate Elemental of Beasts 300

Battalions
Kopp Rukk 100
Drakkfoot 60

Total: 1960

This list was one drop, thanks to the Drakkfoot Battalion, and got 2 extra artifacts from the 2 Battalions. 2 Wardokks would go with each brick, and get a +2 casting bonus. This could be further improved with the Wardokks dance to a 3+. This is important as the Incarnate Elemental of Beasts was a spell that you bought and had to be cast on a 11+. The Drakkfoot's bonus spell let's you pile in and attack, and it needs an 8+. So casting bonuses are important in this list.

The strategy was to max out the bonuses to cast on a Wardokk and cast the Incarnate Elemental of Beasts. It would then become a distraction carnifex and tear into the opponent. If it died,  then it triggered the Moreboys +1 to hit and the Kopp rukk was already giving them +1 to wound. Brutal beast spirits could add another +1 to hit, so they were hitting and wounding on 2's with their chompas. The idea was to do multiple attack activations whenever possible. The Wurrgogs command ability and the Drakkfoot's spell both gave one, the Maniacs attacked a second time on a turn that they charge, and the Elemental attacks again if it is killed in combat. I had a strong casting game and each caster can dish out mortal wounds. Back then there wasn't a lot of things that could shrugg off mortal wounds.

It was a fun list to play, but some games you just couldn't get the Elemental off. When that happens you are basically playing 460 points less than your opponent, and it got rough. It was also short on units, so losses hurt. Fast, high output armies could chew through it. Still, this is what got me hooked on Bonesplitterz in general and Drakkfoot in particular, and established my preferred play style with them.

2nd edition

Subfaction: Drakkfoot
Hero
Wurrgog Prophet: (General): Fireball, Mork's Boney bits, Breath of Gork160
Wardokk: Burning tattoo's, Brutal Beast Spirits 80
Wardokk: Bone Krusha 80
Wardokk: Kunnin Beast Spirits 80
Wardokk: Gorkamorka’s warcry 80

Battleline
30 arrowboys 360
10 Boarboys (stikkas) 280
10 Boarboys (stikkas) 280
10 Savage Orrks (chompas) 120

Behemoth
Rogue Idol 420

50 points (extra artifact)
Total: 1990

The Elemental is out, but the Rogue Idol was in. Kunning beast spirits and Wardokk dance upgraded his saves to a 2+ which was rerollable with mystic shield, and it had a 5+ shrug. This made him an absolute tank, and the wardoks can heal him. He would be backed up with the arrowboys who would be buffed by Brutal beast spirits. The casting game is still strong with this list, and it still dishes out a lot of mortal wounds. The Wurrgog can get a +3 to cast to help make for some brutal fists of gork. With the drakkfoot command ability I could unbind 7 spells a turn, all with some nice bonuses. And of course the Drakkfoots Faction abilitiy was a great perk.

This list was a lot stronger and more reliable than my previous editions list, but it kept the same spirit and was a fun list to play. It certainly held its own.

Early 3rd edition

Sub Faction: Drakkfoot 

Heroes
Wurrgog Prophet : (General) mork's boney bits, kunning beast spirits 170
Wardokk: guidance, breath of gorkamorka 80
Wardokk: heal, gorka morka warcry 80
Wardokk: curse, brutal beast spirits, burning tattoo 80

Battleline
30 Arrow Boys 390
5 Boar Boys 140
5 Boar Boys 140

Behemoth 
Rogue Idol 420
Rogue Idol 420

Endless Spells
Emerald Life Swarm 60

Battalions: Warlord, alpha beast pack

Total: 1995

3rd edition brought huge changes. Wardokks had the Priest tag and finally could do something with it. So not only were they able to cast Spells and dance, but now pray as well. The curse prayer was huge. Turning all 6's to hit into mortal wounds on the target unit. The brick of arrowboys are now averaging 22 regular wounds and 15 mortal wounds when the curse went off. No more save stacking so I ran 2, but the healing capabilities were even higher. A healing prayer, Wardokk dances, and now the Lifeswarm. Being able to retain control of your Endless Spells made the Lifeswarm a consistent source of healing, and it could return models to your arrowboys on a 3+. Between that and rally you have solid unit replenishment. I was also winning the command point game. I had the prayer, the heroic action, and the Wurrgogs ability to net some extra points.

I didn't get to play this list long, but it was most certainly the most powerful version of the army that I have played to date. I didn't ever feel like I had an unwinnable game.

Now

Now post battletome I am still trying to get my feet under me, as the play style I loved really isn't working anymore. Our spell Lore has been gutted, and casting now comes with a steep opportunity cost. Our troop options have been restricted so it limits our options and shoehorn us to build a certain way. Hopefully I will find something that clicks for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Question for da Prophets....in Icebone looking for the last couple of units to fill out the list and im considering either Maniaks or Regular boarboyz (I alread have my three battleline either way). My pros/cons as far as i can tell are:

Maniaks (+) have more attacks to proc mortal wounds, dont give up broken ranks (-) cant help score grand strat or cap objectives as battleline

Boarboyz (+) are battleline for grand strats/scenerios, better save (-) give up broken ranks

I am thinking either Waaagh or Hold the Line for my Grand Strategy. What are your opinions on the matter?

6 hours ago, Oreaper84 said:

Question for da Prophets....in Icebone looking for the last couple of units to fill out the list and im considering either Maniaks or Regular boarboyz (I alread have my three battleline either way). My pros/cons as far as i can tell are:

Maniaks (+) have more attacks to proc mortal wounds, dont give up broken ranks (-) cant help score grand strat or cap objectives as battleline

Boarboyz (+) are battleline for grand strats/scenerios, better save (-) give up broken ranks

I am thinking either Waaagh or Hold the Line for my Grand Strategy. What are your opinions on the matter?

I lean towards Maniacs for the output.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Oreaper84 said:

What I've found is that it's worth to run a unit of 30 savages with a wardokk or two, and that helps with hold the line too. Its a lot of points but still a great anvil, so the rest of the army can focus on the offensive - eg. Im taking maniacs over boarboyz.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Congrats to @Shirtripper for the 4-1 on the weekend

Well done mate! 

Thanks man!!! I am tired on a level I did not know was possible but what a weekend it was. Getting best in Destruction took the cake.

Kragnos is a MONSTER, pun intended. And boars put the fear of Gorkamorka into everyone they played against. 

When I have brain cells again I'll write up a report!

• Like 7